Dumb Question about Eugène de Beauharnais' Children

In the event of either a Napoléonic victory or at least LESS of a Napoléonic defeat (for instance, Napoléon II is installed when his father dies) where do Eugène de Beauharnais' kids wind up?

His daughters (let's assume an OTL birth pattern for them) most likely end up in proper German marriages (Württemberg, Saxony, Prussia) not unlike their half-aunts did OTL. But its his eldest son that intrigues me. By terms of Napoléon's assumption of the crown of Italy, Eugène would be heir there following failure of Nappy to have a second son. Which means that once Napoléon snuffs it, Eugène is "king of Italy" and his eldest son is "crown prince". This would rule out a Portuguese marriage for him (since under Portuguese law, so long as Maria da Gloria remains heiress presumptive to the Portuguese throne, her husband is obliged to live in Portugal[1]).

The only Napoléonic princesses available are daughters of Jérôme and Lucien by his unrecognized second wife (and both HATED Josèphine - Louis was the only Bonaparte who liked her, and he has no daughters).

So...who would be considered a match for Auguste de Beauharnais?

[1] I know butterflies may affect this but since AIUI, the only candidates EVER considered as a match for his son by João VI were Anna Pavlovna and an Austrian archduchess (both with the purpose of offsetting British dominance in South American affairs), lets assume things THERE go as OTL.

@Basileus_Komnenos @isabella @Comte de Dordogne @GeorgeIV @Trackah @alexmilman @Emperor Constantine @VVD0D95 @Earl Marshal @TimTurner

Last edited:
In the event of either a Napoléonic victory or at least LESS of a Napoléonic defeat (for instance, Napoléon II is installed when his father dies) where do Eugène de Beauharnais' kids wind up?

His daughters (let's assume an OTL birth pattern for them) most likely end up in proper German marriages (Württemberg, Saxony, Prussia) not unlike their half-aunts did OTL. But its his eldest son that intrigues me. By terms of Napoléon's assumption of the crown of Italy, Eugène would be heir there following failure of Nappy to have a second son. Which means that once Napoléon snuffs it, Eugène is "king of Italy" and his eldest son is "crown prince". This would rule out a Portuguese marriage for him (since under Portuguese law, so long as Maria da Gloria remains heiress presumptive to the Portuguese throne, her husband is obliged to live in Portugal[1]).

The only Napoléonic princesses available are daughters of Jérôme and Lucien by his unrecognized first wife (and both HATED Josèphine - Louis was the only Bonaparte who liked her, and he has no daughters).

So...who would be considered a match for Auguste de Beauharnais?

[1] I know butterflies may affect this but since AIUI, the only candidates EVER considered as a match for his son by João VI were Anna Pavlovna and an Austrian archduchess (both with the purpose of offsetting British dominance in South American affairs), lets assume things THERE go as OTL.

@Basileus_Komnenos @isabella @Comte de Dordogne @GeorgeIV @Trackah @alexmilman @Emperor Constantine @VVD0D95 @Earl Marshal @TimTurner
Lucien’s contested wedding is the second to Alexandrine, not the first (Jerome is the one who had his first wedding annulled).
Josephine will most likely made her OTL match, her sisters would marry better than OTL.
Maria da Gloria can marry Maximilian instead of Auguste, who will likely made a very good match of his own (an Archduchess or a Savoy princess are pretty likely, and I would NOT exclude a Russian bride as Alexander liked the Behaurnais).
EDIT: I have some doubts for the girls, considering how Stephanie’s daughters married in OTL, but I guess who they would have married better if their brother had lived or Napoleonic rule had not crashed

Last edited:
Does EdB still get to be Prince or Frankfurt when Dahlberg kicks it? If so, is Frankfurt and Italy going to be unified or is he going to give one to each son?

Lucien’s contested wedding is the second to Alexandrine, not the first (Jerome is the one who had his first wedding annulled).
My bad.
Josephine will most likely made her OTL match, her sisters would marry better than OTL.
Maria da Gloria can marry Maximilian instead of Auguste, who will likely made a very good match of his own (an Archduchess or a Savoy princess are pretty likely, and I would NOT exclude a Russian bride as Alexander liked the Behaurnais).
Problem comes in for WHICH archduchess. Franz II has no daughters of appropriate age, and Leopoldo II was slated for the younger daughter of either Joseph Bonaparte or Christine Boyer (which makes a Beauharnais match unlikely). Karl of Teschen was still single by OTL Waterloo (and his marriage only happened in September 1815, before that, a princess of Baden and one from Modena had been up for considerstion - both instances he had to drop his proposal in favour of Franz II). The Archduke Joseph has no daughters (yet), and his third wife blocked ANY marriage attempts of the children of his second wife.
That leaves Maria Cristina of Savoy (b.1812) or an alt-daughter of Maria Beatrice of Savoy and the duke of Modena (not sure whay the reason was why they married in 1812, but their first kid is only born in 1817).
EDIT: I have some doubts for the girls, considering how Stephanie’s daughters married in OTL, but I guess who they would have married better if their brother had lived or Napoleonic rule had not crashed
Stéphanie's husband disliked the match from the get-go (he had originally been in love with, and engaged to Auguste Amalie of Bavaria). At the Congress of Vienna, he essentially behaved worse than some of the bachelor dukes which garnered Stéphanie some sympathy. No doubt a son would've helped, but their father dying when he did probably didn't help matters either.

Does EdB still get to be Prince or Frankfurt when Dahlberg kicks it? If so, is Frankfurt and Italy going to be unified or is he going to give one to each son?
Probably one goes either way. With the prince of Frankfurt also inheriting the "duchy of Navarre" in France from Josèphine (Eugène's younger son got this OTL IIRC)

Depends on the circumstances. A younger son seems likely. Or the parcel gets gobbled up/reassigned.

How does this look for (possible) spouses:

Eugène Rose de Beauharnais, King of Italy [1814/1815/1821-1830[1]], Grand Duke of Frankfurt [1813/1817[2]-1830], Duc de Navarre [1814-1830] (1784-1830) m: 1806 Auguste Amalie of Bavaria (b.1788)

Josèphine (b.1807) m: 1823 Oscar I, King of Sweden (b.1799)​
Eugènie (b.1808) m: 1824 Friedrich Augustus II, King of Saxony (b.1797)[4]​
Auguste Charles Eugène[3], King of Italy [from 1830] (b.1810) m: 1829 Maria Cristina of Sardinia (b.1812)?​
Amélie (b.1812) m: [5]​
Théodelinde (b.1814) m: 1830 Wilhelm II August, King of Württemberg (b.1813)[6]​
Carolina (1816)​
Maximilian Joseph, Grand Duke of Frankfurt, Duc de Navarre [from 1830] (b. 1817)​

[1] I know Eugène died in 1824 OTL, but I personally think he died so "young" (I can't find an actual cause of death) of "boredom". Not unlike how you see a lot of people go "backwards" and die very quickly after they get put into a nursing home.
[2] To answer @Atterdag's question: Napoléon got Dalberg to name Eugène as heir in 1810 (before Napoléon's remarriage)so I don't think that it's going to be affected.
[3] wasn't sure if he'd go with Augusto (recalling the Roman Empire), Carlo (recalling the Carolingians) or Eugene II.
[4] seems odd that there was no talk of matching a steadfast ally like Saxony with a Napoleonic princess. True Eugènie's probably rather young, but with Napoléon around, I figure an Austrian match is "less appealing". And the Queen of Saxony is Auguste Amalie's aunt.
[5] not sure where she'd wind up, a Portuguese match seems unlikely (it only happened OTL because a) Metternich blackballed Pedro I to the other major European houses; b) Amélie was a reasonably "insignificant" princess; and c) Pedro was a fan of Napoléon).
[6] son of Wilhelm I and Karoline of Bavaria. Seems a bit unlikely, I know, but a) Auguste was friends with Katharina of Württemberg, wife of Jérôme Bonaparte; b) Wilhelm's divorce and remarriage to Katya Pavlovna aren't set in stone (neither is Katya's widowhood); c) say Wilhelm I (who was an alcoholic and abusive - according to his son, his third wife lived in "quiet terror" of her husband's rages) gets really wasted one night (he was famous at the Congress of Vienna for his drinking) and knocks his poor wife up.