East Coast Electrics-An Alternative British Railway

East Coast Electrics-An Alternative British Railway

ECML.png

An artists illustration of a class 81 electric loco, presumably at London Kings Cross awaiting departure for Leeds.

Yes, this is my third timeline on the go. I just can't help myself. If your wondering what has become of Thatcher Survives-So does British Rail or A Summer's Day in 1999- they're coming along well and will be updating them soon.

This is a timeline I came up with yesterday and wrote almost all of it in one day-so updates with this timeline will be speedy. In short, the POD is 1959, and the original plan for East Coast Mainline electrification goes ahead alongside West Coast Mainline electrification. Meaning we see wires along the east coast of Great Britain 25 years earlier than in our timeline.

Does this mean there are no Deltics? Yes, Deltics are never made in this timeline.

So hopefully you like my 1950s/60s inspired artwork and how this alternative British railway system unfolds in the decades ahead...

Heresy! A TL without Deltics is like a curry without Cobra beer. :oops:

Seriously, could be interesting and I'll enjoy reading it. I just hope British Railways is better at cost control than in OTL - did you ever read Stuart Joy The Runaway Train? An accountant's view rather than that of an economist or traveller but suggestive of a lot wrong with the management.

Heresy! A TL without Deltics is like a curry without Cobra beer. :oops:

Seriously, could be interesting and I'll enjoy reading it. I just hope British Railways is better at cost control than in OTL - did you ever read Stuart Joy The Runaway Train? An accountant's view rather than that of an economist or traveller but suggestive of a lot wrong with the management.

Very true, I did find it hard not to write in Deltics. Quite possibly, they could be used north from York as there’s that lovely long straight section through Thirsk and Northallerton, but I’m not sure how much more 100mph sections there is before and after Newcastle.

I haven’t read that book but it does sound interesting. I think that as BR’s electric traction programme was driven pretty much by replacement of original locos on the WCML leading to a hodgepodge of schemes of electric locos that were never built. So I think with earlier ECML wiring they’ll be more focus of what locos need building in the 70s rather than the 80s.

Very true, I did find it hard not to write in Deltics. Quite possibly, they could be used north from York as there’s that lovely long straight section through Thirsk and Northallerton, but I’m not sure how much more 100mph sections there is before and after Newcastle.
I think it's more likely BR would use something like OTL Class 50s to take trains north of York and Crewe until electrification is continued up to Glasgow and Edinburgh. But it's your call, a Deltic would be better than a single cl50 and not much less powerful than a pair used in multiple.

Other uses for Deltic-type locomotives would be on the Bristol and South Wales routes.

Could always use a developed Deltic powerplant in a HST equivalent.

The prototype might have been ordered anyway so your version of BR might find a use for it somewhere.

I do recal that quite a few Deltic hauled services would swap locos at York. Class 47s generally taking the train forward to Edinburgh and on to Aberdeen. Could well be that since those locos have a top speed of 95 mph that BR could see them as suitable gap fillers until electrification reaches Edinburgh. Of course it also depends on whether the HST is developed in this TL.

When Ernest Marples gave the green light to the electrification of the East Coast Mainline in 1959, he was visibly not a happy man.

The M1 motorway, his pet project, not least due to his own personal interest was running two years behind schedule, and British Railways subsequently found passenger numbers increasing into the 1960s. The East Coast route, unlike the West Coast Route, would be much easier to electrify, with much less overbridges to rebuild and long straight track through the sparsely populated fenland of eastern England, this shouldn’t be a complicated job and most importantly-an expensive one. On a cold day in early January 1960, tree felling had taken place between Oakleigh Park and New Barnet in North London in preparation of construction of the catenary masts to carry the overhead wires.

Ernest_Marples_MP.jpg

Throughout that year, close work had begun on modernising the old Victorian platforms in North London’s suburban stations and preparing them for the construction of the catenary. Between Hertford, Hatfield and London, dozens of old Victorian canopies were removed and destroyed-to be replaced with modern bus shelter type canopies as seen on the newly electrified East Coast Mainline. However, the North Eastern Region of British Rail had a dilemma on its hands; what would become of the suburban services to Moorgate?

The connection to the Metropolitan Widen Lines, which shared tracks with the Midland Region to Moorgate was accessed by a small bored tunnel, too small to carry electrification cables. Furthermore, the siting of Kings Cross York Road and its sister station on the down line, Kings Cross Suburban were deemed to be too small and remote from the main station to handle the extra traffic from the newly electrified services. Reboring the tunnels were out of the question, as this would impact the cellars of buildings along York Road itself which the line had to descend steeply to avoid. Thus, one option that was briefly looked at was to build a new, bored connection to the Midland connection to the widened lines underneath the station throat at St. Pancras. However, it was chosen to electrify the line from Finsbury Park to Broad Street and close the York Road branch entirely. This would at least breathe some life into the fledging station at Broad Street which was proposed to be built over with an office development similarly to what had occurred at Fenchurch Street.

york(adrian_the_rock6.1972)road_old5.jpg
The mouth of the York Road tunnel portal was clearly not large enough to be electrified with overhead wires.

Broad Street station then went under a major reconstruction which included the dismantlement of the Victorian overall roof. Controversially, BR had also planned to knock down the original station buildings, however the City of London Corporation had put up a fierce fight against removing the station frontage, in the fear the same fate would eventually happen to Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street. The large builds over the station were to be named “North London Place” as a tribute to the station’s original builders-the North London Railway.

broad_street6.jpg
Broad Street station-undergoing preperation work for electrifcation.

Much work was taken on the southern end of the East Coast Mainline-track was lowered across its many tunnels, particularly in the Barnet Tunnels to fit in the electric wires and trees and hedges were trimmed back in preparation for the headspan electrification catenary. The tracks through Grantham and Hatfield the August Bank Holiday weekend diverting services via the Hertford Loop to smooth he curves for faster running and a new engine shed was to be opened at York to deal with class 81 stabling.

In preparation for electrification, BR ordered the following rolling stock:

12 Class 81 locomotives designed by Associated Electrical Industries and built by Beyer, Peacock and Company in Gorton, Manchester.
thumbnail4.php

20 four car class 309 EMUs designed for London to Leeds express workings and London to Huntingdon/Peterborough peak workings at York Carriage Works.
3176662748_7cd2bf828a.jpg

27 four car class 305 EMUs designed for Hatfield and Hertford Loop services to Broad Street. Built at York between 1960-62.
7943702776_c9bec8bed3.jpg

It was the class 309s that were of particular attention to the press, as it was the first multiple unit in Britain used for London distance intercity services. The class 309s were already used for the Clacton lines out of Liverpool Street, but this was more of an outer suburban service. The 309/2s from Kings Cross boasted a kitchen and dining car and were to be operated in semi-fixed formations of 8 carriages. BR toyed with the idea of ordering six car units, but held back on the premise that a 12 car train would be too long to for access to Broad Street.

May have gone a bit overboard with the pictures, but you get the idea. Broad Street seemed a little bit fantastical, but there is simply no way they could wired that narrow York Road tunnel. Will post part 2 shortly.

love the pictures.

The train running through the small tunnel must have been awesome to see coming out of the tunnel.

Thanks! That's the "UP" line where trains only go into the tunnel, but the exit tunnel is similar in size. There is a great video on Youtube of someone filming the train descending into the tunnel in the 70s which I've linked below. Skip to 1:08 ;)

This is from the National Railway Museum's copy of the 33-Year Electrification Plan of 1957.

Comparison of ECML and WCML in 1957 Mk 2.png

The Euston to Liverpool and Manchester section of the WCML electrification was planned to be 543 route miles. In the event only 495 route miles were electrified.

Last edited:
Talking of Marples, he has often been labeled a crook, or at least a bit shady. Well I was reminded he was an actual crook - he fled to Monaco in, IIRC the '70s to avoid charges of tax evasion. Ironically he made his escape in a train, the Night Ferry.

Devvy

Donor
Is ECML electrification occurring at the same time as WCML elec (which only started in 59!)?

Is ECML electrification occurring at the same time as WCML elec (which only started in 59!)?
Electrification of the ECML as far as Doncaster and possibly York was part of the 1955 Modernisation Plan

This is an extract of a BTC Report called The System of Electrification for British Railways

VI. How Electrification Will Be Carried Out.png

Devvy

Donor
Electrification of the ECML as far as Doncaster and possibly York was part of the 1955 Modernisation Plan

This is an extract of a BTC Report called The System of Electrification for British Railways.

Yup; ECML predominately to Leeds via Doncaster. My memory is hazy of the source, but I think I remember ECML being second priority to be started as WCML was finishing works. May well be wrong though!

Interesting. Would the wires go as far as Aberdeen, North Sea Oil/Gas isnt a factor at this time but a fast passenger and freight route could be very heavily used by the 1970s boom.

This is from the National Railway Museum's copy of the 33-Year Electrification Plan of 1957.

View attachment 445592

The Euston to Liverpool and Manchester section of the WCML electrification was planned to be 543 route miles. In the event only 495 route miles were electrified.

That is interesting. I wish I had seen that regarding electrifying to Moorgate, however I still don't know how they would of done it, unless they were simply going to widen the tunnel to the Widen Lines to put the wires through?
I was using the map at the end of the report that seemed to show electrification only happening to Leeds and York.

Well the first section, the North London suburban lines would be, but the main trunk route would be completed slightly after the WCML.

Interesting. Would the wires go as far as Aberdeen, North Sea Oil/Gas isnt a factor at this time but a fast passenger and freight route could be very heavily used by the 1970s boom.

I don't think you'd be able to electrify the Forth Bridge. So electrification will probably end at Edinburugh. That said, with the Intercity 125, who know if electrification willl even continue? ;)

I tried googling a rail map of Scotland but just get train ticket adverts. Isn't there a route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen via Perth that doesn't use the Forth bridge