Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

It should give us some really kick-ass westerns though... Considering that the old Cattle Drives cross the border, I cna certainly see the cowboy bieng a shared Cultural symbol.

Come to think of it, will there be a nick name for the DSA, like in TL we have Canada or Canuk?

Eurofed

Banned
It should give us some really kick-ass westerns though... Considering that the old Cattle Drives cross the border, I cna certainly see the cowboy bieng a shared Cultural symbol.

Come to think of it, will there be a nick name for the DSA, like in TL we have Canada or Canuk?

Doms, Dominees ?? I wonder if the Americans are going to keep Yankees as a nickname ITTL.

Maybe we see some widespread use of these terms?

For the record, I have no particular favouritism for these terms, and as a Brit I don't really know the full story of them, so if they're looked down upon, or through some subtlety, aren't suitable then do correct me. In fact I only came across the term by searching Wikipedia for US regional demonyms. But looking through the list of comparisons half way down that article, there are a number of similarities to the USA-DSA stereotypes that seem to ring some bells and make it seem legit here.

I Immediately thought/shortened it to Royal Rangers.

DuQuense

Interesting idea and I'm not sure Glen's right that it's going to be more common in the UK. The prime factor of identity for the DSA is that it's not the US and most noticeably the link with Britain. As their sense of a separate identity grows the link with the monarchy is likely to be stronger than the link with Britain.

Steve

DuQuense

Interesting idea and I'm not sure Glen's right that it's going to be more common in the UK. The prime factor of identity for the DSA is that it's not the US and most noticeably the link with Britain. As their sense of a separate identity grows the link with the monarchy is likely to be stronger than the link with Britain.

Steve
Most Canadians don't know that the Queen is their Head of State. I don't see why it would be different here. OTL US and Canadian culture are more similar than Southern and "Yankee" culture anyways, so Southerners have more to differentiate.

Also, since there's no Missouri Compromise ITTL I expect the term "Dixie" to be fully butterflied away.

Glen

I wonder just how different the two flavours will be. I mean yes, obviously there will be differences and some will be major, but both states are going to have the same essential elements: the same terrain in places, the same native Americans on the land who may cause trouble (admittedly the level of tension and warfare with these is likely to be one of the defining features). But I don't wonder if, in the early days at least, the idea of Sheriffs, posses, bandit gangs and shootouts won't be fairly similar both sides of the border - not to mention that there's not that much about being an actual cowboy that can change with which side of the border you live on, so when cowboys become idolised and mythified when the frontier becomes "safe" (whenever that is for both states) presumably both countries will have the same phenomenon of important or affluent persons travelling to spend a year as a cowboy and experience the life. If we think about the spaghetti western films, it could be that a Magnificent Seven type film wouldn't really be produced any differently by Southern or Northern Americans.

Of course, I am open to correction, and I'd be very interested to hear just what factors there are which will be different.

Well, there will be differences in stock characters, weather, emphasis of certain iconic traits, etc. However, the similarities will also be striking.

It's kind of funny, but if you showed 'Westerns' from the DSA and this USA to an OTL American, the American probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless told ahead of time what to look for (except for the obvious ones, like when a camel shows up, or a French speaking Metis), but viewers from the DSA or the USA would have a fairly easy time.

I will try to weave in some of those differences to the entries as the timeline progresses.

Glen

Not to mention the fact that DSA Desperados have can make a run for either Old Mexico or the Old Republic!

Glen

Doms, Dominees ?? I wonder if the Americans are going to keep Yankees as a nickname ITTL.

Yankees and Yanks are definitely nicknames for Americans. Southerner or Southron are often used for the citizens of the Dominion.

Glen

Maybe we see some widespread use of these terms?

For the record, I have no particular favouritism for these terms, and as a Brit I don't really know the full story of them, so if they're looked down upon, or through some subtlety, aren't suitable then do correct me. In fact I only came across the term by searching Wikipedia for US regional demonyms. But looking through the list of comparisons half way down that article, there are a number of similarities to the USA-DSA stereotypes that seem to ring some bells and make it seem legit here.

First, no one in America OTL even remembers those! Second they were essentially confined to Virginia from what I can tell. Third, those differences are actually far more reflective of the differences between different classes of Dominion Southerner than they are between the Union and the Dominion (ooh, that sounds like a cool title for something!).

Glen

DuQuense

Steve

Interesting thought. At the moment, the Loyalists are more associated with the Crown than the Dominion as a whole. This may change over time...

Glen

Most Canadians don't know that the Queen is their Head of State.

Really? I find that surprising.

I don't see why it would be different here. OTL US and Canadian culture are more similar than Southern and "Yankee" culture anyways, so Southerners have more to differentiate.

Quite likely, quite likely...

Also, since there's no Missouri Compromise ITTL I expect the term "Dixie" to be fully butterflied away.

Yep.

Well, so far European immigration remains abundant, and it's going to remain so for about a century. But I guess that this USA is going to become as industrialized as OTL, if not more (due to a more settled and developed Canada), and the DSA shall be somewhat (but not substantially) more so than OTL, so there shall continue to be rather less opportunity than OTL for Black immigration to the USA. So once European immigration starts to run dry
Remembre Immigration was still Increasing in 1914 when the war cut it off, so absent a Great War ITTL, Immigration should not run Dry till after the US passes anti Immigration laws.

Many trace the origins of the Royal Southern American Rangers to the Ranger troop first developed by the Austins to protect settlers coming to Texas. A group noted for toughness but uprightness in a land that could kill a man in a minute, the Rangers lost many a man to the army when Jackson led the Texans to battle in the Southern Civil War. However, there were those who remained to protect the western frontier, and they would make up the nucleus of a new force, commissioned by the Crown, to bring law to the wild frontiers in Texas and the territories governed from Texas, namely New Mexico and British California, and would even be called upon to help in remote western Arkansas. The RSAR became an emblem of the Dominion's west.

These guys sound an awful lot like the Royal Northwest Mounted Police of OTL.