Flag Of A British Republic

No, Hanover still has Hannover, after all :p

So, a monarchy in exile?

I'd imagine thye'd pretend to the throne, at least for a while, but who's going to sponsor them? The reactionary coalition came together in 1792-3, it seems to me, because Austria sniffed a chance to get one over on France's power and everyone panicked when the French started to win: no coalition was forthcoming in 1830 or 1848, even though they would have actually had the capability to invade France; Britain not so much.

Might the Hanoverian claim atrophy like the English claim on France? Might it be abolished when Germany unites?

Or might they be abolished when Germany unites? I mean, the Goettingen professors might have some interesting things to say if Ernst is playing the same trick on them that got him booted out of Britain. One thing leads to another... depending on where British politics go in the new republic, 1848* has the potential to be a great deal of fun...

This is my old one.
A bit of blue a bit of green and a red stripe :D

NewBritishRepublic.jpg

The red, white, green tricolour is from the Victorian Era. The red represents England, the white Scotland and the green Ireland.

I can't really see the Union Jack being replaced, whether Britain becomes a republic, Scotland leaves or whatever else.