Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, yeah, a weakened Iraq and Syria would basically be carte blanche for ISIS to expand.

...oh fuck me... with a weakened Saudi Arabia (no more oil money), we could see ISIS in Saudi Arabia. Imagine the shitstorm of the Caliphate reaching the Holy Lands with the Sauds unable to do anything about it because their banks went bye-bye and their oil got chem-bombed...
Jesus Christ I didn't think of that. That makes the Hamas Caliphate from my TL actually even possible in this one. :confounded:

This. The Middle East would be in more intense shit after nuclear war, and since this happened in 2014 it was around the same time ISIS was a new threat to the public eye, so with nuclear war fucking everything up would give ISIS a chance to expand much larger due to the chaos and anarchy in the Middle East.
On the nose. If not the next installment then they’ll make the one after it.

Hi, just recently started this timeline. I have a few comments:

A nuclear war in a 2014 setting would not be as bad as 1980s. Most nukes have been disarmed and a computer error would likely be verified by the Kremlin and the White House hence the Red Telephone that was established after the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. Nonetheless, I must say that it is not an MAD scenario unlike the scenario called Apocalypse: 2012 on the AH Wiki which has a ridiculously long list of targets hit around the world including third world countries of Africa and South America.

And as for this TL, I was 17 (turning 18) at that time of Third World War. Since I was (currently am) in Cebu City, Philippines, I survived though my relatives in Michigan probably did not (visited them May 2014, glad got to see America and places like Miami and NYC before it went up in smoke).

I would be interested in seeing detailed target lists and how they affect each country, as well as the geopolitical future in general.

I assume places like Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand will be seeing waves of refugees from North America and Europe.

Ummm I have to ask. In the case of Australia and New Zealand, how do the refugees get there? Australia's northern coast is either barren desert or crocodile infested mangrove swamp leading to barren desert. New Zealand is buffered by thousands of kilometers of open ocean. Any serious flow of refugees is simply not a possibility.

Ummm I have to ask. In the case of Australia and New Zealand, how do the refugees get there? Australia's northern coast is either barren desert or crocodile infested mangrove swamp leading to barren desert. New Zealand is buffered by thousands of kilometers of open ocean. Any serious flow of refugees is simply not a possibility.
It would take months perhaps by sea. Others would go through Mexico or South America and probably hitch a plane ride there.

Initial Aftermath And Nuclear Winter

nato-and-russia-back-cold-war-blog-the-confrontation-between-bases-nukes-both-sides-army-europe-map-970x662.jpg
What. Since when is there a US base in French territory? And what are these 'NATO nukes' in Burgundy or in England? Who the hell made this map?!

It would take months perhaps by sea. Others would go through Mexico or South America and probably hitch a plane ride there.

Doubtless you would get some refugees but I'd doubt it would get above the thousands, it's just too hard to get here. Both planes and ships need a lot of infrastructure support to cross the distance required.

Today is the 36th anniversary of Petrov saving the world. For the occasion I thought I'd do a mini update inspired by the Photos from 1983 Doomsday thread, here's a recovered video of a piano recital being interrupted by the air raid sirens. The Wireless Emergency Alert system did exist at the time but due to the size and scale of the emergency it failed in a similar way to the nationwide EAS test in 2011 and the audience receives no warning via text. The video cuts off right as someone is mistaking the sirens for a tornado warning.

(A real update should be out before the weekend)

Today is the 36th anniversary of Petrov saving the world. For the occasion I thought I'd do a mini update inspired by the Photos from 1983 Doomsday thread, here's a recovered video of a piano recital being interrupted by the air raid sirens. The Wireless Emergency Alert system did exist at the time but due to the size and scale of the emergency it failed in a similar way to the nationwide EAS test in 2011 and the audience receives no warning via text. The video cuts off right as someone is mistaking the sirens for a tornado warning.

(A real update should be out before the weekend)

One of my favourite AH fiction is 1983: Doomsday which explores the world after a nuclear exchange between the Soviets and America which pretty much changes the world as we know it

ISIS after Judgement Day
Due to the Israeli bombings in Syria on the day of the attack Assad and a majority of government figures are killed when Damascus was nuked. The nuclear winter only exacerbated the long term drought that started the civil war in the first place. ISIS has already sprung up before the war and had mostly been confined to rural sectors of Iraq and Syria with the main exception being the Iraqi city of Mosul, being the largest occupied city and one of the most strategic holdings. It became even more strategic after the war because while Syria suffered a few nuclear detonations no such weapons detonated in Iraq despite US and other western military presence.

While the Iraq war ended in 2011 American and other NATO troops came back in early 2014 when Iraq was dealing with its own Civil War. It is speculated that Russia did not target their military positions in Iraq because they wanted to save their weapons for more strategic targets in Europe and North America. In the weeks following the war, starving survivors make their way to the bases as drought affects Iraq too and any food imports had abruptly ceased. As desperation grew some bases began to open fire but that was a mistake because their ammo was finite and due to the collapse of supply lines no more were coming. The bases also had a finite amount of food and would eventually be in the same situation as the masses surrounding them. So many bases evacuated, using the last of the fuel in any aircraft or vehicles they had. Some were killed by the masses while others fled in a general direction towards Australia, which still had a functioning government.

With the desperate populace and a withdrawal of any force that could hamper them ISIS attempted a coup in both Iraq and Syria. Many civilians welcomed them with open arms too because of the hardships caused by the nuclear war turning many towards religion even stronger than they were before, as religion is very popular immediately after a crisis. By early 2015 ISIS has complete control over the Fertile Crescent and is waiting for radiation to die down in Israel and Turkey before expanding too far North and West. Iran is also on the brink of collapse, pretty much leaving them with unadulterated influence in the Middle East.

With the desperate populace and a withdrawal of any force that could hamper them ISIS attempted a coup in both Iraq and Syria. Many civilians welcomed them with open arms too because of the hardships caused by the nuclear war turning many towards religion even stronger than they were before, as religion is very popular immediately after a crisis. By early 2015 ISIS has complete control over the Fertile Crescent and is waiting for radiation to die down in Israel and Turkey before expanding too far North and West. Iran is also on the brink of collapse, pretty much leaving them with unadulterated influence in the Middle East.
The lights go out in the cradle of civilization.

This truly is an apocalypse if ISIS survives...
By 2019 I see them having total control of the Middle East, possibly even Arabia. You can't export oil without a global supply chain and when your country is all dessert you rely on food imports so the Saudis are going to be hurting bad pretty fast too. The Yemeni Civil war would have also started earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.