Which photo looks best to you?

Votes: 10 27.0%

Votes: 3 8.1%

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
Here is some art I made inspired by the short AH story "No Spot of Ground" by Walter Jon Williams. The POD of which is that Edgar Allan Poe does not die as he did in OTL and goes on to be a Confederate general in the ACW. I'm thinking of making him a character in an ASB TL I've had planned for years. Anyone here think one looks better than the other?

The first one I made about 7 years ago, and continually touched up over the years.

The second is that same photo, but run through the Deep Nostalgia animation program from myheritage.com. I kinda like this one because by happy accident the left eye looks like a cataract is forming in it. Reminds me of the Tell Tale Heart

Then the third is one I just threw together last night in about an hour using Face-App, Microsoft paint, and Deep Nostalgia again.

Please give me your comments

FB_IMG_1628976488101.jpg

FB_IMG_1628976491971.jpg

Gen Poe 2021.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the photos I worked from, for those who are curious

Attachments

• chap_19_01.jpg
    chap_19_01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 190
  • Gen Poe fin13.jpg
    Gen Poe fin13.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 165
  • ConfederateGeneralEarlVanDorn.jpg
    ConfederateGeneralEarlVanDorn.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 177
  • Joseph_Johnston.jpg
    Joseph_Johnston.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Edgar_Allan_Poe.jpg
    Edgar_Allan_Poe.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Gen Poe 2021.jpg
    Gen Poe 2021.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 160
I like photo no. 3... in the 1st two, General Poe looks a bit jaundiced and/or hung over....
Maybe #3 could be used for early in the War, and 1 or 2 could be used for the later years, once the pressures of command and combat start to wear him down? :)

I like photo no. 3... in the 1st two, General Poe looks a bit jaundiced and/or hung over....
Maybe #3 could be used for early in the War, and 1 or 2 could be used for the later years, once the pressures of command and combat start to wear him down? :)

The first one looks the most realistic, but they’re all pretty awesome. Well done!
You really think the first one looks more realistic?

I do have special feelings for the first one since that's the one I spent the most time on. Days of touch-ups to be honest. Thing is since it was based on a drawing in the first place, one that I'm not sure captures Poe's face accurately enough. So I never felt it looked realistic or good enough. I feel that Poe should look more wrinkly by that period of age, and due to war fatigue. But that was the best I could do with Microsoft paint and the free photo editing software that I had years ago. My in-story justification for that was going to be that it's simply a hand drawn picture of him based on a wartime photo.

That's why I decided to experiment and make the third one that I did last night with more modern photo software meant to specifically
modify facial appearances

So for now my backstory for the photos are that the first one is a hand copy published in newspapers. And the third one is a wartime photograph from around 1863

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention this, so I will here for full transparency. I was inspired to make this art by the photo created for this article that was made from a photo of Poe and Gen. Earl Van Dorn. I basically tried to make a better looking version for my first photo.

I decided to do some more edits and touch up Poe's coat collar, mustache, forehead, and wisp of hair along his forehead in order to make it look better and more distinct from the original picture

Gen Poe 2021.jpgGen Poe 2021 5.jpg

Gen Poe 2021 5.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, its been over a week and the consensus seems to be that the 3rd photo is the favorite to most. Thank you all, I feel more confident now using this art in my TL. I think I will still stick with the idea of using photo1 as a newspaper wood engraving and the second as a mid-war photo. I may post further art later on

If anyone here knows of other photo editing software they can recommend I look into using please do.