Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Some crafty US entrepreneurs have snuck south of the border and illegally built canals there as well I see ;)

No, the South is building a few as well. They have their own crafty entrepreneurs, they don't need any damnyankees for that!;)

Glen

While the State of Maine had shared a border with the State of Nova Scotia for a long time as part of the State of Massachusetts, it soon discovered as an independent state that there was still some controversy over it's Northern border.

While the border with the State of Quebec was somewhat blurry, it was at least well defined from colonial times as the continental divide between the waters flowing into the St Lawrence (part of Quebec) and those flowing into the Atlantic (Maine and Nova Scotia). At first glance, the traditional border between Maine and Nova Scotia, the Penobscot River, would seem even more clear-cut, and indeed in the south it was.

However, the Penobscot split mid-way into two major branches, the Eastern and Western branches of the Penobscot. Adding further confusion to the issue, Maine at first claimed the Mattawamkeag River as a continuation of the Penobscot as well and insisted that that was the border to its headwaters, then a line straight north to Quebec. Nova Scotia, of course, insisted that the border should follow the Western Branch of the Penobscot River. While there was significant bickering over this, eventually reason won out, and the border was formalized as following the Eastern Branch to its headwaters, and then a line due north to the Quebec border.

Maine.png

Thanks, Hawkeye! Anything in particular that catches your interest?

Well, I like what seems to be happening in Latin America for now but I also feel like I have to disagree with you about it. But I'm no expert on South and Central America. Other then that, awesome.

Glen

The Mexican Revolution depopulated further the already sparsely populated region of Texas. Therefore, in 1816, the Revolutionary government extended the offer of land grants to empresarios, foreigners who could bring in settlers to the area (hopefully either already Catholic or willing to convert).

Empresarios from both the United States and the British Southern Provinces answered the challenge. Prominent early empresarios included Moses Austin, Andrew Jackson, Jonathan Clegg Jr., and John Brown

American Empresarios Austin and Jackson:

Moses_Austin.jpg
Andrew_Jackson.jpg

Well, you don't have to comment! What is it that you feel like disagreeing with?

Nothing to do with Mexico. Just things about the long term survivability of New Granada or how Argentina can just swoop in and annex Peru and Chile.

Glen

Sounds like its going to be explosive in Tejas. A mix of British loyalists and Americans means that any rebellion is likely to suffer from serious factional fighting. Would expect that the bulk of the immigrants will come from the British area, both because their nearer and the US has so much land to expand into anyway.

The two loyalists you mention are getting pretty long in the tooth by now. Also since we have a successful British holding of the south I would have thought Brown especially would have been happy peacefully enjoying the lands he had defended. Could also be a useful champion for the 5 nations. However expect to see a lot of their descendants looking for new territory to settle and develop.

Steve

Glen

Nothing to do with Mexico.

Noted.

Just things about the long term survivability of New Granada

Which remains to be seen.:)

or how Argentina can just swoop in and annex Peru and Chile.

Well, actually Argentina didn't, it's precursor did. And the key is that ITTL, San Martin is convinced for the good of the nation to take on a Washingtonian type of position. It is under San Martin that they are all brought together.

IOTL, San Martin was appointed Governor of Chile, which he immediately resigned. ITTL he is convinced (reluctantly) to accept. IOTL he was voted Protector of Peru, but again resigned shortly thereafter, here he has already been convinced of the importance of his leadership in holding together the democratic states of South America. Under his leadership, he pulls all these states together as part of the United Province of South America, which he is chosen to be Supreme Director of at that point. This is all happening a bit earlier and a bit differently than OTL, but you can see the potential was always there, if only San Martin would serve. He is the Washington of South America.

Hmm, that's some good stuff...I'll edit it and add it as background to the post.

Now then, we'll see how long that lasts once he's gone....

Glen

how different was lil andy jacksons ARW experiences? Did he go north before going west?

Not very different at all, except that the Carolinas stay in the loyalist camp, so as a Patriot he immigrates to Kentucky. So yes, he goes North before going West. There will be more on this in future posts.:)

Glen

Glen

Sounds like its going to be explosive in Tejas.

Yes, it does rather, doesn't it?

A mix of British loyalists and Americans means that any rebellion is likely to suffer from serious factional fighting.

Yes, as did OTL Texas between those who favored annexation to those who favored full independence.

Would expect that the bulk of the immigrants will come from the British area, both because their nearer and the US has so much land to expand into anyway.

As would I, as would I....

The two loyalists you mention are getting pretty long in the tooth by now.

Compare carefully the names I listed and the names in the wikipedia posts they go to. These are ATL descendants of those loyalists (a grandchild and a child), not those men. I noticed the age issue as well, so that's how I get around it.:D

Also since we have a successful British holding of the south I would have thought Brown especially would have been happy peacefully enjoying the lands he had defended.

Yep, Thomas Brown is a wealthy and influential planter in Georgia ITTL, the empresario is his adventurous ATL son, John Brown.

Could also be a useful champion for the 5 nations.

What makes you think that?

However expect to see a lot of their descendants looking for new territory to settle and develop.

Steve

Which is why both the Southerners listed as empresarios are actually descendants of ARW loyalists, not the loyalists themselves.

Which remains to be seen.:)

Hmm intriguing.

Well, actually Argentina didn't, it's precursor did. And the key is that ITTL, San Martin is convinced for the good of the nation to take on a Washingtonian type of position. It is under San Martin that they are all brought together.

IOTL, San Martin was appointed Governor of Chile, which he immediately resigned. ITTL he is convinced (reluctantly) to accept. IOTL he was voted Protector of Peru, but again resigned shortly thereafter, here he has already been convinced of the importance of his leadership in holding together the democratic states of South America. Under his leadership, he pulls all these states together as part of the United Province of South America, which he is chosen to be Supreme Director of at that point. This is all happening a bit earlier and a bit differently than OTL, but you can see the potential was always there, if only San Martin would serve. He is the Washington of South America.

Hmm, that's some good stuff...I'll edit it and add it as background to the post.

Now then, we'll see how long that lasts once he's gone....

So I see. Here's hoping the UPSA will hold it together.

Compare carefully the names I listed and the names in the wikipedia posts they go to. These are ATL descendants of those loyalists (a grandchild and a child), not those men. I noticed the age issue as well, so that's how I get around it.:D

OK, thanks. Missed that.

Yep, Thomas Brown is a wealthy and influential planter in Georgia ITTL, the empresario is his adventurous ATL son, John Brown.

What makes you think that?

It mentioned him working with the Indians during the ARW and then when forced to leave Florida advising his Indian contacts to work with the Spanish to protect themselves against the Americans. As such, provided this isn't totally butterflied he has at least some experience of working with the local Indians and an awareness of their situation.

Steve