Habsburg Resurgence

• Leopold_Kupelwieser_001.jpg

Archduke John of Austria

21 September 1815, Graz

“What brings you to my little corner of the woods, nephew?”

The sun shone down through the trees, casting dappled shadows on the pavement, swaying gently in the slight breeze. It was summer in Graz, and though the city was only a hundred or so miles from Vienna, it felt so far removed from the hustle and bustle of the capital that Joseph might as well have been in Temesvar. He lifted his face to the sky and inhaled deeply. In his uncle’s small estate- small by the standards of the Hapsburgs, that is- there was no one else sitting with him in the garden.

He opened his eyes and regarded his uncle. “Uncle, may I speak frankly with you?”

John laughed. “Joseph, if you cannot speak frankly with me, then I am not a very good uncle, am I?”

Joseph laughed as well- his uncle John was a jovial character, his favourite relative apart from his older sister- and sipped from the cup of wine beside him. “I almost forgot, uncle- my congratulations for your degree. From the University of- Scotland, is it not?”

“Edinburgh. But I must say, Joseph, the way they talk about it in Graz, it’s like I inherited Britain!”

They sat in companionable silence for a while. Joseph looked down at his feet and swung them about.

“Uncle, how was Britain? How is their so-called industrialization coming along?”

John tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Hmm. It’s fascinating. They are digging a vast network of canals- I can see one possible canal here, and it is from Vienna to the Adriatic. They are mining coal, and the coal drives so many machines! But first and foremost is the trains. The railroads. Locomotives, they call them, and they move faster than the fastest carriage or the most motivated equestrian.”

Joseph was silent for a while again. “I’ve been thinking of visiting Britain. It’s my opinion- from what I’ve heard from others, at least- that industrialization is the way forward for us. We have so many natural resources- if Britain is, by this ‘revolution of the economy’, benefiting so, then surely we will benefit so much more by adopting it.”

John settled back into his seat. “I do see what you mean,” he said thoughtfully. “You remember my uncle, Albert Casimir? There is a tin factory near Voitsberg and coal mines at Köflach. I have been thinking, you know, about a rail crossing the Alps at the Semmering Pass. There’s a lot of potential in Styria alone.”

Joseph nodded. “Yes!” he exclaimed. His arm swept magnificently before the two of them, addressing a vista only he could see. “I envision a strip of territory along the southern coast of the Adriatic, uncle. The serfs of the Littoral and Dalmatia, working for the glory of the Empire, and earning a modest keep. Sailors, ship makers, fishermen, manufacturers of all shapes and sizes. Of a coastline Austria has the least of all the Great Powers- but if we can drive to the Adriatic, seize it by the horns-”

“Joseph,” John interrupted, looking worried. “You don’t intend to challenge your father, do you? It’s all well and good to have ideas, but your father is still alive-” he paused and chuckled, “-and isn’t that an odd thing to say.”

Joseph looked puzzled for a while. “No, uncle,” he replied truthfully. “I can’t do anything now. But reasoning it out here as we have- industry shall be my main concern,” he resolved, voice growing stronger and more confident. “As Metternich faces Russia and the continent- I shall rebuild the system from scratch. From within. If Austria is not prosperous, it shall be unstable. And instability will not be good for anyone.”

John patted his nephew on the back as the two of them stood up and made their meandering way down the pavement. “Don’t stress yourself out too much about the future of the Empire,” he advised. “It will sort itself out. It always has. Work is good, but you must think about other things. In any case, it’s up to your father whether he wants to conduct negotiations with investors and suchlike.” His eyes gleamed mischievously. “And what’s this I hear about an impending marriage?”

Joseph buried his face in his hands. “Damn it, uncle,” his voice came, muffled, “I can’t marry a twelve-year-old.”

John threw his arm around his nephew’s shoulders and helped him to light his pipe. “Look on the bright side, Joseph,” he suggested. “You thought of it, didn’t you? Metternich says you were talking about closer relations between the Italian states. Well, you’ve got your wish- a Savoyard princess is coming to Austria. And she looks pretty in her portrait, at least.” I must speak to Franz about delaying the marriage until a less outrageous age. Five years should do the trick. If Franz even listens to me anymore, that is.

“Karl I of Spain looked fairly decent in his portrait too,” came the reply.

Last edited:
  • Industrialization arc ahoy!

422px-George_IV_bust.jpg

"A right bastard and arse-hole", according to Joseph Ferdinand's 1816-1817 Journal

12 January 1816, London

Joseph blinked as rows of red-and-gold soldiers raised their weapons to their shoulders and fired, followed by a deafening artillery barrage. His eyes were overwhelmed by spots; stumbling, he nearly fell, if not for the timely intervention of the Regent himself.

“Welcome to London, Herr Joseph,” the heir to the British throne drawled. Over twice Joseph’s age but dressed as if he was still twenty, George Augustus Frederick of Hanover bore the marks of what would become his default state later in life; a double chin and the beginnings of a prodigious belly and severe gout in his right hand and arm. Joseph grinned nervously and stepped backward swiftly; a court painter, of which there were at least twenty, was sketching the encounter frenziedly in a corner. Over the pristine wooden boards of the dock, there was an exquisite crimson carpet, and Joseph was led along it with great ceremony.

So this was London. Extravagant, booming, vice-ridden. Joseph had had an image of Vienna, in truth- for they were brothers in the war against Napoleon, were they not? He reckoned that Berlin would be similar to Vienna in its austere sensibility, and Moscow too, if slightly more ornate and Asiatic. But London matched his image of New York, Philadelphia, and the lands west of Louisiana. Dangerous. But the extravagance? Nothing he had ever imagined.

The waterfront of Britain was glimmering, jewel-encrusted. Young dandies, their hair coiffed, glasses of alcohol in their hands, and women. Women everywhere- some, ladies of the nobility, in bodices that cinched tight and exposed the tops of their heaving chest; others, base-born city-dwellers, with a wild look to them like the Gypsies of Transylvania. And, at his side, George of Hanover. The wastrel (for that was how Joseph was now referring to him in his head) made small talk, nattering on about the latest fashion, all the way into the carriage, all through the mind-numbingly slow procession to the House of Parliament- “the first stop in the grand tour!” the wastrel had said, a grin on his ugly face.

Joseph did not like George of Hanover.

Last edited:
  • Okay, so I haven't updated in a while. For that I'm sorry, because I'm in the midst of exams. I'll try to provide at least an update a week for the next month. Also need to look through the past few comments in the thread as well as a couple other previous threads re: Austria in the 19th century, since I've kinda let myself slip a bit, owing to studying.

Updated the font for the past few posts. Added a picture to the immediately previous one. And the industrialization arc continues.

220px-Franz_von_Pillersdorf.jpg

Baron Franz von Pillersdorf

15 January 1816, (regrettably still) London

Between London and Paris, Joseph preferred Paris. For all that it had been, in retrospect, a period where he could easily have been gotten rid off by the myriad Republicans that roamed the city, or even at the whims of Napoleon himself, it was better. More fun. In London, the nobility enjoyed pleasure and making money. Joseph mostly enjoyed the latter; as for pleasure, the pursuit thereof in London seemed cluttered somehow, volatile and roiling. In Britain, the nobility had no responsibilities- yes, that was it. That was what he disliked about the country. A country run by common-borns was all well and good- so long as they provided the proper respect, and made sure the country didn’t run itself into the ground, but the nobility’s lack of participation galled him.

Right now he was sitting with his feet laboriously propped up on the table as a fellow Austrian penned down his thoughts on paper opposite him. The atmosphere of Borough Road College, founded nearly eighteen years hence, was ascetic and quiet; academics moved back and forth through dusty stacks of books, and Baron Franz von Pillersdorf, councillor of the Baron von Baldacci, who was running the occupation systems in France, was one of these men.

“You are leaving tomorrow, yes?” Joseph inquired, his fingers tapping nervously on the wood of the chair. He was spoiling for his pipe, but knew that smoking in an enclosed space would not endear him to the inhabitants of this temporary refuge any more than it would endear him to George of Hanover if he started smoking at one of his banquets, of which there had been… many.

Pillersdorf grunted. Rising to stretch, he observed the heir over his pince-nez. “I’ve made a fair number of comparative studies. The industrialization of Britain is proceeding along very, very nicely. What’s your opinion, Archduke?”

“I haven’t seen many signs of industry. But politically, it-” Joseph coughed, “-it disgusts me, I suppose, that most of the nobility engages in such frivolity.”

Pillersdorf adjusted his pince-nez. “I’d expect so. Still, the councillors are competent. And the industrialists need not be the nobility- that’s one of the impacts of industrialization.”

Joseph nodded and transferred his weak leg to the floor. “We can incorporate them into the pre-existing structure by ennobling them. Imagine that- industrialists spreading the craze among their sedate, lazy colleagues. If we turn the nobility into capitalists, imagine how that would go- more control over our resources. Increased productivity. Steel in every home, uniforms in every closet. Vienna, a metropolis like London. Except less decadent.” He cracked a grin.

Pillersdorf chuckled. “One can only hope, Archduke,” he remarked, and, crossing the table, walked with Joseph to the exit. “My thanks for visiting. After this, I shall have to return to Vienna to sort out the finances with von Warthausen- I do not relish the task.” He shivered. “Is there anyone whom you would like me to pass my wishes to?”

Joseph thought. Rummaging in his pocket, he pulled out a little monogrammed handkerchief that he’d bought from a tailor in the city. “Pass this to my nephew, will you?”

Pillersdorf squinted at it. FB, it read.

“Franz Bonaparte,” Joseph prompted.

“Ah,” Pillersdorf breathed, briefly disconcerted at the Archduke’s concern towards the son of the man who had dismembered Austria. “Well, I’ll make sure that it finds its way into his hands.”

• 220px-Nathan_Rothschild.jpg

Nathan Mayer Rothschild, the British branch of the Rothschild family business

19 January 1816, London

Nathan Mayer Rothschild shook Joseph’s hand firmly. “Welcome to N M Rothschild & Sons,” he said in precise German, as precise and measured as his English had been a few minutes before when speaking to another one of his wealthy clients, a nervous-looking fop who looked like he’d had to sell the family silverware to cover his gambling debts.

“Thank you,” Joseph replied, and settled down opposite one of the members of what would become the richest family in Europe. Nathan Rothschild settled down on the other side and folded his arms over his stomach. “May I ask,” Rothschild ventured, “what is the purpose of this visit?”

Joseph smiled. “I’ve been following your success quite closely, Herr Rothschild,” he remarked. Truthfully, he had only begun doing reading the previous year. “I met your brother- James Mayer- in Paris. A very astute financier, and of impeccable moral standards.” He’d met the Parisian Rothschild only in the barest sense of the word,” having recognized him fondling one of the Polish women at Milla’s bordello in passing.

“Thank you,” Rothschild smiled back, inflating slightly with pride.

“I just got this idea, you see. The Interior Minister- von Warthausen- he’s thinking of founding a bank. Do you think it would be all right if you, I suppose, asked your brother to help out?” Joseph’s face betrayed a carefully falsified expression of embarrassment. Rothschild laughed lightly.

“My brother will involve himself in any profitable enterprise, as will any other member of our family.” He leaned forward. “Please, allow me to make clear, Archduke. The Rothschilds have business in every corner of Europe- we are loyal to our own families, and to the states which we have made our own. Attempting to pressure or bribe us into serving Vienna alone is rather pointless. If Britain offers better profit- and it does- then we will serve Britain, as I am doing now. And so on, for Naples and France and Austria.”

Joseph deflated. “Oh,” he muttered. “Well, it was worth a shot.” He removed his pince-nez and rubbed his face; Rothschild watched him patiently and with not a little bit of amusement. “My father intends to ennoble your whole family; I’m talking to him to expedite the process. Until then, your family might want to know that they might be given the hereditary title of Freiherr soon enough… Baron von Rothschild.”

“Thank you,” Rothschild replied, inflating once more, his fingers drumming on the table.

“We’re also thinking of industrializing, and would appreciate investment. Imagine, if you will-” and here Joseph removed a little map from his pocket, an exquisite vista of Austria with little gold leafing, “-imagine Bohemia, fully industrialized on a similar scale to this great nation of Britain, supplying manufactured goods to Prussia and Saxony and Bavaria. Venice- the old home of the Serene Republic- a naval power again, building steamboats such as you see in the rivers of England, teaching aspiring naval officers the secrets of the sea. Lombardy- a textile and silk paradise, the richest province of the Empire, the cockpit of the peninsula. Temesvar has a reasonable source of coal. Transylvania is rich in iron, lead, gold and copper. Hungary is undergoing an agricultural revolution, exporting large amounts of grain and wool. It will be the breadbasket of the Balkans-”

Rothschild concealed a flash of excitement and smiled blandly, noting to himself that not once had Joseph mentioned the word “Italy”. “And what about the Hereditary Lands and Galicia?” he asked.

“I suppose Vienna can be the centre of finance,” Joseph said doubtfully, “and Galicia has- might have- oil, for whatever purpose it may be exploited. I expect uses can be found for it.” He leaned forward. “So. Investment?”

“If it is repaid, I suppose we can consider,” Rothschild replied, and shuffled the papers on his desk in a bid not to look at Joseph. His carefully organized mind was whirring, recalling old contacts in the railroad industry, and grizzled captains of the Royal Navy who owed him one or two favours. “Nothing is set in stone, of course; but your pitch was most convincing.”

“Mmm.”

Last edited:
  • Edit: I'll have to check the Hungarian politicians that would participate in such a dumb attempt at a coup. Then again, fron what I read, the magnates were hardly competent at the time.

*whistles nonchalantly*

Update schedule hopefully still on track. Haven't written a new update in a while; too much work to catch up on.

200px-Nicholas_Vansittart,_1st_Baron_Bexley.jpg

Nicholas Vansittart

23 January 1816, (outskirts of) London

Nicholas Vansittart, 1st Baron Bexley, passed a hand over his face as the carriage juddered. Joseph could still hear the bugles blaring in the distance, and in his head he recalled the portly figure of George of Hanover waving goodbye. And good riddance, he thought viciously. “Are you alright?” he asked Vansittart.

“Fine,” the Chancellor of the Exchequer replied tiredly. “Taxation and debt are running us into the ground. Napoleon drove our economy mad.” He seemed to rouse himself. “It’s good, though- your visit. Britain needs friends.”

“You have them. There was a Congress in Vienna, was there not?”

Vansittart smiled without humour. “Good feeling alone is not enough. We put a new crown on the head of the elder George, but he knows not who he is. And the younger George feasts every day with women in his lap. We are a kingdom without a king.”

“Better to have a kingdom run by Parliament than an Empire with a buffoon on the throne,” Joseph said thoughtlessly, and was rewarded by Vansittart ’s eyes widening. He blanched. “Don’t tell anyone about this-”

“I shan’t.”

Joseph gave a quick, spasmodic nod; he settled into his seat and looked out of the window. The two men sat in silence. The carriage juddered; Joseph looked out of the window and saw a boat pass by, steam belching from its turrets as it churned down a river. Smoke trails rose in the distance

“In any case,” Vansittart roused himself again, “you wanted a tour of our industry, didn’t you? I must thank you for giving me the chance to have a vacation- nothing less than a member of the government for a Prince of Austria.” His spine straightened unconsciously. “Right, so a quick briefing on industrial development. We’ve done research into canals and railroads… good and sturdy iron, and textiles as well...”

Last edited:
  • Schoefft_József_Széchenyi.jpg

István Széchenyi

30 January 1816, Portsmouth

Joseph clinked his tumbler with that of Count István Széchenyi as they looked out over the veritable army of men bustling over the fortifications and shipping facilities of the new city. He’d run into the first lieutenant while the tour had been ongoing; it was a damned shame that his uncle had been unable to convince his father regarding industrialization. Still, Rothschild had advised advancing the possibility of a loan. Joseph concurred; it wasn’t like he was the most knowledgeable at this topic, anyway.

“So, how was the Emperor like, anyway?” the Count asked, his eyes dark and intent under his bushy eyebrows. He had joined the army at seventeen, in 1808; Joseph had not yet been conveyed from Austria. The two of them had probably met in passing- one of the army of scions whom his father had attempted to lump him in with.

Joseph waggled his hand vaguely. “He was a nice man. Distant, patronizing, and rarely his true self in my presence.” Discreetly, he cast to the back of his mind Napoleon returning from Leipzig, Napoleon planning the invasion of Russia, Napoleon on the day that he left his wife and child forever.

Széchenyi nodded with what looked like satisfaction. “I would expect so,” he remarked, “I find that men who are so often made to be something that they are not- they often fail to live up to the things demanded of them. Napoleon included.”

Joseph nodded. Then: “When are you leaving the service, then?”

His new friend grinned under his beard and waggled his hands. “A decade more of travelling, I suppose. The women in London, I hear, love foreign nobles.”

“That's because the British nobles are such boors,” Joseph interjected nastily, and the two men shared a quiet laugh at the expense of their hosts milling about below.

Joseph pushed himself back from the balcony, stumbling slightly. Széchenyi straightened up smoothly and followed him indoors. “So, what are you doing when you return, Archduke?”

Joseph tossed the remark over his shoulder, his gaze fixed on the staircase as he manoeuvred his leg carefully from one step to the other. “Industrialization. My uncle found investors, but my father disapproves, like he always does. I'll convince him- and, barring that, I'll convince Metternich.” He cricked his neck to the side as Széchenyi fell in step beside him. “The whole system is solidifying. Stagnant.”

Széchenyi’s eyes flared involuntarily; he tapped his foot on the floor and exhaled, dipping his head. “Yes, it is,” he breathed, stretching the muscles in his back as Joseph made his slow way down. “Do you mind if I speak frankly? I've been doing some thinking...”

Joseph waved a hand, smiling genuinely. “By all means, Count. Only by knowing the grievances of the subjects involved can we know what to amend, after all.”

Last edited:
  • Good god, reading translated Wikipedia pages makes my head hurt.

28a19c74371ed2b9de285ffef855f97b.jpg

Franz I, briefly both Holy Roman Emperor and Emperor of Austria- the first Doppelkaiser in history

28 February 1816, Vienna

“Milord,” the chamberlain bowed low, “your son is here to see you.”

“Again?” Franz flapped his hand from his seat. “What part of ‘he’s unreliable’ do you not understand? I gave very specific instructions.”

The chamberlain bowed lower, if that was even humanly possible, his wig nearly brushing the dusty floor, and scurried out. Franz propped his elbow on the expensive wooden arm of his chair and fumed. He’d always known John and Joseph were in cahoots, the two of them… industrialization, or whatever it was- it would be change. A waste of effort. And the economy…

“Your highness, may I come in?” Metternich was at the door, his eyes wide. Franz waved his hand to indicate acknowledgement, but his Foreign Minister had already crossed the floor to sit down. A quick and angry part of his mind flared at the blatant disrespect, but the sluggish majority comprising the rest of his learned behaviours and habits tamped down the knee-jerk reaction. “What is it?”

“Your highness, do you recall the Rothschilds?”

Franz scratched his jaw. “...yes,” he replied warily. “They’re the rich Jews, yes?”

“They have single-handedly bailed us out of a growing financial depression!” Metternich explained, his voice quivering. “Those investors who Archduke John recruited from Britain have been encouraged to redouble their efforts by Nathan Rothschild, the British one. Naples and France are offering loans in the millions to counter the deficit. Stadion is negotiating the foundation of the Austrian National Bank- a ridiculous name, but it’s his project- he’s negotiating it in the next room with Salomon Rothschild, who’s providing a loan of his own to keep the bank afloat-”

Franz settled down into his chair heavily. “Well,” he remarked, keeping his voice under control, “that’s good. Make sure that Warthausen does not forget his duties as Minister of the Interior, then. Yes?”

“The Minister of the Interior is far more concerned with finances than censorship, your highness,” Metternich ventured.

Franz tensed slightly. Still, did he not welcome assistance with this tiresome and thankless task, that of running this ramshackle, glittering Empire? He supposed a compromise could be reached. “And who do I have to thank for this, Metternich?”

Metternich glanced at him.

“Archduke Joseph Ferdinand, your highness.”

Franz drummed his fingers on his chair. He’d never done anything like this to his father, certainly. Then again, he’d never had much of an aptitude for ruling. “You may go, Metternich. If they want to invest, go ahead and let them; just make sure to inform me that they aren’t fiddling with the… with things.” He waggled his fingers. Metternich would understand, he always did.

His favourite minister bowed deeply and swept out. Money was always welcome, Franz reckoned. A comfortable grease to the wheels of state. He could always transfer control of the censorship to himself if necessary.

Now: a knock at the door again. “Enter!” Ah, so it was Joseph.

“How did you get in?” Franz demanded.

“I dodged your chamberlain, Father,” his son replied, smiling genially. Franz did not, however, let his guard down. “I came to ask you if we could have access to the mines in Bohemia and Transylvania. Coal and iron, copper and magnesium.”

Franz rubbed his eyes. “And what is this for?”

“Investment. Did Prince Metternich tell you about the loans? The loans require a bit of work on our part as well… but we shall surely recoup the losses, enough to pay the Rothschilds and their associates back a thousand times.”

“I appreciate your optimism,” Franz said, sarcasm thick in his tone. A sudden tiredness seized him. “How do you intend to get all this work done?” inquired he, wearily.

“Investment,” Joseph said. “Von Warthausen’s Austrian National Bank is instituting a sort of loan system. The Hungarian and Bohemian high nobility are just lining up for it; as well as some would-be industrialists. There are dreams, I hear, of railroads across the land. Just imagine,” Joseph continued, eyes widening to take in a vista that Franz could never see, “our troops insinuated in every nook and cranny of the country. Nowhere will be safe for revolutionaries...”

“I tire of this,” Franz said shortly. Savagely, he tore a scrap of paper from the pile beside him and scribbled quickly on it. Joseph watched in silence. “You will… forgive me...” Franz remarked, through gritted teeth, his knuckles white on the pen, “...for my pessimism.” He peered up through his pince-nez. “If these… investments… do not yield any fruit in, oh, a year, I will tear away all the rights you and your British lackeys have to the mines.” So saying, he ducked his head and punctuated his statement with a flourish, puncturing the parchment and sending ink splattering across the page. Wordlessly, Joseph provided the wax.

“I will try not to disappoint, Father,” Joseph said.

Franz threw a glass paperweight at his son as he left the room. It hit the wooden door as it closed and splintered; splintered into a hundred glittering pieces. It was not good, this feeling of impotence and confusion. Francis did not know what he was going to do, but he was certainly not about to do nothing at all.

Unfortunately for him, that was exactly what he would end up doing.

Last edited:
  • In accordance with my weekly updating schedule...

Hofburg%20palace%20ed_cr.jpg

The Hofburg Palace Gardens

2 March 1816, Vienna

Joseph had set up a temporary shooting gallery in the Hofburg gardens.

The arrival of numerous British investors, in fits and starts, to Vienna, had precipitated a remarkable new vitality in the city. The entire Habsburg family had also come, from their possessions in Italy- Uncle Ferdinand and his sister, Marie-Louise, who refused to see him still- and from their respective little refuges from Franz’s informants- Uncle Charles and Uncle John. Now British-designed textiles and goods resided within Viennese shop-windows, and the Bohemian and Hungarian nobility had fluttered out of the city, their faces flushed at the sheer prosperity it was experiencing, to spread the cult of industry.

And, well, Joseph could not say that it was of his design. Not truthfully, at least. Circumstances had sort of… come together.

His and Uncle John’s efforts had led to the rise of a consortium of Austrian-minded investors in Britain, who had come as a troupe, picking up hangers-on in France and Naples. The Rothschilds were clearly the masterminds and the backbones; there were even some Frankfurt-born men hopping around, speaking their odd dialect, from Amschel Rothschild in Frankfurt am Main.

Now the grey-faced bureaucrats had begun to come out in fits and starts, fanning their faces in the hot summer sun, gawking at the British youths hawking little pistols in broken German. A few, glamourous Metternich and the other high-ranking Ministers included, were trying their hand at shooting the targets, rather heavy-handedly depicting men in the French colours and a number of ridiculously short caricatures of Napoleon.

Joseph put a smile on his face and waved. Deep down, he ached for Prague, with its cultured sensibility and the foreign languages that everyone there seemed to be learning nowadays- and, of course, the men, movements and works of art that Dobrovský so loudly and wonderfully promoted in his letters. But he needed to play host, since his father was sulking in the palace and clanging around in his bedroom with the hangers-on who had docked in Trieste with the British.

He’d not visited Kolbe since that day in June, apart from a few cursory stops with Dobrovský and a few Czech books. The Linguistics Department at the university had begun to encounter a minor renaissance, motivated by the frequent presence of the heir to Austria in its immediate environs. Apart from a higher salary and a more concerted effort to keep the building presentable, though, there was no physical change. That would soon change, though, if Joseph had anything to say about it.

There was a man approaching him; Joseph shook himself internally and greeted Salomon Rothschild with a smile and a handshake.

“I hope that you are not leading us on a wild goose chase,” the elder Rothschild remarked, smiling genially. “Your bureaucracy, if I may be blunt, needs to be sped up. Remember, you promised to provide the bulk of the iron for the railways. Sooner or later, my associates will grow bored and we don’t even know how much return we can reap, anyhow...”

“Please, just wait for a while longer,” Joseph replied, his voice thin and slightly wheedling. “Enjoy the sights, sounds and pleasures of Vienna! Are your brothers not coming to be ennobled?”

Rothschild shrugged expansively. “We have not received an invitation.”

“I shall make sure that it comes soon enough. The railway planners have, I think, obtained all the information required for the projects, yes?”

“As I understand it, they will have to take a closer look at the environs to make a clearer judgement. As such, our men will be staying around for longer. I, myself, do not think that is so much of a bad thing. Do you disagree?”

Joseph shook his head.

• It's because the exams are over, that's why I'm suddenly enjoying an upsurge in writing inspiration. I'll write as it comes; this snippet below was motivated by my discovery of the 1972 movie Cabaret:

29 March 1935, Etzelburg

The interior of the club was a heady mix of sweet-scented fumes, pungent tobacco of all kinds, and- of course- the stink of men’s sweat. Such was life in wartime. Anton blinked furiously in the dim light and stumbled further in, almost colliding into a major with a thin line of accolades glistening, carefully polished, upon his lapel. The latter gripped him before he face-planted onto the fine Bulgarian rug; the split-second when their faces were inches apart was enough to trigger some basic recognition.

“Oberst Habsburg!” the major exclaimed, just slightly louder than required. Heads turned in the crowd: petite dames wreathed in ermine, their arms wrapped possessively with their pick of the night, spun around and fluttered their eyelids, attempting to curtsey and bow at the same time- all the better to show off more of their cleavage. The numerous officers and soldiers in the cabaret club, conditioned to do so since their conscription (which would have happened either way, regardless of the war), snapped a sharp salute- even the exaggerated features of the man onstage twitched into an almost comical expression of deference, before he seized the opportunity to take the slightly discomfiting sensation of extreme scrutiny away from Anton and shouted,

Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome!

Anton fended off the last few admirers who approached, seeking to hold a conversation with one of the most powerful men in the Empire, and advanced to a chair at the front seat. The orchestra was striking up a quick, exciting little beat; Karl, Hugo and Orosz and the gang were already looking slightly buzzed.

Meine damen und herren, und der ehrenhaften Erzherzog Anton-” the Master of Ceremonies bowed elaborately in his direction, and Anton flushed. “-Mesdames et messieurs, ladies and gentlemen! Guten abend, bonsoir...

Niclas sketched a sloppy salute, as the Master of Ceremonies twirled his stick around, and pushed a glass of wine over. “Good of you to come and join us, Habsburg. Trust the train wasn’t too crowded?”

Anton rolled his eyes. Members of the family always got at least one carriage set aside for them, unless the train was truly intolerably crowded. And members of the public always appreciated a Habsburg showing some consideration for them. “Lots of Brits and Frenchies around tonight, eh?”

“Why d’you think he’s speaking in English and French?” Augustus burped and jerked his head back at specific members of the audience; following his friend’s gaze, Anton pinpointed several thick pockets of servicemen and officers, the former wearing the drab khaki of the English military; the latter sporting the fancy tricorn hats that were all the rage in the most fashionable armed forces on the continent. (Not like they’d be wearing it on the Eastern Front, though.) “Ah.”

Leave your troubles outside. So- life is disappointing? Forget it! We have no troubles here! Here life is beautiful… The girls are beautiful… Even the orchestra is beautiful…

Anatol downed another shot of champagne and motioned for another. Anton fumbled with his cigarette and exhaled gustily when it finally caught. “Of course life is beautiful here,” he said, gaze flitting distractedly over the scantily-clad girls assembling onstage to catcalls and applause. “Not like Etzelburg has a chance to be bombed or occupied.”

Budapest,” Radek corrected him, almost automatically. “And even if it were occupied, not like that would be any fault of yours,” he added, unnecessarily and slightly viciously.

The mood of the table was changing.

Outside it is winter- but inside here, it’s so hot. Every night we have to battle with the girls to keep them from taking off all their clothes. Who knows- tonight we may lose the battle!

Pavel coughed wetly into his embroidered napkin. “Well,” he said tentatively, and in a most conciliatory manner, “to be fair, the current conflict was inevitable. We should, all of us, count ourselves as lucky, ja? To be involved in one of the great struggles for mastery of the Continent.” He unfolded a small map from his pocket- one of his favourite props- “we are protected, no? The Swedes can’t cross Oresund if Denmark and Prussia keep up their good work...”

Radek grunted. He never could apologize.

The conversation then shifted. Anton was working up a nice buzz by now, and some of the pretty young things hanging on stiff French arms had worked out that now was an appropriate time to approach, dragging their paramours along with them. So it turned out that their little table had turned into an almost impromptu centre of attention for the club.

“...and the language, you know, it’s just slightly unintelligible since afore I was born, right?” a Prussian officer, his famous helmet covered in sweet-smelling lipstick, complained. “Pandering to der Poles can’t possibly work out for anyone, ja?”

To which a thickly-accented Lithuanian rebutted, his voice laced even thicker with sarcasm, “Ach, I don’t know, it works rather well in our Slavic fringes. You don’t want to pander to the Poles; you want something like Russia, is it?”

The music reached a crescendo. Anton laced his fingers over his stomach and turned to the next girl. It was funny how he was more sociable once there were a few more drinks in him. Beside him, Hugo and Orosz had charged into an increasingly nonsensical argument over the Americans entering the war, their heads wreathed in smoke, adoring women surrounding them. The club buzzed on.

• In concert with my efforts to get back into the writing groove, presenting another weekly update.

salomon_rothschild_original.jpg

Salomon Rothschild- the Austrian branch of the family

15 March 1816, Vienna

Salomon Rothschild traced his finger over the map, squinting his eyes in the dim light. The breathy calls of birds caressed his ears, followed by the cool spring breeze. The windows in Joseph Ferdinand’s private office- a far cozier nook than his cramped conditions at the Hofburg- had been thrust wide open, and even now the railway planners his brother had contributed from London were making measurements and talking loudly in engineering jargon. Fortunately, the Austrian heir seemed to be at least tangentially following the conversation.

“So,” Salomon said quietly, silencing the conversation, “Vienna to Trieste. Danube, Elbe, Oder, Vistula.” He turned to fix the planners with a steely stare, with a self-confidence borne of belonging to one of the richest non-aristocratic families in Europe. “I asked for railways. Why are you now offering me canals?”

One of the planners adjusted his monocle nervously. Joseph Ferdinand folded his arms and discreetly inverted his pipe out the window, eliciting a scream from below as one of the poor ladies-in-waiting to one of his aunts got an unholy amount of tobacco in her hair. “Uh, Master Rothschild, we decided that, er, it would be better, since canals are far faster than railways, and far, far cheaper. Um- you see, the cost goes down by-” he looked at his compatriots nervously, urging them silently to back him up. Salomon leaned on the desk and folded his arms.

“I think you might be exaggerating a bit, Herr Rothschild.” Joseph waved his hand, as if chasing away a stray fly. “The Danube-Elbe-Oder-Vistula canal is but a pipe dream at this point in time. Vienna to Trieste- now that is the real meat of the matter!” He leaned forward, pince-nez catching the light and redirecting it into Salomon’s eyes. “With such a canal, in the future, we will be able to move goods to the coast far quicker.” He began to pace, dragging his finger through the mountain ranges, scratching the yellowing paper. “Franz Anton von Gerstner in Prague- I mean from Prague, he’s in Vienna right now- he’s gathered a bunch of Bohemian nobles to finance a line from Budweis to Linz.”

Beckoning to Salomon, the Archduke stood over the map, arms folded. “So. Budweis to Linz, and Vienna to Trieste. Of course, Herr Rothschild, you’d rather a canal be built in a year or so; but canals take decades, regrettably.” He sighed quietly; Rothschild had come round to stand beside him, and Joseph poured him a tumbler of claret.

“Therefore… the Vienna-Trieste canal shall be the only one we shall be asking you to assist with.” Joseph cleared his throat. “A few days of discussion, and this is what we’ve agreed on.” In a few sentences, he explained the little black scribbles of technical jargon scrawled across the maps. “Here- Agram to Etzelburg, transporting agricultural goods from the Hungarian plains to the Adriatic. There- a very in-depth network in Lombardy-Venetia, from Mailand to Venetien. It being the richest province in the Empire, I should imagine the goods coming from there should please investors.

“And here, a line from Prague to Pressburg to Vienna. Yes, Herr Rothschild, I know, it won’t speed up the movement of goods, but it will speed up the development of Austria as a whole, and if Austria were to be developed- developed properly- every city bustling and populous, and a network of railroads linking the country in a vast Imperial firmament- well, then, London would have a most reliable and powerful ally on the continent!”

Salomon cleared his throat.

“Well,” he said, rather lamely, following the Archduke’s rather impassioned and impromptu speech, “you are responsible for these projects, so I shall put my trust in you, Archduke Joseph. That adds up to four enterprises, does it not?”

“Four enterprises. If it please you, the Prague-Pressburg-Vienna line could wait. Northern Italy and Agram-Etzelburg would be, I reckon, the projects most likely to bear fruit within a short period of time.”

Salomon nodded firmly. “So it is decided, then. I would, of course, like to remind you, Archduke Joseph, that this is an investment. We expect returns.”

Joseph nodded once, his eyes glittering in the dim evening light. “And so we shall give it to you.”

• 4812.jpg

Old Linz

21 April 1816, Linz

The men from Vienna came by one day.

Max remembered it well. He had been slouching around his father’s shop, directing customers to purchase with a sour look on his face, keeping one eye at the shop window for pretty girls. Then, instead of a pretty girl, he saw a skinny, short little man, a monocle in one eye and a sneer on his face.

The man wasn’t German; Max knew it instinctively. Germans knew their own. This man wasn’t German. The door clanked as the man entered the Hoffman store; he looked around with thinly disguised contempt and half-coughed out in bastardized German:

“Are there any able-bodied men who are looking for work?”

His father whacked him on the back of his knees and Max stumbled forward, face-planting in the dust in front of the monocle-sporting man. He heard a muffled squeak; looking up, red-faced, he saw that the man had taken a few steps backward.

Max attempted to smile. “I am looking for work,” he said, slowly and ponderously, unsure of how much German the foreigner knew.

“Follow me,” the foreigner said curtly, and turned to leave. Max picked himself off the floor and dusted himself off, giving his father a dirty look. Then he left.

Like many of the farmers who lived on the land on the outskirts of Linz, Max had to walk five miles to get to the city, often with a few mules behind him, carrying the produce of the day, following his father. He’d never learnt his letters; neither did he want to. The librarians and bankers of Linz had sons his age, but he’d never been able to relate to them. He did not speak their pretentious tongue, or consult over pages and pages of numbers as they did, and he was proud of that. And so were his friends. That was why he’d never gotten into a fight with a city boy in all his seventeen years. (Well, not an altercation that he’d consider a fight; they couldn’t even throw a punch.)

Max entered the town square, and saw to his surprise that there were a large number of boys his age milling around, chatting to one another in amiable tones. He saw Willy and hastened over, nodding at Kurt as he slid into the tight knot of conversation. The town clock chimed.

“They’re building a canal,” Walther told him, passing him the small tin mug that they used to hold the cheap beer snitched from the pub nearby. “From Vienna to Trieste, apparently.”

“Where the fuck is Trieste?” Vienna was a far-off dream, a metropolis next to sleepy Linz. If not for Joseph Ferdinand, Max would have lived and died on the outskirts of Linz, and if not, maybe on some godforsaken field in Italy, a bayonet in his hands.

Walther scrunched up his face. “The sea, I think. We just got it from Napoleon. Probably?” He flicked his eyes to behind Max, and Max turned to see a horse-drawn cart, filled to the brim with wheelbarrows and shovels. “We need to dig out the dirt. Build trenches. Build a trench all the way to Vienna.” He elbowed Max. “You man enough?”

Max puffed out his chest. “You’re fucking stupid, Zimmermann. Of course I’m man enough.”

“So it’s decided then,” Willy said, and Max realized that the entire group of boys had been listening in on the conversation. “We’re going to go to Trieste and we’re going to dig a canal to Vienna and we’ll make a bloody massive pile of thalers while doing so.” A ragged cheer went up, and the nine young men went to sign their names on the stained roll of paper being passed around at the other end of the town square.

It would be the last they would see of their hometown.

Last edited:
  • Richard_Trevithick_portrait.jpg

Richard Trevithick in Eisenerz

31 September 1816, Eisenerz

Archduke John of Austria tapped his foot on the ground and gestured grandly out over the small town and the multitude of little figures by the mines, as a gust of autumn wind ruffled his hair. “Eight hundred thousand tons of iron per year- eighty thousand tons per month- four thousand per day,” he announced to the appreciative British investors, who nodded attentively and scribbled little notes down in their leather-bound notebooks. “I trust you’ve been to the Seegrotte? The gypsum there, you can use it. Salzburg has salt- salt for duck and chicken, to keep them fresh over the long winter months.”

Some of the investors knew him, but one, Richard Trevithick, who was not an investor, had in fact run into the Archduke at Falmouth, where his home was located. He watched the Archduke pontificate at length, and fondly, over the myriad sights and wonders of Styria. One would have thought that he’d been born there.

An hour or so later, in the stagecoach, juddering unevenly over the gravel path back to Graz, where an iron foundry was under construction, Trevithick and the Archduke were deep in conversation over the future network of Austria.

“...by necessity, Vienna would have to be the centre of any would-be railway network,” John finished.

Trevithick shook his head and gestured at the map. “No, look; every segmentation of the Empire has a coherent central point for potential railways. Proximity to Vienna is not an option and should never be an option, not with railways.”

John smiled wryly and poured another tumbler of wine for Trevithick, who accepted it gratefully and downed it as the path smoothed out. “In order for one city to exert control over the entire region, I’d grant that. But Hungary, Bohemia and Lombardy-Venetia are but provinces; my brother feels that centralization is the way forward. Powerful provincial capitals are not conducive to that goal.”

“By definition, if useful resources are discovered at any point in the Austrian lands, the towns which will spring up around the mines and wells will have more relative power.” Trevithick cursed as a bit of wine spilled on his shirtsleeve. Falling leaves brushed past the window. “What matters is who is giving the orders. Vienna sends word directly to Schlossburg, and the coal is sent to whatever processing facility is required, not to Klausenburg.” He cocked his head at the Archduke. “Incidentally,” he inquired, “what’s precipitated this sudden interest in my engines?”

John smiled through half-lidded eyes. “London hasn’t realized it yet,” he said, “but steam is the future. While your engines carry men and material across the Empire, the men at Whitehall will be cursing themselves over their inability to recognize true genius. I trust the fee is sufficient?”

“Oh, very sufficient,” Trevithick said quickly.

John hummed noncommittally; he had lost interest in the conversation. The sun was half-obscured by clouds; heaps of stone, not quite hills yet not quite mountains, flickered by through the quiet forest. The dirt road was flatter, now, as they advanced towards Graz.

• Haven't really been writing- may have a roadblock somewhere- so I'll just slow down my posts, so I have something to get back to. I've been thinking also about Franz I- if he was so liberal, but was put off by Napoleon's rise, what reforms could he possibly be amenable to? In my view, things like education, or tightening control over the magnates, or even industrialization- all of them being change- he would be averse to all of them, being a reactionary. What compromises might he be willing to make?

Anyway.
    18 March 1817, Budweis

Franz Anton von Gerstner gazed out over the Bohemian forests. He closed his eyes, stretching out his hands, and made as if to breath in the scenery. His nostrils flared, he inhaled…

And choked, coughing as a cloud of sweet-smelling dust erupted from his sinuses.

The trees around him were ripe with the sound of steel on wood. Labourers from the surrounding villages had been conscripted for the task; British engineers milled about, hemming and hawing, scuffing their boots in the rich Bohemian soil. Franz gazed out and thought of his father, still teaching in the Prague polytechnic. It had been converted some time back; Kolowrat was an effective administrator. Though it would be odd if he had been anything but, what with having the heir to Austria behind him. His father had thought himself too old for the task (his mistress was another reason), and so Franz had taken it up. He, at least, was still young.

It caused a slight flutter in his chest, to think that he was accomplishing a historic duty, a historic obligation to progress. And, on a whim it occurred to him to trudge out into the sunlight, and Franz did so. He pivoted on his heel and advanced out from the thick forest, gazing out at the almost desolate landscape of tree stumps, the trunks themselves carted to Budweis proper for processing. Men, their arms thick and corded, lifted the hammers in their arms aloft; then brought them down. The metal rods went into the ground. The railway was advancing towards Linz. Slowly but surely… it was advancing.

The metal themselves had been constructed from iron mined in Przibram, just a bit north. The cities south of Linz, and Lombardy-Venetia too, were enriched by the mines at Eisenerz. Bohemia would build its railways on iron refined at the Budweis foundries, which themselves had recently been built, a combined effort by a convention of the nobility in Prague, convened only at the behest of Archduke Joseph.

Franz remembered the day the Archduke had passed by. The British surveyors had watched the carriage pass by with cold, almost dispassionate eyes, but for Franz it was a symbol of the grandeur of the dynasty. The Archduke had tipped his cap to him as he’d passed, and Franz would remember that. Even in Vienna, he’d not spoken with the Archduke face-to-face.

His father had forfeited the right to bring the railways of Bohemia to life. Franz, on the other hand, would be remembered for this. And he owed such an opportunity to the Archduke.

There was a shout from behind him as another tree fell. Franz put his hand over his brows and squinted at the horse-drawn carriage making its way shakily over the new rails. The labourers retrieved food and drink from the carriage as it passed; most looked down approvingly at the fruits of their hard work.

• I RETURN

will read the other comments soon-ish, writer's block still a problem

-----

Manual of War for Austrian Officers, Charles von Habsburg, published 1820

The 1920 Foreword

It is certainly an interesting allohistorical experiment to consider how Austrian war-making might have changed had Archduke Charles not changed his military doctrine. Might they have secured the reversal of Hubertusberg and the dismemberment of Prussia had Archduke Charles not put them on even footing with Wilhelm I’s army? Might they have secured the mouth of the Danube without the reforms of Archduke Alexander Leopold?

Of course, it is narrow-minded to consider that the reversal in Austrian fortunes was entirely due to the Duke of Teschen. Multitudinous other factors conspired to cause the downfall of Russian positions in Bessarabia, much less the Prussian position in Bohemia; superior Austrian arms, national conscription, the utter incapability of Russian leadership…

Yet it is also narrow-minded to attribute this to the Emperor Joseph Ferdinand. According to his writings, the Archduke Charles had long been considering reversing his official position on strategy. The sheer rigidity and “caution bordering on cowardice” that he espoused had become to seem somewhat ridiculous given the amount of upheaval taking place in Austria at the time; Charles himself had abandoned the old high noble role of tending his lands and in fact invested in industrialization in what remained of the Silesian Habsburg possessions.

Furthermore, Alexander Leopold had long been a proponent of fluid, immediate warfare, having observed Prussian campaigns on a state visit to Berlin. His change of stance on the issue was a constant issue of friction and an embarrassment to the Hofkriegsrat, given the glaring differences in stances between two of the most powerful figures at the War Ministry. Private conversations with his brother, as well as his own illness and impending awareness of his own mortality, seem to have pointed to-wards the Archduke’s eventual resolution to set the record straight...

• 14 July 1817, Venedig

István Széchenyi snapped a sharp salute as the slightly bent over figure of Joseph Ferdinand appeared on the horizon. His lips crinkled into a grin under his bushy beard as the Archduke snapped a salute back, still little more than a smudgy silhouette. William Symington, the famed Scottish inventor, gave him an odd look. Széchenyi ignored him.

As the ship neared, he saw that there was another man standing beside Joseph, along with the fairly expected masses of soldiers. But not just that; there were other men besides, dressed in the everyday clothing of labourers, and they were hard at work. The skeletons of several frigates lay in the bay, and at once it was clear to Széchenyi what the purpose of bringing Symington to Venedig was.

A lone fanfare announced Széchenyi’s arrival; his entourage, Symington among them, filed out onto the pier. Joseph shook hands with Széchenyi. “This is my uncle, Anton Victor. Viceroy of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia,” he introduced them, eyes twinkling behind his pince-nez. “And this is Mister Symington, yes?”

Symington cleared his throat. “Y-yes,” he muttered, almost to himself. It was doubtful that he had ever been in the presence of true royalty before. The sky was blue; almost preternaturally blue, today. White clouds scudded across the sky, and the sea-spray in Széchenyi’s beard had been warmed by the Mediterranean sun. The only downside was the sticky sweat clogging his spiffy military tunic.

“A pleasure to meet you, Herr Symington,” Anton Victor rumbled, squeezing the Scotsman’s shoulder. “We look forward to your creativity revitalizing the old Arsenal.” Again, Széchenyi’s attention was drawn to the large mass of labourers around: and it was only then that he recognized the language suffusing the air, echoing in the watery corridors of the canal, servicing old ships and building new ones. German.

An hour later, Joseph and he sat together in the former’s temporary office at the Doge’s Palace, savouring a glass of Burgundian wine that he’d bought in still-occupied France. “A lot of Germans are out and about,” Széchenyi remarked, gazing out the window. The allure of Italy had enraptured him; perhaps he’d go to the Two Sicilies some time in the future. He was not yet ready to settle into the role of a great nobleman yet. There had been a few fetching young birds who’d winked at him en route, even.

“Hmm.” Joseph removed his hand from his knee- a twinge had been developing there- and retrieved a slip of paper from the pile before him briefly before tossing it back down. A cool breeze ruffled his hair. “Have you heard of the Rothschilds?”

Széchenyi grinned. “Yes. Congratulations, Archduke Joseph.”

Joseph smiled back, heady with the rush of success. “I’ve sent German labourers all over the place- they’re the most easily accessible, after all. With their assistance- the Rothschilds’- Austria and Bohemia are building railroads. There are foundries in Budweis. Furnaces in Graz. Things are going well- the magnates are finally seeing sense! They are, as it would seem, easily persuaded by the lure of money to be made. We’ll make a merchant class of them yet.” He leaned forward. “I was hoping you could accompany me to Hungary. Persuade your peers of the importance of reform.”

Széchenyi folded his arms. The sparkle was still in his eyes. “Perhaps you could persuade the Emperor as well,” he remarked, almost jokingly. Joseph chuckled, shaking his head ruefully.

“He won’t budge. He’s too set in his ways to do so,” he remarked. “But I did manage to get him to authorize the transfer of funds to Uncle Joseph. Think about it,” Joseph continued, settling back into his chair, gazing pensively and slightly mournfully into the dregs of his wine cup. “Your Danubian barge. A railroad from Vienna to Pressburg. New agricultural customs, imported from Britain. Speaking of which...”

Széchenyi saw his chance and took it. “Oh, yes,” he continued. “Road expansion. Canals, like your Trieste project. There’s a plough being used in France, I think, that has not yet made its way to Austria. Have you heard of crop rotation?”

Joseph perked up. “Do tell.”

Elsewhere in Venedig

Luigi G. bent his head towards his compatriots in the dim light of the tavern, squinting out at the swarms of German labourers at the docks. They had been swiftly followed by a swarm of Hungarian and Bohemian aristocrats, speaking loudly in a melange of German dialects and Latin, clogging up the streets with their resplendent fabrics. A fair amount of money from the Rothschilds had gone from Vienna to Lombardy-Venetia, and wherever the money was- the nobles would follow.

“I know what they’re doing,” Donatello M. snarled under his breath, as the men clustered together and peered down at the street below. If one poked his head out the window and turned to the left, ignoring the stench of the river below, it was possible to see the skeletons of the burgeoning Austrian navy. Not Italian. Austrian.

“Like the Spanish did,” Lorenzo B. muttered, “they are colonizing Italy. Colonizing them with their more loyal subjects. Breaking us up. Diluting our national spirit.”

“There remains solutions besides armed revolt, of course?” Matteo L. whispered. “Naples and the Papacy are vulnerable. The Austrians can colonize all they want, but we will have southern Italy before they do.”

Yet Luigi was unable to tear his eyes away. “I fear that even if we have southern Italy by next year, Lombardy and Venetia will be eternally German,” he said. “Unless...”

• So I wrote this in November last year. I'm probably going to reread this thread to get myself familiarized with the content, but don't expect any updates for a while, because school just started and I don't want to accidentally fall behind, screw up my A-levels and fail at life.

image_gallery

The music room of Esterházy Palace

18 August 1817, Eisenstadt

Joseph crooked his neck at the ceiling of the greenhouse and squinted in the dim sunlight streaming in through the brilliant glass windows. The steady choke-whir-clunk of the irrigation system- controlled by a steam engine installed in 1803 (little patches of innovation existed in the Habsburg lands, he mused optimistically)- intermingled with the quiet whispers of the high Hungarian nobility clustering behind him, some following his every word, others absorbed in the eyes of their mistresses. Not a few were surreptitiously plucking particularly beautiful flowers. Nikolaus II Esterházy grumbled in the back- a middle-aged playboy, running to fat, his son Paul still in London, a diplomat to the British. Paul had escorted him to the Rothschild’s business-place, acting as though he could find his way there with his eyes closed; given the Esterházy penchant for spending, he probably had a good reason to. Not for the first time that day, Joseph wondered if he could draw a similarity between Esterházy improvidence and British extravagance.

Autumn had come to Eisenstadt. Although, Joseph had wanted to remain in Vienna. But Vienna was where his father sat, a grouchy, increasingly bad-tempered old dragon, tail curled around his throne of riches. So Eisenstadt it was. And the Hungarian nobility had followed him as he had left with the Count Széchenyi, not least because he had been bringing them on a merry little pageant around Italy and Austria already.

To be honest, Joseph thought that he’d already been very lucky, not to have his father come down on him this time. His disappearance to France- one of the great follies of his youth- had resulted in slightly strained relations with Father. There was always this sense of having to be guarded around his father, these days. Joseph wondered if his father saw the taint of revolution hanging over his head.

Later that afternoon, Joseph’s head lolled slightly in the cold, candle-lit festival-room of Schloss Esterházy. The music drifted lazily from the stage, and out of the corner of his eye he was aware that a large number of musicians were onstage desperately attempting to get his attention. Yet his interests lay not, perhaps, with music, but rather the design of what had been dubbed the Haydnsaal; the hall in which the assembled Hungarian nobility were now sitting, murmuring appreciatively.

What beautiful frescoes. Such splendidly crafted medallions. His gaze skidded over the ceiling.

The conductor onstage gave up; faster music began to play. Esterházy had instructed the Kapellmeister to play slower music at first, to compensate for the Archduke’s “condition”; but now that the Archduke was not responding, the Kapellmeister did not feel like complying. He would rather play his music to a larger audience than an unresponsive Archduke.

(He would be dismissed on the morrow, but that was besides the point.)

Later, as they were having dinner, the sound of a carriage rolling up announced the arrival of the Palatine; his uncle Joseph. Various servants, their brisk steps clop-clop-clopping over the marble, opened the door and bowed deeply as the Viceroy of Hungary and his wife, of Anhalt-Bamberg-Schaumberg-Hoym (Joseph, in the comfort of his own mind, referred to her as Hermine the Horse-faced) entered and made their leisurely way to the dining area. Uncle Joseph entered the great gilded doors, nodded almost regally at the array of curtseys and bows and salutes, and took his seat beside Joseph.

“Uncle,” Joseph murmured, digging into the roast turkey.

“Nephew,” Joseph muttered back, nudging him gently with his elbow. A goblet of wine, encrusted with little frivolities, was deposited at his other elbow; the none-too-beautiful Princess Hermine demurred and simpered, the fabric comprising her costume for the evening ruffling gently. (No. Joseph did not really have much patience for her- she tended to take his uncle’s attention away from him.)

They ate. The chandelier tinkled genteelly above their heads; Joseph scanned the heads of the Hungarian nobility. Most of them owned vast tracts of land and even vaster quantities of serfs; if he’d tried to include all of the lesser nobility not even the Schloss could’ve accommodated them. The issue had been discussed beforehand with Széchenyi, who was sitting elsewhere, making lewd gestures at a bunch of vigourous-looking young magnates in ceremonial military attire, waggling his not inconsiderable eyebrows suggestively. That corner of the table brayed with obnoxious laughter; Joseph sneered briefly and turned back to quiet conversation with his uncle, having completely forgotten what he’d been thinking about just before.

It was rather later in the night that they gathered in the western wing, browsing the elegantly curated Esterházy picture collection, under the light of premium gas-lamps imported from England. Joseph took his position at an elaborate podium, at his elbows Széchenyi and his uncle. He cleared his throat; the nobles inclined their heads imperiously. A dull flame throbbed in the back of his throat at their behaviour, but nothing came of it.

“Barons of the Apostolic Kingdom,” he began. “Prince Esterházy, Count Batthyány, Prince Koháry…” (And so on, and so on.)

“It is my honour tonight to be here before you in the wonder-palace of Prince Esterházy...” The Prince in question chuckled softly and folded his arms. “Now pray allow me to start. Since the fall of Napoleon we have been growing; ever richer, ever more powerful. The House of Habsburg is in the ascendant! But- there is of course a need for more power, and more riches. For those of you who have travelled widely, in France and in Italy-” Széchenyi’s little group laughed.

“-I would think, naturally, that it is evident that there is more power waiting for us outside of this little kingdom. Yet for that, one would need money. Money first. This is why I am here, to introduce to you a new way- a way that leads to riches- even greater riches.” Joseph gestured at the gas-lamps. “Imagine- gas-lamps across the roads, across your towns. Illuminating your property for all the world to see. And roads, and rails- like they build in England, rails- rails that can convey you faster than your fastest horse, to Vienna and back, under a day.”

“Imagination,” someone grumbled quietly in the back.

“No,” Joseph said, “Not imagination. Britain has done this, and now we have begun to do so. But the government requires more money to fund more expansion. My father-” Joseph meant to say himself, but it was so much easier to push the blame to the absentee monarch, “-my father was uncomfortable with delivering money- free money- to the autonomous, independent Kingdom, and so he opted instead for Bohemia. For the Hereditary Lands. For Lombardy-Venetia.”

“You mean investment,” Count Lajos Károlyi butted in.

“Yes,” Joseph said. “Investment. We can build, from Pest, from Pressburg, Esztergom, railways, lined with ermine and velvet. And regulate the waters of the Danube- carve canals, all the way to your crops, so that you may earn more from the selling.

“Gentlemen, Hungary is the breadbasket of the Empire. And soon to be- of Europe. If we reform in an industrial fashion, if we replace men with steel and horses with wheels- we will fill the Hungarian Plain not with golden wheat, but with golden coin. And the peasants can then be freed up to be used elsewhere.”

“Where can the peasants-” piped up a Hungarian countess, one of the few truly rich ones, before she was shushed by her peers.

“More on that later,” Joseph replied, smiling genially at her (a more distracted part of his brain noticed that she was pretty and young-looking- certainly a sight better than most noblewomen). “We have recently invited a man from Britain to Venetia; his name is Symington, and he makes steam-boats. First- he will attempt to make great ships from his little engine, in service of the Imperial Navy. Then, by the following year- by 1818- we will bid him- Come to Hungary! And, so being in our fee, he will come. He will build for you- steamboats, the basis of gilded pleasure-cruises, so to be used on the Danube, on the Tisza, on the Lake Balaton.”

The room muttered approvingly. Joseph knew, of course, that in large part their agreement was because his Uncle Joseph was present. For if the Palatine approved, then so would they. And his argument was supported and legitimized in large part because Széchenyi had shown his support as well. “So, on to the peasants. The serfs.”

Joseph had not been looking forward to this. Széchenyi hadn’t been happy, and neither would the magnates, if they’d known what he had planned. He looked up at the mural painted on the wall, and then down at his hands, white-knuckled on the gilded podium.

“We intend to use the serfs. Your serfs. Now-” Joseph raised his hand to still the rising tide of alarm, “we won’t take them from you. Surely you have plenty more serfs to tend your lands? It is a question of management. No, no- they will contribute their labour in service to railways and to construction works. For Symington to build his barges, and for the Danube to be hemmed in and controlled, of course there is a need for labour. And we will obtain our labour, preferably, from you and yours.”

“We will be paid for this, yes?” The head of the Croatian Kačić holdings inquired, doubtfully.

“I’m afraid not. But! But! The serfs will be awarded a share in the profit reaped by that which they construct- the railways, the buildings, and all that. If you give consent, they can remain at that building, in that city, which they have built up, and all the money that they earn, they will be bade to transfer a portion to you. In their duties as serfs.”

“Sounds like a plot to steal our serfs,” a noble at the back piped up. “Sounds like the Serfdom Patent of ‘81.”

“No, not the Serfdom Patent,” Joseph said, growing steadily more put-upon. “Come, now, we are thinking the same way. The serfs are to be used for labour! The government need not foot the bill, and the magnates- those of you who are assembled here, instead of the myriad lesser nobles with little more than a county house and a farm to their name- the magnates will benefit. You will benefit from the industrialization, and not even need to lift a finger in return. The serfs will be doing the work for you; they will trade, and they will buy and sell and manufacture and run factories on your behalf. And they will pay you for it based on their precise contracts.

“Not to mention,” he continued, forcing a look of abashment onto his face, “that if serfs do grow rich enough to free themselves, the government gains one taxable citizen.”

The room rippled with laughter. “I find it very unlikely that industrialization could make us richer,” someone said, generating a chorus of thoughtful noises. “Are we not, as you have already said, the richest men in Hungary? What have we to gain from this?”

Joseph slumped slightly; “I’ll leave the Count to explain it to you,” he said, and, patting István on the back, shoved the Count forward. Széchenyi shot him a dirty look, but he stepped up nonetheless, and began to regale the audience on the marvels which he had seen in Britain. Joseph poured himself a glass of wine.

It was going to be a long night.

==========

The Bourgeois Revolution: Feudalism in Austria, Lajos Horvat-Djerzinski, Etzelburg Alternative Press

Chapter Four: Serfdom and the Burghers, 1800-1825

...the beginning of the end was accomplished in what Austrian historians call the “Esterházy Diet”, effectively Emperor Joseph Ferdinand’s version of the official Hungarian Diet. Going behind his father’s back, the then-Archduke organized a meeting with the great Hungarian magnates, men and women who collectively owned over forty percent of the Apostolic Kingdom’s arable land and over one million serfs- bringing with him the Count Széchenyi and, clandestinely, the Palatine of Hungary, Archduke Joseph…

...the Esterházy Diet accomplished great strides with regard to the continuing industrialization of the Kingdom of Hungary, and, crucially, the corresponding decline of the great feudal nobility of Hungary, though the latter had not been foreseen at the time by either of the parties involved…

...Georges Drumpf, a chamberlain under the then-Prince Nikolaus II Esterházy, and an informant to the Emperor Francis I, reported that “the Hungarian magnates, Archduke Joseph the Palatine and Archduke Joseph the Heir entered into the western wing of the Schloss Esterházy, which was closed to all servants… I was regrettably unable to hear the goings-on within that room, but… the magnates emerged four hours later at the stroke of midnight, bearing the signs of great joy and also great exhaustion… the Prince refused to say a word to me and retired to his private quarters immediately...”

Indeed, the effects of the Esterházy Diet are difficult to track, since we do not know whether the actions taken by the Hungarian magnates in the period between the Esterházy Diet and Joseph Ferdinand’s coronation were calculated or simply spur-of-the-moment choices due to simple human greed or any other combination of factors… what we do know is that trends in Hungarian noble society gradually began to turn towards ever-increasing investment in modernizing transportation infrastructure. The ancestors of modern-day Adelstadt-...

Furthermore, serfs were soon flocking in large numbers to the major Hungarian would-be metropolises like Etzelburg, Pressburg, Gran and Stuhlweissenburg, bearing… Such certificates… a particularly fascinating certificate, issued by the Count Széchenyi, asked his serfs to ... this is generally taken to be another symbol of Széchenyi’s romantic view of modernization and industrialization. Though it is good to note that Széchenyi’s views on reform certainly benefitted him…

All in all, the “reforms” undertaken by Joseph Ferdinand in his capacity as a figure of enormous unofficial influence and a known consensus-builder was a step towards changing the long-set positions of the magnates regarding their serfs as their own human chattel… laying the foundations for the eventual complete abolition of serfdom in Hungary...

(AN: certain incriminating spoilers have been cut from this “excerpt.”)

• ...so I lied.

Actually, I've decided to try something new- I don't think I've done this before- what do you guys want for the next update?

111212051623-vienna-hofburg-ball-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Not sure if this is a photograph or a painting...

31 October 1817, Vienna

The roof of the Hofburg was desolate; icy winter had descended on Vienna. Joseph coughed wetly into his leather field-marshal’s gloves, squinting into the distance; a few snowflakes had landed on his nose and on the lenses of his pince-nez; he blinked, hard. Good god, the city walls were an eyesore. The Ottomans were in no shape to prosecute another siege of Vienna; what were the walls still doing, in that case?

He turned and descended the steps. Music was playing in the hall below, the nobility taking turns in twirling each other across the warm, exquisitely crafted floor. Joseph dragged his knuckle over the leg brace that had been his constant since young and grimaced. Down he went, sneezing as a particularly dusty draft came from below; he rounded a corner and found a little troupe of noblewomen, cooing over his nephew. “Isn’t he a beautiful child?” one of them whispered to her lady-in-waiting, sweet-smelling perfume drifting off her exposed shoulders.

The child in question was wearing a little navy-blue tricorn hat, stumping in a nearly straight line around the desolate hall, his tutors watching approvingly. A little handkerchief poked out of his pocket; Joseph smiled faintly as it came into focus. It was good to see that his gift was seeing some sort of use.

“Oh!” someone gasped, and Joseph found himself surrounded by eager, eligible young ladies. “Your highness,” one cooed, and the women curtseyed wonderfully. Joseph muttered something complimentary, jerking his head down. He had never really liked court functions. “Are you- liking Franz?” He had to cut the word “Napoleon” from his sentence abruptly- god forbid the scion of the House of Habsburg be seen uttering that word!

“Oh, yes,” another girl said, breathlessly. “He’s such a charming little boy!” And the son of the man who would have ended your brothers, husbands and sons on the battlefield, if it had meant that he could carry on his dominance of Europe, Joseph thought. Aloud, he said, “Well, it is good to know that you are enjoying his company; I must go now,” and lurched away. His father would want to see him at the main event.

En route to the Ceremonial Hall, Joseph was accosted by his brothers. “Leopold, Franz,” he began, but was grabbed roughly by the armpits and hoisted just a little bit above the ground. Leopold’s breath smelled of alcohol; Franz’s breath smelled of perfume. “Man of the hour,” Leopold hiccupped; there was a tricorn hat askew on his curls. “Father sent us to find you. It’s exciting in there.”

Franz nodded dopily; there was a slightly glazed look to his face. Joseph twisted his lips. Both his brothers were quite a bit taller than him, and stronger besides; he looked down at his legs, dangling uselessly. Resignedly, he settled down for the ride.

Normally, when the Habsburgs held a ball, the nobility was expected to be on their best behaviour. However, it was All Hallows’ Eve, and two days after the Emperor had wedded his fourth bride. There was a strangely festive mood to the palace; candles burning in every room, a sense of something happening. Leopold rummaged in his pocket and retrieved a soul cake, which he offered to Joseph.

Joseph stared at the soul cake.

“Isn’t this meant for the dead?” he asked.

Leopold looked at it quizzically. “Yes,” he replied slowly, “I supposed it is.” Then he shrugged and stuffed it into his mouth.

They finally emerged into a stifling mess of people, all clad in their best outfits, but now slightly askew and having what appeared to be a very good time. Leopold and Franz put Joseph down, none too gently, and disappeared into the crowd. Not for the last time, Joseph reflexively attempted to stand on tiptoes, to see above the crowd, but failed. He’d never been tall, anyway.

He stuck by the walls, picking a few delicacies from the tables arranged by the side. The musicians arranged before the dancers were playing a bawdy tune detailing what newlyweds got up to; the conductor was burying his face into the bodice of a giggling maiden. His uncle, Ferdinand from Tuscany, was gazing longingly at his father’s new wife, eyelids drooping.

Joseph picked his way through the crowd some more; a little bit more; until he reached the podium and ascended slowly. “Father,” he greeted the Emperor, sliding into his seat. “I apologize for my absence.”

“Go down there and dance,” the Emperor advised genially, with such warmth that Joseph was briefly disconcerted yet strangely gratified. “You’ve been doing enough thinking for the both of us for the past year or so; go down there and enjoy your youth. It’s not going to be there forever, you know.”

“Father? Are you alright?”

“Oh, he’s all right,” his stepmother told him, placing a warm hand on his shoulder. Joseph leaned into it, almost unconsciously; he found Charlotte Augusta of Bavaria to be a far more maternal figure than the woman who had come before her. For the past month, while he had been checking up on the linguists at the university, she had often tagged along, and she enjoyed bringing him out for long walks around the city walls. In fact, Joseph would have said that he liked her more than his own mother; but that was probably the buzz from the alcohol talking.

“He’s all right,” his stepmother told Joseph, and smiled. “I’ve been telling your father about what we got up to the previous week. I hope it makes him more appreciative of you.” She sighed, and gave him a small hug, which jolted Joseph awake and made his eyes dart across the Ceremonial Hall and the nobles within it, wary of such public displays of affection.

Then he relaxed and leaned into his mother’s embrace.

• So on the Google Doc where I store my writing it says it was last edited on Feb 27. I'm going to try and post what I've got on there first. Maybe try to bang out a bit more. In the meantime, just now I banged out something of a synopsis. An example of academic writing, I suppose.

CHIMERA NATION: A HISTORY OF THE VIENNESE SCHOOL

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    Preface ...... Reaction and Reform
    Chapter 1 ...... Franz the Fool
    Chapter 2 ...... Nationalism after Napoleon
    Chapter 3 ...... Enter Kolbe: German Austria
    Chapter 4 ...... Széchenyi and the Hungarian Class Struggle
    Chapter 5 ...... Loyal Prague: Bohemia's Ambivalent Regime
    Chapter 6 ...... Illegitimate Occupation: The Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia
    Chapter 7 ...... Tripartite Poland
    Chapter 8 ...... The Rothschilds and Austrian Industry
    Chapter 9 ...... 'To be Austrian': Austrian Linguistics under Joseph Ferdinand
    [...]
    Chapter 12 .... Breaking the Jewish Industrial Monopoly
    [...]
    Chapter 24 .... Enter the Croats
    Chapter 25 .... The Great War
    Epilogue ...... Joseph III, Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia, Hungary, Galicia-Lodomeria and Lombardy-Venetia

Preface : Reaction and Reform

[...]

In its initial conception, the Ministry of Nations- known popularly as the Viennese School of National Ideology- was a venerable enterprise from the start. Comprised of nobles, literati and academics from across the Empire, another key shared trait of the group was their complete and utter obedience to Joseph Ferdinand. It might be said, in fact, that this was the first instance of Joseph Ferdinand's unique style of ruling. [...]

[...]

This book will attempt, to the best of its ability, to concisely and succinctly summarize the efforts of many historians both more learned and erudite than the author himself, as well as provide a critical assessment of the accomplishments of the Viennese School in the Austrian Empire. [...]

[...]

An interesting thing to note about the Viennese School is that it was arguably the most consequential event to take place in the history of Austria up to this point. Even today, archivists are locating more examples of the sheer variety of enterprises in which members of the Viennese School had some sort of interest. Extending from the industrialization of Austria to the construction of the Suez Canal, it surely strains belief to contemplate to what extent the members of the Viennese School were able to co-ordinate their activities so as to ensure maximum benefit to Austria. In fact, of course, this is a falsehood; the Viennese School was so large- practically little more than a shared ideology of loyalty to the then-monarch and commitment to overall progress irregardless of language or culture- that it seems impossible that it would not have had the degree of penetration as it had.

The Viennese School was the first serious attempt at gradual reform of any European political system on the Continent, and also the most successful. A common-sense explanation for this would be the presence of leading governing figures like István Széchenyi and Anton Kolowrat, but one factor that few scholars of the Viennese School and indeed Austria in general take into consideration was the fact that the Imperial system was both extremely centralized and utterly without leadership or vision [...]

The impact of the Viennese School, of course, is immeasurable. However, what can be generally agreed is that its work in balancing the disparate 'nations' within the Austrian Empire- Germans (which already had a common political entity of sorts to look up to), Czechs (of whom the Czech National Revival was already commencing), Croats (whose national identity was sponsored by Joseph Ferdinand in order to bring the Magyars to the table), Hungarians and especially the Italians (who hearkened back to Rome and Napoleon's Italian Kingdom)- and eventually welding millions of linguistically, culturally and physically distinct peasants and bourgeoisie into a relatively united and loyal force.

[...]

Dr Charlotte Adeline Hitler
    Vienna 2016

-----

8 November 1818, Vienna

Juraj Matija Šporer, Aleksa Vancuš and Aleksa Praunsperger waited patiently, sweat dripping from their brows. In the depths of winter, the Hofburg Palace was silent and quiet; before them, Joseph Ferdinand perused economic reports from Transylvania, where British investors had recently set up mining companies and were currently using the profits from their sales to build a more stable road network.

He had decided to make them wait; Šporer, who was studying medicine and philosophy at the University of Vienna, had heard stories about the linguistic exertions being employed in a certain corner of the university; he’d subsequently stumbled on the Archduke himself reviewing the progress of the past few months.

And now, there they were.

Joseph Ferdinand finally set the reports down; he removed his pince-nez and sat back in his chair, straining the old wood with a groan. “So,” he said, quietly. “Herr Šporer. I have heard quite a few stories from my father, and he is not particularly pleased.”

Juraj shifted in his seat. His two friends- seated to either side of him- carefully avoided looking at the Archduke. Though they were both taller than the hunched, slightly pathetic figure, all three of them were- subconsciously, perhaps- making an effort to shrink in on themselves, present a smaller target. The Archduke consulted a slip of paper and tossed it in front of them- it contained a list of names: Maksimilijan Vrhovac, Antun Vranić, Ivan Nepomuk Labaš, Ivan Gusić, Ivan Birling, Stjepan Korolija, Tomaš Mikloušić.

“Your father, Herr Šporer,” Joseph Ferdinand narrated, “of Bribir. Mayor of Karlovac- appointed by Napoleon. Revolutionary taint, perhaps?”

Šporer licked his dry lips.

“And now. An attempt at nationalism! Oh, how terrifying.” Joseph Ferdinand made a dismissive sound, and rose abruptly to lurch over to the cabinet. Three pairs of wide eyes followed him as he retrieved four crystal glasses from the glass-fronted cabinet, as well as a glistening bottle of claret. “The Empires rejuvenated by the Congress of Vienna utterly refuse to face up to reality. Nationalism is here. Even more- nationalism is here to stay.” He gestured at the map behind his desk, spindly fingers gripping his crystal tumbler tightly as amber liquid splashed into it. “Look at that map. See that? There? Here- the Czechs. There- Lombardians, Venetians- long-awaited components of the so-called Italian state. Hungarians, of course- of which you are very acquainted, I think. Croatia, Serbia. Poland, Ruthenia.”

He delivered the tumblers into the men’s hands. They stared up at him, mildly confused.

“Drink. You’re among friends. What,” Joseph Ferdinand barked out a single contemptuous snort, “did you think I’d call you here to reprimand you?”

The three men exchanged glances.

“No,” Joseph Ferdinand continued, sitting heavily in his chair once again, “I want to help you. Allow me to cut straight to the heart of the matter.” He retrieved another sheaf of paper and planted it in front of them. The title: Proposal for the Establishment of a Viennese Newspaper Oglasnik Ilirski. The sheaf of paper bore their signatures.

Joseph Ferdinand gestured at it. “You submitted this proposal some months back; my father has not given his grudging approval, but you were going to publish it anyway. Weren’t you?”

Abashed, Šporer nodded his head mutely.

“Then you have my approval. I have reached an… accord with my father. Of sorts.” Joseph Ferdinand glanced away. “You do understand, of course, that there will be a complete lack of interest in a periodical published in your native language, yes?”

The three men exchanged glances.

“Well, I am telling you that there is little demand for that. Therefore, I am proposing an alternate solution.” Joseph Ferdinand plucked the scrap of paper with the list of names up and waved it in the air. “These intellectuals- are from Croatia, much like yourself. I trust that you have met them- after all, there are quite a few Croats in Vienna.”

The three men nodded.

“For God’s sake, say something.”

“...yes, Archduke Joseph.”

“Right, then. Did they tell you what they’re doing over here?”

“...languages. They are attempting to craft a pan-Slavic language.”

“That is correct. They are attempting to craft a language intelligible to men in Bohemia, in Galicia-Lodomeria, in Croatia, in Slavonia, in the Slovak-speaking lands of northern Hungary. They are crafting a far, far larger user-base than your piddling native domorodnom language.” Joseph Ferdinand ignored the barely restrained inhalations of outrage and barrelled on. “This is what I propose. Now, I’ve read your writings on the Illyrian movement; I am aware of its existence, even insofar as it is limited only to Vienna. I am going to support it- but you are going to have to accommodate me as well.”

“...what do we have to do?”

“Publish your magazine in the pan-Slavic language that we have created. Austro-Slavic. We already have leading Bohemian and Croatian intellectuals onboard with this plan; I can secure for you… something of a network.” Joseph Ferdinand waggled his hand. “Even if Vienna has little interest in a pan-Slavic language, doubtless you will find enthusiastic proponents in Bohemia and Croatia.”

“And we will have to abandon domorodnom?”

“If you wish, you could publish a periodical in that language- but I will not help with the distribution thereof. I am doing this for you,” Joseph Ferdinand emphasized. “I am giving you a way to make more money from the publication of this newspaper- this magazine. The proceeds from there, you can use to gamble on your domorodnom periodical. But I will have this pan-Slavic newspaper.”

He rose to his feet. “So. Are we in agreement?”

• I wouldn't quite say that it's returned- just that I've finally gotten around to reformatting and clearing up the backlog that I'd held in reserve on the doc.

21 March 1819, Buda

Viktor sniffed loudly in the confines of the ill-smelling wagon. The horse whinnied from in front, distantly, and the rickety wooden wheels jolted over a stone on the road. Viktor yelped; a few other men squealed, like pigs, as a splinter jabbed into their flesh. The Széchenyi man in front snorted softly; he was dressed in rich cloth, and his thighs were wrapped tightly with white fabric. Viktor regarded the man with cold eyes. For a long time Viktor had never even countenanced the fact that he could rise above the position of a servant of the Count. Nor, for that matter, had he wanted to. Life was good in the small settlement where he lived.

Now this, this was an exciting thing: he was going to Buda. To Etzelburg, as the Széchenyi man put it. (Etzelburg? Now what sort of a name was that?) Buda was the sort of place that not even the Count spoke of, on the rare times that he descended from his mansion to talk to them. Yet it was not familiar, and that was more than enough to instill a sort of rising trepidation in Viktor. And even more, he had to leave his wife and children. That was a worrying thing too. Viktor, and Viktor’s father, and his father’s father, had never left Széchenyi land. Never. Viktor had the worrying sense of being cut loose.

Now little thatched roofs loomed over the horizon, visible through the thick trees. Adorján nudged him on the shoulder; Viktor leaned towards his friend’s mouth. Adorján had never been a very loud person. As he coughed and spat out over the muddy roads, phlegm spouting from an invisible spot in his beard, Viktor kept one wary eye on the little streams of steam rising over the treetops.

“I hear the Count printed certificates for us,” Adorján finally said, leaning back on the uneven wall of the wagon. He looked vaguely pleased that he had been able to compose such a sentence; Viktor was happy for him. The men in the wagon grunted, sneezed and scratched their itchy, pest-infested clothing. Viktor folded his arms and gazed out at the non-existent scenery.

Finally they were there. The Széchenyi man leapt nimbly from his perch, leaving space for the labourers to exit. Viktor was first, descending cautiously, looking around at the grubby buildings. Buda was not a very ugly city. It was like entering a town full of little Széchenyi manors. As the last of the labourers emerged, a wrinkled grandfather who was in his forty-fifth year, the Széchenyi man conjured up a sheaf of papers and began to distribute them.

“Viktor! Benedek! Adorján!” The cries drifted above the rooftops; a cool wind ruffled their hair. The sun was falling below the treeline. Viktor squinted at the piece of parchment. “What is this?” he asked the Széchenyi man.

“Certificates,” the Széchenyi man replied, still doling them out- there were at least fifty men gathered on the outskirts of Buda now, stamping their feet and rubbing their callused hands. “It was agreed by the Count that all tenants would be awarded certificates describing and defining their obligations and duties.”

“But what does it say?”

“Never you mind,” the Széchenyi man replied, sounding slightly irritated. “Go learn German or something.” And he lifted himself onto the saddle in one deft motion; cracked his whip; and the horse cantered out of the town limits, the wagon bouncing along merrily. It was growing dark now; and the men had begun to cluster together unconsciously. A wolf howled from some unseen alcove in the dark, thick trees; the flow of water past the banks of Buda became somehow overwhelming. It was a primal fear, a visceral terror of the woods and the horror that lurked just out of sight.

“Come in,” someone called, and the men turned to see a row of city-dwellers, waving from their neat little houses. “There’s plenty of room, and you will all freeze to death outside! Come in, come in!”

Hesitantly, Viktor advanced towards them, his certificate clutched in his hand.

“Come in, come in!” the jolly innkeeper exclaimed, clapping him on the back as he took his first cautious steps into the warm interior of the house. “You’re the lads here to build the railroads, no?”

• From the memoirs of István Széchenyi:

All his life, the Emperor Joseph was concerned with two things: industry and nationalism. Everything else flowed from that. From the moment he set foot in Vienna, he was arguing for these two cardinal missions. It would do his successors credit to focus on these things as well.

Figure-1-Nagycenk-and-its-surroundings-on-the-first-military-survey-1780-1784-IV5-At.png

Bottom right: The Széchenyi lands in Nagycenk

15 November 1819, Nagycenk

István Széchenyi planted a hand on his hip and reached for his hip-flask.

The forest, already far-off, was receding further. In the depths of winter, the Széchenyi lands were blanketed in a field of white; crushing silence, an almost oppressive silence. Labouring men stretched as far as the eye could see, the muscles in their back flexing as they cut down trees. Behind them, their wives, daughters and sons sowed new seeds, operating the newest plows imported from Britain- in some cases, the plows had been manufactured in Zagreb, in Pest, in Pressburg. To his left, Archduke Joseph Ferdinand leaned heavily on his cane, lips tightly pressed together, eyes scrunched up against the summer sun.

“Have you read the census?”

“I have.” Joseph glanced at his friend. “Why?”

“Did you take a look at the lesser nobles?”

“I did.”

“See anything odd?”

“They’re congregating in the cities. For education, I’d expect.” Joseph squinted at the blazing torches planted every few feet across the field, providing warmth to tired labourers, and the dinky military band that had been brought in from Vienna on his orders. “I say good for them. It’s time they shared some portion of the bounty.”

Joseph lurched forward; István followed, leafing through a small booklet that he stowed about his person. “The past few decades have been a time of great economic development. But- see- it’s only benefitted the greater nobility. You know, those at Esterházy Palace in ‘18? Well, those great nobles- those magnates- they own most of the land in Hungary.”

Joseph made an indifferent noise. “I’m not seeing your point.”

Kolbe, Dobrovský, Hanka and Jungmann had completed their survey of the German language and constructed a fairly stable pan-Slavic language, which, after much champagne, they had dubbed “Austro-Slavic”. (Granted, it might not be instituted at all, but- better to have an ideal to aspire to than nothing at all.) István didn’t really see the point, but Joseph was becoming more melancholy and unresponsive these days, so he’d made sure to congratulate his friend on the development. He continued to narrate the worrying trend that had revealed itself.

“The lesser nobles- those with nothing more than a few fancy country houses to their names- have gone into debt. By the hundreds.” Joseph made a sound of vicious frustration at that. “The lesser nobility flourished during Napoleon- but only through spending themselves into debt to develop their meagre parcels of land. Napoleon dies- there’s no more need for grain or wool- no more soldiers to feed, no more troops to clothe. So- collapse. Recession. Peace is poverty.”

“We’re recovering, aren’t we?” Joseph cast his gaze into the distance. The Vienna-Trieste route was making good progress; perhaps, by the time he was old and fat, the first boat would come sailing up the canal. Budweis to Linz. Zágráb to Budapest. Milánó to Velence. Three ‘railways’, each of them due to be completed some time in the next decade, which was advancing swiftly. But, to move away from things yet to come, there was positive news coming in from individual manufacturing plants across the Empire. Then what was Joseph’s issue? István shook off his fugue and continued.

“The magnates have recourse to vast sums of money. Not so for the lesser nobles. Now, they have to work. Ah, such humiliation! Such resentment! They impart these dark and terrible emotions to their sons, who go to earn diplomas in universities and gymnasiums. But there are too many bureaucrats, too many professional lawyers and accountants and teachers. So you have educated men, trained in philosophy, jobless, resentful, wandering the streets. They feel humiliated. And there are many of them.”

“Ah...” Joseph trudged on, leg leaving a pale streak through the slush. Their shadows stretched long across the snow; one of the dishevelled soldiers in the distance removed his instrument from his mouth to down a mug of ale. The daughters of the serfs strode purposefully across the icy ground, passing corked bottles from one hand to another, supplying their fathers and brothers and husbands with liquid warmth.

“They are like cornered dogs, you see? At least, that’s how they see themselves. They need status. They need money. They need to feel pride again. Therefore- resurrection of an old Hungarian dream, reestablishing the primacy of Hungary among the Habsburg lands. You have talk in pubs and coffee-houses of subduing Transylvania and Croatia, of crushing emergent Slovakia.”

Joseph muttered angrily to himself. “So, do you have ideas?”

István shrugged. “I thought you’d have some.”

“I’ll think about it.”

They were silent for a while. István could hold it in no longer. “Well, what on earth is wrong with you?” he burst out.

“What’s wrong?”

“You’ve been listless, dull-eyed, for the duration of your stay. I hope my company isn’t so tiresome.”

“It’s not you.” Joseph toyed with the sleeve of his coat. “You know the Croatian language publication I sponsored the other day? I obtained consent from my father by agreeing to marry a girl.”

Marry a girl! Well, of all the things- “I don’t suppose you think you’ll have to be faithful,” István joked, disbelievingly.

“Well- no,” Joseph conceded, grinning, “but she’s a bit young for me.”

“How old?”

“Sixteen.”

“Your father’s married younger.”

Joseph shot him a look.

“I mean your uncles. Your uncles.”

“Ach, it’s just melancholia. Marriage is a most important event, you know?”

“You read too many romance periodicals,” István declared cheerfully, slinging an arm around his friend’s shoulders. “A man before and after marriage is the same man, just that he has a permanent bed-warmer. Let these worries trouble you no longer! Enjoy life! We are not our fathers, and that counts for something, surely.”