Frederick V dies in 1747 or 1748 - First Queen Regnant of Denmark-Norway?

Technically, Denmark's current Queen Margaret II is the country's first Queen Regnant, her namesake Margaret I never officially having held the title of Queen in that country. Before her, no woman ever officially sat on the Danish throne, although there have been several influental Queen Consorts and female regents.

For a brief time in the 18th century however, Denmark had a female heir apparent: Sophia Magdalena, who between her older brother's death on the 3rd of June 1747 and until her younger brother's birth on the 29th of January 1749 was the legal heir of her father, Frederick V, and thus of Denmark-Norway. If her father had died between June 3rd 1747 and (roughly) April 1748 so that there's no posthumous birth, this could have some fascinating consequences as a 1-year old girl becomes Denmark-Norway's first Queen.

Now, Frederick V was in otl one of the Danish-Norwegian Kings least involved in the government of his realm, leaving it fully in the hands of his ministers to dedicate himself to his hedonistic lifestyle - which surely could be the cause of an early death in the alternate timeline. In this regard, the difference between his "rule" and a regency for the infant Queen may not be that different. A chief difference might be that J.H.E Bernstorff may not be as influental in the regency as he was in Frederick V's otl reign, as he only became a Privy Councilor in 1749, although he was rapidly rising in the ranks of Danish politics before then. Bernstorff was in otl a hugely important driver of Danish diplomacy in this era, and played an important role in Denmark-Norway maintaining peace during the second half of the 18th century, leading to both a massive expansion in revenue from trade, and a gradual decay of the Danish military. Most notably he was to a large degree responsible for solving the inheritance dispute over Schleswig-Holstein that in 1762 almost had led to a russian invasion of Denmark, with a female ruler that succession dispute is likely to me even more rough and if Bernstorff isn't there to step in with his diplomatic talent the situation might be resolved way differently.

Of course, later down the line Frederick's early death means that Christian VII, of "a royal affair" fame, is never born, sparing Denmark-Norway a very mentally unstable monarch's 42-year long reign, but also most likely the temporary liberal reforms of Johann Struensee. Additionally, with Juliane Marie of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel never becoming Queen, and Hereditary Prince Frederick never being born, means that two important political figures are totally removed from late 18th century Denmark. Speaking of Queens, Frederick V's early death means it's highly likely that Louise of Great Britain lives longer, since she died from complications related to her sixth pregnancy by the King. I assume she would be an important part of Sophia Magdalena's regency, and while she was popular both with the Danish people and nobility, I'm unsure how effectively she could take the reigns of actually governing if it came to her. Especially, she might butt some heads with the German nobility that had grown so dominant in the Danish government during the first half of the 18th century.

Now, regarding the ever fun question of marriage, it's obviously going to be a big deal for Sophia Magdalena - unless she turns out to be a Queen Elizabeth or Christina type of person (not impossible, her lack of a sex life with her husband was rather famous otl, but I think most people put this rather on Gustav than her). Her otl match of Gustav III of Sweden is probably straight off the table and out the window, or maybe not. Frederick V had been considered as a candidate for the Swedish throne in 1743, so the idea of a new Dano-Norwegian-Swedish personal union wasn't exactly foreign, but the Danish government wasn't that hot on the idea. Louise had also opposed Sophia Magdalena being paired up with Gustav iotl, although she of course didn't stand to be Queen of Denmark in otl. I find it most likely that another husband is found for her, but it's not impossible.

Now as I already mentioned earlier, Sophia Magdalena inheriting Denmark-Norway may lead to trouble in the Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein, traditionally Salic Law was practiced in the Duchies, but this had been ignored in 1460 with the treaty of Ribe, which had allowed Danish inheritance laws to apply. In short, the inheritance laws were a bit mucky, and that's naturally a hotbed for conflict. Even if there's, say, a Danish "pragmatic sanction" Otl's Peter III would probably be declaring her succession in the duchies illegitimate the moment Frederick V died, and would do everything to claim them for himself, though he probably can't do much before he becomes Emperor - much like in otl. Sophia Magdalena might be promsied to marry into another branch of the Dukes of Schleswig-Holstein to try and stabilize the situation there a bit (Peter himself is out of the picture since he married Catherine in 1745, and either way there's probably to much bad blood for him to have been considered anyway), a Duke of Augustenburg might be a possibility, seing as they were the second-most senior branch of the Oldenburgs, but Frederick Christian is 25 years older than Sophia Magdalena... If the situation cannot be resolved, we may end up with a straight up war of succession in Schleswig-Holstein, as well as perhaps a "pragmatic sanction" of sorts for Sophia Magdalena.

Now, as for Sophia Magdalena herself, her upbringing might be completely different than in otl, both because she's raised to be Queen Regnant, not merely Queen of Sweden, but also because her longer-living mother will be a much bigger part of it. She seems to have been fairly introverted in otl, though still charming, but this was probably to some degree at least influenced by her stern religious upbringing, if she is raised by her much more lively mother then she may well have a completely different personality. She never involved herself much in politics in otl, but the few times she did she seems to have been decent at it. Most of all she was completely misplaced in otl, in a court she didn't fit in with, a husband who largely ignored her and a mother-in-law who despised her. As Queen Regnant she'll have a much better chance at "spreading her wings" so to speak, and be a more actively involved part of her country's politics.

What do you think of these possibilites?

Last edited:
didn't Margarethe only become queen because her dad changed the succession law?
Yes. In 1748 the Royal Law of 1665 is in place, specifying females can inherit if there is no male heir agnatically descendant from Frederick III, such as was the case between June 3rd 1747 and January 29th 1749. This was changed in 1853 to a completely agnatic system of inheritance, barring female inheritance altogether, and later changed again in 1953 to again allow female succession.

Yes. In 1748 the Royal Law of 1665 is in place, specifying females can inherit if there is no male heir agnatically descendant from Frederick III, such as was the case between June 3rd 1747 and January 29th 1749. This was changed in 1853 to a completely agnatic system of inheritance, barring female inheritance altogether, and later changed again in 1953 to again allow female succession.
ah my bad.
Otl's Peter III would probably be declaring her succession in the duchies illegitimate the moment Frederick V died, and would do everything to claim them for himself, though he probably can't do much before he becomes Emperor - much like in otl.
pretty much true. After all, his aunt basically signed Sweden and Finland away on his behalf in 1740/1743.

Now, regarding the ever fun question of marriage,
What about Karl II August of Zweibrucken (the guy who was in love with Marie Antoinette's sister)? Zweibrucken is insignificant enough that he wouldn't tip the balance of power, his dad is a field marshal in the Imperial Army and was previously considered for the Swedish throne, Karl has an uncle (Christian IV) who hasn't married yet (only marrying morganatically in 1751), plus his aunt is the Grosse Landgrafin of Hesse-Darmstadt, he's got ties (albeit distant) to the imperial family. And he descends from Christian II.

Other more...likely candidates would be: Karl II of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (brother of Britain's Queen Charlotte), OTL he tried to get George III to help him secure a match with one of Sophia Magdalene's sisters, but George refused.
Frederik Karl Ferdinand of Brunswick-Bevern, a Danish field marshal from 1761
One of Queen Luise's Hesse-Kassel nephews. Her sister Mary is still likely to go to Copenhagen when her husband converts to Catholicism
A Prussian/Hannoverian prince
Naturally a prince of Holstein would be considered but the main ones are the future emperor of Russia (who has no son until the 1750s), the current king of Sweden, the duke of Augustenborg is twenty years her senio. Karl Friedrich of Holstein-Beck has a son born in 1732 who might be considered, but his mother is Anna Orszelska (the daughter of Augustus the Strong) so not sure if it would be deemed "equal". The duke of Glyksborg's son is born in 1747 while Plön has nobody

One of Queen Luise's Hesse-Kassel nephews. Her sister Mary is still likely to go to Copenhagen when her husband converts to Catholicism
I find myself liking this option, if only because I think that Queen Louise would favour it, and since she's well-positioned to be an influential figures in government, it seems plausible enough to me. Either William (Vilhelm) or Charles (Carl) work out well, age-wise, so the choice of brother would really depend on whether a union with Hesse-Kassel is seen as desirable.

I think it will depend largely on how well the government manages to sort out the situation with the duchies, the German nobility and burgership most likely desires a continued union with Denmark-Norway since they have they traditionally have benefited from supporting the monarchs against the native nobility. In otl the 18th century was however a time when the Danish nobility tried hard to make themselves relevant again, and they could probably gather around Louise of Great Britain for this, as she was seen as very pro-Danish. A match for Sophia with someone from the duchies may be seen as a compromise solution to guarantee both some continued influence as well as the German nobility’s continued cooperation. It’ll probably take some drastic blunders to create actual separatist feelings in the Duchy though. A match that’ll lead to another union for Denmark, especially with another German state, could probably be seen as a major threat by the German nobility as it’d be another source of “foreign” support for the Danish monarch, which would lessen their own influence. Thus if a non-Holsatian husband is found I think there’d be pressure for it to be someone who didn’t bring major lands with him, Charles of Hesse is probably an option. Weren’t the hessians considered as possible successors in Denmark generally when the main line of the Oldenburgs were about to end? I think @Jürgen has mentioned this.

I think it will depend largely on how well the government manages to sort out the situation with the duchies, the German nobility and burgership most likely desires a continued union with Denmark-Norway since they have they traditionally have benefited from supporting the monarchs against the native nobility. In otl the 18th century was however a time when the Danish nobility tried hard to make themselves relevant again, and they could probably gather around Louise of Great Britain for this, as she was seen as very pro-Danish. A match for Sophia with someone from the duchies may be seen as a compromise solution to guarantee both some continued influence as well as the German nobility’s continued cooperation. It’ll probably take some drastic blunders to create actual separatist feelings in the Duchy though. A match that’ll lead to another union for Denmark, especially with another German state, could probably be seen as a major threat by the German nobility as it’d be another source of “foreign” support for the Danish monarch, which would lessen their own influence. Thus if a non-Holsatian husband is found I think there’d be pressure for it to be someone who didn’t bring major lands with him, Charles of Hesse is probably an option. Weren’t the hessians considered as possible successors in Denmark generally when the main line of the Oldenburgs were about to end? I think @Jürgen has mentioned this.
AFAIK the Hessians "potential successors" only dated from Louise's daughters' marriages to their cousins and then the cadet branches of Kassel's repeated intermarriage with the Danish royals

AFAIK the Hessians "potential successors" only dated from Louise's daughters' marriages to their cousins and then the cadet branches of Kassel's repeated intermarriage with the Danish royals
Makes sense, I do feel a marriage to some branch of the Oldenburg family is the most likely option. Perhaps a case could be made for otl Charles XIII of Sweden? It’d fufill the goal of shoring up Danish-Swedish relations, without as much of a risk of a personal union, and it’d hopefully dampen Peter III’s ambition (or at least it’s legitimacy) since it’d bring a branch of the Gottorps back to Schleswig-Holstein.

Now, as for Sophia Magdalena herself, her upbringing might be completely different than in otl, both because she's raised to be Queen Regnant, not merely Queen of Sweden, but also because her longer-living mother will be a much bigger part of it. She seems to have been fairly introverted in otl, though still charming, but this was probably to some degree at least influenced by her stern religious upbringing, if she is raised by her much more lively mother then she may well have a completely different personality. She never involved herself much in politics in otl, but the few times she did she seems to have been decent at it. Most of all she was completely misplaced in otl, in a court she didn't fit in with, a husband who largely ignored her and a mother-in-law who despised her. As Queen Regnant she'll have a much better chance at "spreading her wings" so to speak, and be a more actively involved part of her country's politics.
I think ttl’s Sophie I will be very different from her otl counterpart. Her upbringing will be radically different since she’ll become Queen of Denmark-Norway, and therefore her personality will likely change as well. I think she would be a decent ruler, as she seems to have had at least some intelligence ttl, and without her being isolated at court it will also give her more confidence I’d imagine. Her mother living will also likely mean that she is brought up less pious and more frivolous, which can be both good and bad. However, her father dying young will likely do her a world of good, as he seems to have traumatized her. IIRC he would sometimes set his dogs after her in his drunken stupors. All in all I imagine that she will be more like her mother: Joyful, courteous, more extroverted while also being educated to rule over her realms

As for her marriage, a match to one of the cadet branches is most likely in my view. It keeps the Oldenburgs on the throne and it provides a sorta excuse for letting her (or her husband) retain control over the duchies. It might actually resolve the Slesvig-Holsten question easier and 100 years before it became a question of nationalism and not as much about inheritance rules, which could easily be to the benefit of Denmark

Thus if a non-Holsatian husband is found I think there’d be pressure for it to be someone who didn’t bring major lands with him, Charles of Hesse is probably an option.
After thinking about it for a bit, I can see Charles of Hesse being held in reserve for a last-ditch 'domestic' match in case a Holstein marriage never materializes. Sort of like how the Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh was kept unmarried as a backup plan in case a suitable international match couldn't be found for Charlotte of Wales.

Pretty interesting.

I was looking at which major protestant monarch she could marry beside the one mentioned

Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia nephew to Frederik the Great
Willem V of the Netherlands (two years her junior)
George III of Britain.

None of these people are very likely, but they should be kept in mind.

My thoughts about different potential marriages.

Augustenburg would be the way to go for minimum disturbance, yes he’s 25 year older than her but his wife in OTL was only two years older than her.

The Hessian cousin will be seen as a pro-British choice but not to a degree that France will start a war about. Few other beside France will care. It will shift Danish foreign focus to Lower Saxony and likely result in increased integration of

Mecklenburg will be a neutral choice, but will strengthen Denmark in North Germany and the Western Baltic. Prussia and Sweden would not like this, maybe enough to start a war. Austria would likely use the opportunity to attempt to reconquer Silesia.

Choosing Sweden will start a war, there’s no way Russia will accept a Danish-Swedish union, while Peter III would likely love the idea, Elizabeth of Russia would be able to see how dangerous that union would be for Russia.

A Prussian union would result in a war.

The main problem with the Netherlands is the domestic Dutch reaction, beside that I could see France objecting to such a union. The union would make some sense.

A British-Danish Union would start a continental war, it would disrupt the power balance completely.

Pretty interesting.

I was looking at which major protestant monarch she could marry beside the one mentioned
Even if she doesn’t marry any major monarch, the potential of a marriage could probably be leveraged for political gain. The otl Danish strategy of the time revolved around keeping the realm unified and at peace though, so I really do think a hessian or Holsatian match is most likely.
The Hessian cousin will be seen as a pro-British choice but not to a degree that France will start a war about. Few other beside France will care. It will shift Danish foreign focus to Lower Saxony and likely result in increased integration of
Of the duchies? An alternate crisis like the one Peter III caused could probably lead to Denmark trying to reign the duchies in more, though it’ll probably take the emperor’s blessing in regards to Holstein.
After thinking about it for a bit, I can see Charles of Hesse being held in reserve for a last-ditch 'domestic' match in case a Holstein marriage never materializes. Sort of like how the Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh was kept unmarried as a backup plan in case a suitable international match couldn't be found for Charlotte of Wales.
Seems likely, I also think Louise would favor this marriage.