Enoch Powell as Prime Minister of Great Britain

englander1

Banned
In February 1974, Powell left the Conservative Party, mainly because it had taken the UK into the European Common Market, and advised the electorate to vote Labour, who promised a referendum on whether or not the UK should remain in the EEC, as the only way to save the UK's sovereignty.

Had he not left the Conservative party it is likely that he not Margerat Thatcher would have won the Conservative leadership election just 1 year later.

How different would Britain be today if that had happened?

Powell was noted for his oratorical skills, and for being a maverick. On Saturday April 20, 1968 he made a controversial speech in Birmingham, in which he warned his audience of what he believed would be the consequences of continued unchecked immigration from the Commonwealth to Britain. Because of its allusion to Virgil saying that the Tiber would foam with blood, Powell's warning was dubbed the "Rivers of Blood speech" by the press, and the name stuck.[27]
The central political issue addressed by the speech was not immigration as such, however. It was instead the introduction by the Labour Government of anti-discrimination legislation which would prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race in certain areas of British life, particularly housing, as many local authorities would not give houses to immigrant families until they had lived in the country for a certain number of years. This meant that almost all Commonwealth immigrants living in England before 1970 were owner occupied or private tenants. Powell found this legislation offensive and immoral.
One feature of his speech was the extensive quotation of a letter he had received detailing the experiences of one of his constituents in Wolverhampton. The writer described the fate of an elderly woman who was supposedly the last white person living in her street. She had repeatedly refused applications from non-whites requiring rooms-to-let, which resulted in her being called a racist outside her home and receiving excrement through her letterbox

englander1

Banned
If Powell had become Prime Minister I can see a Britain today outside NATO and the EU with no immigration and a very small non-white community if any.

If Powell had become Prime Minister I can see a Britain today outside NATO and the EU with no immigration and a very small non-white community if any.

Sounds like a depressing country, smaller population base, smaller economy, possibly no cool Britannia or rebirth of London in the 1990's and 2000's.

Also if Enoch treats the US as an enemy and the SU as a friend......:eek::eek:.

englander1

Banned
Sounds like a boring country:D, smaller population base, smaller economy, possibly no cool Britannia or rebirth of London in the 1990's and 2000's.

Cool Britannia:rolleyes:

The UK population would be about 3 million less than it is now but since the ethnic groups leaving currently run at an economic loss anyway the economy would improve.
We would all so have a real re-birth of London i.e an English London.

67th Tigers

Banned
Sounds like a depressing country, smaller population base, smaller economy, possibly no cool Britannia or rebirth of London in the 1990's and 2000's.

Powell was no friend of the Soviets. His strategic vision for Britain was very similar to that deGaulle had for France, independent, but within the NATO bloc.

I, unlike someone else, have read and even own some of Powells political writings I'd especially recommend Freedom and Reality), and he was certainly no racist bigot, nor was he opposed to Commonwealth immigration, although he was opposed to the automatic right of access Commonwealth citizens continued to have after all effective ties had been severed. He was deeply opposed to the sentimental attachment to the old empire, despite being a rather extreme Indophile. His position on immigration is essentially that currently in use in Australia.

In many ways, Powell would have been Thatcher 10 years earlier. He's too late to stop the real gutting of Britain by Slater, Goldsmith, Roland, al-Fayad etc., and I'm not sure he'd stop them anyhow. Unlike Thatcher, I doubt he'd have allowed the final gutting of the UK's strategic industries though.

Essentially Powell = a British "France" in the world.

englander1

Banned
Powell was no friend of the Soviets. His strategic vision for Britain was very similar to that deGaulle had for France, independent, but within the NATO bloc.

I, unlike someone else, have read and even own some of Powells political writings I'd especially recommend Freedom and Reality), and he was certainly no racist bigot, nor was he opposed to Commonwealth immigration, although he was opposed to the automatic right of access Commonwealth citizens continued to have after all effective ties had been severed. He was deeply opposed to the sentimental attachment to the old empire, despite being a rather extreme Indophile. His position on immigration is essentially that currently in use in Australia.

In many ways, Powell would have been Thatcher 10 years earlier. He's too late to stop the real gutting of Britain by Slater, Goldsmith, Roland, al-Fayad etc., and I'm not sure he'd stop them anyhow. Unlike Thatcher, I doubt he'd have allowed the final gutting of the UK's strategic industries though.

I never said he was a friend of the Soviets.
He just saw America as the enemy she is and the cold war as the sham it was.
As for immigration the current Australian system allows in over 100,000 immigrants a year more than entered Britain when Enoch made his speech.
Powell was very much against immigration and the presence of their descendents here.
He believed that an immigrant being born here would not make them English.
He made several speeches against immigration to the Monday Club and form voluntary repartition.
The term "racist" you use is a communist term that he would have had no worries about bearing.
By the way I own several books on him and by him.
Im a former Conservative party candidate myself and know the former Chairman or the Monday Club quite well.

englander1

Banned

De Gaulle was another greatman ive met his Grandson too another fine Patriot and member of the French National Front.

Cool Britannia:rolleyes:

The UK population would be about 3 million less than it is now but since the ethnic groups leaving currently run at an economic loss anyway the economy would improve.

You really fail to understand English and British history and what's more the history and development of London if you are going around making statements like that!

Had he not left the Conservative party it is likely that he not Margerat Thatcher would have won the Conservative leadership election just 1 year later.

This is a highly debatable assertion. Powell was already well on the way to crankdom by the time of Heath's collapse; would the Tories seriously have considered electing a leader who had just earlier advised electors to vote for their main opposition? Highly unlikely.

Okay, you might say "What if Powell had not advised people to vote Labour and stayed in the Tories?" - but this, I think requires a fundamentally different personality than that which Powell actually possesed. Powell was a maverick in the true sense and he bounced around like a spacehoper on the issues during the mid-to late sixties and the early seventies.

I think he was basically fundamentally unsuited to the kind of compromises and consistency that high office requires, not to mention being possesed of a highly abrasive personality. To me, Powell becoming PM is of the same sort of league of likelihood of Tony Benn becoming PM. Like Benn, Powell's influence within his respective party peaked quickly and then equally as suddenly burned itself out.

Last edited:

This is interesting to me. I don't really know what a properly English London would look like. Ethnically homogenous? Cafes serving jellied eels and pie rather than curry or chinese food or kebabs or pizzas?

I wonder if a Powellist society would stick; or if he would rule for a while, get caught up arguing with his own party, lose an election and go down as one of Britain's most unpopular leaders, leading to a reaction against him, Britain adopting the Euro and more Eastern European immigration compared to immigration from the commonwealth.

I could see British counter-cultures like punk developing faster. Possibly more anger and upheavel against the government, Labour in power in the eighties. Maybe this would butterfly away new Labour.

I wonder if a Powellist society would stick; or if he would rule for a while, get caught up arguing with his own party, lose an election and go down as one of Britain's most unpopular leaders, leading to a reaction against him, Britain adopting the Euro and more Eastern European immigration compared to immigration from the commonwealth.

I think that any extra European immigration would be from Southern Europe at that point.

I like Enoch Powell. He is rather cool, although I think his influence on Britain could have been unhealthy had he become leader of the Tories.

He was very smart though, can't take that away from him.