Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

640px-4October1944.jpg

American Forces Capture Greenland from Malthusian Scandinavia​

The North Atlantic Passage was a vital lifeline between the United States & Dominion and the British Empire. Straddling that passage were the enemy territories of Scandinavian Greenland and Iceland. The first Scandinavian territory to fall in the Population War was Greenland to American Forces. Shortly thereafter British Forces landed in Iceland and occupied that part of the Scandinavian Empire. With these two critical islands in League hands, it became much easier to keep the convoys of supplies from North America flowing to the British Isles.

British Forces Occupy Scandinavian Iceland
IBC_US_Army_Troops_Arriving_In_Reykjavik_January_1942.jpg

Glen

Human League
United States of America
Dominion of Southern America
Anti-Malthusian Mexico
Pro-British Moskito
United Provinces of South America
Bahia
British Empire
Portuguese Empire
Sultanate of Morocco
Ethiopian Empire
Kongo
Pro-League Madagascar
Loyalist Southern Africa
Loyalist German Empire
Kingdom of Italy
Roman Republic
Empire of Austria-Bohemia
Empire of Prussia-Poland
Kingdom of Hellas
Kingdom of Wallachia-Moldavia
Russian Empire
Persian Empire
Trucial Sheikhdoms
Mahra Sultanate
Durrani Empire
Kingdom of Gurkha
Empire of Manchuria
Empire of Siam
Sultanate of Brunei
Ezochi
Empire of Japan
Dominion of the British Australias

Glen

Malthusian Manifesto
Malthusian Mexico
New Granada
Confederation of the Equator
Brazil
Republic of Rio Grande do Sul
Scandinavian Empire
Pro-Malthusian German Empire
Dutch Empire
Kingdom of Belgique
Second Republic of France
Switzerland
Spanish Empire
Kingdom of Naples
Kingdom of Sicily
Republic of Hungary
Ottoman Empire
Muscat Sultanate
Pro-Malthusian Madagascar
Pro-Malthusian Southern Africans
United Nationalities of India
Chuen China
Joseon Empire of Korea

Last edited:

Glen

T-26_%28Battle_of_Moscow%29.jpg

The Population War saw the rapid deployment and evolution of the successor to the venerable Armored Steam Tractor, the ICE Rhino. ICE Rhinos were predominantly heavy petrol armored vehicles with a rotating turret for the main armament (the 'horn' of the Rhino). The combination of the use of ICE Rhinos and the ICEwings in combat ensured from the beginning that the Population War was one of speed and maneuver. While there was some slowing with the initial introduction of chemical warfare to the front lines, especially in the Western European Theatre, ICE Rhinos were quickly equipped with air-scrubbing systems to neutralize the threat (the protective clothes for infantry followed as well though was not as successful, and many a trooper blessed his 'Auntie Atty' Atropine against the nerve agents employed as the war progressed), and of course they had no impact on the war of the air.

Scandinavia sided with the Malthusians? Nooooo - they were doing so well before this too!

Shame the UK took Iceland though - a US that had a State of Iceland would be interesting.

Not yet - anyone want to take a stab at it based off of the 20th century attempts?

Here are 5 mock ups I have for the flag of the Dominion of Southern America. The Yorkshire Rose is meant to symbolize the Magnolia, a classic symbol of the South.

DSA1.svg.png

This first one is more of a classic UK Dominion style, combining the Loyalist Coronet, Palm Trees, and a Magnolia

DSA2.svg.png

The second one is more of a modern take, the Loyalist Coronet and Magnolia representing the South, and the two blue bars standing for loyalty in two separate conflicts (American Revolution and the Slaver Revolt).

DSA3.svg.png

The same of the second one, just in color

DSA4.svg.png

This one takes the classical Dominion 'ensign defaced with seal' motif and uses the symbol from the more modern take.

DSA5.svg.png

Same as the fourth flag, just in all white.

Glen

Here are 5 mock ups I have for the flag of the Dominion of Southern America. The Yorkshire Rose is meant to symbolize the Magnolia, a classic symbol of the South.

View attachment 280272
This first one is more of a classic UK Dominion style, combining the Loyalist Coronet, Palm Trees, and a Magnolia

View attachment 280273
The second one is more of a modern take, the Loyalist Coronet and Magnolia representing the South, and the two blue bars standing for loyalty in two separate conflicts (American Revolution and the Slaver Revolt).

View attachment 280274
The same of the second one, just in color

View attachment 280275
This one takes the classical Dominion 'ensign defaced with seal' motif and uses the symbol from the more modern take.

View attachment 280276
Same as the fourth flag, just in all white.
Really appreciate the hard work.

In this era, I imagine that the DSA coat of arms would be on the flag. The supporters are an alligator and a shark, sort of like this:
Solomonislands.jpg

The Loyalist Coronet would be prominently on the coat of arms but recall it has palm fronds ITTL not maple leaves, which this earlier flag attempts (albeit badly on my part):
1920s-dsa-flag-png.212021

The leaf is so Canadian. :p

That's because that's the ACTUAL Loyalist Coronet. And I was too lazy to edit it

Really appreciate the hard work.

In this era, I imagine that the DSA coat of arms would be on the flag. The supporters are an alligator and a shark, sort of like this:

The Loyalist Coronet would be prominently on the coat of arms but recall it has palm fronds ITTL not maple leaves, which this earlier flag attempts (albeit badly on my part):

Alright here is attempt two with some meh palm leaves I designed. And the Coat of Arms itself

DSA1.svg.png

DSA2.svg.png

DSA3.svg.png

DSA4.svg.png

DSA5.svg.png

DSA6.svg.png

Coat_of_arms_of_the_Solomon_Islands.svg.png

Last edited:

Glen

That's because that's the ACTUAL Loyalist Coronet. And I was too lazy to edit it

Alright here is attempt two with some meh palm leaves I designed. And the Coat of Arms itself

WOW! Overall love what you've done here with all the flags - I think the most likely flag for this era would be the first one with your coat of arms on the Red Ensign (but I can see some variant of one of the others being adopted in future so hold on to them). Can you explain in more detail about the actual estachion and the motto choice? Loyalty * Truth is very good though somehow I imagine more Loyalty * Honor for the Southrons.

WOW! Overall love what you've done here with all the flags - I think the most likely flag for this era would be the first one with your coat of arms on the Red Ensign (but I can see some variant of one of the others being adopted in future so hold on to them). Can you explain in more detail about the actual estachion and the motto choice? Loyalty * Truth is very good though somehow I imagine more Loyalty * Honor for the Southrons.

Well for the escutcheon, I modified the Royal Arms of the United Kingdom during the time of the Dominion's foundation. I moved Ireland to sinister chief to impale it with the fleur-de-lis of the old English Arms in order to make space at the bottom, but in truth this would symbolize how the UK as an entire entity (England, Scotland, and Ireland) are from where the Dominion is descended from. The Palmetto argent on a field azure symbolizes the Dominion of Southern America as under the rule of the British Crown, with the Arms of Hanover at sinister base being the completion of all the nations under the rule of the British Royal Family. The magnolia at fess point completes that this is the arms of the Dominion, the native flower symbolizing the nation now being put at forefront for ownership of the arms.

The motto is in reference to Loyalty being the "True" path. I could alter it to say Honor if you like, but in my mind it is that they stayed "true to the Crown"

Glen

I wonder how well the Dominion and the US get along currently? Since they do share a rather large border with each other.

Overall they get on about as well as the OTL US and Canada - both sides make jokes about the other, but there is also a feeling of friendship across the border - their border is mostly an interface of trade rather than a barrier. The Yanks see the Shark-Eaters of the South as hot blooded, exotic, with great food and music. The Southrons see the Yanks as industrious and friendly for a bunch of near-atheists.

Glen

Well for the escutcheon, I modified the Royal Arms of the United Kingdom during the time of the Dominion's foundation. I moved Ireland to sinister chief to impale it with the fleur-de-lis of the old English Arms in order to make space at the bottom, but in truth this would symbolize how the UK as an entire entity (England, Scotland, and Ireland) are from where the Dominion is descended from. The Palmetto argent on a field azure symbolizes the Dominion of Southern America as under the rule of the British Crown, with the Arms of Hanover at sinister base being the completion of all the nations under the rule of the British Royal Family. The magnolia at fess point completes that this is the arms of the Dominion, the native flower symbolizing the nation now being put at forefront for ownership of the arms.

The motto is in reference to Loyalty being the "True" path. I could alter it to say Honor if you like, but in my mind it is that they stayed "true to the Crown"

Ooops - saw something - the Union Jack in the left upper corner should include the Cross of St Patrick - the Union Jack ITTL is essentially like OTL.

I like the colorized 'Red Ensign defaced with Magnolia' for the Dominion evolving into the colorized 'two blue bars defaced with Magnolia' myself. Excellent work, Xanthoc!

Ooops - saw something - the Union Jack in the left upper corner should include the Cross of St Patrick - the Union Jack ITTL is essentially like OTL.

Fixed!

I like the colorized 'Red Ensign defaced with Magnolia' for the Dominion evolving into the colorized 'two blue bars defaced with Magnolia' myself. Excellent work, Xanthoc!

Why thank you! Personally I like the Red Ensign with the Coat of Arms evolving into the colorized Magnolia betwixt bars myself