For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

If it would take 35 years to fully mine it, why not sell futures? For $5,000 now, you can get a fraction of the material smelted that would be estimated worth $10,000. Sell four hundred million of those bonds (i hope that's the right word for this) and you'd get the $2 trillion in capital for mining and such bonds. For the bond holders, you can either sit on them and get a reward some time down the line or sell them for say $6,000 and make a 20% profit right away. This would still leave $16 trillion in material for the M7 to split.

People have invested in far stupider ideas.

Zor

Last edited:
If it would take 35 years to fully mine it, why not sell futures? For $5,000 now, you can get a fraction of the material smelted that would be estimated worth $10,000. Sell four million of those bonds (i hope that's the right word for this) and you'd get the $2 trillion in capital for mining and such bonds. For the bond holders, you can either sit on them and get a reward some time down the line or sell them for say $6,000 and make a 20% profit right away. This would still leave $16 trillion in material for the M7 to split.

People have invested in far stupider ideas.

Zor

I think the issue is not the price itself, but the time. To think about it, the idea of move the asteroid on Earth orbit to mine it is not THAT bad, especially since it could further push for new hardware in the space around Earth (maybe in the future, we could see a Space Elevator). However, one point that scares me is...

...if something goes wrong, and the asteroid falls on Earth? How much damaging could it be?

Of course, the problem is what happens to the price where there is such a massive supply of iridium in Earth's orbit. Granted, cheap iridium might mean it becomes profitable to use it in applications where it currently isn't and can improve the quality of goods and services and overall productivity.
Then there is also the "Once in a lifetime opportunity". No. There are plenty of similar asteroids out there, and if fusion rockets are already a thing (at least fusion powered ion engines, but other fusion rockets would be developed), they are all available within a few years.

I suspect that something will go wrong with the operation. They will bring the asteroid to Earth all right. The problem will be how to stop it from hitting our blue ball. It will take coordinated efforts of all our heroes to save the planet.

I suspect that something will go wrong with the operation. They will bring the asteroid to Earth all right. The problem will be how to stop it from hitting our blue ball. It will take coordinated efforts of all our heroes to save the planet.
Just to ask,

if that asteroid falls on Earth, according to what we know from the lore, how much damaging it could be? We are NOT talking about something like the dinosaurs, right?

Just to ask,

if that asteroid falls on Earth, according to what we know from the lore, how much damaging it could be? We are NOT talking about something like the dinosaurs, right?
Goldilocks is the same size as this one. If it impacted "The energy released by a collision with an object the size of 1950 DA would cause major effects on the climate and biosphere, which would be devastating to human civilization." IRL, it sparked renewed interest in asteroid deflection so the FAMverse at least has a few advantages over us in that department.

Last edited:
Goldilocks is the same size as this one. If it impacted "The energy released by a collision with an object the size of 1950 DA would cause major effects on the climate and biosphere, which would be devastating to human civilization." IRL, it sparked renewed interest in asteroid deflection so the FAMverse at least has a few advantages over us in that department.

But being all made of Iridium, wouldn't be much more resistant and damaging?

Could the move to put Goldilocks in Earth or Lunar orbit prompt the M7 to develop something akin to the Space guard programme, OTL this started from a 73 Arthur C Clarke novel, but pretty sure we've not had it mentioned yet ITTL

This would, by its very nature, need to be a unified effort, and could lead to a unified space programme, or at least a joint programme under the M7 nations and Helios, which would lead the path to, what I guess will be the Finale, a mission out of the solar system or to the oort cloud

Called shot from the most recent episode:

The modifications that Ed talked Ilya through are going to go unnoticed to Miles and that's what causes the explosion while the Helios staff are on strike

I really enjoyed Margo and Aleida's plotline this episode. I half expected Aleida to catch Irina using phrasing that feels like Margo and maybe getting tipped off that way, but how they did it was also great. You really felt the catharsis for the characters as I hoped.

Also Ed's cranky stubborn old man arc leading him to become a union man is great.

I really enjoyed Margo and Aleida's plotline this episode. I half expected Aleida to catch Irina using phrasing that feels like Margo and maybe getting tipped off that way, but how they did it was also great. You really felt the catharsis for the characters as I hoped.

Also Ed's cranky stubborn old man arc leading him to become a union man is great.

I think Aleida did, there were moments when Aleida, Irina and Director Hobson were having their talk and when Aleida started to go "hang on a minute" - now this was covered up by the accusation that Roscosmos had spies within NASA, and that the info was public anyways, but Aleida certainly had he'd suspicions at this point.

I think Aleida did, there were moments when Aleida, Irina and Director Hobson were having their talk and when Aleida started to go "hang on a minute" - now this was covered up by the accusation that Roscosmos had spies within NASA, and that the info was public anyways, but Aleida certainly had he'd suspicions at this point.
I was sure that "Work the problem" was going to be the thing that tipped the scale to Aleida. It's a phrase that, while not exactly unique to Margot, is something she said a lot

Why do I get the feeling this asteroid is going to end up going INTO Earth, or be accidentally sent on a crash course with Earth?

Rock that size, it's going into all of us. A similarly sized object has been calculated to have "major effects on the climate and biosphere, which would be devastating to human civilization".

Rock that size, it's going into all of us. A similarly sized object has been calculated to have "major effects on the climate and biosphere, which would be devastating to human civilization".

I asked this already: how much damaging would be if that 'object' falls on Earth, maybe on a populated area?

Because one upside of mining it on Mars was that, if the asteroid got 'too captured' by the planet's pull and fell down, unless is truck where the colony was it would have been safe. Maybe it would have been even more cheap to mine once it crashed on the surface...

I asked this already: how much damaging would be if that 'object' falls on Earth, maybe on a populated area?

Because one upside of mining it on Mars was that, if the asteroid got 'too captured' by the planet's pull and fell down, unless is truck where the colony was it would have been safe. Maybe it would have been even more cheap to mine once it crashed on the surface...
I don't have the technical know how to say but if the people that do say it would devastate human civilization, I wouldn't want to test it.
But then again, getting it to Earth seems to not be in the cards for some...

I have to admit, the domestic stuff was super cute, but for Aleda's family (the Eagle News Interview stuff) and the Baldwin family. My called shot on the explosion was wrong though