Gerald Ford assassinated in 1975. What comes after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can extend it. March of 1981 Hinckley shoots Ted Kennedy instead of Reagan, but Kennedy doesn’t survive. That would make Kennedy ‘s VP the 9th President in less than 18 years.

To say nothing of Mark David Chapman who could easily choose to go after a president, Sarah Jane Moore if your Ford POD is Fromme’s bullet, and the international presence of attempts against Elizabeth II, Pope John Paul II, and Anwar el Sadat.

Maybe I’ll rewrite Passkey Down at one point…

If Ted Kennedy survives and implements universa healthcare most likely not, if he is assassinated by Hinckley this oppens a giant Pandora's Box, depending on the VP.
Thanks, that makes sense. I think that Rockefeller would've won the 1976 Election, followed by some Liberal Democrat winning the 1980 and 1984 elections, his VP winning the 1988 and (possibly) the 1992 elections, a Moderate Conservative Republican winning the 1996 and 2000 elections, some Neoconservative Republican winning the 2004 Election (Assuming that 9/11 still happens), a Progressive Democrat winning the 2008 and 2012 elections and a complete wildcard winning the 2016 and 2020 elections simply because the POD is so far back

To say nothing of Mark David Chapman who could easily choose to go after a president, Sarah Jane Moore if your Ford POD is Fromme’s bullet, and the international presence of attempts against Elizabeth II, Pope John Paul II, and Anwar el Sadat.

Maybe I’ll rewrite Passkey Down at one point…
Chaos timeline

Thanks, that makes sense. I think that Rockefeller would've won the 1976 Election, followed by some Liberal Democrat winning the 1980 and 1984 elections, his VP winning the 1988 and (possibly) the 1992 elections, a Moderate Conservative Republican winning the 1996 and 2000 elections, some Neoconservative Republican winning the 2004 Election (Assuming that 9/11 still happens), a Progressive Democrat winning the 2008 and 2012 elections and a complete wildcard winning the 2016 and 2020 elections simply because the POD is so far back

One idea I had for the redux of Passkey Down is all of the instability leading to Jerry Brown in '80

colonel

Donor
Rocky died shtupping his mistress, an avoidable incident.
You would think so, I mean once you're in an important position or seeking an important position you would avoid screwing up, but I give you Anthony Weiner and any number of other politicians in both parties who just can't stop themselves.

sprite

Donor
You would think so, I mean once you're in an important position or seeking an important position you would avoid screwing up, but I give you Anthony Weiner and any number of other politicians in both parties who just can't stop themselves.

Fair enough, but medical intervention for a President in the White House would be a lot better than for an ex-governor with a panicking lover who won't call an ambulance. His father lived till 86 and had brothers who lived till 94 & 101. He might have hung on.

colonel

Donor
Fair enough, but medical intervention for a President in the White House would be a lot better than for an ex-governor with a panicking lover who won't call an ambulance. His father lived till 86 and had brothers who lived till 94 & 101. He might have hung on.
You're right of course. Most importantly I'm sure they would have put his shoes on the correct feet.

Despite how morbid it is for Ford, I love this butterfly because it yields so many possible, interesting directions. I can see it resulting in Reagan primarying and unseating Rockefeller. I can also see Reagan passing, Rockefeller getting the nomination, and possibly engaging in the most entertainingly grumpy Presidential debate ever. Rocky up against Carter? That would be hilarious.

I’m not convinced Rocky’s death at 70 is fixed either.

Despite how morbid it is for Ford, I love this butterfly because it yields so many possible, interesting directions. I can see it resulting in Reagan primarying and unseating Rockefeller. I can also see Reagan passing, Rockefeller getting the nomination, and possibly engaging in the most entertainingly grumpy Presidential debate ever. Rocky up against Carter? That would be hilarious.

I’m not convinced Rocky’s death at 70 is fixed either.
Good point, this world is full of possibilities

Good point, this world is full of possibilities
Here's a thought: what does this do to the Democratic primary? Jimmy Carter is obviously going to run. He wasn't eligible for another term as governor, he declared his candidacy in 1974, it's probably going to happen. The 1976 Democratic field was already a huge mess. Do fewer Democrats end up running? Does that mean that it becomes easier for Jimmy Carter to get the nomination or does it become easier for Democrats to rally around another candidate?

It's also a fair assumption that with Rockefeller at the top of the ticket, Jesse Helms is going to run. At the very least, it's a more fun scenario.

What if Rocky survives his heart attack, does a great job, wins re-election in 1980 and becomes our second longest-serving President?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.