Feel the Bearn - A Timeline of France's Only Carrier in WWII and Beyond

Only Churchill and elements of the British military know this.

For now.
It wasn't a Cover mission in the meddle of nowhere, it was in broad day light off the cost of the Levant. You can't hide such a military operation, people, the nations that matter, will know.

Chapter 1 - The Levant
June 3, 1945

"My sorrows are to the 38 brave sailors who perished in defense of our mighty Bearn, as well as their families. The nation of France was only protecting its own interests and nothing more. The British government ordered an attack on our warship, and we served merely to defend ourselves. And we will continue to defend ourselves. And to fight. Whether it is against the oppression of German, or the oppression of the British Empire, we will never surrender. To our friends, we ask that you stand by our side. To our enemies, the world will know that we are unbowed against you. Nothing great has ever been achieved without great men, and the nation of France is full of determined, great men."
- General Charles De Gaulle in an address to the French Provisional Government

publishable.jpg

Transcript of communication between Prime Minister Winston Churchill and General Bernard Paget, published in "Showdown 1945: The Levant Crisis" (2014) by Max Hastings
"Do what must be done, General Paget. Do not hesitate. Show no quarter. These men are no longer our allies."

"The people of the Soviet Union steadfastly condemn the actions of the Provisional Government of France. We implore that the peoples of Syria be allowed to choose their own destiny, one free from the yoke of rule." -
statement from Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov, USSR

220px-Vyacheslav_Molotov_Anefo2.jpg

"Be ready, men. Radar is reporting another incoming wave of British warplanes." - Bearn gunnery officer Jaucques Cousteau

Chapter 1 - The Levant
June 4, 1945 (1:03 AM EST)

British troops with the Ninth Army reach Damascus and come under fire by French forces attached to the Army of the Levant. The British lose over 300 soldiers. French losses are much heavier as they are attacked not only by the British, but by the Syrian soldiers who have defected and are fighting alongside nationalist forces. Within an hour over one thousand French soldiers are dead.

300px-Char-anglais-dans-les-rues-de-damas-syrie-en-1945.jpg

June 4, 1945 (2:05 AM EST)

The Bearn shuddered as a 500 lb bomb exploded about a dozen meters from the midships on the port side. The blast was forceful enough to shower the flight deck with spray, drenching gun crews who were putting up antiaircraft fire. Officer Cousteau paused, seawater dripping from his chin.

"Resume fire!", he bellowed.

Historical_Hurricane_ii_bomber.jpg

The attack went on for another twenty minutes and would be judged a success by the British. Two bombs scored hits on the French carrier. The first hit the elevator just aft of the two H-21 catapults, shattering it to pieces. The second hit aft, landing mere meters from the bomb that had hit in the first British strike. This time the damage was far more extensive. Bearn's engines were knocked out and the carrier began taking on water.

Smoke from the battle could be seen for miles. And it was clearly visible to the small fishing trawler that was observing in the distance.

June 4, 1945 (4:15 AM EST)

Transcript of conversation between Captain Philippe Auboyneau and General Charles De Gaulle, published in "Showdown 1945: The Levant Crisis" (2014) by Max Hastings

"General, we are dead in the water. Repair crews are estimating that it will be an hour before we can get underway again. We also are detecting a British surface group approaching from the north."

"Can you still launch aircraft?"

"Yes, at the moment that is all that we can do."

"We must not relinquish the initiative. Launch a counterstrike immediately. You know your target."

June 4, 1945 (5:33 AM EST)

A squadron of aircraft from the Bearn locates the advancing British destroyers Meteor and Lookout. Both ships put up tremendous anti-aircraft fire, but each destroyer is hit. The Lookout takes one bomb and has her steering crippled, leaving her endlessly turning in circles. The Meteor is less fortunate, taking two bombs and breaking in half.

June 4, 1945 (5:59 AM EST)

A second squadron of airplanes attacks advancing British forces in Damascus. A mixture of bombs and strafing kill over one hundred British troops, including General Bernard Paget.

Last edited:
What will be the british public's reaction when it comes out that the french were merely defending themselves from british attacks, I wonder?

Pangur

Donor
I rather like this thus far. I am also curious as to the reaction in France to British forces that are nearly bound to be there

Chapter 1 - The Levant
June 4, 1945 (6:15 AM EST)

French troops encircle the Allied base at Le Havre. The American and British soldiers are told that they are under quarantine, and while they are free to depart by sea they are not to be allowed into France.

June 4, 1945 (6:18 AM EST)

Transcript of communication between Prime Minister Winston Churchill and First Lord Brendan Bracken:

"Lord Bracken, I am instructing you to withdraw the following units from the Far East. They will be needed in the European theater."

June 4, 1945 (7:00 AM EST)

"I have learned, and it is to my utmost regret that General Bernard Paget has been killed early this afternoon by the forces of the government of General De Gaulle. He and 114 other brave soldiers were killed in a merciless attack by French fighters. I am deeply grieved by these loses, as I am sure that every citizen of the British Empire is as they hear of these cowardly strikes. Let me assure you that these attacks will not go unpunished. While we are ending a war of peoples, we now see one man who has conspired to resurrect the cause of chieftains, of dynasties, of national ambitions. His deeds will receive their recompense, and they begin immediately." - Winston Churchill, radio address on the BBC

churchill_broadcasting_speech.jpg

June 4, 1945 (7:15 AM EST)
A force of 48 Lancaster bombers flies over Paris and drops their payloads. While the target is Charles De Gaulle, over 2,000 French civilians are killed in the strike. General De Gaulle escapes the attack with minor injuries, but Maurice Theroz and several other French Provisional Government officials are killed. The leader of the French Communist Party has died, and Operation Recompense has begun.

290ca2a017a54393af17642f14791b7e--vieux-paris-vintage-paris.jpg

Last edited:
First Mars el Kebir, then Syria, now this English will be really unpopular in France.

More imoprtant a communist leader supporting Stalinism was killed by English, I'm curious to see Stalin's reaction.

I'm sorry but IMHO the British bombing Paris in 1945 is ASB territory. Both Politically and Militarily it is and always would be counter productive. I can think of few quicker ways for Great Britain to piss of all it's allies and to alienate the entire civilized world. It is a complete propaganda gift to De Gaul and Churchill is not that politically naive.

The Levant Crisis here seems to have spiraled in a way that wouldn't have happened; the conflict would have remained localized to the Levant or there would have been immense pressure for it to remain that way, with no serious risk of expansion outside it barring a few minor incidents between British and French servicemen. Much of this would come down to the United States wanting to focus all Allied efforts on Japan, and allowing a conflict to fester in any one place between its Allies, especially in those regions it considered vital like the Levant, would only complicate matters. While President Truman indeed did endorse the British intervention in Syria, I don't believe he would have endorsed the same action if substantially larger French assets were in play such as the Bearn, and in either case should the British have moved forward and found themselves unable to decisively push aside the French in a day or so, the United States would have applied pressure on both parties to cease fighting. I imagine the British would acquiesce, though not happily.

This still would not be a victory for De Gaulle however. The manner in which it had put down the protests in Syria had truly colored opinions around the globe even before the British intervention, and there would be pressure by many for the French to roll-back the mandate(s) in some form and allow for Syrian and Lebanese independence. British and American relations will have significantly soured, far more then they did historically, and it may mean De Gaulle is more obstinate on some other demands he tried to field with his prestige in France being reinforced rather than cut.