Chapter 1 - Prologue
Prologue

Copenhagen – January 1430

The chamber was dark. Heavy curtains of embroidered velvet hung in front of the windows, blocking out the bright winter light that shone down from the cloudless skies that day. For the king, the weather itself seemed to mock him. He had no wish for lightness and clear skies at this time. How dare the day look this beautiful when the worsts of misfortune had come to pass? The wax candles had nearly burned out in their brass holders and the fireplace needed tending to as well, but at the moment Eric had no intention of doing anything about that. The darkness suited him better. No doubt she would have reprimanded him about that, but he would never hear her soft scoldings again. The crumpled letter from the bishop of Strängnäs were still in his hand.

”Tha hon til Wadstena kom, thär do then ädhla förstinna from” *

Vadstena. Of course she would die there, of all places in the three kingdoms she had lived since their marriage. The monastery she had devoted so much time to. No doubt she would have preferred it, as the place had captured her heart twenty-three years ago and the founding saint had been the namesake of their youngest daughter. Oh, dear lord, the children had lost their beloved mother. Little Birgitta had barely turned four years old. How do you tell a toddler her mother would never come home again? For several long minutes Eric held his head in his hands as the storm raged inside him. He should never have raised his hand to her all those months ago. Perhaps it was the Lord punishing him for his sins. The last flickering of the candles died out and the room was completely thrown into darkness. Eric straightened himself. There was one thing he needed to do before the day was out, one task more important than anything else that had to be done.

He needed to write to his son. The prince that Queen Philippa had nearly perished in delivering into this world seventeen years ago needed to come home.

*When she came to Vadstena, there the noble Princess piously died - translation

Author's Note: So I have completely lost my marbles evidently.

Prologue

Copenhagen – January 1430

The chamber was dark. Heavy curtains of embroidered velvet hung in front of the windows, blocking out the bright winter light that shone down from the cloudless skies that day. For the king, the weather itself seemed to mock him. He had no wish for lightness and clear skies at this time. How dare the day look this beautiful when the worsts of misfortune had come to pass? The wax candles had nearly burned out in their brass holders and the fireplace needed tending to as well, but at the moment Eric had no intention of doing anything about that. The darkness suited him better. No doubt she would have reprimanded him about that, but he would never hear her soft scoldings again. The crumpled letter from the bishop of Strängnäs were still in his hand.

”Tha hon til Wadstena kom, thär do then ädhla förstinna from” *

Vadstena. Of course she would die there, of all places in the three kingdoms she had lived since their marriage. The monastery she had devoted so much time to. No doubt she would have preferred it, as the place had captured her heart twenty-three years ago and the founding saint had been the namesake of their youngest daughter. Oh, dear lord, the children had lost their beloved mother. Little Birgitta had barely turned four years old. How do you tell a toddler her mother would never come home again? For several long minutes Eric held his head in his hands as the storm raged inside him. He should never have raised his hand to her all those months ago. Perhaps it was the Lord punishing him for his sins. The last flickering of the candles died out and the room was completely thrown into darkness. Eric straightened himself. There was one thing he needed to do before the day was out, one task more important than anything else that had to be done.

He needed to write to his son. The prince that Queen Philippa had nearly perished in delivering into this world seventeen years ago needed to come home.

*When she came to Vadstena, there the noble Princess piously died - translation

Author's Note: So I have completely lost my marbles evidently.
Fan already!

Damn, you still kill her off in 1430? 🥲 I’d hoped she’d play a part in the early parts of the Wars of The Roses. And her young death still leaves Erik vulnerable…
I don't see what role Denmark-Norway-Sweden would have played in the Wars of the Roses to be honest. Yes, he is vulnerable, but he has a 17 year old son and heir here.
That being said, I’m certainly intrigued, and at least she and Erik had sons here!
One son and two daughters.

Yes, one son and two daughters. And thank you so much! Please give suggestions if you want, because I only have a loose idea of where I want to go with this.
ITTL Erik will have every reason not to leave his Kingdoms. He need to secure his succession here.

He was able 1415 to tax all three Kingdoms; 1424-5 go on Pilgrimage to the Holy Land with Philippa running the Kalmar Union.
1429 he instate the Sound Due.
1432 his war with Holstein ends with a cease-fire with Holstein keeping Schleswig though by 1435 Erik decide for peace with Holstein when peace is negotiated which the following events necessiate it seems. 1432 Erik also gets into conflict with the Uppsala Archbishop Domchapel regarding who to get the seat. And the following year with the Swedish commoners/peasants.
Swedish rebellion 1434 which ends 1436 with the leader Engelbrekt killed by a rival - then Erik make a settlement on the advice of the Danish coucil giving the Swedish Magnates selfdetermination. The Danish and Swedish Magnates had 1435 negotiated equality between the Kingdoms of the Union which offended Erik.
And then Erik leave his Kingdoms and settle on Gotland in the Baltic.

Erik inherited the Holstein conflict from Margrete and ended up losing Schleswig. Apparently as he ruled as an autocrat he managed to get in conflict with both the Swedish and Danish Magnates though the Swedish Magnates HAD supported him 1434 against the commoners/peasants rebellion. If he had some of Margrete's diplomatic skills he might have played the two groups of Magnates against each other. Or perhaps the knowledge that he have to secure the domain for his son will make him work to do just so.

My best at the moment - what is Your thoughts?

I don't see what role Denmark-Norway-Sweden would have played in the Wars of the Roses to be honest. Yes, he is vulnerable, but he has a 17 year old son and heir here.
Well, she would be the closest Lancastrian around, and unlike the Beauforts, she is of unquestionable legitimacy. However, her children would be the strongest carriers of the Lancastrian line after Henry VI and Westminster dies, so there are possibilities there in the future ;)

And true, but he doesn’t have Philippa’s popularity in Sweden. Hopefully their kids have

ITTL Erik will have every reason not to leave his Kingdoms. He need to secure his succession here.

He was able 1415 to tax all three Kingdoms; 1424-5 go on Pilgrimage to the Holy Land with Philippa running the Kalmar Union.
1429 he instate the Sound Due.
1432 his war with Holstein ends with a cease-fire with Holstein keeping Schleswig though by 1435 Erik decide for peace with Holstein when peace is negotiated which the following events necessiate it seems. 1432 Erik also gets into conflict with the Uppsala Archbishop Domchapel regarding who to get the seat. And the following year with the Swedish commoners/peasants.
Swedish rebellion 1434 which ends 1436 with the leader Engelbrekt killed by a rival - then Erik make a settlement on the advice of the Danish coucil giving the Swedish Magnates selfdetermination. The Danish and Swedish Magnates had 1435 negotiated equality between the Kingdoms of the Union which offended Erik.
And then Erik leave his Kingdoms and settle on Gotland in the Baltic.

Erik inherited the Holstein conflict from Margrete and ended up losing Schleswig. Apparently as he ruled as an autocrat he managed to get in conflict with both the Swedish and Danish Magnates though the Swedish Magnates HAD supported him 1434 against the commoners/peasants rebellion. If he had some of Margrete's diplomatic skills he might have played the two groups of Magnates against each other. Or perhaps the knowledge that he have to secure the domain for his son will make him work to do just so.

My best at the moment - what is Your thoughts?
This all sounds good to me. His heir definitly have some things to clean up.

Well, she would be the closest Lancastrian around, and unlike the Beauforts, she is of unquestionable legitimacy. However, her children would be the strongest carriers of the Lancastrian line after Henry VI and Westminster dies, so there are possibilities there in the future ;)

And true, but he doesn’t have Philippa’s popularity in Sweden. Hopefully their kids have
One of Philippa's grandchildren might wed back into england later thou. And her children definitly will benefit from her popularity.

This all sounds good to me. His heir definitly have some things to clean up.
At least his great-grandfather being Valdemar IV he might have had some flair for Diplomacy to pass along to his son as well as his own ability to wage war and rule so as not to just up and leave - which he can't.