George Lucas doesn't sell Star wars to Disney

George Lucas is almost part Targaryen - we all have to hold our breath to see whether or not his ideas are genius or madness. Still a little upset about “Moriband” and the Big No on the Blu-ray.

How does this relate to him keeping the franchise? It means he’ll definitely have ideas for the sequels sooner or later, but it’s a crapshoot as to whether we get the ones with Luke rebuilding the order against Maul and Talon… or the ones where everybody shrinks Fantastic Voyage style into a Jedi’s body to meet the Midichlorians. Both were on the tables at separate points in time.

I think it would be better for both Star Wars as well as Disney if Disney does not buy Star Wars. The problem with Disney buying star wars is that they overpaid George Lucas, or at least over paid George Lucas for what they did with Star Wars. I am not sure they have made back what they paid for it. In that sense the movies (besides A force Awakens), succesful as they were on paper were a flop. Especialy since they manged to divide the fanbase. And you do no want to divide the fanbase. Even if you for some reason pretend you don't want part of the fans to go to your movie because you call them toxic fans or whatever, by alienating half of the fans, you also lose half of your income. And for something that is as expensive as star wars was, you can't afford losing half your fans.

For Star Wars as a franchise and fandom I also think it would be better. With George Lucas still in control, I suspect there would be no other movies made. There might be a couple of tv shows, most likely cartoons. But that's it. Whatever you think of the sequel trilogy, it split the fanbase. And that hurt the franchise. Without any new movies, that would not happen. Also the sequel trilogy (and rogue one and Solo) was completely unneccesary and I would even go so far to say that it hurt the original trilogy of movies. I recently rewatched it and saw everyone on several planets cheer over the fall of the empire and I only could think: a couple of years from now, you will be exactly in the same place as at the start of the trilogy. The Empire will still be back. Also they killed the original cast in less than heroic ways, while replacing them with less interesting characters. Basicly Star Wars would be better if the sequel trilogy would not have been made. The prequels at least made the original series better. The sequels made them worse.

George Lucas is almost part Targaryen - we all have to hold our breath to see whether or not his ideas are genius or madness. Still a little upset about “Moriband” and the Big No on the Blu-ray.

How does this relate to him keeping the franchise? It means he’ll definitely have ideas for the sequels sooner or later, but it’s a crapshoot as to whether we get the ones with Luke rebuilding the order against Maul and Talon… or the ones where everybody shrinks Fantastic Voyage style into a Jedi’s body to meet the Midichlorians. Both were on the tables at separate points in time.
By all appearances the Maul sequel was part of Lucas trying to sell up (see we're working on new stuff) and might not have 100% serious. That said if Lucas keeps the franchise Clone wars continues to it's planned end (and possibly has an early sequel) and we might see a live action TV show earlier as well.

What would happen if George Lucas kept Star wars until the day he died?
Then Star Wars would be that thing we reminisced with our friends. Lucas, for better or worse, didn't do much with the IP post Revenge of the Sith and what was coming out was of hit or miss quality and didn't hit the mainstream if it wasn't a video game.

Then Star Wars would be that thing we reminisced with our friends. Lucas, for better or worse, didn't do much with the IP post Revenge of the Sith and what was coming out was of hit or miss quality and didn't hit the mainstream if it wasn't a video game.
Clone Wars...

Which did more than almost anything else to win back the good will the prequels had squandered (and would then be thrown away-before the same creative team repeated the process with Mandalorian -on the Sequels).

We did get the Inquisitors, Cal Kestis and Merrin out of the deal; Clone Wars aside, people forget that Lucasarts had been in a Dork Age ever since Imperial Commando got cancelled.

The problem is that George is an idea man but he still needs someone to keep him under control. E1-2-3 if you look at the orginal designs and such was probably a better idea at the start and as it “evolved” it lost something. I suspect that George needed someone willing to argue with him and whom George would trust and listen to. And if he had this going forward we would get more movies and stuff like e4-5-6. if he didnt find that then future projects would not be as good.
Perhaps George would look at the Anime and at the Cartoons his organization was doing and decide that E7-8-9 could/should be animated in the more dramatic Anime style. You could have Luck Liea and Han voiced by the original cast and have them young. Without the pitfalls of trying yo get older actors to play younger characters. This would allow you to do a follow on series say something based on the Thrawn trilogy.
And before you say that wouldnt work for mainstreem movies or that George wouldnlt ho that different route, remember that the Original Star was was a huge success because George did things thatvhad not bern seen before, He did a modern major motion picture out of a sci gi action adventure and he did it as a fisrt class movie not some cheesy B flick. Similarly he did an seriel action adventure from the 30s/40s and made Indy.
The same concept could be used to do an Anime style e7-8-9.

As for the E.U. You dont use all of it. Heck you don't even address it as such. You just use it for ideas. And you start off with the Thrawn series as it was A probably the most popular of the EU stuff, it was most responsible for the popularity of Star Wars books to a segment of thecfamdom and frankly they are just great sequels to e4-5-6.

Love the prepotency of this thread, Disney propaganda Machine is so efficient. We already have Finn and Kira conceptualized so we will have good writing now

Apparently Lucas had been making plans for the Sequel Trilogy before he ultimately sold Lucasfilm.

My best guess is that you get a Sequel Trilogy more like the Original Trilogy, in that it would be plagued by dense political schemes and wooden dialogue. However, with Lucas at the helm of all three films there at least would be a consistent story across all three films - something which the Disney films lacked.

My opinion is that the Prequel Trilogy, overall, has a good story that is poorly executed. By contrast, the Sequels were well written and directed but the overall story that was told clearly was not planned ahead of time and it ultimately proved underwhelming.

Garrison

Donor
We might have gotten on screen Expanded Universe material, for one.
I suspect whichever studio gets the rights is going to distance themselves from that if not dump it outright. The fact is that it just introduces far too many complications and frankly the general cinema audiences won't care about this. looking at how FOX handled IP like the X-Men and Sony with Spiderman I think that expecting some other studio coming up with 'better' movies is optimistic as the hardcore fans can't agree what that better would actually look like.

The EU was kind of a Wild West - between every various conflicting story and retcon (yes, that includes Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, Dash Rendar, Talon Karrde, Booster Terrik and every lookalike human male that fit into his own story and nobody else's before they decided to make them all canon), there's probably too much stuff to bring every single thing over to movies and/or TV.

If it were up to me, I'd just grab the highlights...
  • Thrawn
  • Pellaeon (I think Disney tried and failed with Rae Sloane?)
  • Borsk Fel'lya
  • Nrin and Ibitsam
  • The Solo Twins
  • The Fel family
  • Boba Fett (we kind of got that)
  • Xizor
  • Tenn Graneet
  • SSD Lusankya
  • SSD Lusankya's fight with Reaper
  • Grevious' backstory
  • Delta Squad
  • A'sharad Hett/Krayt
  • Talon, sans fanservice
... stuff them into canon somewhere that makes sense, and call it a day.

I would guess Lucas would die early from the overwork needed to run the franchise.

I can see something like this happening if this happens.

Elon Musk buys the Star Wars from the heirs of Lucas and pays well over twice its value as Musk claims to be a huge Star Wars fan. (However, Musk often displays a remarkable ignorance of the series, confusing details in it with details from Star Trek, The Thunderbirds, the Princess Bride, The Matrix, Ayn Rand Wikipedia entries, etc.) Musk says Star Wars also will be the perfect tie-in to popularize his nightmarish fantasies plans for saving humanity colonizing Mars via his SpaceX. (Musk fails to mention, let alone understand, that one of the reason earth faces an environmental crises are environmentally destructive companies like SpaceX and selfish billionaires.)

On the day the deal is to close at Lucas Ranch, Musk shows up carrying a new black board and a toilet, which he apparently means to symbolize that he's starting with a clean slate and there's going to a lot new "stuff" coming from him.

Musk, using his famous super-genius, then orders what was Lucas Films (soon to be renamed X) to produce a whole series of new Star War films where Jar Jar Binks is the protagonist. Binks is on a mission to move all life from the current galaxie to a new galaxie far, far away. Binks says he needs to do this because life in this galaxy has run out of living space--the current galaxy has been doomed by a destructive virus that resembles a six-pointed snowflake and causes the minds of those infected to be alert and aware of other life. (It also causes those infected to darken in color.) Most regular living creatures can be infected this virus and, when infected, they become empathetic and non-violent. Consequently, Binks has a created clone army of resistant moon-faced super-geniuses, inculcated by social media. These clones are to transport those living in the parts of the galaxy where virus hasn't yet reached, which glow red, to the new galaxie. The clones will also go to areas of the of galaxie where the virus is endemic, and destroy all life in the infected zones to prevent the virus from spreading. The virus makes these areas glow blue.

Musk begins production of the three films simultaneously, claiming he will apply his engineering knowledge to create a new way of producing films. He calls this X. Musk says X will revolutionize fllm-making cut costs by. Rational people soon point out these will be the most eXpensive X (rated) films ever made.

Musk then immediately fires 80% of the production crew and cast from Lucas Films. The few old stars who he hasn't fired refuse to appear in the films and quit. Consequently, Musk hires such conservative stars as James Woods, Kevin Sorbo, Victoria Jackson, RoseAnne Barr, Stacey Dash, and Cha-Chi. Exhibitors immediately complain.

Variety reports that Musk has ordered the films to adopt the style of his favorite film maker Leni Reifenstahl. Tucker Carlson praises the uniforms uniforms worn by Jar Jar Binks's clone army outfits. Elle notes the uniforms are based on Hugo Boss drawings f from the 1930s.

Various groups and spokes people note that the extermination of a certain group people who have a six point figure in them by an army dressed in Hugo Boss clothes has some unsettling parallel. The EU raises issues about its release in the EU. Israel's reaction is stronger, though they deny the rumors of Musk being any hit list.

Actors who worked on the original star wars films are also critical. Ian McDiarmid said he could never imagine, let alone play, a character as evil as Musk. James Earl Jones and Mark Hammill publicly mock Musk saying the Farce is wih him. Fan pre-emptively promise to boycott the film. Musk call Star War fans who complain and threaten to boycott "shrill" and accuses them of being against artistic freedom. He calls Hamill a has been, and mocks the late Carrie Fisker, who Musk apparently doen't know is dead, as being a crack head.

Variety predicts the films to be bomb so big that it'll make Howard the Duck look like Gone with the Wind. All major exhibitors and streaming services pull out after HBO tentatively agrees to show the series and loses 25% of it subscribers in the following week. Musk finally gets a distribution deal lined up for the films series: they are made direct to cable on the One American News Network. This happens after ONN was booted off 2/3 of its cable systems. Blackboard and toilet memes abound.

However, before the films are anywhere near completed, what many now call a miracle occurs.

Musk has pressured his underlings at SpaceX to hurry the launch schedule of the giant Starship rocket. After several aborted launch attempts the Starship finally gets in the air on a cloudy day in April. Musk is in the audience for this.

Things quickly get weird.

The rocket does take-off but after about 10 second in the air, as it passes through a cloud, the rocket topples from it trajectory as if a giant hand had pushed it. Strange static is heard on the launchsite's audio net. To many it sounds like a familiar woman's voice saying "You're not going to Mars, you're going straight to hell!" The rocket then crashes to earth, landing right where Musk was watching the launch. Musk, along with his closest henches, is incinerated.

As millions watch and listen to recording of the launch, a belief goes viral over the internet: The spirit of Carrie Fisher reach out from the afterworld and killed Musk to save Star Wars. Millions independently report the static sounded like Fisher voice. Over the following weeks various computer-analyses of the recordings find remarkable similarities between the static and Fisher's voice. Similarly millions note that Fisher's profile can be seen formed by some of the clouds and one bank of clouds look like that white thing she wore in a New Hope or whatever the real first Star Wars is called.

After Musk's death there are several years of uncertainty as to who owns the rights to Star Wars films. They finally end up with his estranged daughter Vivian Jenna Wilson, some sort academic dude from Utah, and a Canadian bureaucrat. With scripts by AH's own @Worffan101 and @Doctor What, the Star Wars franchise is revitalized and restored to its greatness.

Also, as a result of the events leading to the death of Musk, a new religion, is founded. It's called Carrying On in honor of idea that Carrie Fisher's spirit carried on beyond death. Among its tenets are
(1) Caring for your home planet and its inhabitants so some asshole with a giant spaceship doesn't destroy it in the name of a silly, power-mad fantasy and
(2) Not exploiting pop culture icons for ill-conceived, self-serving goals.

The highest achievement in Carrying On is felt to be being one with the spirit of Carrie Fisher, which is called Getting Leiaed.

Conversely, avaricious, ignorant people, such as Musk ITTL, who violate the tenets of Carrying On are said to be on the Dork Side.

Carrying On spreads across the planet. World unity is soon achieved. The Earth is saved and restored to an environmental paradise. Eventually, Mars is visited, but only after an environmentally sound way is found to make the journey--and Mar is never terra-formed, as the idea is on the Dork Side.
So your message is be grateful for what Disney gave us IOTL?

We might have gotten some decent movies instead of the weird garbage we got in the OTL. Even the prequel movies were far better than 8 & 9. For me 7 was just OK. Seeing 8 I walked out of the theater with my friends and had to say it was the first SW movie I couldn't say I enjoyed. It was just awful. I didn't even go to see 9 in the theater, I watched it at a friend's house months later. That also sucked. I could give a damn about the whole movie franchise now. Some of the novels may be good, and the Mandalorian started out as something interesting. The problem is after destroying Star Trek my only hope maybe the new Babylon 5. "There is a hole in your mind."

Also the sequel trilogy (and rogue one and Solo) was completely unneccesary and I would even go so far to say that it hurt the original trilogy of movies. I recently rewatched it and saw everyone on several planets cheer over the fall of the empire and I only could think: a couple of years from now, you will be exactly in the same place as at the start of the trilogy. The Empire will still be back. Also they killed the original cast in less than heroic ways, while replacing them with less interesting characters.
EU brought the Empire back after Endor, without undoing the legacy of what the original trilogy had achieved, without undoing the ascendancy of the New Republic or the character development that Luke, Leia and Han underwent.

Probably the biggest kick in the teeth the latest trilogy delivered was breaking Han and Leia up.

I would guess Lucas would die early from the overwork needed to run the franchise.

I can see something like this happening if this happens.

Elon Musk buys the Star Wars from the heirs of Lucas and pays well over twice its value as Musk claims to be a huge Star Wars fan. (However, Musk often displays a remarkable ignorance of the series, confusing details in it with details from Star Trek, The Thunderbirds, the Princess Bride, The Matrix, Ayn Rand Wikipedia entries, etc.) Musk says Star Wars also will be the perfect tie-in to popularize his nightmarish fantasies plans for saving humanity colonizing Mars via his SpaceX. (Musk fails to mention, let alone understand, that one of the reason earth faces an environmental crises are environmentally destructive companies like SpaceX and selfish billionaires.)

On the day the deal is to close at Lucas Ranch, Musk shows up carrying a new black board and a toilet, which he apparently means to symbolize that he's starting with a clean slate and there's going to a lot new "stuff" coming from him.

Musk, using his famous super-genius, then orders what was Lucas Films (soon to be renamed X) to produce a whole series of new Star War films where Jar Jar Binks is the protagonist. Binks is on a mission to move all life from the current galaxie to a new galaxie far, far away. Binks says he needs to do this because life in this galaxy has run out of living space--the current galaxy has been doomed by a destructive virus that resembles a six-pointed snowflake and causes the minds of those infected to be alert and aware of other life. (It also causes those infected to darken in color.) Most regular living creatures can be infected this virus and, when infected, they become empathetic and non-violent. Consequently, Binks has a created clone army of resistant moon-faced super-geniuses, inculcated by social media. These clones are to transport those living in the parts of the galaxy where virus hasn't yet reached, which glow red, to the new galaxie. The clones will also go to areas of the of galaxie where the virus is endemic, and destroy all life in the infected zones to prevent the virus from spreading. The virus makes these areas glow blue.

Musk begins production of the three films simultaneously, claiming he will apply his engineering knowledge to create a new way of producing films. He calls this X. Musk says X will revolutionize fllm-making cut costs by. Rational people soon point out these will be the most eXpensive X (rated) films ever made.

Musk then immediately fires 80% of the production crew and cast from Lucas Films. The few old stars who he hasn't fired refuse to appear in the films and quit. Consequently, Musk hires such conservative stars as James Woods, Kevin Sorbo, Victoria Jackson, RoseAnne Barr, Stacey Dash, and Cha-Chi. Exhibitors immediately complain.

Variety reports that Musk has ordered the films to adopt the style of his favorite film maker Leni Reifenstahl. Tucker Carlson praises the uniforms uniforms worn by Jar Jar Binks's clone army outfits. Elle notes the uniforms are based on Hugo Boss drawings f from the 1930s.

Various groups and spokes people note that the extermination of a certain group people who have a six point figure in them by an army dressed in Hugo Boss clothes has some unsettling parallel. The EU raises issues about its release in the EU. Israel's reaction is stronger, though they deny the rumors of Musk being any hit list.

Actors who worked on the original star wars films are also critical. Ian McDiarmid said he could never imagine, let alone play, a character as evil as Musk. James Earl Jones and Mark Hammill publicly mock Musk saying the Farce is wih him. Fan pre-emptively promise to boycott the film. Musk call Star War fans who complain and threaten to boycott "shrill" and accuses them of being against artistic freedom. He calls Hamill a has been, and mocks the late Carrie Fisker, who Musk apparently doen't know is dead, as being a crack head.

Variety predicts the films to be bomb so big that it'll make Howard the Duck look like Gone with the Wind. All major exhibitors and streaming services pull out after HBO tentatively agrees to show the series and loses 25% of it subscribers in the following week. Musk finally gets a distribution deal lined up for the films series: they are made direct to cable on the One American News Network. This happens after ONN was booted off 2/3 of its cable systems. Blackboard and toilet memes abound.

However, before the films are anywhere near completed, what many now call a miracle occurs.

Musk has pressured his underlings at SpaceX to hurry the launch schedule of the giant Starship rocket. After several aborted launch attempts the Starship finally gets in the air on a cloudy day in April. Musk is in the audience for this.

Things quickly get weird.

The rocket does take-off but after about 10 second in the air, as it passes through a cloud, the rocket topples from it trajectory as if a giant hand had pushed it. Strange static is heard on the launchsite's audio net. To many it sounds like a familiar woman's voice saying "You're not going to Mars, you're going straight to hell!" The rocket then crashes to earth, landing right where Musk was watching the launch. Musk, along with his closest henches, is incinerated.

As millions watch and listen to recording of the launch, a belief goes viral over the internet: The spirit of Carrie Fisher reach out from the afterworld and killed Musk to save Star Wars. Millions independently report the static sounded like Fisher voice. Over the following weeks various computer-analyses of the recordings find remarkable similarities between the static and Fisher's voice. Similarly millions note that Fisher's profile can be seen formed by some of the clouds and one bank of clouds look like that white thing she wore in a New Hope or whatever the real first Star Wars is called.

After Musk's death there are several years of uncertainty as to who owns the rights to Star Wars films. They finally end up with his estranged daughter Vivian Jenna Wilson, some sort academic dude from Utah, and a Canadian bureaucrat. With scripts by AH's own @Worffan101 and @Doctor What, the Star Wars franchise is revitalized and restored to its greatness.

Also, as a result of the events leading to the death of Musk, a new religion, is founded. It's called Carrying On in honor of idea that Carrie Fisher's spirit carried on beyond death. Among its tenets are
(1) Caring for your home planet and its inhabitants so some asshole with a giant spaceship doesn't destroy it in the name of a silly, power-mad fantasy and
(2) Not exploiting pop culture icons for ill-conceived, self-serving goals.

The highest achievement in Carrying On is felt to be being one with the spirit of Carrie Fisher, which is called Getting Leiaed.

Conversely, avaricious, ignorant people, such as Musk ITTL, who violate the tenets of Carrying On are said to be on the Dork Side.

Carrying On spreads across the planet. World unity is soon achieved. The Earth is saved and restored to an environmental paradise. Eventually, Mars is visited, but only after an environmentally sound way is found to make the journey--and Mar is never terra-formed, as the idea is on the Dork Side.
Honestly a semi-serious "careful what you wish for" TL about George somehow ending up selling Lucasfilm to Elon freaking Musk, and him doing about as good of a job handling the franchises he's got his hands on as he's currently doing with Twitter sounds morbidly hilarious.

So your message is be grateful for what Disney gave us IOTL?
Not really. I guess my message might include
  • It could always be worse
  • There's a reason Elon Musk is an anagram for Lone Skum
  • Don't mess with Carrie Fisher
However, I'm not much of a Star Wars fan. I think I've just seen the very first one all the way through in one sitting.

I have seen the crowdsourced version Star Wars Uncut several times and really enjoyed it. It's almost as good as @Worffan101's unfinished non-fiction masterpiece We Don't Talk About Bruno.

Last edited: