Different inflow of precious metals in early Modern Europe and China

Hi, I need help from someone with economical knowledge.

I know that similar questions have been discussed before, but my question is related to an scenario I'm thinking about.
I'm starting to work in a scenario whose main POD is a different outcome in the castilian War of the Comunidades. Due to the importance of Castille in the construction of the Habsburg empire, a redifiniton of the relations between the souvereign (Charles V in this case) and his castilian subjects, plus the socio-economical changes that a triumphant urban and commoner revolt (revolution?) would produce in the castilian heartlands, there would be widespread butterflies, and regarding that matter, important differences in the colonization and exploitation of the Americas. Furthermore, without the implication in the imperial affairs and Italy seen in OTL, Castille* wouldn't become OTL credit beggar and wouldn't need to manipulate his currency at the same extent than in OTL (I guess), thus a more important part of the american silver and gold would stay in the iberian kingdom instead flowing to the credit lenders of Italy, Germany and the Low Countries (and Seville).

So, the key points are:

1. A slowed castilian consolidation in the Americas and probably a slighty different model of colonization, though I should think more about the latter.

2. Less of those yet lessened american resources flowing out of Castille to the european financial markets. Therefore, the spanish role as "transmission belt" of the american surplus to the european economical centers will be greatly mitigated.

Of course, a slowed castilian expansion in the New World could be profited in the medium term by other atlantic powers, but by 1520 I think that Castille was yet in postion to finally grab what would be the core of the overseas empire in OTL (They were firmly established in the Antilles, the Aztec empire was being conquered by Cortés at the time and Magellan was in the sea, though a castilian conquest of the Philipines in TTL is arguable), so the competition would be only in the peripherial regions. And, the most important thing to my question, the main silver sources would be still under castilian control, so other powers couldn't exploit them. However, the conquest of the Tawantinsuyu may or may not be delayed (I'd also appreciate suggerences about this. I assume a diferent conquest if it's delayed enough due to the development of the political conflicts inside the andean empire). I have concluded that the only way to make possible a comunero success is through a longer conflict than in OTL, followed by a period of certain political inestability and nasty repression, and that also should affect and delay the consolditaion and organization of the american conquests.

I would like to be more precise, but the idea is still maturing, so I can't figure exact numbers and dates. But let's say that the the precious metals inflow from the Americas is delayed. So, let's say that the exploitation of the Potosí and other peruvian mines is delayed about 25 years. For Zacatecas and other mexican mines, let's say 15 years. In the case of Potosí anything is possible, taking into account that it was discovered thanks to a lot of luck, and besides that the date of the conquest of the Inca empire obviously would be a key fact to start speculating. Regarding Zacatecas and San Luís Potosí (which obviously will stay San Luis Mesquitique in TTL), I assume that political conflictivity in Castille slows the affluence of colonists and the exploration of the territory, so I think that 15 years are a feasible margin to work with. I know that these are very arbitrary choices.

I have attached the famous Hamilton's table about the correlation between production of Silver and prices in Castile as reference (OTL)

Now, to take into account in the alternative scenario:

A) With the assumed dates, Potosí would start its production by 1570. Oruro started its production in 1601 in OTL. I don't know if the date would be delayed in TTL, but to make it easy, let's assume that the curve of alto-peruvian production is only delayed in time but doesn't change it's shape. Zacatecas would start its production about 1562, and San Luís Mesquitique about 1610.

C) In OTL, during its peak, peruvian production was highly superior to the mexican one, reaching the 90% of the silver production in the spanish empire. It shouldn't be different in TTL with the obvious exception of the dates of production.

D) The most problematic element in the equation, to my understanding: I guess that with the mentioned problems in the metropoli and the lower affluence of colonists, the silver production would not only be delayed but also decreased, at least during its first steps. Though the manpower was composed mainly by indigineous people, the investors were castilian particulars and the castilian crown. But I don't know how stimate the effect of these changes.

That said, my questions:

What are the effects in the development of the early capitalism? It's delayed? It's only delayed or can we espect major changes? And the same regarding inflation. If the growth of the silver inflow is decreased enough (see D) can the european economies suffer less stress and adapt differently to the new situation? And the most important, what am I missing?

On the other hand, we have China. It's stimated that between 1/3 and 1/2 (my sources diverge) of the american silver didn't flowed to Europe but to China. In the mid XVth century, traders from southern China adopted a sort of silver standard to fight their own problems with the hyper-inflation of the chinese paper money. As consequence, the chinese demand of Silver skyrocketed and latter attracted the interest of the europeans, who exchanged it for gold, silk, spices and other goods. The Manilla Galleon played a key role in these exchanges for the spanish empire. With a delayed explosion of the american silver production, as we say, and probably a more dificult position for Castille in the Pacific, what could be the effects in the chinese affairs? If I'm not wrong, the decreasing in the supply of silver in the early XVIIth century played an important role in the fall of the Ming dinasty. A latter explosion in the american production would accelerate their fall? Or, on the contrary, could save them? How do you think the early asian-european trade would be affected? Can the portuguese enlarge their profits in the asian markets in this scenario?

*The spanish personal union as we know it probably will be disolved in TTL.

Thanks for your attention.

Translation of the graphic's key: Precios-Vellón = Prices in Billon
Precios-Plata = Prices in silver
Producción plata = Silver production

plata-precios.JPG

Hi, I need help from someone with economical knowledge.

I know that similar questions have been discussed before, but my question is related to an scenario I'm thinking about.
I'm starting to work in a scenario whose main POD is a different outcome in the castilian War of the Comunidades. Due to the importance of Castille in the construction of the Habsburg empire, a redifiniton of the relations between the souvereign (Charles V in this case) and his castilian subjects, plus the socio-economical changes that a triumphant urban and commoner revolt (revolution?) would produce in the castilian heartlands, there would be widespread butterflies, and regarding that matter, important differences in the colonization and exploitation of the Americas. Furthermore, without the implication in the imperial affairs and Italy seen in OTL, Castille* wouldn't become OTL credit beggar and wouldn't need to manipulate his currency at the same extent than in OTL (I guess), thus a more important part of the american silver and gold would stay in the iberian kingdom instead flowing to the credit lenders of Italy, Germany and the Low Countries (and Seville).

So, the key points are:

1. A slowed castilian consolidation in the Americas and probably a slighty different model of colonization, though I should think more about the latter.

2. Less of those yet lessened american resources flowing out of Castille to the european financial markets. Therefore, the spanish role as "transmission belt" of the american surplus to the european economical centers will be greatly mitigated.

Of course, a slowed castilian expansion in the New World could be profited in the medium term by other atlantic powers, but by 1520 I think that Castille was yet in postion to finally grab what would be the core of the overseas empire in OTL (They were firmly established in the Antilles, the Aztec empire was being conquered by Cortés at the time and Magellan was in the sea, though a castilian conquest of the Philipines in TTL is arguable), so the competition would be only in the peripherial regions. And, the most important thing to my question, the main silver sources would be still under castilian control, so other powers couldn't exploit them. However, the conquest of the Tawantinsuyu may or may not be delayed (I'd also appreciate suggerences about this. I assume a diferent conquest if it's delayed enough due to the development of the political conflicts inside the andean empire). I have concluded that the only way to make possible a comunero success is through a longer conflict than in OTL, followed by a period of certain political inestability and nasty repression, and that also should affect and delay the consolditaion and organization of the american conquests.

I would like to be more precise, but the idea is still maturing, so I can't figure exact numbers and dates. But let's say that the the precious metals inflow from the Americas is delayed. So, let's say that the exploitation of the Potosí and other peruvian mines is delayed about 25 years. For Zacatecas and other mexican mines, let's say 15 years. In the case of Potosí anything is possible, taking into account that it was discovered thanks to a lot of luck, and besides that the date of the conquest of the Inca empire obviously would be a key fact to start speculating. Regarding Zacatecas and San Luís Potosí (which obviously will stay San Luis Mesquitique in TTL), I assume that political conflictivity in Castille slows the affluence of colonists and the exploration of the territory, so I think that 15 years are a feasible margin to work with. I know that these are very arbitrary choices.

I have attached the famous Hamilton's table about the correlation between production of Silver and prices in Castile as reference (OTL)

Now, to take into account in the alternative scenario:

A) With the assumed dates, Potosí would start its production by 1570. Oruro started its production in 1601 in OTL. I don't know if the date would be delayed in TTL, but to make it easy, let's assume that the curve of alto-peruvian production is only delayed in time but doesn't change it's shape. Zacatecas would start its production about 1562, and San Luís Mesquitique about 1610.

C) In OTL, during its peak, peruvian production was highly superior to the mexican one, reaching the 90% of the silver production in the spanish empire. It shouldn't be different in TTL with the obvious exception of the dates of production.

D) The most problematic element in the equation, to my understanding: I guess that with the mentioned problems in the metropoli and the lower affluence of colonists, the silver production would not only be delayed but also decreased, at least during its first steps. Though the manpower was composed mainly by indigineous people, the investors were castilian particulars and the castilian crown. But I don't know how stimate the effect of these changes.

That said, my questions:

What are the effects in the development of the early capitalism? It's delayed? It's only delayed or can we espect major changes? And the same regarding inflation. If the growth of the silver inflow is decreased enough (see D) can the european economies suffer less stress and adapt differently to the new situation? And the most important, what am I missing?

On the other hand, we have China. It's stimated that between 1/3 and 1/2 (my sources diverge) of the american silver didn't flowed to Europe but to China. In the mid XVth century, traders from southern China adopted a sort of silver standard to fight their own problems with the hyper-inflation of the chinese paper money. As consequence, the chinese demand of Silver skyrocketed and latter attracted the interest of the europeans, who exchanged it for gold, silk, spices and other goods. The Manilla Galleon played a key role in these exchanges for the spanish empire. With a delayed explosion of the american silver production, as we say, and probably a more dificult position for Castille in the Pacific, what could be the effects in the chinese affairs? If I'm not wrong, the decreasing in the supply of silver in the early XVIIth century played an important role in the fall of the Ming dinasty. A latter explosion in the american production would accelerate their fall? Or, on the contrary, could save them? How do you think the early asian-european trade would be affected? Can the portuguese enlarge their profits in the asian markets in this scenario?

*The spanish personal union as we know it probably will be disolved in TTL.

Thanks for your attention.

Translation of the graphic's key: Precios-Vellón = Prices in Billon
Precios-Plata = Prices in silver
Producción plata = Silver production

You just need for china to be interested in the new world...

Riain

Banned
There's a point. China and India soaked up huge amounts of American bullion in trade with Europe when they, particularly the Chinese, were more than capable of going to America and getting it direct.

Thanks for your responses.

The chinese in the New World doesn't seem very feasible in this scenario. The POD is in 1520, China had renounced to trans-oceanic adventures several decades before and the castilians were well positioned in the Americas. On the other hand, to take the american silver is not so easy. First of all, you need to know about its existence. It took for the spanish 26 years to discover Zacatecas since the conquest of the Aztec Empire and 12 years to discover Potosí after the fall of the Tawantinsuyu. San Luis Potosí and Oruro didn't start their production until the late XVIth century-early XVIIth century. It took even more time to reach full production in the main mines and, as you can see in the graphic I attached, about the 1620's production declined due to the demographic collapse in the Americas and the fluctuations in the silver value. Also, these mines, specially in the Alto Perú, are in remote areas with harsh conditions for non locals and far from the coasts. Furthermore, sources of mercury are as important as a silver ore to make truly profitable silver production, specially once the more pure veins are depleted. Huancavelica (1576) in Perú and Almadén (1565) in New Spain were the main sources. European mining technics, like the technic of amalgamation with mercury originally developed in the bohemian and hungarian mines snd the method of patio invented by Bartolomé Medina, were more advanced than chinese technics, thus the chinese couldn't have matched OTL spanish output even in the unlikely case they controled the sources unless they improved considerably their mining technics, and that means one more PoD.

By the way, another source of silver for the chinese was Japan, and if I'm not wrong, it was the main source for them until the european irruption. Their mines had a good yield, but they didn't introduced some of the european technics until the XVIIth century, through the spanish and portuguese. Furthermore, they had shortage of mercury but a good amount of plumb, also usefull to separate copper and silver but apparently less efficient, so japanese silver was less valuable in the asian markets than the american one. However their production declined about 1640.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the link. It's a very interesting debunking of the traditional thoughts. I'll have to read Maddison's work.

The poster in the linked forum also raises another interesting point:

Much more interesting I find the apparent continuing vitality of the Mediterranean trade. This should have made the Ottoman Empire a main profiteer of the disvovery of the New World, but I haven't seen this yet figuring prominently in any discussion of its economic history. Any takers?
Also, if Maddison is right, I guess that the effects of a delayed and lessened silver production in the Americas would be even deeper in the Europe and the Mediterranean. But there is something I don't understand here. If Japanese production grew in the early XVIIth (didn't it?) why Ming China suffered shortage of silver? Perhaps the demand grew faster than offer? Or Japanese production didn't grew? The silver supply is not so important in the fall of the Ming dinasty?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Don't forget this will strengthen the Ottomans. They had to debase the coinage at least once because of New World Silver to pay for their wars.

If Japanese production grew in the early XVIIth (didn't it?) why Ming China suffered shortage of silver? Perhaps the demand grew faster than offer? Or Japanese production didn't grew? The silver supply is not so important in the fall of the Ming dinasty?

The closing of Japan in 1639 did have an immediate effect on silver supply (Chinese and Dutch were allowed to trade through Nagasaki, but they did not promptly replace Portuguese). A few months later, riots in Manila closed the supply of silver through Philippines.

I read some where that while the exchange rate in 16th ~17 century Europe was 10s = 1g, in Japan it was 12 -1.
Take 50s buy 5g --Ship to Japan and sell for 60s. Rinse and Repeat.
Not much problem when talking about a sailors pay, But the Europeans where doing this in 100 ton lots.
One of the Reasons for Japan closing it's door in 1640.

Kings, Ministers, & Bankers, have been wrestling with this Exchange Rate problem ever since.

I read that when the King of Ghana when on Pilmage to Mecca in the 1100's He spend so much Gold that it took 200 years for the Inflationary Pressures to move from NAfrica thru Europe, and Stabilize.

While you may slow down the flow, There is no way that having this much unmonetized precious metal enter the money supply without major distortions.

Don't forget this will strengthen the Ottomans. They had to debase the coinage at least once because of New World Silver to pay for their wars.

I think the Ottomans will have a freer hand in this scenario, though I have not thought still very much about the details. Well, probably other powers also will can avoid inflationary problems in the short-term, perhaps with the exception of Castile. But as DuQuense says, the problems will appear anyway. If I'm interested in this aspect is because the ramifications seem a bit obscure from my ignorance. For example, as you say, probably the Ottomans won't have to debase their currency as in OTL (As I say, at least not in the same historical moment) But also, in the link provided by chornedsnorkack they suggest that maybe the Ottoman empire benefited from the american silver. So, even if they don't the debasing problem, OTOH what advantages could they lost in relation to OTL?

Anyway, as I say, probably TTL Castille, beside being "a bit" troubled, won't have the determination to support Aragonese mediterranean interests as much as in OTL and that would be at least an slight advantage to the Ottomans, I guess.

The closing of Japan in 1639 did have an immediate effect on silver supply (Chinese and Dutch were allowed to trade through Nagasaki, but they did not promptly replace Portuguese). A few months later, riots in Manila closed the supply of silver through Philippines.

Oh yes. I should have thought on that. Sorry for the stupid question.

I read some where that while the exchange rate in 16th ~17 century Europe was 10s = 1g, in Japan it was 12 -1.
Take 50s buy 5g --Ship to Japan and sell for 60s. Rinse and Repeat.
Not much problem when talking about a sailors pay, But the Europeans where doing this in 100 ton lots.
One of the Reasons for Japan closing it's door in 1640.

Kings, Ministers, & Bankers, have been wrestling with this Exchange Rate problem ever since.

I read that when the King of Ghana when on Pilmage to Mecca in the 1100's He spend so much Gold that it took 200 years for the Inflationary Pressures to move from NAfrica thru Europe, and Stabilize.

While you may slow down the flow, There is no way that having this much unmonetized precious metal enter the money supply without major distortions.

Yes, I assume that there will be distortions sooner or latter. But I can't figure how a different timing and distribution of the flow could affect these distortions. I mean, how different the distortions in the world economy would be in relation to OTL and specially the so-called prices revolution. For example, perhaps a slowed inflow of silver could provoke the bi-metalic change rate last in favour of silver during more time?

Thank you all three for your input. :)