Francis Drake as King of England?

Drake is an interesting figure in British History and one with great ability to change the course of things and so I put it to you, even coming from such a lowly background, would it have been possible for Francis Drake to marry Queen Elizabeth. If Drake's wife dies before the wedding takes place and with his renown and fortune by 1580, could a late marriage have taken place? If one wanted to be more ambitious, why not have Drake gain more renown earlier, say a great expedition and victory by 1570-1575.

Is his comparatively lowly stock too much of a contributor? Or could Drake's fame and popularity escalate him onto the throne?

It not be impossible that monarch would marry non-royal on 16th century, but it would be pretty difficult. And for Elisabeth is more usefult to marry someone protestant royal than someone low-birth man.

TFSmith121

Banned
Surely "Knight-Consort" rather than king, though...

Surely "Knight-Consort" rather than king, though...

Interesting idea.

All hail Prince Francis Victor as Bess' heir?

Best,

Considering that when his first wife died in 1581, he was already 41 and Elizabeth was 48, it's somewhat curious exactly what that union would have been intended to accomplish- beyond getting the Spanish upset for her marrying a known pirate,getting the Continental princes upset for her marrying a commoner in an age when monarchs almost always wed other royals at least for their first unions [and I'm not sure her Subjects would have been happy with her marrying so down as they weren't in the case of her own parents' marriage].
Then,too, Elizabeth had been bastardized from her parents' divorce right up to her own Accession [ and it's only historical retro-courtesy that she's been termed 'Princess' beforehand because not only did Henry himself NOT reverse his previous stance but neither of her half-sibs did so either despite whatever religious stances and issues they may have had with Henry] . My point being that Elizabeth was so anxious to show the world that she WAS Queen and not a bastard that I seriously doubt that she would have risked her reversal of fortune re marrying someone of such lower social status [to say nothing whether she would have thought it worth her losing her 'Virgin Queen' public stance].
. Also, it should be noted that Drake himself was married twice yet had no marital offspring [and no known nonmarital ones] so, along with Elizabeth's own advancing age, this would have virtually guaranteed this union to be as childless as Queen Mary's proved.
Oddly enough, though, Elizabeth kept teasing the Continental princes with the option of possible marriage if they did things her way beforehand [and her ministers kept assuring that she WAS fertile] well into her 50's!

Oddly enough, though, Elizabeth kept teasing the Continental princes with the option of possible marriage if they did things her way beforehand [and her ministers kept assuring that she WAS fertile] well into her 50's!

My favorite part of that aspect is they justified it with "Virginity Power!"

Of course in the modern day there's a lot of historians who dispute how much of a virgin she actually was but it didn't stop her ministers from using it to explain away how a sixty year old woman was supposed to get pregnant.

Maybe kick start his career early, have them married in 1573-4? That'd put them both just within the fertile range, maybe allow for an heir of the House Drake, if Lizzy was fertile.

EDIT: Maybe even earlier? At a stretch, if Frank begins his career in 1558 (earlier than OTL), gets distinguished enough (perhaps with a great discovery or early circumnavigation, both of which would be done within 4 or 5 years)

Last edited: