I want to use this thread to ask for a little advice.

It's not so much about how the posters should look, I've got that part down pretty well... Instead, I'd like to ask you for recommendations on what present day or historical photos I should use for a collage-style background.

I need that particular background for an ATL interwar Welsh political poster. Not necessarily an election poster, though it will most probably be such. The pictures used for the collage should show various iconic (but not too iconic) parts of the Welsh countryside, cities and then existing industry.

So, what individual photos would you recommend to me ? Or what archive sites with databases of relevant historical photos ? (Remember, the historical photos need to be from a 1910s/1920s-1940s time frame.)

Thanks in advance for tips concerning this. :) I'll be very grateful for any help.

No, I want pictures that show genuinely Welsh locations and reflect the land's past and present, its nature, people, settlements and industry. I want that poster to be as Welsh as leaks and folk choirs. :) :eek: It should reflect Welsh patriotic values, but not in a cheesy way.

I want to use this thread to ask for a little advice.

It's not so much about how the posters should look, I've got that part down pretty well... Instead, I'd like to ask you for recommendations on what present day or historical photos I should use for a collage-style background.

I need that particular background for an ATL interwar Welsh political poster. Not necessarily an election poster, though it will most probably be such. The pictures used for the collage should show various iconic (but not too iconic) parts of the Welsh countryside, cities and then existing industry.

So, what individual photos would you recommend to me ? Or what archive sites with databases of relevant historical photos ? (Remember, the historical photos need to be from a 1910s/1920s-1940s time frame.)

Thanks in advance for tips concerning this. :) I'll be very grateful for any help.

I should point out the interwar period is perhaps the time in British history when national (ie Scottish/Welsh) national sentiment is at its nadir, at least in terms of politics. The sort of political posters found in Wales at election time in the Baldwin era were probably the same ones in Lancashire or London.

To see what political posters of the time would look like, try the Tory poster archive: http://bodley30.bodley.ox.ac.uk:8180/luna/servlet/view/all?sort=Shelfmark,Date

Aerofilms have some good interwar aerial maps: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

*clap, clap, clap*

Thank you, gents. Those sites might help. :cool:

But all I really need is recommendations on which specific parts of the Welsh panorama I should use in my poster. :) My general idea goes along the lines of "some cool shot of Snowdon", "the surface part of a coal mine, captured majestically instead of ominously", "quaint image of a Welsh village in a valley", "bustling streets of one of the cities", "cool shot of some famous castle or cathedral", all with an appropriately 1920s era surrounding (to avoid anachronisms).

The collage will mostly be on the right side of the poster, while the photo of the politician in question will be on left side. The poster is not so much an election poster as a morale-building one. "I believe that personality XY can help get Wales back on its feet !", that kind of idealistic stuff.