"Hipster" PMs and Presidents Thread

He could've run this year; he ran for a seat in Congress in 2014 and did the best a Democrat has done there for decades...

This box needs to be made...
Edwin Edwards ends up winning the nomination in a bitter fight against his opponent. For party unity, he offers the vice-presidency to his opponent.

EDWARDS/HART 2016!

Deleted member 87099

How can I get that gqme?

Darkest Hour? It's on Steam, it's a World War 2 era Grand Strategy game, originally made as a mod to Hearts of Iron 2, developed by Paradox. But now, as its own standalone game you can play as any nation from 1933-1964, there's even an additional World War 1 scenario. The mods make the game even better, too. There's one where you can play in the modern day (the one I was using), one for the Drakaverse, one for the Cold War, one for a 'Grand Campaign' of sorts ranging from 1914 to 1991, one for the Fatherland world, etc. It really is a great game, I recommend it, though like every other Paradox game, it has quite the learning curve, even if this one isn't as exaggerated as others.

Darkest Hour? It's on Steam, it's a World War 2 era Grand Strategy game, originally made as a mod to Hearts of Iron 2, developed by Paradox. But now, as its own standalone game you can play as any nation from 1933-1964, there's even an additional World War 1 scenario. The mods make the game even better, too. There's one where you can play in the modern day (the one I was using), one for the Drakaverse, one for the Cold War, one for a 'Grand Campaign' of sorts ranging from 1914 to 1991, one for the Fatherland world, etc. It really is a great game, I recommend it, though like every other Paradox game, it has quite the learning curve, even if this one isn't as exaggerated as others.

Thanks! I'll download Steam and get it. Hopefully, it's free ;)

Glad that I could get Paradox an additional customer. Though checking Steam now it seems that the game costs 10$ and may have some issues running on Windows 10, so tread carefully, I guess.

I see, thanks (fortunately, I'm on Windows Eight)

My favorite mod is Kaiserreich, which follows the same dates as the vanilla game in an AH scenario based on German victory in WWI. There's lots of syndicalists and Baron Ungern and crazy shit like that.

Deleted member 87099

My favorite mod is Kaiserreich, which follows the same dates as the vanilla game in an AH scenario based on German victory in WWI. There's lots of syndicalists and Baron Ungern and crazy shit like that.

Oh yeah, slipped my mind, I can't believe that I forgot the games most popular (and debatably best) mod.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
To get back on track, Jeremy Thorpe strikes me as a figure who, had he never met Scott at the Kingham Stables, could have ended his career on a higher note. Obviously not as Prime Minister; but something of relative importance in the International Community.

An vague idea that I find has rooted itself is Thorpe becoming Secretary-General for the UN in the early 80's. The sketch I have currently is Thorpe, without the Scott issues, and perhaps not in Leadership, becomes a Junior Minister in the Foreign Office during a National Unity Government in the 1970's, which he uses to springboard into international prominence and become SG. Again, it's a very vague sketch (I'm not even sure is a Permanent Council Members can have Secretary-Generals from their countries), but that's something I've been thinking about.

@shiftygiant

I think it's an even better TL sketch with him meeting Scott. Biggest thing since Agent Lavender and given the Victorian implications of that color (sorry, "colour") and the world-shaking scandals that could result, in keeping...

To get back on track, Jeremy Thorpe strikes me as a figure who, had he never met Scott at the Kingham Stables, could have ended his career on a higher note. Obviously not as Prime Minister; but something of relative importance in the International Community.

An vague idea that I find has rooted itself is Thorpe becoming Secretary-General for the UN in the early 80's. The sketch I have currently is Thorpe, without the Scott issues, and perhaps not in Leadership, becomes a Junior Minister in the Foreign Office during a National Unity Government in the 1970's, which he uses to springboard into international prominence and become SG. Again, it's a very vague sketch (I'm not even sure is a Permanent Council Members can have Secretary-Generals from their countries), but that's something I've been thinking about.
This looks like an interesting concept, although usually the position of Sec-Gen is chosen as a compromise pick from someone not of the Big Five.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
@shiftygiant

I think it's an even better TL sketch with him meeting Scott. Biggest thing since Agent Lavender and given the Victorian implications of that color (sorry, "colour") and the world-shaking scandals that could result, in keeping...
The issue with him meeting Scott was that Scott was ultimately unstable and a ticking time bomb; granted, things could be done to ensure Scott was never shot at or come out with the truth (the relationship ends admirably, maybe without the NIC issue, or if Scott is able to go to America before he changes his mind), giving Thorpe a better political future, but with Scott things will end in failure, instead of being cut off at happy junctures.
This looks like an interesting concept, although usually the position of Sec-Gen is chosen as a compromise pick from someone not of the Big Five.
Ah, right.

Well, Ambassador to the UN if he goes into the diplomatic service, though my other idea involves him become an MEP, though the latter involves him loosing the Leadership after 1970 (Caroline isn't killed and the Party force his resignation due to the scandal involving campaign spending) and his seat in a mid/late-70's election, with Thorpe instead going to the European Parliament, butterflies assuming that the Liberals can gain seats. This could go to him getting into the position of one of the Presidents of Europe, though the timeframe between 1979-1985 may be too slim.

The issue with him meeting Scott was that Scott was ultimately unstable and a ticking time bomb; granted, things could be done to ensure Scott was never shot at or come out with the truth (the relationship ends admirably, maybe without the NIC issue, or if Scott is able to go to America before he changes his mind), giving Thorpe a better political future, but with Scott things will end in failure, instead of being cut off at happy junctures.

Ah, right.

Well, Ambassador to the UN if he goes into the diplomatic service, though my other idea involves him become an MEP, though the latter involves him loosing the Leadership after 1970 (Caroline isn't killed and the Party force his resignation due to the scandal involving campaign spending) and his seat in a mid/late-70's election, with Thorpe instead going to the European Parliament, butterflies assuming that the Liberals can gain seats. This could go to him getting into the position of one of the Presidents of Europe, though the timeframe between 1979-1985 may be too slim.

President of Europe or NATO SecGen sound like interesting ideas; though you have to take into account his Parkinsons diagnosis (which made him not, as he initially intended to, re-contest North Devon in 1983.)

Dan Quayle - One of those guys who nobody does because they assume he's overdone. I don't think I need to explain who he is. It's easy to make him POTUS - just kill HW. Could be interesting - a social conservative, a Reaganite in fiscal policy, and a gaffe machine.