George Washington Killed by Anthrax

Billy you left Millard Fillmore off your list of Vice-cum-Presidents...

Black Angel,

Yes, I did. I completely forgot about him as a matter of fact.

Which sort of reinforces my point about VPs succeeding to the office before TR set his own precedent!

... the Presidency will have a very British start under the very short Adams "Presidency"...

Agreed. The cabinet would started out more as a group of equals than as it had did so under Washington.

Washington brought a certain military mindset to the situation i.e. "I am in command and you are my subordinates", "When I say it has been decided it has been decided." While every cabinet since has had it's share of powerful figures, Washington's model has been adhered to more often than not.

Adams, on the other hand, would find himself dealing with people who felt themselves not only his equal but his superior. He would not have the moral authority of Washington and would not receive the veneration afforded Washington. When you remember the power available to Washington during this period, it is all the more remarkable that he didn't succumb to it and start the US on the road to banana republic status.

or would Adams have a informal grouping with no over site or something

I'd think the no or little oversight model would be more plausible.

Bill