Get Back!-A Beatles Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
January 30, 1969
People craned their necks to see what was going on up above. The entire crowd was abuzz with excitement and anticipation.

Suddenly, there was movement up above. Four figures, no longer dressed in similar clothes as they once had, but still carying an air of unity, stepped out. The crowd cheered as they began the opening bars of their opening number.

"Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner, but he knew it couldn't last..."

Amongst all of the excitement, more than one person in the audience thought that it was a strange place for a concert by the world's greatest rock band.

"Get Back...Get Back...Get Back to where you once belonged!"

Okay, just a few things before my first real update (that was just a teaser)
This is a timeline where the Beatles continue to make music together past 1969. As a result, some disbelief will have to be suspended.
To make the timeline work, the Beatles' albums past 1970 have material on them that John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison, and Ringo Starr releassed on their solo albums. Very likeley, almost none of this material would exist if the Beatles continued making music together, but none of us could imagine (no pun intended) what they would make, so TTL uses their solo material.

I'm good with this. Let me help you. Release Let it Be in 1969, get it out of the way. Then, release Abbey Road in 1970, with "Maybe I'm Amazed" on it.

[Thanks for yout intrest!
The Observer: There is something like that in the works, but not exactly.]

December 21, 1968
"I think that it was George's idea, really. He saw what the rest of us were trying to ignore. He was the one that called the meeting."
-Ringo Starr, interview 1982

"Now, it was really the first time that the boys had involved me at all in their affairs non-musically. For that reason, and the fact that he and I were never very close, I was very surprised when George called me into Apple."
-George Martin, interview 2011

Just a few weeks after the release of The Beatles, George Harrison called in the other three Beatles, as well as members of their inner circle, to an impromptu meeting at Apple's Headquarters.

"We were losing money very quickly. We were just giving it away, to anyone who asked. So I called everyone in to try and sort it out. I had a feeling that if we were going to continue, we needed direction. The White Album was the antithesis of that direction. We really hadn't had it since Brian died."
-George Harrison, interview 1997

"I think at the meeting, it was the four of them, me, Peter Brown, Alistair Taylor, Alex Madras, Neil [Aspinall], Derek Taylor, and George Martin. Clive Epstein and Dick James were invited to arrive late. George [Harrison] wanted to discuss Apple and Beatle finances. He said that we needed someone in charge of Apple, as no one really was at the time. He wanted to review the record and films divisions, and put someone in charge of those. He also wanted to get control of NEMS and Northern Songs. George really drove us to take a look at ourselves."
-Mal Evans, interview 1983

"It was surprising at the time, but it sort of made sense, you know. I had checked out, and Paul was doing whatever. George stepped up where he saw an opening."
-John Lennon, interview 1975

The Beatles and their inner circle talked most about Apple management. Alistair Taylor had been general manager since January. At the meeting, Starr asked him point blank if he could successfully sort out Apple, and he replied that he thought that Peter Brown would be better suited.

On the subject of Apple Records A&R director, Harrison asked George Martin if he would fill the position. Martin replied that he would be happy to work as an outside consultant, he did not want to be very involved in Apple. Lennon suggested that Neil Aspinall could be nominal head until someone more permanent was found. The others agreed.

When James and Epstein arrived, the Beatles put forth offers to buy their respective companies. Epstein responded enthusiastically, but James decided to hold off until Apple was sorted out. He did, however, sign an agreement not to sell to someone else in the meantime.

“Happy Holidays to everyone. As the year draws to a close, we would like to announce our new management:
· Peter Brown is now CEO and chairman
· Neil Aspinall is Apple Records A&R director
· George Martin has been hired as a consultant for Apple Records
· Michael Lindsay-Hogg is now head of Apple Films
In addition, we are in talks with NEMS Enterprises to purchase them.
More exciting news: The Beatles are to begin a new project starting 1 January. Details to follow, but suffice it to say that it is unlike anything they have done before.
The Beatles: ’Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from all of us to all of you, and may all of your Cringles be light.’”
-Apple Press Release, December 24, 1968

Last edited:
I'm good with this. Let me help you. Release Let it Be in 1969, get it out of the way. Then, release Abbey Road in 1970, with "Maybe I'm Amazed" on it.

That's a definite, and the only other one I would say is as definite is George's "What Is Life?", but does it sound the same with George Martin producing/orchestrating it as Phil Spector's version?

certainly agree with releasing the Get Back/Let It Be album in 1969.. It just closes that chapter quickly so they can move on. Never mind the fact that early versions of the songs had already been bootlegged for months prior to the official release (thus blunting the impact in some quarters).

certainly agree with releasing the Get Back/Let It Be album in 1969.. It just closes that chapter quickly so they can move on. Never mind the fact that early versions of the songs had already been bootlegged for months prior to the official release (thus blunting the impact in some quarters).
Well, in TTL, Get Back won't be so diasterous, far from it. You'll see. :)

How about a US tour in late '69, depending on whether John and George would be interested or motivated not to mention advances in PA/amp technology in the three years since Candlestick Park? Hmmm, Altamont with the Beatles instead of the Stones??

“It was all Paul’s idea. I didn’t even want to do it at first. I only went along with it because everyone else was so excited. It was during the sessions that I really got into it.”
-George Harrison, All Those Years Ago, 1994

“Paul wanted to show them how a Beatles record was made. I thought at the time that it wasn’t very interesting, and told him that. Well, according to the ratings, I was wrong.”
-John Lennon, interview February 1969

“It was extremely difficult. Because of the time constraints, we had to edit as we shot. I had to decide what parts were most important to the story, as the story was unfolding. The most difficult part of course, was the concert. We had to bring in a television director to assist us, as the whole thing was live.”
-Michael Lindsay-Hogg, DVD commentary 2009

“I think he saw it as kind of a Beatles reboot. The White Album had been really tense, I had even walked out for about two weeks. The meeting got us back on track, so when Paul came up with his idea for a fresh start, we all jumped at it.”
-Ringo Starr, interview 1987

“It was the hardest we had worked since Hamburg. Michael [Lindsay-Hogg] said he could get the studio starting January 1, and Ringo having to do his film [The Magic Christian] starting February 1. After Peter Brown told us that he had gotten to whole thing a slot on the BBC on January 30, that was it: we had just one month to make the whole album.”
-Paul McCartney, interview 1994

oep3.png

“Get Back”
First Aired: 30 January, 1969
Theater Premiere: 17 February 1969
Filmed: 1-30 January 1969
Director: Michael Lindsay-Hogg

The film begins with shots of each of the individual Beatles arriving at Twickenham Studios. As they arrive inside, they are greeted by Mal Evans. When they are all there, Lennon suggests that they celebrate the new year. He and McCartney sit down on the piano, and all four sing “Auld Lang Syne.”

The rehearsals begin with rundowns by McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison, on the material they have written for the concert. Viewers catch brief snippets of demos of “Get Back”, “Oh! Darling”, “Two of Us”, “Don’t Let Me Down”, “Dig a Pony”, “Watching Rainbows” “Old Brown Shoe”, and “For You Blue”.

As the film progresses, more songs (including “Madman”, “A Case of the Blues”, “She Came in Through the Bathroom Window”, and “Her Majesty”) are heard, and earlier demos get more treatment. The Beatles receive a call from Peter Brown specifying the timeslot for the concert. The Beatles realize that they do not have nearly enough material than is required. Harrison suggests that they do some of the songs they had done in their early days, both to fill out the concert and to get more into the “back to basics” approach.

As the sessions progress, the tracks get more polished and the Beatles get scruffier. Both Lennon and McCartney grow beards. Harrison grows a mustache, and Starr’s hair gets longer. Starr introduces the others to his song “Taking a Trip to Carolina”. They also run through numbers of Harrison’s other songs (“Art of Dying” and “Sour Milk Sea”), as well as pre-1960 Beatles songs (including “Just Fun”, “Hot as Sun”, and “Too Bad About Sorrows”).

The rehearsal part of the film closes with the Beatles packing up. Mal Evans comes in, telling them that they better get a move on if they want to “get back home” in time for the concert. The last shot of Act I is Twickanham Studios empty as the Beatles walk out.

How about a US tour in late '69, depending on whether John and George would be interested or motivated not to mention advances in PA/amp technology in the three years since Candlestick Park? Hmmm, Altamont with the Beatles instead of the Stones??
Well, I don't want to reveal too much, but a 69 tour will not happen, especially not a US tour.

cortz#9 said:
Totally fab man.:cool::D
Ta. You're really gear for reading. Far out.:cool:

So, in case you haven't noticed...you still don't know where the concert is.

Interesting thus far. If I remember correctly, Harrison was the least interested in Apple so it is intriguing that he is the one who drives the events of the first post. Then again the guy who thought Apple was a bad idea from the beginning might be the one to do that. I do think that there is a slight possibility that without the management dispute, the Beatles could have recorded together sporadically into at least the early 1970's. Since I think the early meeting you mention suggests clearing that problem up. Though I think McCartney wpuld have rejected anyone other than the Eastmans and the others were right not to let McCartney's in laws manage them. I don't know how you resolve that. However with everything that happens in the beginning of the timeline you have already stteleduch pf what a new manager was supposed to settle so you may have delayed that issue.

I may have missed something but is Get Back still being recorded early in the morning in the midst of Lennon's heroin addiction? If so I am surprised it all works out so well. I know suspension of disbelief and all that.

1.Interesting thus far. 2,If I remember correctly, Harrison was the least interested in Apple so it is intriguing that he is the one who drives the events of the first post. Then again the guy who thought Apple was a bad idea from the beginning might be the one to do that. 3.I do think that there is a slight possibility that without the management dispute, the Beatles could have recorded together sporadically into at least the early 1970's. 4.Since I think the early meeting you mention suggests clearing that problem up. Though I think McCartney wpuld have rejected anyone other than the Eastmans and the others were right not to let McCartney's in laws manage them. I don't know how you resolve that. However with everything that happens in the beginning of the timeline you have already stteleduch pf what a new manager was supposed to settle so you may have delayed that issue.

5.I may have missed something but is Get Back still being recorded early in the morning in the midst of Lennon's heroin addiction? If so I am surprised it all works out so well. I know suspension of disbelief and all that.
(numbered for my own convenience)
1.Thanks! That means a lot, as I know you're one of the big-name Beatle people around here.

2.Yes, Harrison hated Apple the most. I fogured he could have acted one of two ways:Ingnore it and shut himself off completely (as he did in OTL), or do what he knew no one else would. I decided to go with the second one. Although Macca would have been a better choice to say "Let's fix it", this may have met with resentment for George and John, seeing it as Paul being pushy.

3&4.The management didn't really start until about Feb. '69. Before that, they were just having bussinrss problems. They needed a manager, but no one had suggested one yet. I think that one coming from amongst their group of friends, and Brian's protege no less. That was my intention for the meeting.

5.As to the time of the concert, the film poster does contain a still from the concert. (its actually from OTL "Revolution" video)

As for the heroin, that post was meant as a film summary. That wouldn't be shown in such a film. However, we will see more quotes addressing the more intimate parts of the sessions.

When I said Get Back I was referring to the whole documentary not to the concert. I am skeptical the let's film ourselves when we're playing way too early in the morning idea could ever have worked out well. Indeed I think any effort to film their recording then would have inflamed already high tensions and should therefore have been avoided.

For what it's worth, The Beatles, or John Lennon at least, offered Neil Aspinall the management job but Aspinall declined if I remember correctly. I do not know how good of a manager he would have been at that time but had Aspinall agreed to do it, presuming the others went along with it, the Eastman vs. Klein drama might have been avoided.

Though I take it things are going in a different direction here.

When I said Get Back I was referring to the whole documentary not to the concert. I am skeptical the let's film ourselves when we're playing way too early in the morning idea could ever have worked out well. Indeed I think any effort to film their recording then would have inflamed already high tensions and should therefore have been avoided.

For what it's worth, The Beatles, or John Lennon at least, offered Neil Aspinall the management job but Aspinall declined if I remember correctly. I do not know how good of a manager he would have been at that time but had Aspinall agreed to do it, presuming the others went along with it, the Eastman vs. Klein drama might have been avoided.

Though I take it things are going in a different direction here.
I think the tensions were'nt due to the filming, but more due to the situation before the filming. If they had went into it amicalbly...well that's my idea at least.

Yes, avoiding Klein v. Eastman was kind of the idea. ITTL, it doesn't really matter whether its Brown or Aspinall. I picked Brown because he went on to be CEO of RSO records IOTL, so I thought it would be a good fit for him. (Interestingly, IOTL, Aspinall was Apple CEO form '68 until '09, however Klein was pretty much in charge from '70-'75, and after that, Apple was pretty much nonexistent anyway).

Emperor Norton I said:
If you'd like to, add your TL to the list here:

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/dok...es/the_beatles

(Currently it is organized by date. I'm thinking of organizing it by level of completion since there are ones that are more complete than others.)

Thanks, will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.