God is a Frenchman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anaxagoras said:
1827:

A complete translation of the Hindu holy books is published in Paris for the first time, and for weeks the intellectual salons can talk of little else.

Is Kamasutra included in the package? :D

Anaxagoras said:
1827:
The fear which both Malraux and Louis share is that these reforms will be undone when Henri takes the throne as King of France.

In fact both seem to have enough foresight to predict that If Henri takes power a revolution ( on the english model, they will think ) is likely in France.

If they try to forestall this, I see two solutions :
+ either they give enougth power to the Etat generaux or the provincial parliaments to block a conservative king from forcing the change it wants
+ If henry has a heir yet, Louis could cut Henry out of the succession and make Henry's heir his heir.

Either of these are difficult to implement and will lead to a clash with the conservator, without any guarenty, should Louis die soon. But they seem the better than wait for an inevitable explosion.

BTW, Henry sounds a bit like OTL Charles X; am I wrong in my understanding? Will we see a Law 'du milliard des nobles' if he takes power?

Very interesting time-line , but I have one question though: If France's most powerful rival is Russia , why do the French undermine the Ottomans by supporting the Greeks?

Anaxagoras

Banned
Andrei said:
Very interesting time-line , but I have one question though: If France's most powerful rival is Russia , why do the French undermine the Ottomans by supporting the Greeks?

To curry favor with the Austrians. It may not be the wisest course of action in the long run. We'll see.

BTW, how many children, especially sons, Louis XVII does have? If he has another son...

Anaxagoras said:
Well, Tizoc, it's my alternate history. I say the French ships were slightly superior, and *poof* they were.
God is a Frenchman, it seems;)

Franco-Spanish unity?

What is Europe going do to re that problem, when Henri inherits the French throne. Didn't the Utrecht treaty bar that, in fact?

bill_bruno said:
What is Europe going do to re that problem, when Henri inherits the French throne. Didn't the Utrecht treaty bar that, in fact?
Funny you mentioned that. With Enrique growing up to be more Conservative in Spain, Louis might as well use the treaty as an excuse to bar Enrique (Henri) from succeeding the French throne, opting for the Duc d'Orleans instead. Then a War of French Succession may erupt. Ironic, isn't it?

Indo-European

Does the translation of the Vedic books mean that the French will start pioneering historical linguistics, noting the similarity between Sanskrit and Greek & Latin?

Anaxagoras

Banned
bill_bruno said:

Time and the reality of French power means that most people are expecting the Treaty of Utrecht to be ignored. King Louis XVII is looking at it closely himself, however.

Excellent! Is there any chance of the Dominion being conquered by New France? This just might make my challenge for English in the Islands only come true with a later PoD than I would have believed possible!

Anaxagoras

Banned
tom said:
Excellent! Is there any chance of the Dominion being conquered by New France?

Probably not. The population of the Dominion of America is about ten million, and I don't see how New France could assimilate such a large English-speaking, non-French population, particularly as the people of the Dominion would likely be rather hostile to the idea.

On the other hand, there's no much chance that the Dominion will expand anytime, for more or less the same reasons vis-a-vis New France.

Well, at least English is restricted to an island group and a narrow strip of land. That should knock it out of the top ten, instead of the top two like it is here. They should have nukes by 2006, let's see if they use them (a poster here once wrote you have to use the damn things to learn why you don't want to use them).

Anaxagoras said:
Probably not. The population of the Dominion of America is about ten million, and I don't see how New France could assimilate such a large English-speaking, non-French population, particularly as the people of the Dominion would likely be rather hostile to the idea.

On the other hand, there's no much chance that the Dominion will expand anytime, for more or less the same reasons vis-a-vis New France.
How many people in the Dom. of Am. speak French? Certainly, there are some trade ties...

Anaxagoras

Banned
tom said:
They should have nukes by 2006, let's see if they use them (a poster here once wrote you have to use the damn things to learn why you don't want to use them).

Maybe, but in a world where French culture dominates, you'd expect people to have better manners.

Balance of power

Anaxagoras said:
Time and the reality of French power means that most people are expecting the Treaty of Utrecht to be ignored. King Louis XVII is looking at it closely himself, however.

Why isn't the balance of power going to result in everyone piling on France if that happens? Can France fend off all of Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.