Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I read this correctly the attack began before the declaration of war had been given?

Yes, it began when the Ambassador was still trying to get from the Kroprinzenpalais to Wilhelmstraße. Not a lot of difference, but Germany does have a telegraph and phone network.

The clear winner of this is Japan.

Why ?

When some idiot suggests Pearl Harbor - which as far as the note delivering shortly before the bombs fall was identical and also came with a host of widely separate thrusts of attack - the rest of the of the room is to going to look at him and go "Yes, Tsar Nicholas ?".

Because this is going to an abject lesson of what happens when you do shit like this. The germans are going to be very peeved at this and will be very strong in their admonishments for same.

The phrase "We've been Kiel Canalled!" will be the German equivalent to "We've been Pearl Harbored!" ;) How would you translate that. Wir sind Kiel Kanalt gewesen! ??

Potentially "Wir wurden kanal-isiert!" or "Wir wurden gekielt!" - I do not think there will be a compound in this instance. Maybe it will become known as the "Kieler Zwischenfall" or Kiel incident :D
Edit: Due to the politics surrunding this "Kieler Schande" oder "Überfall von Kiel"

Last edited:
Doesn't fit. German does not have a great ability of, uh, making adverbs out of nouns. The Kiel Canal was called Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal in that era and the detonation occurred in Rendsburg. Maybe the "Rendsburg attack" or some such thing. We Germans tend to be prosaic about stuff like that ^^

Yes, it began when the Ambassador was still trying to get from the Kroprinzenpalais to Wilhelmstraße. Not a lot of difference, but Germany does have a telegraph and phone network.

So the declaration would have been on time if someone had been at the Kronprinzenpalais to receive it? Not that I expect that to make the slightest bit of difference to the Germans or to the international community.

Looking forward to some epic German ass-kicking.

18 June 1906, Heligoland

There was little that could beat a naval squadron going into action for sheer spectacle, noise and display. Captain Alexander Kolchak watched from the bridge of Bayan as two torpedo boats nosed their way into the anchorage. The shore was alive with people now, native fishermen come out of their hutches and throngs of holidaymakers who had come to the island on the pretty, white-painted excursion steamers from Hamburg or Cuxhaven. They had certainly chosen a bad day to enjoy the seaside. Landing parties from Izumrud and Apraxin were headed for the main pier, an impressive wooden construction that allowed the tourists to make landfall dry and comfortable, while the guns of the rest of the squadron pointed ouwtwards, scannning the horizon for an avenging fleet out of Wilhelmshaven. They had planned with the assumption of surprise, and it seemed to have worked. If the Germans really took the estimated 36 hours to sortie an adequate number of ships, Kolchak would have won the first round. How foolish a decision not to fortify this Heligoland! In his ridiculous Anglophilia, the German emperor had handed his enemy a dagger pointed stzraight at the jugular of Germany's seabourne commerce.

The first officer stepped back onto the bridge. Lieutenant Commander Petrov was old for his rank - a highly skilled expert in mine warfare with few connections or influential friends whom Kolchak had selected himself. “Sir,” he reported, “we are ready to go. Section A and B can move out on signal, C is loading. How do we stand on the Southern approaches?”

It would be a bad idea to mine the route they had taken and still depended on before they knew they would not be fighting a sea battle today. Then again, doing so too late would give the Germans a clear route of approach. “I'll signal the admiral.” Kolchak replied. “Have the boats ready to go.”

Flags went up on Bayan, sending the question to the flagship. Admiral Essen would probably trake the risk, Kolchak figured, after he was finished with Ensign Hoffmaer. The captain was still fuming. Stupid kids from the academy could do more damage in a minute than experienced gunners in a n hour sometimes. What did he have to go and shoot that fisherman for? Yes, he had not answered his hail and headed back to shore. But what was he supposed to do, alert the island's three policemen twenty minutes earlier than they would otherwise find out? Not to mention that the young fellow mangled his German something horrible. Kolchak was half sure he had been assigned to this job because of his supposed linguistic ability, but he certainly would not want to rely on him to communicate with any real German. Especially not one who spoke a dialect as thick and incomprehensible as the Heligoland one. Two people shouting at each other from bobbing boats in what each insisted was German – the scene would be funny if it hadn't been so bloody tragic.Of course the German press would make a big fuss about it.

Kolchak could see the landing party swarming over the jetty and up the stairs to the mainland now. Some of the spectators began running – where to? What was the point? The island was tiny, and in a matter of hours everyone on it would be herded into the village square and locked up. Admiral Essen planned to put them on the tourist steamers and send them off to neutral ports in England or the Netherlands, and Kolchak approved of the idea. You didn't need civilans underfoot for what was coming..

“Lookout reports smoke heading this way, Sir!” The voice of his adjutant brought him back to the task at hand. was this it? Would the German battleships now rush in and end their well-laid plans in a maelstrtom of fire and steel?

“How many ships?”

The question was relayed back and forth. Just like the sailor in the crow's nest to forget the most salient details.

“One, Sir. Looks like a small steamer.”

Kolchak sighed with relief. That would be the daily tourist ship. Well, they would certainly get some sights to see. The young ensign stood quietly for moment, an expectant look on his face.

“What?”, Captain Kolchak asked.

“I was wondering, Sir. What are we supposed to do when warships show up?”

“Depends if they're German, French or English, doesn't it.”, the captain tried to sound flippant. “If it's the French, we open the champagne and hand over the island. With their fleet, they can hold it indefinitely.If it's German, we sink as many as we can. This place is easy to defend and hard to approach if you know what you're doing.”

The ensign's face mirrored a blend of patriotic resolve and fear. At his age, he could not possibly have seen a gun fired in anger. “What if they are English?”

Kolchak shrugged. “Then we die for the Czar like heroes.”

taking from the last sentence i figure the russian expect to face the british too in battle. talking about bad gambles. was heligoland returned to Germany in 1890 as per otl?

asking because the pod was 1888.

Some asshole is going to sink that tourist steamer, isn't it so ?

Man, by the time the opening blows have stopped falling one of the german war goals might very well be "Sink ALL the Russian Navy" because "Fuck you that's why".

Man, by the time the opening blows have stopped falling one of the german war goals might very well be "Sink ALL the Russian Navy" because "Fuck you that's why".

It will be interesting to see if the Germans develope different attitudes towards taking prisoners with respect to the russian navy and army. So far, all the sneak attack treachery dtuff has been conducted by the navy.

Sinking them and shooting the survivors in the water seems more likely the way the Russians have been conducting the war until now.

Or they take the tourists as hostages.

Anyway:
24900112.jpg

SCNR :D

24900112.jpg

taking from the last sentence i figure the russian expect to face the british too in battle. talking about bad gambles. was heligoland returned to Germany in 1890 as per otl?

asking because the pod was 1888.

Heligoland was swapped as per OTL - still looked like a good idea to Bismarck - and was left unfortified as a gesture of good will towards Britain. That decision now comes back to bite the Germans in the posterior - quite badly.

As to the British - the Russians do not expect to fight the Royal Navy, but they fear it. It's a bit like the way Berlin feels about the french - you always look over your shoulder. Kolchak knows that a) the British are friendly with the Germans and hostile to Russia and b) he's playing in their back yard. Their best case scenario is that France joins them and Britain stays out. Then they can resupply Heligoland from France and use it to bottle up German commerce. The second best scenario is they face German alone. In that case, they know they are doomed eventually, but can do a lot of damage and hope to hold out until the peace agreement. Britain joining the war is the worst case scenario as far as the navy is concerned, because the Royal Navy will just flatten them in passing.

Potentially "Wir wurden kanal-isiert!" or "Wir wurden gekielt!" - I do not think there will be a compound in this instance. Maybe it will become known as the "Kieler Zwischenfall" or Kiel incident :D
Edit: Due to the politics surrunding this "Kieler Schande" oder "Überfall von Kiel"

In english the phrase will be ,,Kielhauled,, and i am guessing it would be invented andpopularized by Punch in an iconic cartoon.

With this attack by the Russians, are the Germans going to suspect some sort of French collusion with the recent attack on the Kaiser? Many Germans at least will find this suspicious timing I think.

British ambassador goes to the russian war ministry.

Dear chaps, his majesties government would be most pleased if you could see your way to removing your forces from heligoland.

Are you crazy, why would we do that!? The germans would take island back and fortify it. We are at war with them, you know!

Well, we could arrange for a suitably neutral party to take possession....

Like britain, i suppose?

British ambassador justs smiles quietly.

Quite out of the question!!

Well, i do hope you will change your mind quickly. The british fleet will be arriving in seven days. We DO want the transfer to be peaceful, now, dont we?

With this attack by the Russians, are the Germans going to suspect some sort of French collusion with the recent attack on the Kaiser? Many Germans at least will find this suspicious timing I think.

Not those in office - they know the details - but enough regular people will believe it to make for some dicey politics. Which makes this a really good time to have a dysfunctional government...

Status
Not open for further replies.