EU or HOI?

Just a q for the board. It's my first time into this series and I was wondering if I should get Hearts of Iron first or Europa Universalis?

well i like EU a hell of alot more, because it spans a longer period of time, you can colonise, create a byzantine east india company plus some other cool stuff, where as HOI is just about ww2 and mainly about war.

by the way if you do get EU3 get the two expansions and magna mundi mod, it make the game much much better.

I'd recommend HOI2 as the first game you play, not due to it being particularly better, but its learning curve is marginally less colossal.

Get EU. You'll want to get the latest version of HoI, and HoI3 just came out. But you'll want to wait for the price to come down, maybe for an expansion to come out, certainly a little while for the bugs to be worked out.

Hoi3 is a bit... unpolished. One could say the same thing of all Paradox games when they first come out. However, through patches and expansions, Paradox always makes a good end product. I'd say get EU3. It's been out a few years already, so most of the major kinks are worked out, and it has two expansions that vastly improve the game with a third on the way.

HoI has a non-colossal learning curve? huh?

I'm a longtime Victoria player, and I still can't figure out how to play HoI. Odd.

I'd get HOI3 first. EU3 is a bit more complicated and although it gives you longer to play, it can take very long to get much done, especially if you play a non-European nation. Although both games have alot of minor nations, EU3 makes them alot less viable, although I will say that I do love the screen you get when you leave the game that lists the legacy of your leaders.

Thanks for the input. I probably won't be getting anything until after my birthday, though. Unless I get 1 of them for my birthday

EU3. A much more polished game at this point, with a third xpack on the way, and set in the greatest era of human history. Also: renaming your territories FTW.

EU3. A much more polished game at this point, with a third xpack on the way, and set in the greatest era of human history. Also: renaming your territories FTW.

Yeah, naming your colonies is extra cool. So many provinces in North America, sometimes you have to scratch your head to find a plausible name :p
Or giving your Asian provinces Hellenic names instread of Barbarian gibberish when playing Byzantines :p

I would sugest EU3, it's getting a third expansion soon (might be worth waiting for a bundle) and is a stable, polished good all-around game with many mods and perfect for Alternative history funs.
HoI2 if you prefer WW2 themes.
From HoI2, I would stay away until a few mods, patches and expansions.

Civ4 BTS, for the replay value...

Humm. You know I actually havn't tried any of these paradox games, only stuck to Civ and im wondering whether for my next game (only just got civ, it aught to be in a rather long time) if I should try one. Admittedly, I never even heard of them before coming to this site, the only game shops we have here are horribly low choive and overpriced, so I only use Play.Com to buy games, and its not exactly great for just 'browsing'. Is it worth getting any of them when Im used to playing Civ? Too similar/different, easy/hard?

Oh dear, I think I may have partly hijacked the thread...:D

I with Rny2 here, I love Victoria, but could never figure out HoI2. EU3 on the other hand is rather simple IMO, and I love it, so get it!