Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 1970s there were plans for a confederation between the Ivory Coast and Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso)

Here are some possible flags I designed for this confederation.
Which one do you think is the best?

Untitled.png

In the 1970s there were plans for a confederation between the Ivory Coast and Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso)

I like the black-white-green tricolour and the orange-white-black tricolour most. They're simple and really look West African, I think.

I like the black-white-green tricolour and the orange-white-black tricolour most. They're simple and really look West African, I think.

Yep, what he said. Both the vertical and horizontal variants work pretty well. My personal favorite is the vertical orange-white-black though, because it gets rid of the "three Voltas" symbolisms which a horizontal tricolour might invoke, while also avoiding green which might be interpreted by some as being too favourable to the Islamic population (which, admitably makes up the majority, but...).

Last edited:

I like them all, but like Iserlohn I think the orange-white-black tricolour works really well. Those colours just go together very well. BTW, do you have a source for these plans? I'm getting interested in this.

That's actually a fairly nice flag, but perhaps it would be better to use the Breton ermine symbol rather than fleur-de-lis? After all, if this Brittany isn't part of France it would seem a bit odd for them to adapt French symbols they didn't use historically.

symbole-hermine.jpg

Krall

Banned

Why did you stretch the one in the lower left?

I'm not using ermine symbols like that would really work anyway as it's derived from Brittany's coat of arms, and in heraldry ermine is a pattern, not a charge, meaning that the symbols do not appear on their own but as part of a background/area of the shield (or, in this case, flag).

Why did you stretch the one in the lower left?

I'm not using ermine symbols like that would really work anyway as it's derived from Brittany's coat of arms, and in heraldry ermine is a pattern, not a charge, meaning that the symbols do not appear on their own but as part of a background/area of the shield (or, in this case, flag).

Single Ermine points are still used, especially in abstractions (such as flags) or marks of cadency. Also, a fur is distinct from a pattern / variation of the field.

Yep, what he said. Both the vertical and horizontal variants work pretty well. My personal favorite is the vertical orange-white-black though, because it gets rid of the "three Voltas" symbolisms which a horizontal tricolour might invoke, while also avoiding green which might be interpreted by some as being too favourable to the Islamic population (which, admitably makes up the majority, but...).

I like them all, but like Iserlohn I think the orange-white-black tricolour works really well. Those colours just go together very well. BTW, do you have a source for these plans? I'm getting interested in this.

Yeah, indeed. In the end, the orange-white-black one (according to me) is best.

Hmm

What about this style?
I've merged the red and the orange

WAU.png

Dorozhand

Banned
Flag of the State of Superior

In the 70's, there was a proposal going around to make the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, plus some of northern Wisconsin, a 51st state. That was the last time such a proposal got serious attention. Being from the area, I kind of like the idea of being economically independent from Lansing.

Anyway, here's a flag (and coat of arms) I designed for the State of Superior, had it passed.

Superior State Flag02.png

Green for the forests, white for the snow, and blue for the lakes.

The coat of arms consists of:

An anchor, for the seafaring tradition of the area, and its many iron ports.

Pine trees, for the boreal forest environment.

The symbol of Mars, which represents Iron (along with the red inside the circle of the symbol), since the area has been for a long time a center of iron mining (it's dropped off lately but in the 70s it was still going strong).

A fleur de lis, representing the history of the area as a French colony, and the culture of the voyageurs and fur trappers that still lingers in the people.

And a motto that is supposed to mean "Unconquered lands of the north wind, unconquered freshwater seas" If it doesn't mean that at all tell me :eek:

Superior State Flag02.png

Last edited:
In the 70's, there was a proposal going around to make the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, plus some of northern Wisconsin, a 51st state. That was the last time such a proposal got serious attention. Being from the area, I kind of like the idea of being economically independent from Lansing.

Anyway, here's a flag (and coat of arms) I designed for the State of Superior, had it passed.

The symbol of Mars, which represents Iron (along with the red inside the circle of the symbol), since the area has been for a long time a center of iron mining (it's dropped off lately but in the 70s it was still going strong).

A fleur de lis, representing the history of the area as a French colony, and the culture of the voyageurs and fur trappers that still lingers in the people.

And a motto that is supposed to mean "Unconquered lands of the north wind, unconquered freshwater seas" If it doesn't mean that at all tell me :eek:

Where do you live?

billydan225

Banned

View attachment 203182

thats interesting i dint know that

Status
Not open for further replies.