Feasibility question: German built SS2 with proximity triggered nerve gas warhead 1946

This assumes continued development of the A4/V2 into what the Soviets developed into the SS2 Sibling missile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-2_Sibling

It also assumes that the Germans managed to mate their early proximity fuses (developed 1945 and still testing when the Allies overran the plant) and developed nerve gas warheads (they had sarin in small qualities, tabun in much larger quantities)

this obviously (from the thread title) requires the Germans have more development time and resources

I am not having much finding online resources on this topic and local research library options are limited

Can the Germans do this, or is it ASB

Trying to do dispersal of a nerve gas agent from a ballistic missile is tough.

Why are you adding proximity fuzes?

What are you hoping to do?

Note that V2s had pretty short range, and by the time such a missile were developed they wouldn't be able to e.g. hit Britain.

marathag

Banned
You don't need proximity fuzes, you need something a bit more complex for a Mach three rocket coming in on a ballistic trajectory, and then find a way to properly disperse the chemicals at that speed

Trying to do dispersal of a nerve gas agent from a ballistic missile is tough.

Why are you adding proximity fuzes?

What are you hoping to do?

Note that V2s had pretty short range, and by the time such a missile were developed they wouldn't be able to e.g. hit Britain.

the SS2 was a 300 mile ranged version (German engineers captured by the Soviets working with Korolov)

bottom line, trying to see if the technology is potentially available for a German ballistic missile strike with a nerve gas warhead on Allied targets within the timeframe. This is from my timeline, which has little sustained Allied bombing of Germany as of that point

In OTL, this was possible early to mid 1950s using Allied and German research and development but wanting to check if any earlier fielding of this technology is available.

You don't need proximity fuzes, you need something a bit more complex for a Mach three rocket coming in on a ballistic trajectory, and then find a way to properly disperse the chemicals at that speed

A more simple possibility would be an altimeter fused initiation of the explosive that would be used to disperse the chemicals. Much easier to make and more rugged to withstand the flight. The main problem would be the small dispersal area for any chemical warhead.

A more simple possibility would be an altimeter fused initiation of the explosive that would be used to disperse the chemicals. Much easier to make and more rugged to withstand the flight. The main problem would be the small dispersal area for any chemical warhead.

I am considering that too. Truthfully I am the edge of my technical knowledge, hence the request for help or sources

The Germans were historically working on a nerve agent dispersal mechanism for V-2 warheads.

That the war ended before they could get one working says everything about the technical challenges. There just isn't enough time between the deployment of the V-2 and the Germans collapsing into Berlin to get it done.

The Germans were historically working on a nerve agent dispersal mechanism for V-2 warheads.

That the war ended before they could get one working says everything about the technical challenges. There just isn't enough time between the deployment of the V-2 and the Germans collapsing into Berlin to get it done.

interesting... you have source or link so I can read further?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Need a very dramatic sets of POD

New Bird.

New warhead type

New detonator type (that has to work better than transistorized system a decade later).

Someplace to stand to launch them.

Need a very dramatic sets of POD

New Bird.

New warhead type

New detonator type (that has to work better than transistorized system a decade later).

Someplace to stand to launch them.

the bird I think is doable, since the SS2 is a straight forward progression from the V2 (much as the Landong is derived from the Scud)

the warhead and detonator (particularly that) is stumping me

mobile launchers are within German capabilities I think

The POD is based on the Gorings Reich timeline

the Germans were experimenting and using submunitions (early cluster bombs) which were also used in 1950s era chemical warheads for the actual SS2 and Honest John type missiles.

If you want serious V2 improvements, there's the A8, to have been stretched and using storable fuels - probably nitric acid and kerosene. Postwar French studies based on the A8 hoped to get a 1-tonne warhead to 1500km, increasing to 1800km with a new (turbopump-driven) motor. Add to that the logical design improvements of the R-2 - structural tanks, separable warhead, an aft-mounted control unit, and radio-inertial guidance - and you've got an interesting missile.

CW warheads are difficult, but not an insoluble problem if the Reich is willing to put the effort in. I'm not convinced that the payoff would be worth the effort, though.