Fighting For Your Future: The Presidency of Walter Mondale

Another fun chapter! I’m not sure Jackson would have withdrawn, but doing so does buy him a lot of goodwill for the future so yeah I can see it.

Just a note, the Bradley Effect isn’t real.

Now of course in 1984 most still assume it to be real so no difference to Mondale’s calculations (since he considered Mayor Tom Bradley IOTL he’ll certainly consider him once he’s Governor) but for the people reading this thread who might not know it absolutely wasn’t real.

It Was Guns, Not Race, That Affected Bradley (Politco, by Joe Mathews)

Pro Politics interview by Zac McCrary with GOP pollster Lance Tarrance

TLDR/L: it was guns, absentee ballots (GOP did it, Dems didn’t), low black turnout, and as a bonus exit polls didn’t model for the absentee ballots so predicted Bradley winning–making Bradley’s loss seem even more shocking. Any one of the three problems changing would have probably resulted in Bradley winning and any two for certain.
Thanks so much for this ! I always took the standard narrative on the BE for granted. I will have to adjust my perspective to incorporate this information.

FINAL UPDATE - FOR NOW
Hi there,

I've have decided to discontinue this TL as it exists. I intend to instead move towards a new TL 'Mr Clinton Goes To War' that is both more exciting for me personally and more ambitious than this Mondale one.

The reason I want to stop this Mondale is quite a simple one - I don't like how this TL is shaping up and I intend to do a Redux, better than this. The reason I don't like it is this - I believe I have altered this timeline too much to set up a Mondale TL.

The TL is simply too different in its general condition of the 1980s as we knew it - I realise in trying to set up the conditions for Mondale to win too much, to the point where this 1980s has a whole different order that it's an entirely different 1980s to the one we know - to me, that isn't satisfying. We should get a clipse into how Mondale governed Reagan's America in 1985 - not a completely alternative, unknown 1980s with a whole different vibe.

Furthermore, with what we now know of Reagan's activities, there is more than enough to sink Ronnie without completely altering the 80s that was leading up to it.

This will, I hope, be revisitied some day in Fighting For Your Future (REDUX) but until then, I will be preparing Mr Clinton Goes To War.

understandable but man I was really looking forward to how Mondale’s term would go. I think you really came up with an interesting scenario here

Hi there,

I've have decided to discontinue this TL as it exists. I intend to instead move towards a new TL 'Mr Clinton Goes To War' that is both more exciting for me personally and more ambitious than this Mondale one.

The reason I want to stop this Mondale is quite a simple one - I don't like how this TL is shaping up and I intend to do a Redux, better than this. The reason I don't like it is this - I believe I have altered this timeline too much to set up a Mondale TL.

The TL is simply too different in its general condition of the 1980s as we knew it - I realise in trying to set up the conditions for Mondale to win too much, to the point where this 1980s has a whole different order that it's an entirely different 1980s to the one we know - to me, that isn't satisfying. We should get a clipse into how Mondale governed Reagan's America in 1985 - not a completely alternative, unknown 1980s with a whole different vibe.

Furthermore, with what we now know of Reagan's activities, there is more than enough to sink Ronnie without completely altering the 80s that was leading up to it.

This will, I hope, be revisitied some day in Fighting For Your Future (REDUX) but until then, I will be preparing Mr Clinton Goes To War.
No worries! We support your decisions and will be looking forward to seeing what you will do next!

A Bill Clinton that decides to enlist in the military (and fight in Vietnam) should be interesting indeed.
I think he means that Bill goes to war with North Korea in 1994.

Also I am very sad to hear this timeline is discontinued (even if it is for now) :'( But I respect your decision and will wait for your next project.

I think he means that Bill goes to war with North Korea in 1994.

Also I am very sad to hear this timeline is discontinued (even if it is for now) :'( But I respect your decision and will wait for your next project.
You're on the right track - it does involve Bill Clinton as Commander-in-Chief during a time of war.