Franz Ferdinand Had a Much Better Day: a TL

At this present time, it is unfortunate that I must bump this.

Come on, Hobel! This is an excellent TL - lets keep it coming, eh?

Sorry, not a real update, just a status one.

So I realized I got a little over my head research wise in some of the areas I've had planned. I've been reading a lot of books and so forth to try to get a better idea of where I'm heading. My intention, with this TL, isn't just to create a plausible AH scenario, but one that shows an alternate modernity, something we'd recognize as similar to our own but very different in the details, and explore what that says about OTL. But to do so requires, well, a lot of work, some of which I've slacked on lately.

Anyway, the good news is, updates will return August 1st! You are free to strangle me through the internet if they do not. But hopefully that wn't be necessary.

Sorry, not a real update, just a status one.

So I realized I got a little over my head research wise in some of the areas I've had planned. I've been reading a lot of books and so forth to try to get a better idea of where I'm heading. My intention, with this TL, isn't just to create a plausible AH scenario, but one that shows an alternate modernity, something we'd recognize as similar to our own but very different in the details, and explore what that says about OTL. But to do so requires, well, a lot of work, some of which I've slacked on lately.

Anyway, the good news is, updates will return August 1st! You are free to strangle me through the internet if they do not. But hopefully that wn't be necessary.

Well, good news by the way, but that are your intention(the general scenario), i think are good intention(but very different, becausa A-H will solve part of the podwer keg of the balkans, and the Ottomans the same in the middle east), but again, i want you to continue the TL(going awesome, specially after the last development with the Irish Exlies and thye mad baron)

well, i wish you luck and i'll wait to August 1st

Att
Nivek von Beldo

And it's back!

-----

I was there in the trenches/
When they fought the world war/
Plenty of 'em got to ask me/
What they were dying for/

-The Devil, from Shepherd's hit 1982 album, Green Lightning

----

When I was growing up, I was always being reminded of my heritage. My parents were refugees from the Sunda War, and it was thought back then that they might go home one day. It never happened; the war went on so long, and we put down too many roots in the Javanese-American community in New York. But I never had really moved out of those circles until college; we had some contact with the Greeks and Romanians down a few blocks on 8th Avenue, and there were a few Chinese around, though most of them were Indos too. But I'd had little to no contact with the the mainstream of US culture until college. That was about the time the Straits War broke out and we threw in for Red Malaysia. Everyone knows how tense things got, especially after the war spread to Indochina. That was when I first got in touch with mainstream US culture and it affected my feelings of the country for a long time. We all know how tense the 80s were. But it was my experiences in that era that shaped my attitudes, that peace is always preferable to war, that violence is illegitimate, and it was these principles that spurred me to go into the diplomatic corps: I wanted to bring peace to the world.

- US Ambassador John Sastrowardoyo, Sailing

----
January 1, 1916
St. Petersburg

Sergey Sazonov, Russian Royal Foreign Minister, sat glumly in his office. He really couldn't keep going on like this. He really couldn't. He wanted to make things right just like everyone, but this.... this was pushing the line.

He had to tell him.

No, he couldn't.

But he should.

Should he?

Sazonov flipped a coin.

Last edited:
VERY good update, Hobel. I liked it, especially the bit with the ambassador. Good to see its back - now, can i has moar, plz? :D:p

January 15, 1916

Boston

"I call this meeting to order," said John Devoy, president and founder of Clan na Gael, to the assembled leaders of his organization. "We have a very distinguished guest here today, who should need no introduction to any loyal son of Ireland. Mr. Devlin? You have the floor,"

"Thank you," said Joseph Devlin. "I am one of the last free ministers of Ireland's rightful government. I have to thank all of you, and the great men you represent, for your financial and materiel support. You were instrumental in our fight, and I thank you for that, on behalf of all of Ireland."

"Some of you may be despairing, since right now Ireland's cause seems very bleak. I tell you, this is not so. I had an epiphany on the train up here. England, England is a giant among nations. But every giant falls sometime. Greece, Rome, Babylon - all of them fell, and only then did they release their conquered nations from their grasp. And so it will be with Britain! This war affords us an opportunity, to cut England down to size! This war is breaking their treasury - read the papers, this country is buying British debt by the shipful. And we know that a poor country cannot maintain an empire. We must think long term. Every little measure we carried out against them, every loaned pound they spend - think: That is Ireland one day closer to freedom. Every penny they spend brings them that much closer to their inevitable fall. And what is the font of England's gold? Its empire! Gentlemen, I'd like to present to you a proposal..."

---

((More to come later today))

Well, Excellent than you return, i always like this timeline and you return in the date(that was an excellent detail) and now reading the updates:

*read the first one, especially the part about ambasaddor* Wait..... Nani te? That Javanesse(doesn't should be Indonesia. 'sound terror music') and a Red Malaysia(if that possible!!) and that experience in the 'Strait war'(or i should said.. Vietnam war?) and What happen to the russians(beside the collapse of the magyar rebellion), don't tell me they are lossing so bad than someone whan to negotiated in the back of the Tsar???...

The First Update Kill me, a lot of cliffhanger and the sight in the future doesn't help us... they teases us...

The Second Update was more interesting(Poor Irish,i think here even with all the german help, a full independant and unifed Ireland was possible...) that means than the Irish are planning a boycot to the british(that will be bad for them and if they do bad diplomacy maneauvre... worse), that promise a lot...

I Congratulate you for your return... his timeline always surprise me... waiting for another update

ATT
Nivek von Beldo

I just finished reading me your story alternative. I loved it. I hope that very soon the upgrade (especially the Irish War of Independence and Davlin's proposal on how to attack the British Empire).

Greetings.

More!

I just reread this from start to finish, and would love to see more of it--well done so far!

Hi guys, I'm sorry to disappoint, but FF is dead, at least for the indefinite future. I'm trying to focus on my schoolwork right now, and next year I'll be in graduate school so I'll be at least as busy. At this point, I've sort of realized I've bitten off a lot more than I can chew with this TTL. In hindsight, trying to write everything in a narrative style was a mistake - because every single little event requires a huge writeup (or two... or three). I managed to get about a year and a half of this timeline done in six months - at that rate, it would take me decades to just get up to the present day.

I have some ideas for another TL that I may explore over the summer, and eventually I may come back to FF in a more 'history textbook'-based format (with narrative interludes!), but as for now, FF won't be updated again anytime soon. I'd like to thank all of you who have followed FF, your input was helpful and your support appreciated. Sorry about this, but RL is RL...

FDW

Banned
I'm sorry to hear about that, and I do hope that this TL does get a second chance one day…