Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're going to try to take some of Germany's colonies. Most likely Tanzania.

If they'are starting the war against the Germans now, it will be Tansania.

However, I doubt that the Russians would be that mad. At the moment, they don't even control all of their homeland, not to speak of Poland and Finland. This is not the situation where you start a war. They'd wait at least another year and try to subdue the rebels in the meantime.

They're going to try to take some of Germany's colonies. Most likely Tanzania.

Holy shit, I want whatever the Czar's smoking.

Please tell me that airships will factor into the coming battle...

Or maybe German New Guinea?

If its east-africa it gets really interesting when they get their bearings a little wrong and end up invading British east-africa.:rolleyes:

Or maybe German New Guinea?

If its east-africa it gets really interesting when they get their bearings a little wrong and end up invading British east-africa.:rolleyes:

First, if I remember correctly, Tanganjika gives a certain man named Ludendorff some action he'll desperately await.

Second, Britain will not, by any means, accept a Russian presence in the Indian ocean. If the Russians really attack Tanganjika, the British enter the war.

I still believe, though, that the Russians are nt that mad. There might occur some stupidities - as with the Baltic fleet - but I think these troops head for Europe. If the North of St. Petersburg is still open, that's a reasonable deployment. The storming of the city needs time, and my guess is that the Russian commanders want to smoke them out slowly.

First, if I remember correctly, Tanganjika gives a certain man named Ludendorff some action he'll desperately await.

Second, Britain will not, by any means, accept a Russian presence in the Indian ocean. If the Russians really attack Tanganjika, the British enter the war.

I still believe, though, that the Russians are nt that mad. There might occur some stupidities - as with the Baltic fleet - but I think these troops head for Europe. If the North of St. Petersburg is still open, that's a reasonable deployment. The storming of the city needs time, and my guess is that the Russian commanders want to smoke them out slowly.

Fun time insanity option: Russian paranoia struck true and incorrrectly arrived at the correct conclusion of an British-German Alliance.

In order to "RUSSIAN DELUSION" the British Empire in standing aside a naval invasion of Ireland will take place. The idea being that an independent Ireland and the navy units in irish ports would keep the Briths attention fosuced close to home and secure a valuable bargaining chip to placate the Brits with later.

Extra fun time option: Replace Ireland with Scotland

Super Extra Fun Time Madness option: Replace British with US, Ireland with Cuba.

Fun time insanity option: Russian paranoia struck true and incorrrectly arrived at the correct conclusion of an British-German Alliance.

In order to "RUSSIAN DELUSION" the British Empire in standing aside a naval invasion of Ireland will take place. The idea being that an independent Ireland and the navy units in irish ports would keep the Briths attention fosuced close to home and secure a valuable bargaining chip to placate the Brits with later.

Extra fun time option: Replace Ireland with Scotland

Super Extra Fun Time Madness option: Replace British with US, Ireland with Cuba.

You know, that does sound much nicer than the landing in Ludendorff's backyard.

Carlton did say
Oh, no. Landing on the Friesian coast would be downright boring compared to what the Czar is going to make poor Vitgeft do.

So its likely not going to be storming st peterburg, that would be a boringly sane decision.

i do like obfuscateds' options :D
And russian paranoia might not be at work here, it could just be that the okrana managed to get some vital information regarding the treaty.
Its not just delusion on the russians part, its also they are running out of time and they need a diversion abroad to calm the internal unrest. They are not going into the war to get territory after all. So most of the things will be aimed for political effect rather than military.

Just wondering if they might give the dardanelles a try, the russians wanted that for a long time.

Last edited:
So its likely not going to be storming st peterburg, that would be a boringly sane decision.

True, I missed that.

So Tanganjika then?

Another option would be to occupy/raid Chile. Germany is dependent on nitrates there, right? Without those nitrates, the better industrial capacity of Germany is levelled out to some extent.

If the Russians think there's an Anglo-German alliance, they might head for the Suez channel?

Or maybe they are thinking more directly: they lost Port Arthur, but need a warm water port in the Pacific. Kiautchou? Would instantly level out the recent Japanese success to some extent.

The Sandman

Banned
Another option would be to occupy/raid Chile. Germany is dependent on nitrates there, right? Without those nitrates, the better industrial capacity of Germany is levelled out to some extent.

At this point in time, I believe that everybody is dependent to some extent on Chilean nitrates. Russia seizing control of them would be a great way to piss off every other power simultaneously. So it's something that this Russia might actually think was a good idea.

At this point in time, I believe that everybody is dependent to some extent on Chilean nitrates. Russia seizing control of them would be a great way to piss off every other power simultaneously. So it's something that this Russia might actually think was a good idea.

Really? I once read that the US had their own sources. I suspected that Britain and Russia somewhere in their vast territories had some own sources as well, which would leave the other continental powers as most dependent?

finding locations for niter (KNO3) here - http://www.mindat.org/min-2917.html
nitratine (NaNO3) - http://www.mindat.org/min-2916.html

these are the 2 mineral sources for nitrates.

as you can see quite a lot of sites in the us.

Thank you for that link!

Now I'm not sure how high the US production capability was back then, but I guess the US could easily supply the fighting powers in Europe if Chile is out, hence this is not a good idea.

So, Tanganjika then?

In any case, it would be cool to see Ludendorff leading "Ober Ost Afrika" and defeating the Russians with his Askaris.

Thank you for that link!

Now I'm not sure how high the US production capability was back then, but I guess the US could easily supply the fighting powers in Europe if Chile is out, hence this is not a good idea.

So, Tanganjika then?

In any case, it would be cool to see Ludendorff leading "Ober Ost Afrika" and defeating the Russians with his Askaris.

Ludendorff is good, but in this case the Russian will have to defeat themselves. The Schutztruppe amounts to under 500 men at the momennt, while Vitgeft brings over 10,000 into play.

Fortunately, the ITTL Russians are good at defeating themselves.

The Russians will not defeat themselves. The climate will defeat them. Sending troops adjusted to Siberia on ships into the tropics will eradicate the effectiveness. Schutztruppe and native fighters should be able to defeat them if they are using the correct tactic.

The Russians will not defeat themselves. The climate will defeat them. Sending troops adjusted to Siberia on ships into the tropics will eradicate the effectiveness. Schutztruppe and native fighters should be able to defeat them if they are using the correct tactic.

I'd say that counts. Well, that and having zero experience in African land warfare. The Russians hope to deliver dmoralising blows early and motivate France to join in, which means they confidently expect their men and ships to be reinforced by French colonial troops. If they aren't, well, it wasn't like they needed that particular infantry unit...

13 March 1906, St Petersburg

The streets of the city were eerily quiet. Captain Valentin Berezik had often visited st Petersburg during his posting to Schlüsselburg. It had been only a short train ride, and the schedule of a peacetime officer in the army's more popular postings was not very demanding. He had always come away with an impression of crowded, bustling, confused activity, and anthill of a city that did not even seem to go to sleep completely when the last dances ended. Now, you hardly saw a person. Nothing moved. The occasional pedestrian would consciously avert his eyes, affecting the slow, purposeful shuffling walk that signalled they were going about legitimate business, not running away from anyone. Only the pickets posted at crossings and bridges acknowledged his presence, formally saluting him as he led his men into what had still been a battlefield yesterday.

Things were worse in the workers' neighbourhoods. Out in the suburbs, you saw the occasional bit of damage – smashed windows, carts and carriages roughly manhandled off the road – but here, the smoking ruins of barricades had been left uncleared. Entire blocks of flats and factories stared at the men with empty-burned-out windows, the walls pockmarked with bullets and occasionally holed by artillery shells. And almost every intersection sported a gallows. Berezik had heard of the “Crassus order”. Originally, scuttlebutt had it, Dubrovin had advised the Czar to have all rebels taken alive impaled, but Grand Duke Nikolai, or someone with a sense of the demands of modernity, anway, had intervened. He approved of making an example of rebels in principle, but the idea of decorating miles and miles of roads with the corpses of captives still felt revolting. He was a soldier, not a hangman! Apparently, others had gone about the task with greater enthusiasm. Berezik could feel the eyes of the men marching in column behind him. Straining his ears, he could make out their muttered comments amid the clatter of hooves and boots on the cobblestones. They did not sound approving.

The Neva bridges were intact – that, at least, had been achieved. Navy vessels had been instrumental in getting the troops across the river at undefended points, circumventing the rebels at the bridgeheads. Cossack cavalry and guards infantry were posted at every one now. In the inner city, some people were out and about – well-dressed folk, mostly, and many sporting the silver bagde of the Patriotic Union. Women brought flowers and water to the guards. They did not bring food, there had been little enough of that in the city over the past months. Still, it was nice being appreciated. Or maybe appeased. It could be hard to tell. Finally, they reached the command post set up at the Smolny Institute. Here, he would be assigned duties and billets for his men. Soldiers across the street had turned an enclosed schoolyard into an improvised holding pen, guarding sullen-looking civilians. So, at least not everyone had been hanged out of hand. Maybe these were just suspects, waiting for whatever justice the state of emergency would allot them. Or maybe they were already scheduled for the next trains out to Siberia. It was tolerably warm and not raining, Berezik figured, so they should not be in too great danger for now. He still hoped they would find him and his men indoor accomodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.