Effects of a McCain Presidency

Many on this site seem to think due to the little change we have seen over the past 4 years of the Obama administration that it wouldn't matter much if McCain won in 08', I disagree and am interested in what others think would have happened differently had McCain won in 2008 and who would run against him now?

Many on this site seem to think due to the little change we have seen over the past 4 years of the Obama administration that it wouldn't matter much if McCain won in 08', I disagree and am interested in what others think would have happened differently had McCain won in 2008 and who would run against him now?

Hillary would give it a go again, to be sure. Aside from that maybe Schweitzer considering his term expires this year. I really don't know. The 2010 midterms would turn out a lot differently. Quite a few Democrats lost in those elections. It depends on if they're still in power.

At a minimum you'd need to avert the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers for McCain to have a chance of winning. However this delta would have very large LT impacts all by itself making it as much a POD than McCain's policies.

At a minimum you'd need to avert the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers for McCain to have a chance of winning. However this delta would have very large LT impacts all by itself making it as much a POD than McCain's policies.
I disagree, give Barack a couple of Gaffes and pick someone other than "I can see Russia" as a Veep and I think he has a chance.

d32123

Banned
I disagree, give Barack a couple of Gaffes and pick someone other than "I can see Russia" as a Veep and I think he has a chance.

I don't think gaffes or Palin really had or would have that much effect on the election. This is a 7.2% lead you're going to have to eat into. Major scandal + a better economic situation is necessary.

I don't think gaffes or Palin really had or would have that much effect on the election. This is a 7.2% lead you're going to have to eat into. Major scandal + a better economic situation is necessary.
What about a earlier stronger Birther movement, some false-documents show up that the Right use to attack Obama's credibility.

d32123

Banned
What about a earlier stronger Birther movement, some false-documents show up that the Right use to attack Obama's credibility.

What on-the-fence person who would have otherwise vote for Obama is going to be convinced by that?

What on-the-fence person who would have otherwise vote for Obama is going to be convinced by that?
Alright how about it turns out he was ACTUALLY A KENYAN
BUM-BUM-BA
Sorry-honestly I don't know I am out of ideas but changing the economic situation is something I would like to avoid as it alters the POD to much and defeats the point of the thread.

d32123

Banned
Alright how about it turns out he was ACTUALLY A KENYAN
BUM-BUM-BA
Sorry-honestly I don't know I am out of ideas but changing the economic situation is something I would like to avoid as it alters the POD to much and defeats the point of the thread.

Then go with a scandal. It's how kevvy got McCain elected in his TL.

Then go with a scandal. It's how kevvy got McCain elected in his TL.
Such as? I was trying to think of one that would work but Barack really is to cool-headed to do something stupid enough that it would really bight him in the ass, unless he was possessed by Colonel H. Stinkmeaner of course. :)

I readily admit that US politics isn't my strongest side, but:
Wasn't it the unbelievably short-sighted choice of Palin as VP-candidate, and a few....less than fortunate remarks about the economy (making him seem out of touch with economic realities) that lost the election for McCain, along with Palin's also less than fortunate remarks on e.g. foreign policy?

If memory serves (it might not!), it was quite a close race for a while, until McCain and (perhaps more so) Palin screwed up?

Several things need to be moved for this to happen

1. Vice-President: If the president died which of these two would you want: a 6-term senator known for his age, experience, and knowledge, or a young, somewhat naive and untested Governor with little national or international acclaim.

2. Media coverage: Obama was seen as this young, intelligent, and relate-able man with enough wit and cunning to back him up, and guide us through. McCain was a veteran and willing to work with people, but couldn't get anyone excited for him. Obama was fresh and McCain kinda old news.

3. Gaffes: Palins and McCains comments on foreign policy, and the economy made people suspicious of how they felt about their capabilities. McCain:"Sure. Technically, I don't know." --asked if the U.S. is in a recession, "60 Minutes" interview, Sept. 21, 2008, Obama kept his mouth closed mostly with potential slip-ups. Biden was a gaffe machine sure, but it wasn't a two hit combo.

4. Party Exasperation: In 8 years Bush started 2 wars, which people didn't know when end was in sight, and rose the already scary deficit up by $5 trillion, betraying the fiscal responsibility the Republican were known for. People were tired of it and want a 180, and Obama seized this opportunity.

All in all if McCain gets a New VP, is a bit more tight lipped on certain subjects, and can distance himself from Bush and his various failures, he could swing over enough people to squeeze in and electoral college victory