DJ's Redividing thread

I have this weird hobby where I like to redesign the provinces/states/internal boundaries of countries, and I figured some of you guys may like some of the dumb things I do, so I may as well make them public.

I'll start with Canada, as I find the population distribution between the provinces in severe need of a balance patch (Seriously Canadians how tf do you deal with that). So I'll divide Canada into 16, roughly equal, provinces, because 16 is a nice number (and a power of 2)

the population per province I'm shooting for here is about 2.2 Million

To start off on a good foot, here is province #1 Acadia (made up of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, Bas Saint Laurent, and Gaspesie-Iles de la Madeline)
Population: ~2.1 Million
Acadia.PNG

The basemap is the 8K Bam

I have this weird hobby where I like to redesign the provinces/states/internal boundaries of countries, and I figured some of you guys may like some of the dumb things I do, so I may as well make them public.

I'll start with Canada, as I find the population distribution between the provinces in severe need of a balance patch (Seriously Canadians how tf do you deal with that). So I'll divide Canada into 16, roughly equal, provinces, because 16 is a nice number (and a power of 2)

the population per province I'm shooting for here is about 2.2 Million

To start off on a good foot, here is province #1 Acadia (made up of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, Bas Saint Laurent, and Gaspesie-Iles de la Madeline)
Population: ~2.1 Million
View attachment 537891
The basemap is the 8K Bam
something about this is cursed

something about this is cursed

I do love making cursed things

Anyway, here is some more 3 NEW PROVINCES for you all

The light blue province is Quebec Proper (Estrie, Capitale Nationale, Centre, Maurice, and half of lanaudiere)
The Green Province is Monteregie (Monteregie and the other half of Lanaudiere)
The Yellow Province is Montreal (Montreal and Laval)

St.LaurentRiverProvinces.PNG

Well bois, Here is round 3.

The one that is on the Quebec/Ontario border is Ottawa
Then, heading down Lake Ontario from there are
Ontario
Toronto
York

and Niagara
Finally, the southernmost province is Erie

I
have plans for the next two provinces, One will be the Territories, NFL, northern Quebec, and the northern prairies most likely, but I'm not sure on the specific borders
The other is the remainder of Ontario (concrete) and some, currently undefined portion of Manitoba
Ontario.PNG

10 Provinces out of 16 Provinces so far finished, 2 partially defined, and only 4 fully remain

Last edited:
And here we are, all 16 Provinces, all at about 2.2 million, give or take a few 100K

Acadia (The maritimes and Gaspe)
Quebec (The area around central Quebec)
Monteregie (the part of Quebec next to Lake Ontario) Champagne! idk how I mixed them up
Montreal(The cities of Montreal and Laval)

Ottawa(The area around the city of Ottawa)
Ontario(The mid sized province on lake Ontario)
Toronto (The city of Toronto)
York(Right next to Toronto)
Niagara(The only one with access to 3 of the great lakes)
Erie (The province that borders Michigan)
Salteaux (North Ontario and much of Manitoba)
Assiniboia (Much of the plains provinces)
Alberta (The most densly populated area of Alberta)
New Caledonia (Most of BC)
Vancouver (The city of Vancouver)
Great North (NFL, North Quebec, the territories, and the northern areas of the western provinces)
16REPCanada.png

You may need to zoom in to see the smaller provinces, but to any actual Canadians, how would the provincial politics work here?
I imagine French politics are different due to have 3 and 2 halves provinces, and having a majority native province in the north would also be odd but idk

Last edited:
Minor problem-you went from a homogenous French province and several relatively-homogenous Native Territories to a likely barely-majority Native province with a significant white minority. That minority would be itself divided between English and French and geographically disconnected, and the French are split into 3 Provinces, complicating any independence, not to mention the tension created between English and French within and over the Half-Provinces, which would spill over into national politics.

Even looking from the southern border, I can see this would create chaos provincially and nationally.

Other than that, the map looks great though.

Minor problem-you went from a homogenous French province and several relatively-homogenous Native Territories to a likely barely-majority Native province with a significant white minority. That minority would be itself divided between English and French and geographically disconnected, and the French are split into 3 Provinces, complicating any independence, not to mention the tension created between English and French within and over the Half-Provinces, which would spill over into national politics.

Even looking from the southern border, I can see this would create chaos provincially and nationally.

Other than that, the map looks great though.

yeah, Acadia, Ottawa, and Great North all sound awful to be politicians in
but that's the fun of it, imagining the horrible repercussions of my shitty plans actually coming to fruition

Imaging the logistics and politics of Great North especially makes my stomach turn

I couldn't find good population data for the Subdivisions of Australia online, so I don't want to do it just yet.

Any suggestions for what countries' subdivisions I should brutalize next?

I did a little sketch of splitting Spain in 10, I didn't put much effort into it.

I did no math with Madrid and Barcelona, and just guessed what would be about 4.5 Million, but other than that I don't think it is too bad.

In terms of what to call the Provinces,
Barcelona: you can guess
March: The rest of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands
Vasconia: The Basque Areas, Aragon, and Castellon
Valencia: The rest of Valencia
idk what to call the big one in the south
Granada: Southern Andalusia
Seville-Canaries: Exactly what it says on the tin
Castile-Extremadura: Much of Castile-Leon and Extremadura
Madrid: The surrounded one
Cantabria: Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, and Leon

SpainIn10.PNG

And here we are, all 16 Provinces, all at about 2.2 million, give or take a few 100K

Monteregie (the part of Quebec next to Lake Ontario) Champagne! idk how I mixed them up

Great North (NFL, North Quebec, the territories, and the northern areas of the western provinces)

You may need to zoom in to see the smaller provinces, but to any actual Canadians, how would the provincial politics work here?
I imagine French politics are different due to have 3 and 2 halves provinces, and having a majority native province in the north would also be odd but idk
After seeing the map of Ontario, this one just hit me like a ton of bricks.

View attachment 538074

I love the idea, the effort, and the map, but as a local to Erie/Niagara, I can tell you the boundaries make no sense.

The Hamilton-Wentworth, Niagara, Waterloo, Wellington, Haldimand-Norfolk and Brant Counties should be pretty close to 2.2 million; leaving Lambton, Essex, Kent, Middlesex, Elgin, Huron, Oxford, Bruce, and Perth (Perth and Oxford could probably go either way).

The western one should be called Huronia.

So yeah, haven't done very much with this thread in a while.

May as well change that!

Coming up (if I don't lose motivation again) The United States of Europe

Europe, Split into 50 states, 5 Territories, and one Federal District with the same population distribution as their American Counterparts!

Firstly, for the Capital, the closest cities to D.C. proportionally are Barcelona and Munich, and I went with Barcelona because it is closer to the Atlantic

Then for the Territories:
The Northern Isles Territory, Consisting of the Faroes, Shetlands, Orkney, Svalbard, Novaya Zemlya, and Franz Josef's Land (Northern Mariana Islands)
The Iceland Territory (Guam)
The U.S. Ionian Islands (U.S. Virgin Islands)
The Dodecanese Islands Territory (American Samoa)
and the Mediterranean Islands Territory, Consisting of Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, and Malta (Puerto Rico)

NIT: Tórshavn
Iceland: Reykjavík
Ionian Islands: Kérkyra
Dodecanese: Ródos
Mediterranean Islands: Palermo
Federal Capital: Barcelona
USEWIP1.png

Last edited:
And Extra Bonus Content, Flags!
I made them for the all 5 Territories

Flag of the Territory of the Dodecanese Islands
Dodecanese Territory.png

Same Colors as the Greek flag, but with 12 stripes, for the 12 islands

Flag of the Iceland Territory
Iceland Territory Flag.png

It's the Iceland flag that we all know and love, but with its aspect ratio brought down to 3:2 (I want to make every flag 3:2 because I like standardized aspect ratios)

Flag of the Ionian Islands Territory
Ionian Islands Territory.png

The flag of the Septinsular Republic, not much else to say here

Flag of the Northern Isles Territory
Northern Isles Territory Flag.png

Based on the Flag of the Faroe Islands, black in the middle to symbolize the Midnight Sun, and the white field to symbolize the Midday Moon
The blue represents the Sea (Taken from the flag of Novaya Zemlya )

Flag of the Mediterranean Islands Territory
Mediterranean Islands Territory Flag.png

Based on the Flag of Puerto Rico, and with the colors of the EU flag
The 4 stripes symbolize the 4 main islands (Sardinia, Corsica, Sicily, and Malta)
That bit on the left was meant to be a four pointed star, but I was messing around with other designs and really liked this one, so i kept it

More coming soon!