Does Truman get re-elected after an atomic Operation Downfall?

Rivercat893

Banned
Would Dewey win in 1948 ITTL? Or someone else entirely?
What do you mean by atomic? As in the bomb or a disastrous Operation Downfall? If it's the latter then I doubt it would go wrong since Japan is already pretty much weakened at this point and the United States had all the advantages. So it wouldn't really bolster Thomas Dewey's chances of winning the 1948 presidential election.

joseph34

Banned
By "atomic" I mean any scenario in which the US military uses atomic bombs as a tactical device against the Japanese home islands. I know different people on this forum have different interpretations of how Downfall would have happened. That's why I am keeping it just vague enough to accommodate multiple interpretations, albeit not all of them. Not the variations of Downfall which are based on PoDs where the atomic bombs don't work, for instance.

Last edited:
If for some reason expanded US use of the bomb in the invasion leads to the USSR being able to gather enough information to build their own quicker, that could affect Truman's chances in 1948. Lets say after a bloody invasion with tens of thousands of US dead, Truman rapidly downsizes the US army even more than OTL because the public is tired of war. Then in the fall of 1948, the Soviets successfully test their first bomb. That would likely shock the public enough to keep the late deciders from voting Truman (they're who won it for him OTL)

So we’re assuming that Hiroshima and Nagasaki and USSR declaration don’t lead to a surrender and downfall occurs? Then yes Japan surrenders sometime in 1946. Probably about half a million American soldiers at least are killed but Truman would still be seen as the president that ended ww2. I