France and England back Mussolini over Austria

Hmm. France and Britain would probably need to bribe Mussy in some area or another, but after that, Hitler would have just made a fool of himself. Not only that, but he had shown that the 'Greater German Volk' was just not going to be all united under him. Then the actual loss of all that territory and the 'pincer' around bohemia will stop if not severely hinder the annexation of Sudetenland.
It would be interestig seeing Austria become an Italian puppet, though.

Hmm. France and Britain would probably need to bribe Mussy in some area or another, but after that, Hitler would have just made a fool of himself. Not only that, but he had shown that the 'Greater German Volk' was just not going to be all united under him. Then the actual loss of all that territory and the 'pincer' around bohemia will stop if not severely hinder the annexation of Sudetenland.
It would be interestig seeing Austria become an Italian puppet, though.

Why would they have to bribe Mussolini? He was already opposed to it they merely have to back him up.

Last edited:
Why would they have to bribe Mussolini? He was already opposed to it they merely have to back him up.

If he sees that France and England are also desperate to stop it, hell squeeze something out of them, even if its just economic concessions or technological assistance.

If he sees that France and England are also desperate to stop it, hell squeeze something out of them, even if its just economic concessions or technological assistance.

Why would they look desperate? He made a proposal and they agreed with it. He gets prestige out of it and that is probably all he gets out of it. He can't change his mind that quickly after he made the proposal otherwise he looks vacillating.

He might just settle for some ridiculous speeches and a chance to grandstand around Europe as hero of the hour. It wouldn't be out of character for him to throw away a good opportunity just for the sake of further polishing his ego.

Why would they look desperate? He made a proposal and they agreed with it. He gets prestige out of it and that is probably all he gets out of it. He can't change his mind that quickly after he made the proposal otherwise he looks vacillating.

When are you talking about here? OTL I remember that Germany had tried before and Mussie succesfully blocked the annexation. It was only after Hitler and Mussie became firm allies that he allowed it.

He might just settle for some ridiculous speeches and a chance to grandstand around Europe as hero of the hour. It wouldn't be out of character for him to throw away a good opportunity just for the sake of further polishing his ego.

That sounds just what Mussie would do, but if were talking about the second (OTL succesful) time, even he would notice that drama was not enough.

When are you talking about here? OTL I remember that Germany had tried before and Mussie succesfully blocked the annexation. It was only after Hitler and Mussie became firm allies that he allowed it.

But it wasn't literally overnight. If the French and Brits back him up he's won. He would look ridiculous asking for concessions to do what he stated he was going to do in the first place. I guess it is how you look at it. Looking at my first post I should have made it clearer. I assumed that POD is that the Allies didn't object about Ethiopia. Somehow I left that out.

But it wasn't literally overnight. If the French and Brits back him up he's won. He would look ridiculous asking for concessions to do what he stated he was going to do in the first place. I guess it is how you look at it. Looking at my first post I should have made it clearer. I assumed that POD is that the Allies didn't object about Ethiopia. Somehow I left that out.

In the long run, if this is leading to some sort of half-hearted Allied Italy, concessions would be needed. If this is a one off scenario, Mussie would secretly ask for some money or technological aid, and then as El Pip clearly reminded us, boast about it for years. Assuming this is the OTL succesful Anchluss, Hitler is going to have a very hard time as I said in my first post.

In the long run, if this is leading to some sort of half-hearted Allied Italy, concessions would be needed. If this is a one off scenario, Mussie would secretly ask for some money or technological aid, and then as El Pip clearly reminded us, boast about it for years. Assuming this is the OTL succesful Anchluss, Hitler is going to have a very hard time as I said in my first post.

He might get some cash or tech out of it but I doubt land. If he does it will be in North Africa somewhere.

I could see that work and that would hamper Hitler greatly.

I'm sure. Apart from what I posted above:

Hitler would have just made a fool of himself. Not only that, but he had shown that the 'Greater German Volk' was just not going to be all united under him. Then the actual loss of all that territory and the 'pincer' around bohemia will stop if not severely hinder the annexation of Sudetenland.

Fascist Italy will be much stronger. This will all probably lead to a sort of 'West v Soviets and Commies' WWII and a cold war between the 'West' (Britain, USA, colonies and some other allies ad possibly defeated democratic Russia) vs Fascists (Italy at the lead, Germany, Spain,possibly France, East European puppet states, and colonies).

This could be rather interesting and could resemble Longvin's Italy 1936/Empire Reborn a little.