Ex Luna, Scientia

That's the biggest problem with the F-1. Scalability. The H-1 gives you a lot more scalability, but I'm not sure there's much room for modernization of that by the 1970s. Still, I think it would be neat if we had a nice US-native oxygen-rich staged-combustion H-1 derivative available. That frees up all those ex-Soviet aerospace engineers in the '90s to work in China, North Korea and Iraq. Gerald Bull's gonna have a lot of company...

I've played off and on, accent on play, with a kerolox Titan IIIL derivative. 192 inch core, something like four or six H-1c engines. If I can find the notes I could post it for the humor value. Called it the Titan IV, but that's kind of confusing.

I now ask for some...well confirmation...on getting a Russian to the moon without a heavy lifter.

What I have at the moment is Earth-orbital assembly using, mostly, Proton. Resurrect the Soyuz 9K booster project, loft a couple of them up on Protons, then dock them to the LOK/LK. At a pinch the LK can make its own way to the moon; it weighs about the same as some of the later Luna series orbiters, so I figure it can be placed in orbit to wait for the LOK if needed. It might take three to five launches to put the complex up, but they've got the capability to do it. Expensive, yes, but they could do it if there was a reason. Right now I have a mission profile that looks like this:

Launch 1: Soyuz 9K – Alpha
Launch 2: Soyuz 9K – Bravo
Alpha and Bravo dock under control from the ground.
Launch 3: LK
Launch 4: LOK
LOK docks with LK, LOK/LK docks with Soyuz 9K complex.
First 9K gets the complex to the moon, second 9K breaks into orbit and returns the whole complex. LK lands on the moon as in original profile.

Profile is based on the Soyuz A-B-V designs Korolev came up with in '62; I've been pouring through Harvey's 'Soviet and Russian Lunar Exploration' for ages. (pages 47-52 have the relevant notes). I can't see any reason why it couldn't have worked, and it doesn't even need that much in the way of new hardware. Automated docking they had, so it's just the Soyuz 9K that needs developing.

So what I really ask is this: is the USSR getting to the moon enough to convince the US not to abandon the moon? And does that mission profile sound plausible enough?

That's the biggest problem with the F-1. Scalability. The H-1 gives you a lot more scalability, but I'm not sure there's much room for modernization of that by the 1970s. Still, I think it would be neat if we had a nice US-native oxygen-rich staged-combustion H-1 derivative available. That frees up all those ex-Soviet aerospace engineers in the '90s to work in China, North Korea and Iraq. Gerald Bull's gonna have a lot of company...

therefore was the F-1A thrust adjustable, thank to new valve in fuel line

I now ask for some...well confirmation...on getting a Russian to the moon without a heavy lifter.
So what I really ask is this: is the USSR getting to the moon enough to convince the US not to abandon the moon? And does that mission profile sound plausible enough?

if Soviet cosmonaut put there feed on moon, the USA will push a lunar base or try mars or venus manned fly-by to top the USSR

I've played off and on, accent on play, with a kerolox Titan IIIL derivative. 192 inch core, something like four or six H-1c engines. If I can find the notes I could post it for the humor value. Called it the Titan IV, but that's kind of confusing.
Im not sure what you mean by scalability. If you mean being able to bump the thrust up by 20% by going from 5 to 6 engines, i think thats pretty much a non issue. Firstly payloads to orbit are rarely calculated so finely. Look at the ariane 5, scaled for a spaceplane that never happened, so has to launch 2 satellites at once.

Secondly, its not that hard to turn an f1 into an f1a or an f1b and get 20% more thrust, or add boosters or fiddle with upper stages.

The one huge advantage of smaller engines, imo, is redundancy. If you can handle an engine out, that gives you a lot more flexibility. But that is really only of importance in manrated craft....

Even SpaceX who is making a big deal of their fault tolerance have only one engine on the second stage.

I'm definitely enjoying this TL. With both the Soviet and American space programs avoiding the disaster of investing in space shuttles, and a potentially-renewed Space Race, we could see some very interesting things in this TL...

I'll be interested to see how the Soviets have put together their moon program without the superheavy lift capacity of the N1.

katchen

Banned
Katchen

The 1968 Election was a very close election, Methuselah. Has anyone else done a timeline about the space program in which Hubert Humphrey won the 1968 Election? Or Bobby Kennedy took a different turn at the Ambassador Hotel and won the 1968 Election? If not, maybe one of those would make a good butterfly.

Well...I've fallen well behind in this TL, as 'Real Life' managed to wield its head, I fear...but this isn't one of those 'false alarm' posts. I intended to make some revisions to the timeline based on the suggestions I had received; I had written well ahead of where I had posted, and was editing as I went, but haven't had any time to proceed any further. So...I decided to conclude the timeline based on what I had already written...with the intention of coming back for another draft at some point.

So here goes, a big batch of updates to get the timeline finished...

“Welcome to the Moon, my friends!”

Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov to the crew of Apollo 20, December 2nd, 1974

The genesis of the successful Soviet landing on the moon had come with a careful analysis of what they could do, instead of relying on equipment that might prove too expensive to develop. The first step was to switch to a dual-launch mode, rather than launching the lunar ship on a single rocket as the Americans had done; the LK and booster required to get the complex too and from the moon would launch on a Proton, and ten days later, from a different pad, the LOK would launch using a standard R-7 rocket. If the LK failed, then the LOK would not launched, but instead would be saved for another attempt. Certainly, this had some technical difficulties to overcome, and this took 1970-73; the money used came from the cancellation of the N1. This would simply match the Americans, however – not even that, as under these plans, only one cosmonaut would land on the moon, and then only for a matter of hours. The genius was to determine a method of keeping that cosmonaut on the Moon for longer – and that came from the Luna probes. The goal – attained by 1973 – was to be able to land packages on the moon in close proximity to each other. The idea came from, ironically, an old NASA study and a consequent film – three probes would be landed on the moon close to each other. One would be a shelter capable of accommodating a cosmonaut for up to a month, the other would carry the remainder of the supplies he would need. The LOK could not remain in orbit for that long; so as soon as it was clear that the cosmonaut was safe, that his shelter was working and his supplies intact, it would return to Earth. There was a margin of a few days, and in that time the cosmonaut on the surface could return whenever he wished.

After three weeks, a second LOK would be a launched for the LK on the surface to rendezvous with – on stand-by in the event this failed was a fourth probe to act as an emergency supply package. There were obvious risks with this mission profile, but they were managed to the greatest possible extent, and all the cosmonauts informed of the mission volunteered to go. Alexei Leonov – who had been training for this landing on and off for more than eight years – was selected to make the actual landing, with the first LOK to be crewed by Valeri Kubasov, the second by Yuri Artukhin. Officially, this was planned as the first of a series of Soviet lunar landings, but it was quietly acknowledged by all concerned that this was a one-off; a spectacular mission designed to ram home Soviet space superiority to the world before they settled back to concentrate on the Salyut programme. The three Luna probes launched in September and October, and already there was a complication; the second supply package was outside the optimum range of Leonov on the ground, half a mile too far from the beacon on the first package. Being on the moon while Apollo 20 was on the ground – and still being there after it had left – was too big an opportunity to pass up, and it was reasoned that if there was a problem, Leonov could simply link up again with the first LOK.

The launch of the LK was similarly tense, some initial problems with the Proton final stage, but it ended up in the correct orbit, and Leonov and Kubasov launched on November 2nd, docking with the LK eighteen hours later. Two hours of checks, and then they became the first non-Americans to leave Earth orbit, on a three-day trajectory to take them around the moon. Characteristically, the Soviets had kept the launch secret – the supply probes were simply 'part of the Luna series', the LK was 'Cosmos 678'. Only when 'Soyuz 18' left Earth orbit was the official announcement made that Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov would shortly land on the moon, and the expected pandemonium erupted across Earth – still more so when it was announced that he was to remain on the Moon, if all went well, for thirty days.

Chaos erupted in Washington. President Ford was in only his fourth month of office, and the 1974 mid-term elections were under way; on any calculation, this mission had been well-timed. Suddenly questions began to be asked relating to national space policy again, and the mood changed at NASA overnight. Publicly they professed disappointment that once again the Soviet Union appeared to have leapt ahead in the arena of space exploration, privately most concluded that it was likely a one-off stunt – though admiring the logistics involved, a five-launch landing was not really sustainable – and that this might finally be an opportunity to get NASA moving once again, the shot in the arm the agency needed.

Calling out, “For Korolev and Gagarin!” as he took his first steps on the moon, Leonov began to assemble his 'moon camp'. He had spent many long hours studying the footage of the Apollo moonwalks, watching how to walk and move on the moon, and with only a few narrow escapes he was able to collect the material from his two supply dumps, bringing it back to the shelter by the end of the second day, upon which Kubasov, orbiting overhead, said his farewells and commenced his return to Earth, landing on November 12th. Leonov was alone as no man had ever been, but he was expecting visitors soon. Apollo 20 listed off on November 30th on schedule; there had been some brief debate on whether to land near enough to Leonov to pay an impromptu visit, but the dark side beckoned, and Walter Cunningham landed his lunar module precisely on target. He and LMP Joe Allen did have several conversations with their Soviet counterpart, as did CMP Jack Lousma – by that point Leonov appeared to be growing rather weary of his temporary exile on the Moon, having run out of experiments in his second week; he could not even leave his shelter, as he had to conserve his suit air for the possible recovery of a supply capsule, it it were needed.

As Apollo 20 left the moon for its return to Earth, Soyuz 19 arrived in orbit, and a grateful Leonov left the moon on his LK, making one final spacewalk with his samples – only a few dozen pounds of lunar material, insignificant when compared to that collected by Apollo, and then said goodbye to his faithful lander for the last time, watching it slowly drift away; there as no point in bringing it back even to Earth orbit. Soyuz 19 fired its engine to return to Earth, and Alexei Leonov landed to a hero's welcome on December 10th, 1974; he was promoted to Major-General shortly after landing, and spent the next two years touring the world – notably meeting the Apollo 20 crew face-to-face in Paris in March 1975 for a weekend of shared reminisces.

“At a stroke, it almost seemed as if NASA was back to square one. We'd been there before a few times in the Sixties, and it always seemed to bring out the best in us then, too.”

Gene Kranz, Director of NASA Mission Operations, Oral History Project interview, 2001

NASA was in turmoil. There had been a few warning signs that the Russians might be planning to attempt something like this in the run-up; the CIA had issued warnings that a big space effort was under way behind the scenes, and key observers had noted that some of their projects – specifically the precision-targeted Luna probes – might be used for something such as this. At the highest level, no-one had really believed that this would be attempted, certainly not after the cancellation of the N1, which had filtered through to Houston by 1971. What made matters worse was when Lunokhod 3 was launched in February, with an official announcement that an element of its mission was sample collection, “to be retrieved by a cosmonaut upon completion of its mission.” Evidently the Soviet space program planned a return to the moon. Furthermore, photographs of Baikonour taken from <censored> indicated that the N1 pads were being stripped down, and the name 'UR-700' was being mentioned – some sort of 'super-Proton'. Evidently the Soviet Union was back in the space business with a vengeance, just as the United States was getting out.

Now, everything changed. Stafford's working group was given a new mandate – plan NASA's comeback, do it quickly, and don't mess it up like the Space Task Group did. Stafford and his deputy, George Abbey, took as their starting point what the Soviets appeared to be doing – missions to the Moon, and space stations. Without the Saturn V, getting back to the Moon would be a difficult task, beyond NASA's exacting measures for safety; an evaluation of Leonov's month-long stay suggested that the risk was far higher than anything that would normally be found acceptable, and the returns too limited. As for the space station, simply moving ahead with Skylab was now out of the question – with no Saturn V, there was no way to launch it, and the 'wet workshop' which was the best that a Saturn IB could do had been ruled out as impractical back in 1969. The working group ended up with a trio of targets for NASA. A 'return to flight' by 1980, the first space station in orbit by 1982, and a return to the moon by 1988. The latter two were presented as options for President Ford; a cynic suggested that this at least gave him a chance of welcoming a few more astronauts home. He immediately signed off on the first option – NASA now had the go-ahead to build its 'house in space', albeit a decade later than originally planned. As for the lunar option, he authorised some studies, but elected to wait and see whether the Soviets persisted. Keeping America in the Space Age was one thing, but committing to an extended lunar exploration programme quite another.

Passing this report to the President was the last act for George Low as Administrator. No-one blamed him for what had happened at NASA; indeed, it was universally acknowledged that he did the best job that could possibly have been done given the tightened financial circumstances, but with a new series of programmes pending, he felt a new man should have the job to see it through. He'd been planning to retire anyway in 1976, the drawdown at the agency having worn him out, and told President Ford that he would be leaving the agency in March. He recommended his successor personally – a man who had shepherded Apollo to the Moon for six years, and was about to retire from the Air Force – General Samuel Phillips. Rocco Petrone, then the director of Marshall Space Centre, was named as Deputy Administrator, both with a mandate to get America back into space. George Low retired on schedule; a year later, NASA renamed its rocket testing facility the George Low Space Centre in his honour.

Administrator Phillips issued quick 60-day contracts to the major contractors, asking firstly for a new capsule, with an aggressive launch target of 1979; it was made clear that an Apollo Block III concept would be favourably listened to, but the requirement that the capsule had to be launched from a man-rated Titan III-E (much work along these lines having been accomplished for MOL; funding was rapidly granted to finish the job, and in the event the booster would be ready in plenty of time) proved extremely daunting. He also indicated that any feasible suggestions would be considered, and that the order would be substantial – certainly at least at the same scale as Apollo. The space station would come next; Apollo Applications was simply redesignated as Space Station Operations, and tasked with producing a design, again within 60 days – he knew full-well that they had unofficially been working on such projects for years, and that it was largely a question of pulling them together. Finally, he recognised that long-term, NASA was going to need a new heavy-lift booster; here he was on very familiar ground, being intimately aware of Air Force plans in this direction. He was willing to take a bit longer on this one, but was determined that there would be more than one customer for this new rocket.

Another direction was to Deke Slayton, now back at his desk at Flight Crew Operations – find some more astronauts. It was strongly hinted that this time, they could not be all white males; some sort of diversity was required, if only to encourage some new sources of support for the programme. Speed was another key factor; he wanted to move quickly, to take advantage of what might prove a brief groundswell of support and reinforce it – for this reason, rather than another recruitment campaign, Slayton opted to reach inside NASA itself. He had nine pilot-astronauts and eleven scientist-astronauts at this point, and with a new capsule program, pilots were going to be key to development, preferably from the earliest possible stage. His first call was to Al Crews; he'd signed up with the agency five years ago on the off chance that 'something might come up'. It had; Al Crews was the first one offered a position. He'd already been selected by the Air Force as an astronaut, and Slayton trusted that judgement.

For the rest of the group, he again reached inside NASA; more than a dozen test pilots had been working on lifting-body projects over the last four or five years. After reviewing their dossiers and having a word with their managers, he phoned eleven of them and offered them the chance to join the new intake of astronauts; eight of them said yes, though it took a little work to free some of them from their services. This had the happy side effect of selecting the first African-American astronaut, in the form of Frederick Gregory, who had started working on the lifting-body project mere months previously. Another, Bill Dana, was technically already a flown astronaut – he had flown the X-15 over fifty miles in 1967, but had never received his wings; this was hurriedly amended before the new group was announced publicly.

The word had gone around NASA fairly quickly that Slayton was picking astronauts, and people were beginning to send in their applications; he elected to select a few new scientist-astronauts to balance out the pool, and moreover to fill the mandate of selecting female astronauts. He ended up with two – Jeanne Crews (no relation), who had worked on trajectory analysis for Apollo, and incidentally was one of the first women to experience zero-gravity, and the photogenic Francis Northcutt, who had worked in Mission Control during the Apollo missions. Both of them had engineering qualifications; it seemed logical enough to Slayton that engineers would be needed for space station development. The other two had both narrowly failed selection in Group VI, but had both ended up working for NASA in any case – their persistence won them the golden ticket.

Group VII, the 'Lucky Thirteen', were introduced to the press on March 2nd, 1975, as the 'men and women to take America back to the Moon'. The group consisted of pilot-astronauts Al Crews, Bill Dana, Einar Enevoldson, Frederick Gregory, Peter Hoag, John Manke, Thomas McMutry, Bruce Peterson, Francis Scobee and scientist-astronauts Donald A. Beattie, Jeanne Crews, R. Thomas Giuli, Francis Northcutt. The scientist-astronauts went to undergo the usual flight training; all of them passed the course of instruction by January 1976. Morale raced up – suddenly NASA seemed to be on the move again.

Top Five Science-Fiction Shows of 1977

1: Star Trek: New Voyages (1976-Current)

The news that the second outing of Star Trek (third if you count the Animated series, but who does) was picked up by NBC for a second season was probably one of the best bits of news for science fiction fans this year. Despite fears that the lightning might not strike twice, it cannot be denied that the creative team of John Meredith Lucas and David Gerrold (bumped up to co-producer for the second season) has come up with a show that seems destined to last. The shock decision to kill off Spock in the series pilot, reportedly at the insistence of Leonard Nimoy, guaranteed record ratings – his replacement at the science station by Sarek, portrayed as before by Mark Lenard, has proven popular with fans. Fan speculation that Shatner's Kirk was to be killed off as the first-season cliffhanger, 'Kitumba, Part I', to be replaced as Captain by Dirk Benedict's Commander Decker, proved to be false, though we are told that Kirk's role has been substantially reduced in the coming season.

2: Six Million Dollar Man

The series revamp that took place in 1975 – as former lifting-body pilot Steve Austin was hired as one of NASA's new astronauts – certainly took the viewing public by surprise, but the conversion of the show into more conventional science-fiction seems to have worked, though there is no doubt that this show is beginning to run out of steam. It's place in our fan poll suggests that it still remains popular, however, and ABC has green-lit the series for its 1977-78 line-up, though this is probably the final season. Rumours circulating around the plans for this coming season suggest that Steve Austin will likely walk on the moon, probably once again fighting the Soviets in some daring bid to protect the freedom of America. Lindsay Wagner will not reportedly be returning as Jamie Austin in this new season; it is suggested that a spin-off series might be in the planning stages.

3: Space: 1999

Looking back, the timing of the release of this series couldn't have been better. It was doing the rounds of the networks while Comrade Leonov was walking on the moon, and CBS grabbed it as soon as they found out that Paramount was bringing back Star Trek. While unusual for a series that has its largest audience in the States to be made in England, there is no doubt that it seems to work; the third season opened to the usual steady audience figures – the addition of Martin Sheen as 'Security Chief Anthony Verdeschi' in season two adding a much needed dynamism to the show, answering the critics who called it too staid. There seems no reason why it should not continue to a fourth or fifth season as things stand, though there are some rumours in the fanbase that Martin Landau is thinking of calling it a day at the end of the current season, with speculation already brewing as to who might replace him as Commander of Moon Base One.

4: I Dream of Jeannie

The return of this series as a surprise hit in the 1975-76 schedule, both Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden reprising their roles, led to a short-lived surge of science-fiction-based sitcoms, none of which managed to survive; nevertheless, this continues on the air, albeit rapidly devolving into a formulaic series of plots. The comedic 'espionage' plots against the laughable Colonel Vasnodik, portrayed with gusto by Roger C. Carmel, have definitely proved the greatest hits, and he is to join the cast as a series regular for the coming season, though how he is going to he shoe-horned into the plots on a permanent basis is something of a mystery. This series remains notable primarily for its unparalleled access to NASA facilities and equipment – at times it seems to be little more than a promotional video for the Johnson Space Centre.

5: The Questor Tapes

Roddenberry's conspiracy-based show, featuring Leonard Nimoy as the eponymous character, is returning for a third season after a one-year production gap; his involvement in the series is being scaled back, moving to Executive Producer in a move mirroring that of Star Trek; Nimoy has also been named as Executive Producer in this season, and is rumoured to have a lot more influence in the show. Mike Farrell continues to bring a much-needed humanity to the series, and the addition of Darren McGavin as the investigator tracking the pair across the country made it a winning formula by the end of the first season. (Yeah, he's playing Kolchak, but we don't get to call him that.) Under new producer Robert Justman, brought in to the show at the insistence of Roddenberry to handle 'day-to-day' work, this series is once again in a safe pair of hands. D.C. Fontana is being replaced as script editor by Herbert Wright for this run.

“We all had the word – the fix was in. Rockwell was going to start churning out the Apollo capsules again, and the General had just about signed off on it. But then Mr. Mac said that, 'suppose it doesn't happen that way?' A lot of rummaging through old files, and the twins were born.”

Unnamed Engineer, Project Castor, interviewed 1991

Naturally enough, Rockwell (latterly North American) went into the 60-day study as the hot favourite to provide NASA's new capsule design; Administrator Phillips had as good as asked for a Block III Apollo, and the management team was known to be favourable. Boeing made a perfunctory attempt, as did Grumman, but both of them seemed more to be putting down a marker for future work as anything else. The specifications almost seemed to have been written with Apollo in mind – a capsule capable of carrying three men, able to remain on station in orbit for ninety days, with the only significant modification a requirement for land landings; one of the big expenses had always been mobilising the US Navy to retrieve capsules from the water, and the ability to pick them up by helicopter and truck would be a huge advantage. At the end of the study, Rockwell presented its specifications to NASA, and expected to begin work shortly on the new generation of Apollo capsules.

One man was determined, however, that this would not necessarily be so. Jim McDonnell – 'Mr. Mac' to the astronauts – had been involved in the space programme since the outset, providing the Mercury and Gemini capsules, and he saw what the Rockwell engineers, and perhaps NASA, did not. That for Earth-orbital operations, you didn't need Apollo's complexity. You simply needed a workhorse to get you there and back. For 'Back to the Moon', yes, Apollo would be required, but it seemed a waste to have all of that capability simply for Earth-orbital operations. His engineers pulled out a collection of old studies from the MOL days and before relating to adaptation of the faithful Gemini, and came up with a pair of designs that more than suited the specifications. The first version, the 'Castor', was a crew transporter, capable of carrying four astronauts on a Titan IIIE, as well as some cargo, and remaining in station for the required ninety days. The second, the 'Pollux', was a two-man cargo variant able to deliver ten thousand kilograms of cargo. Both of them were able to come down on the land using a combination of steerable parachutes and rockets to cushion the blow of landing. Both of them were also significantly cheaper than the Block III Apollo.

When he launched the study, Phillips genuinely expected that he would end up with a modified Apollo at the end of it being produced by Rockwell; provisional mission outlines from the period even read 'Apollo 21' and 'Apollo 22'. The Gemini proposal caught him by surprise; when it attracted support from outside, with several of his Air Force peers recommending it to them based on the MOL work, it caught him even more so. Mindful that despite the current mood opening up the purse strings again, that this might not last, he opted for a conservative strategy that would at least get the US back into space, and McDonnell-Douglas received the contract to produce the 'Castor' and 'Pollux' capsules. He never intended this to be permanent; another contract was issued to Rockwell to redesign the Block III Apollo with a focus exclusively on lunar exploration, though at this stage, it was simply a design study. A series of astronauts were sent to McDonnell to start working on the project – John Young was to be head of the 'Castor' office, with Al Bean heading up 'Pollux'; under the current plan, there would be at least one launch of each in 1979, followed by a series of test flights.

In the meantime, the space station study was underway. The obvious first step was to make full use of the two remaining Saturn IB launchers; Skylab was out of the question, the wet workshop ruled out, but the principles of orbital docking were sure enough that an analogous station could be lifted in two separate modules, to be linked together by an astronaut crew. Each module would its own docking array, to allow two vehicles to be docked at the station at the same time, considered essential for the ultimate goal of permanent occupancy. There would even be an option to add more modules at a later date, either by Titan IIIM or by the new heavy-lift booster then coming onto the drawing boards. The station would house a crew of 4, with intended three-month tours, and would be launched in 1982 if it stayed to schedule. The first module launched would be Habitation, the second Scientific, at three-month intervals. The plan was signed off on by Administrator Phillips, and the contract to build the station went to Rockwell; many thought that it was something of a consolation prize for losing out on the capsule. Walter Cunningham ended up heading the astronaut representatives for the revived Skylab.

As 1975 continued, the Soviets continued their launches. Salyut 4 was launched in February, and housed three crews over the course of the year; this was the final swansong for the civilian Salyut programme, and henceforth the stations used would all be of the Almaz design, though military exclusivity was also fading away. As was inevitable from the beginning, the two wings of the space station programme were merging into one – around the time of the second Soyuz, it was announced that within a few years, foreign nationals were to be allowed to visit Soviet space stations. Invitations were offered to Warsaw Pact members and other allied states, and controversially, also to the French Space Agency (CNES). America could not hope to match this for some time, though some informal discussions did take place in the latter half of the decade. Then, in December, Valeri Bykovsky became the second Russian to walk on the moon, landing within half a mile of Lunokhod 3 and collecting the samples it had gathered from its lunar traverse, as well as a few samples of the vehicle itself for later study – he only remained on the surface for eight hours, returning to his original LOK where Nikolai Rukhavisnikov was waiting in orbit. Ford was still refraining from ordering a new US lunar programme considering – with some justification – that the Soviet effort was simply a stunt, and not one that the United States necessarily needed to respond to. His administration was still mired in the aftermath of Watergate, and then the fall of Vietnam – space had to take a back seat. The country, however, thought differently.

“The legacy of John F. Kennedy has been comprehensibly betrayed. He gave the United States a new frontier in the stars, and a collection of short-sighted men stole it away. No American is currently in space. No one is planning to return on the Moon. Meanwhile the Soviets have three men orbiting above our heads, and another returning from the Sea of Crises. That seems somehow appropriate.”
Governor Jimmy Carter, stump speech in Iowa, July 1976

By the middle of 1976, it was quite clear that the United States was going to have a new President in 1977. Gerald Ford had entered the race for the Republican nomination, but with his popularity levels plummeting California Governor Ronald Reagan appeared to have the race sown up. He was facing some pretty serious challenges, however; the Republicans were reeling from the multiple blows of the previous eight years – particularly the last term, when it seemed that everything Nixon and Ford had done had gone wrong. Adding to their woes was that Ford detested Reagan, and determined to do nothing whatsoever to assist him – indeed, depending on the candidate, it was more likely that he would support the Democrat behind the scenes. He pulled out of the contest in June, and despite a perfunctory challenge from Nelson Rockefeller, Reagan essentially walked to the nomination. After carefully pondering a short list including Donald Rumsfeld and George Bush, he went with his first instincts and selected Richard Schweiker as his running mate, in order to try and foster a badly-needed sense of party unity.

There was a feeling in the Democratic camp that the election was as good as theirs, even after Ford lost the nomination. The Republicans appeared weak and divided; they could point to a host of scandals, the betrayal of Kennedy's legacy in space, the failure in Vietnam. A lot of candidates were interested in the race as it stood; the surprise front-runner was Jimmy Carter, after coming second in the Iowa caucus he and his team managed to knock out one candidate after another in the primaries, and despite a last-minute surge behind Governor Jerry Brown, he was able to secure sufficient delegates to guarantee that he would be the nominee come the convention. The bigger problem was beating Reagan – he was one of the few that did not believe that simply spending a campaign cataloguing Republican follies would be sufficient to win. An early pledge – designed to forestall any moves from Reagan while his campaign was busy scrapping with Ford – was to 'restore America's foremost place in space, and return Americans to the Moon'. Based on that, there was only one real choice he could make as his running mate – Senator John Glenn.

The race would prove extremely close. Reagan was a highly polished performer, but he was always running the race with the weight of Watergate on his back. He found it difficult to present himself as a 'new choice for America' with a Republican in the White House – one who steadfastly refused to give anything other than perfunctory support to the candidate of his own party. Carter presented himself as the reform candidate, a figure untainted by the scandals of recent years. John Glenn toured the country pushing the ticket, electrifying audiences across America, and decisively defeating Schweiker in the vice-presidential debate. The vote was one of the closest in history...but on November 3rd, Jimmy Carter was President-elect of the United States; David had beaten Goliath. Notably, President Ford was one of the first to offer his congratulations; it would later be commented on as one of the smoothest transitions of administrations in American history.

Throughout 1976, NASA had been methodically working towards the launch of its new generation of capsules. After a prolonged write-in campaign, Skylab was once again dead; the space station would now be named 'Enterprise', in honour of the science-fiction show that was once again being broadcast by NBC. Mission plans were being firmed up; five of each capsule would be used on test flights, with two unmanned and three manned flights each. Competition for these missions was fierce – the first time new astronaut crews had been selected for five years. The first two flights of each capsule would be pure test flights; the Pollux, of course, had a substantial cargo capacity that might as well be utilised, so a series of experiments were planned to make use of these missions. The final crew selections were as follows:

Pollux 3: Al Bean, Bill Dana
Pollux 4: Jerry Carr, Donald Holmquest
Pollux 5: Jack Lousma, Robert Parker

Castor 3: John Young, Peter Hoag
Castor 4: Ken Mattingly, Frederick Gregory
Castor 5: Paul Weitz, John Manke, Francis Northcutt, Joe Kerwin

The Pollux and Castor flights would alternate, one every two months starting in March 1979, the first manned flight in November. After the launch of Castor 5 in September 1980, there would be a gap of a year at least before the first of the two Enterprise modules was ready for launch; three 'Applications' missions were scheduled to fill in the gap using Pollux modules; the backup crews for the first three manned Pollux flights would undertake these missions. The first would focus on engineering tests, the second on astronomical research using a telescope designed to fit in the Pollux payload bay. Depending on progress with Enterprise in 1979/80, more of these missions might be authorised – but they would be halted as soon as the space station entered orbit, with NASA focusing its attentions on station operations for the first half of the decade at least.

The crews for the Pollux Applications Missions would therefore be as follows:

Pollux 6: Bruce McCandless, Owen Garriott
Pollux 7: Al Bean, Donald Beattie
Pollux 8: Bill Dana, Karl Heinze

As crewing requirements grew again, it was becoming apparent that NASA was going to need more astronauts, but Deke Slayton strongly resisted and plans to hire new ones until men were flying into space again. He had enough for the first few years of flight, and did not want to have too large an Astronaut Office again; privately he intended to expand to twenty-five pilot-astronauts and twenty-five scientist-astronauts with a new selection around 1980 – by then some of the 'Old Guard' would likely be thinking about moving on in any case. He was considering another mission himself, but there was considerable opposition in NASA after AAP 4; nevertheless he continued to keep himself proficient in the simulators, haunting them late at night to steal training time where he could. (Ultimately, he managed to place himself on the schedule for Pollux 10, for one last 'hurrah' before retirement.)

With the election of Carter, NASA now had the mandate to return to the Moon that it had been looking for; Administrator Phillips had kept his 1988 target date in mind, and instructed an increasingly key figure, George Abbey, to pull together the proposals for a report to be presented to the President in the early days of his administration, to strike while the iron was hot.

February 3rd, 1978: CZECH-OFF!

Vladimir Remek, a Colonel in the Czech Air Force, became the first man in space to be a citizen of a country other than the United States or the USSR with the launch of Soyuz 28; this has been acclaimed as a triumph for the Soviet space effort. Rumours that cosmonauts from other Eastern Bloc countries have been training for future missions of this type have been guardedly confirmed by sources in Moscow; speculation that a former Vietnamese 'ace' is under training for a lunar orbital flight is running rampant in the space community, though no official statement has been made – nor are any further Soviet lunar missions in this decade currently reported to be scheduled.

Vice-President Glenn, speaking in Schenectady today, suggested that the United States is also advanced with plans to invite its allies to participate in its space efforts, noting that the European Space Agency is already contributing experiments to the planned Space Station Enterprise, and that its outlined successor, Space Station Constitution, is expected to include a 'Euro-Japanese Science Module'. White House sources suggest that the British, German and Japanese governments have been invited to suggest potential candidates for the planned selection of a new group of NASA astronauts later this year.

May 13th, 1979: “IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!”: AL BEAN

Astronauts Al Bean and Bill Dana became the first Americans in space for five years today, as the Pollux 3 capsule rocketed off the launch pad to begin a three-day shakedown flight for the new capsule. The launch, viewed live and with hundreds of thousands of spectators present, was a 'complete success' according to flight director Gene Kranz. The news of this spectacular achievement has proven a tonic to Americans after the shocking events that took place at the Civic Centre Mall in Los Angeles yesterday; President Glenn, after taking the oath of office, asked that the launch be commemorated to the memory of the late President Carter; arrangements for his funeral are to be reported shortly. Sources in NASA indicated that there was no thought of postponing the launch; one said that, “It's not what the President would have wanted.” Senator Harrison Schmitt (R-NM) has already called for a NASA Centre to be renamed for the late President.

February 19th, 1983: NATION MOURNS DEATH OF FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, 4 DEAD

Colonel Frederick Gregory, USAF, was among those killed today in the loss of the Castor 11 mission in a catastrophic launchpad explosion. He was scheduled to assume command of Space Station Enterprise with his crew of four; the others killed were Pilot-Astronaut Brewster Shaw and Scientist-Astronauts Donald Beattie and Steven Hawley. Colonel Gregory became the first African-American in space as Pilot on the Castor 4 mission in 1980; Donald Beattie previously served on the Pollux 7 mission. The other two members of the crew were making their first flights into space.

NASA Administrator Hans Mark stated that at this early stage, no cause of the disaster was being ruled out, but that an explosion in the first stage of the Nova I launcher, being used on a manned flight for only the second time, was likely to blame. When asked whether rushed development work on the launcher, designed as a new generation of the Saturn rockets that put man on the moon, was to blame, Administrator Mark strongly rejected all such claims. Reporting on the status of the Castor 10 crew, under the command of moonwalker John Young, he suggested that there was no immediate cause for concern, and that they would return to Earth two weeks later than scheduled after preparing Enterprise for 'a period without human occupancy'.

December 19th, 1983: ENTERPRISE IS 'OPEN FOR BUSINESS'

Pollux 15, under the command of veteran NASA astronaut Al Crews, successfully docked with Space Station Enterprise late this afternoon, following the EVA inspection of the station yesterday. Initial reports suggest that the station has experienced some degredation during its nine months of automated routine but 'nothing that can't be fixed', according to Mission Specialist Michael Mullane, who completed an EVA inspection of the station's hull yesterday. The mission is scheduled to conduct maintenance and repairs on the station for the next two weeks; should new NASA Administrator Thomas Stafford give the go-ahead, the Castor 12 mission will launch on January 3rd to resume normal station operations.

The 'return to flight' has been the most scrutinized mission since the Apollo 20 landing, more so than the Pollux 3 mission of almost five years ago. Successfully 'taming' the Nova I booster remains a priority given its potential use for the lunar flights; President Bush has made such a landing a 'top priority' of his administration, though former President Glenn has stated that in his belief, the 1988 target is now unrealistic, and risks further endangering astronauts. Unmanned testing of the Nova series continues; NASA has indicated that for at least the next four missions, it intends to return to the 'tried and tested' Titan III.

January 26th, 1986: 'THE CANDLE IS LIT'

The Jimmy Carter Space Center has reported that the first successful flight of the Nova II launcher took place this morning; the rocket reached its intended orbit without any problems or malfunctions, and placed its simulated Altair capsule package into a translunar trajectory. This was the third attempted flight of the Nova II; the first, in February and May 1985, failed due to upper-stage malfunctions that have since been corrected. The Nova I launcher, which has been used on all manned NASA flights since December 1984, experienced numerous problems in its early days, culminating in the disaster that claimed the lives of four astronauts in February 1983. An engineer, who asked not to be named, stated that, “First they cancel the damn Saturn, then they make us bring it back under a new name far too fast. The politicians need to make their minds up what they want.”

NASA Administrator Thomas Stafford has indicated that this represents a 'huge step forward' in the agency's plans to return to the Moon within the decade. The first planned missions for this new heavy-lift vehicle are the launch of Space Station Constitution in three launches over the course of the year, which will be operated in the same manner as Space Station Enterprise, abandoned finally in June last year. Like its predecessor, Constitution will be operated by Pollux and Castor-B configuration capsules. Test flights on the Apollo-B capsule are scheduled to begin later this year, using the Nova I launcher; it promises to be an extremely busy year for NASA!

August 19th, 1989: ONE MORE STEP!

Colonel Francis 'Dick' Scobee became the first man to walk on the moon for more than a decade this morning, as he took the 'first steps' from the Altair 4 lander to an audience estimated at more than half a billion. He was accompanied by mission specialists Michael Mullane and Tony England, the latter becoming the first man to walk on the moon twice. Neil Armstrong served as CapCom for their climactic descent, and briefly talked to the astronauts shortly after their touchdown; President Gore congratulated the trio on their 'magnificent achievement', and wished them a successful and 'scientifically profitable' month on the moon. Further congratulations were issued by the crews of Salyut 9 and Space Station Constitution, as well as the French and Korean astronauts currently visiting each of these stations respectively; Castor 34 commander John Young said that he 'wished he could have another go himself'.

Tentative plans for the establishment of an 'International Lunar Station' are on the agenda for summit talks in Malta between President Gore and Premier Demichev next month. General Alexei Leonov was quoted as saying 'we intend to return in the 1990s, now that our station program is well-established, but our sights are now firmly set on Mars'.

NASA Administrators
1958-1961: T. Keith Glennan
1961-1968: James E. Webb
1968-1969: Thomas O. Paine
1969-1975: George Low
1975-1981: Samuel C. Phillips
1981-1983: Hans Mark
1983-1988: Thomas A. Stafford
1988-1994: George Abbey

Presidents of the United States
1969-1974: Richard Nixon (Resigned)
1974-1977: Gerald Ford
1977-1979: Jimmy Carter (Assassinated)
1979-1981: John Glenn
1981-1989: George Bush
1989-1993: Al Gore

Space 'Firsts'
First Non-Russian Cosmonaut: Vladimir Remek, Czechoslovakia (1978)
First Non-American Astronaut: Commander David Chapman, United Kingdom (1982)
First African-American Astronaut: Colonel Frederick Gregory (1979)
First Female Astronaut: Jeanne Crews (1980)
First Double Moonwalker: Tony England (1972/1989)
First Russian Moonwalker: Alexei Leonov (1974)

What is your 'nova'? Its a bit of an odd name, imo, as the Saturn era novas were huge, like at least double a Saturn V....

Hmmm... as Jupiter replaced Saturn, maybe you could have the Saturn series replaced by Jove or Zeus. The obvious Jupiter having been already taken as a launcher name.

Last edited:
NASA had always pegged 'Nova' for a Saturn-successor; this doesn't follow any of those original blueprints, but uses some of the design work...and once a program has been named, it can be hard to change...

(Besides, I always liked the name!)

Well, they were parallel, really. Back in the early 60's, just after Kennedy committed to a moon shot and NASA planners were scrambling for a way to implement it on schedule, "Nova" was supposed to be the rocket for direct landing/direct return, one-launch approaches, and would have to be bloody huge. Saturn was supposed to be for multiple launch, Earth Orbit Rendezvous (that is to say, assembly in Earth orbit) approaches. Then it was realized that Lunar Orbit Rendezvous, leaving the CSM in orbit around the moon so the LEM could be much lighter, and in turn the returning CSM did not need to launch from Lunar surface nor carry the mass of the Lunar landing vehicle with it, allowed the whole thing to be launched from Earth in one shot with a launcher smaller than Nova...

So they thought. As it happened, Apollo-LOR turned out to mass more than they optimistically calculated it would need to in the early 60s, so in the end the really big Saturn V they actually ordered and made and launched was getting to be very nearly or even into the size range that back in those naive early days, they considered suitable for a direct launch of a direct-landing and returning single moonship, which is to say--Nova size! Presumably if we had somehow committed to direct ascent/descent/return--something Von Braun believed was entirely possible, but not within Kennedy's "before the decade is out" time frame--we'd have started with a commitment to a rocket Saturn V sized or maybe just a tiny bit smaller--only to be forced by careful design considerations to kick it up and up.

For example, the Saturn V was meant to use just 4 of the F-1 engines on its first stage, but the projected masses of the Apollo craft kept creeping up and they were pushing into the safety margins for a launch; adding a fifth engine in the center was a kludge. (The upgraded design that is the F-1A was I think commissioned as an alternate path to the same goal, but took too long and was too risky and too late to be adopted, but this is why the F-1A should exist, on paper anyway, in your timeline). Thus the Saturn V was somewhat overpowered for the mission it had, which was where the flexibility it offered to keep a launch going during engine out events came from.

Presumably had the decision been to go with direct ascent, the decision would have been for a "Nova" that really was of similar scale to the OTL Saturn V as finally made, but then would have creeped up to an even bigger scale.

Meaning a bigger VAB, bigger crawler, bigger launch pad, more logistical problems at every step. Also a bigger bang if it blew up, requiring an even larger launch escape tower (or despairing of the option, forcing the crew to take their chances).

Really the Saturn V was a heck of a rocket and modest upgrades, such as improving the structural efficiency of the first stage and swapping in F-1A engines, already designed OTL and presumably not butterflied away in this timeline, could allow incremental improvements possibly at some cost savings without much risk of the sort of deadly teething problems your timeline has.

To be sure there was always risk, and it could be just that pushing their luck with more launches, the dice finally came up snake-eyes, even without taking sloppy risks and shortcuts as your timeline's engineer denounces.

I quite see that for purely political reasons, even a modestly improved Saturn V would probably get a new name, to avoid the impression of resting on laurels and complacency. To my way of thinking an improved Saturn successor should be called "Zeus," but if Carter were to choose "Nova" it would imply his carrying on a long-conceived plan--Saturn for the '60s, Nova for the '70s (since the Huntsville team doubted they could do a Nova on time for a 1970 landing deadline--actually they in effect did, though it would indeed have been inadequate for the mission they'd imagined.) That would be technically wrong of course but it looks good to PR flacks; it's a simpler story to tell than the true one.

For the new Novas to be really dramatically more powerful than the old Saturn V, the expensive infrastructure would also have to be improved--revamped launching pad, beefed-up crawler (or doing tricks like hauling out the liquid-fueled central stack than strapping on separately hauled solid units on the pad), rebuilt VAB if the design is forced to be taller, versus even more heroic overland transport solutions for even wider stages if they solve the problem of packing in more fuel that way.

Whereas, sticking with only some small improvements, by using F-1A, tightening the structural efficiency of the stages (maybe that's where Nova's design went wrong?) or switching over to methane instead of kerosene for the first stage then stretching the upper stages (it is never clear to me why exactly the third stage of the Saturn V did not share the same 10 meter diameter the lower 2 stages had--if that were done, the stack would be shorter, meaning if the lower stages could pack a bit more punch, a bigger third stage could fit in the same height limit as the old Apollo stack) dramatically upgraded missions could still be achieved, with multiple launches--splitting the translunar stack into two would allow doubling the mass landed on the Moon for instance, or more if the CSM is not much increased in size. The modest improvements might not seem to justify calling it a new rocket, but the alternative is to revisit all the work of the 1960s on an even grander scale, in an even shorter timeframe.

Which apparently Carter signed on to do. Last night I spent hours writing a post that your latest one made completely obsolete and irrelevant, so I deleted it.:( (I think that's only the second time I've ever done that). I was wondering in some detail just how Carter would navigate the storms of the late 1970s; the answer is of course he doesn't.:eek:

I was thinking, when you made Carter the champion of the revitalized program in the 1976 campaign, that you might not be on the same "Carter was an incompetent space-hating peanut farmer!" bandwagon that has been so popular since 1980, never mind Reagan's faults and failings. That you recalled that Carter had after all served as an engineering officer aboard USN nuclear-powered submarines and was not the dumb and Luddite hick his political enemies in the day and ever after liked to paint him as being. But then it turns out the Carter Administration is responsible for a slovenly rush job with the Novas...:(:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Essentially, yes, but Nova remained on the books for a while as a 'super-Saturn'. This one is essentially the Saturn reborn – not much additional capacity, but, ironically, more safeguards, uprated electronics, that sort of thing...which ends up causing the problems with taming the Nova II. The Nova I failure is a question of going too fast with too little money; the NASA administration is cutting back a little as the Soviet 'threat' seems to be diminishing.

Carter wasn't really a massive friend of the space program, but he wasn't really an enemy either; he never got to great any astronauts coming home, so to speak! IOTL, he was stuck rather by circumstances that he inherited – there was always going to be a gap between Apollo and Shuttle, and his Presidency ended up in the middle of it. ITTL, space was one of the major parts of his campaign, because the Soviet lunar landings were a hot topic – hence Vice-President Glenn.

I thought the assassination would be an interesting butterfly to throw in...there was an attempt on that day, not really a serious one, but...he gets unlucky. President Glenn ends up reacting in a not-dissimilar way; he's inherited the Carter cabinet, the problems with the Shah, and it is George Bush who beats him in an admittedly rather narrower election in '80. (Reagan missing his chance; John Anderson ends up as VP.) Gore beats a fairly limp challenge from Bob Dole in '88; Anderson failed to win the nomination.

The Carter administration has some blame for the accident, but more on Glenn and Bush; they're pushing NASA to switch to the new Nova as soon as possible, the USAF is putting some pressure on, and while no-one is cutting funding, increases that were projected don't materialise in late Glenn and early Bush...though he has to ramp up a little in his second term to make up the losses.