Fav small nation in history that had a chance for greatness but didnt

I've always enjoyed the idea of a mighty northern European low saxony state stretching from Memel to calais, like a super Prussia that spoke low saxon.
Give it jutland and silesia as well so it may be a giant fish of country.
I mostly like the idea that all German books and songs would be in a 'fflow ffilent ffaxon' instead of today's High German. Linguistics would be a lot more interesting. And So would European television.

Whew! Amen.
Why not. If Venice once was a Mediteranean superpower and France started of as a little island in the Seine that got ambitious. So I guess with the right portion of luck, Monaco could be as big and powerful as your average Italian contender state. Possibly as big and powerful as Catalonia or even the Netherlands.

Deleted member 67076

The United Provinces of Central America. One of the few Latin American states that did the whole 'peaceful transfer of power' thing correctly on the first try (after some... initial bumps on the road). Unfortunately when Conservative Presidential Candidate Jose Cecilio de Valle died on his way to San Salvador to be inaugurated, the Liberal party took the opportunity to declare their candidate, Francisco Morazan, the President, causing instability that led to the rise of caudillos, civil war, and the unions dissolution 5 years later.

Should the peaceful transfer of power between different political powers be set as a precedent, then we have the possibility of a regional power to be created in the region. Central America was doomed by its small population, chronic instabilities, and boom-bust economies due to exported oriented single item economies. If united, the region has a much stronger chance of avoiding all its flaws, and developing into a prosperous nation with regional power projection. Perhaps even expanding into Panama and the Caribbean.

Which reminds me, Cuba, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and the Philippines are all states with the potential to be much better than they are today, possibly being able to become serious regional powers in their own right.

I mostly like the idea that all German books and songs would be in a 'fflow ffilent ffaxon' instead of today's High German. Linguistics would be a lot more interesting. And So would European television.
All of them? Who's to say that Super Saxony continues to think of itself as Germans? What if "Germany" becomes a term for Swabia, Bavaria, and Austria? And Saxons think of themselves in a similar way the Dutch do today? Similar but different.

I've always wondered what would've happened if Genoa managed to dominate the Mediterranean/Ottoman trade, rather than Venice.

Ports can be inland. Estuaries, fjords, rivers, and canals exist. The Port of Albany, NY is 130 miles up the Hudson RIVER from NYC but has a larger harbor crane than any at the Port of NY-NJ. I believe Vienna and Budapest both have ports.
While that's nice information, Sneek never had a major harbor, expect one suited for the lake it is situated on, perhaps.

The United Provinces of Central America. One of the few Latin American states that did the whole 'peaceful transfer of power' thing correctly on the first try (after some... initial bumps on the road). Unfortunately when Conservative Presidential Candidate Jose Cecilio de Valle died on his way to San Salvador to be inaugurated, the Liberal party took the opportunity to declare their candidate, Francisco Morazan, the President, causing instability that led to the rise of caudillos, civil war, and the unions dissolution 5 years later.

Should the peaceful transfer of power between different political powers be set as a precedent, then we have the possibility of a regional power to be created in the region. Central America was doomed by its small population, chronic instabilities, and boom-bust economies due to exported oriented single item economies. If united, the region has a much stronger chance of avoiding all its flaws, and developing into a prosperous nation with regional power projection. Perhaps even expanding into Panama and the Caribbean.
Would like to know more of this. Any recomended readings?

Which reminds me, Cuba, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and the Philippines are all states with the potential to be much better than they are today, possibly being able to become serious regional powers in their own right.[/QUOTE]
I could see Cuba being much better now if the revolution had given way to a democracy (or if Batista had never made his second coup, to start). I also could see the Philippines being much better now also had it avoided Marcos presidency (Or if Magsaysay hadn't had his untimely death, to start). I don't have any ideas of any points in Dominican or Venezuelan history where these countries could have had a breakthough. Could you put here your views on this?

Sri Lanka because of its strong maritime history and its role in spreading religion and culture from India throughout the Indonesian archipelago. It would be cool to see it as an equivalent of Britain. It also had interesting migrations of people's analogous to the British Isles.

While that's nice information, Sneek never had a major harbor, expect one suited for the lake it is situated on, perhaps.
The following waterways connect Sneek with other cities.
The waterpoort still exists. And when the city was founded it was on the former middelzee.

The Middelzee (Dutch for "middle sea"; West Frisian: Middelsee), also called Bordine, was the estuary mouth of the River Boorn (West Frisian: Boarn) now in the Dutch province ofFriesland. It ran from as far south as Sneeknorthward to the Wadden Sea and marked the border between main Frisian regions ofWestergoa and Eastergoa. Other historical names for the Middelzee include Bordaa, Borndiep, Boerdiep, and Bordena.

Attachments

• Oldmapmiddelsee.jpg
    Oldmapmiddelsee.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 196
Pontus, quite obviously. If Roman records are to be believed, the state was capable of amassing huge and fairly capable armies, as well as fighting numerous wars against a superpower (and coming out the best out of one of them). However, the downfall of Mithridates was that he happened to be fighting the most effective military machine in history up to that point. Certainly, if given a nice easy route for expansion like Tigranes had (which was of course, the power vacuum of post-Seleucid Syria), Pontus could have done rather nicely.

What about early pagan Saxony?
Had Charlemagne died early, the franks could fall to civil war, and the saxons could take their time and unite into a single kingdom. Once the franks stabilize, they'll be in too weak a position to conquer the saxons, the latter of which manage to christianize and gain the complacency of the pope.

Deleted member 67076

Which reminds me, Cuba, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and the Philippines are all states with the potential to be much better than they are today, possibly being able to become serious regional powers in their own right.
Regarding Central America? I have nothing specific to offer unfortunately. Most of my knowledge is from Academic journals that I've searched on places like JSTOR. I'm actually looking for history books on Central American history.
I could see Cuba being much better now if the revolution had given way to a democracy (or if Batista had never made his second coup, to start). I also could see the Philippines being much better now also had it avoided Marcos presidency (Or if Magsaysay hadn't had his untimely death, to start). I don't have any ideas of any points in Dominican or Venezuelan history where these countries could have had a breakthough. Could you put here your views on this?
Cuba could easily be much better if the post revolutionary period began reforms in the 80s or 90s to lessen the burden of the Special Period, but Cuba was kinda doomed to being middle income since the 20s since its economy was nothing but sugar and tourism, both of which are subject to boom-bust cycles. There wasn't much industry or other major extractive industries like in the Dominican Republic, and that needs to be fixed in tandem with political issues.

As for Dominican history? Where do begin, the country is nothing but missed opportunities.

The best case scenario I think is if the Trinitarios weren't coup'd in 1844, leading to the establishment of a liberal democracy right off the bat. This means preventing decades of political instability, avoiding the re-annexation of Spain (and the destructive restoration war), the precedent for tyrannic governments, decentralization, and most of the money put into the country instead of being robbed by cronies/and or spent on the military. All of the above would lead to population growth, vast immigration who bring in much needed capital and technologies and steady, continual economic growth. By 1900, we could have a place that has a population of say, 3 million instead of 800,000 and a diverse economy firmly seated in the Upper income countries of Latin America. The country would also have superior infrastructure and living standards compared to most of its neighbors in the region. By the modern day, you get something that's at worst Eastern Europe living standards and at best First World.

For the Philippines I was mostly thinking avoiding Marcos (or obtaining independence as early as possible in the 1800s and therefore the ability to obtain more foreign investment easily) and going the same East Asian export economy routes that Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Singapore went on. Not well versed enough to offer any specifics.

As for Venezuela, literally just have it diversify its economy. That's it. Venezuela was constantly crippled by its boom and bust cycles.

Singapore is already a regional power, but what if the British hadn't dissolved the Straits Settlements, and what if, instead of only Singapore doing it, the entirety of the former colony (Singapore, Malacca, Dinding, Penang, Christmas Island, the Cocos Islands and Labuan) had declared its independence from Malaysia, or had been elevated to the status of Commonwealth realm like in As One Star Sets, Another Rises? All the constituent parts of the colony were either multiethnic or had a Chinese majority/plurality, after all, instead of being solidly Malay.

The result would've been a Singapore multiplied by four and with access to a sizeable amount of oil and gas. A Commonwealth/Republic of the Straits could've become obscenely rich and powerful. If Sarawak had maintained its sovereignty and North Borneo had become a sovereign state under the ruling dynasty of the Sultanate of Sulu, they'd probably be better off than the current Malaysian provinces, too - they wouldn't be as rich as the aforementioned wanked Singapore, but they could've been able to pull a South Korea and enter the First World in a matter of only a few decades.

Today, Brunei, Sabah, Sarawak and the Straits would be the South East Asian (and much nicer) version of the states of the Persian Gulf.

Last edited:
Small nation? I've always been partial to The Most Serene Republic of Venice as a small nation that could have done well for itself.

If they had focused less on fighting Ruinous wars with the Ottomans and more on Italy, it's entirely possible that they could have been a major player.

Well, I remember that somebody made a pretty damn good Victoria 2 AAR on it, but I don't know any books on the subject specifcially.

And, so that I'm at least somewhat contributing to the main topic here: I always thought that Theodoro could have done better if it had been luckier and gotten some good alliances.

It has been mentioned before but I think Ireland had a reasonably good chance of greater wealth and power. Geographically she is rather well located after the discovery of North America. It would probably need a greater degree of disunity in 'England' and a greater degree of unity within Ireland of course.