Germany Reunited:1951

In some history book or another, I read that Stalin, In 1951, once proposed to the west Re-Unifying Germany as a Neutral state, with it's own military and government.

Apparently, He was never actually serious, just testing the western allies reaction to the Idea.

But what if Germany HAD been re-unified in the Mid-20th century? Apparently some of the Western powers were Afraid that Germany would, once again, "Break loose of it's moorings and sail off on some new and terrible adventure".

Could that have actually happened?, If so, how would it change the modern world?

Deleted member 43582

This was actually the written essay I submitted when applying for Oxford.
The question was:
"Was unified, prosperous and democratic Germany based on the Stalin notes possible?"
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

The democratic would be undercut, because Stalin made the condition that teh constitution should be written by joint delegations from east end west NOT an elected constitutional assemlby. Meaning the SED and "unification at all costs" parts of the SPD (which still existed at the time) would have a mayority. Since another condition would be German neutrality similar to Austria there would be no Westintegration and probably more of an Eastintegration.
The properous part is therefore also impossible since Germany REALLY needed the EGKS and similar institutions to get back on its feet. Since this new Germany would also be more left wing then the BRD I also can't see Erhard style economic policies happening.

This was actually the written essay I submitted when applying for Oxford.
The question was:
"Was unified, prosperous and democratic Germany based on the Stalin notes possible?"
Short answer: No.
T
Long answer:

The democratic would be undercut, because Stalin made the condition that teh constitution should be written by joint delegations from east end west NOT an elected constitutional assemlby. Meaning the SED and "unification at all costs" parts of the SPD (which still existed at the time) would have a mayority. Since another condition would be German neutrality similar to Austria there would be no Westintegration and probably more of an Eastintegration.
The properous part is therefore also impossible since Germany REALLY needed the EGKS and similar institutions to get back on its feet. Since this new Germany would also be more left wing then the BRD I also can't see Erhard style economic policies happening.
Errr... you think Austria was Eastintegration?!?

As ive said before, each of the several times this has come up, this COULD have resulted in a better world, with far less east/west tension.

A possible three way split of Europe (nato, warsaw pact, and eg a salzburg league) would be very interesting, with a neutral bloc stretching from finland and sweden through germany to austria and yugoslavia.

Such a bloc would tend proWest neutral, but would pose no threat to the Soviets. It could even possibly expand with hungary or czechoslovakia, assuming those countries try their reformist experiments. Not very likely, i'll admit.

A month ago I created a thread with the same question (Neutral united Germany after WWII).

I could imagine that the neutral Germany would still get money for the redevelopment from the west to keep them away from the soviets. If Germany seems to get more pro-west the soviets would try to either block western interferences or would also invest in Germany.

abc123

Banned
In some history book or another, I read that Stalin, In 1951, once proposed to the west Re-Unifying Germany as a Neutral state, with it's own military and government.

Apparently, He was never actually serious, just testing the western allies reaction to the Idea.

But what if Germany HAD been re-unified in the Mid-20th century? Apparently some of the Western powers were Afraid that Germany would, once again, "Break loose of it's moorings and sail off on some new and terrible adventure".

Could that have actually happened?, If so, how would it change the modern world?

I posted similar question long time ago. It seems to me that the consensus at the time was that such proposal would seriously undermine German defence abilities ( by putting big limits on Bundeswehr ) and also foreign troops would not be in Germany, so Germany would be much easier target for Red Army...

I would think that by 51, nukes are becoming prevalent.. so this might deter the red army from rolling across the German plain..

only other problem is Korea .. would this also find mediation to fix the korean issue as well.

I think i might fall into the its possible relm.. look at Japan.. limited military since WW II .. they seem to have done fine.

The west is not going to just abandon the Germans upon unification. its to important to let slip away on its own. So i would wager to still see very large investments into the German / Neutral markets from both sides, possibly causing greater cooperation between the eastern and western blocks.