Design an automatic rifle for WW2 in 1938

• Thread starter Deleted member 1487
  • Start date

marathag

Banned
They dump the magazine for a reason:
Having experience with the drums on the M1928, winding the drum isn't a problem, Finns and Russians had no issues with that, or the rounds rattle in the drum

But like the PPSh, Drums must be matched to the weapon, or they won't be reliable. Jam city.

But the main reason?
100 round drums, loaded, are Heavy

100 rounds of 45Auto is almost 5 pounds by themselves. How many of those rascals you expecting guys to hump around all day long, stored in a big steel can?

It's one thing to have some loaded while you're doing a drive-by shooting on another Family's Mooks in a V8 Ford, but dont forget the Tommy gun is around 10 pounds unloaded. it's a heavy beast to walk around with

Perhaps changing side drum belt containers and loading a belt into a machine gun might not be as simple as changing a box magazine (especially if one is also trying move quickly..) ?

It would be interesting to time how long it takes to change the side drum on say an MG42, vs remove the empty magazine on an FG42 and insert a new one. Given the US logistics situation one can probably assume that discarding empty magazines (to hopefully be retrieved later) would have been viable from time to time.

If the FG42 style weapon had a last round hold open, and a bolt release catch I suspect reloading could be very fast.. Hopefully it would be light enough so a strong solider could hold onto the weapon with his strong hand via the pistol grip and change magazines using his weak hand while moving on the battle field.

The side drum was issued so the gunners could have some ammo on the gun when moving rather than have a loose belt sloshing around dragging in the mud or picking up dirt and tripping the gunner up. In combat the drum came off asap and was replaced with a belt. 50 rounds would last less than 3 secs.

Constraints of this what if. Automatic rifles only.
Why, what is a Automatic Rifle if not an early heavy battle rifle or a early undeveloped lacking LMG......?

The problem is with hindsight its easy to drop the weight/cost or give it a high rate of sustained fire (better feeding or QC barrel) and both are almost certainly better but stop it being an Automatic Rifle?

The problem is the technology (apart from stamping?) isnt really hard to do they probably could have built mini14s if they have the design easily?

Last edited:
So a magazine fed LAD?
Might be better if it were a bit longer, say have a 30mm long case instead of 25. You could afford having a heavier bolt in a SAW type weapon.

I wonder if something like a 50 round magazine would work in it's case if the magazine was mounted like the Owen Gun.

That is what I am alluding to yes

I was looking at a COTS solution but the Lanchester SMG used 50 round mags to the side with out issue as far as I am aware - and if firing from the Bipod then it should not pose any stability issues (if any!)

I suppose if the pistol round in question is a hot loaded bottle necked cartridge, at some point a solution based on a up loaded pistol round will start to converge on the same performance level(s) as a solution based on a down loaded rifle round :) I will say I am bit skeptical about using pistol based cartridges at longer ranges in wind based on some time spent observing relatively hot 9x19 mm rounds hitting target back stops some distance from the targets at an outdoor range in high wind, but I suppose a well engineered solution could address this.

Well if we start to address all such issues then we end up with increasingly more powerful bullets and the 'Automatic Rifle' ultimately becomes a 10 kg LMG ;)

Tracer ammunition might resolve windage allowing the gun operator to correct at range.

Ah.
Didn't know what you meant by hot.

No worries I should have used better terminology

So out of a pistol 7.62 x 25 Takarov depending on ammo and weapon has a MV of between 1200-1800 FPS

A hot loading (more powerful propellant) out of a longer Barrel (325 mm for the ZK 383) should result in superior MV (I am guessing 2000-2200 MV?) and increased effective range.

A spitzer type round might also improve range characteristics?

Tommy gun style drum mag with 100 rnds.
That's the way to go.

To quote Edna Mode from the Incredible's

No Drum Magazines.png

PROS:

Large capacity

CONS:

Large
Heavy
Generally unreliable (the Suomi 72 round was excellent)
Not conducive to wartime mass production
More difficult / clunky to carry / load carrying equipment issues than stick magazines
Slower mag changes than stick mags - big problem if you get a stoppage that requires a mag removal or change
Slower to reload the magazines than stick mags
These last 2 are a particular issue in FIBUA / FISH (Fighting In Someones House) and other high intensity types of combat where the Soldier will want to have a fresh magazine for each room clearance lest he experiences the loudest sound on a battlefield - "CLICK"

Deleted member 1487

That sounds more like a cartridge that a select fire carbine might use than an automatic rifle circa 1938? I suspect the US Army circa 1938 is going to want a longer effective range and probably better penetration for an automatic rifle than such a cartridge would likely provide. Still it might be a nice round for a carbine. I could also see a select fire carbine (perhaps with a heavier barrel and a bi pod ?) filling a niche short range automatic carbine role. Maybe if the US Army also had a belt fed GPMG, that was suitable for squad level use (or also retained the BAR ?) they might see a role for a short range automatic carbine as a support weapon ?
Yes, it's more like a lower powered intermediate cartridge than a pistol or rifle cartridge. It was just mentioned as a potential option for a SAW like the 9mm SMG since OR showed that infantry combat ranges at the squad level were sub-300 yards in WW2 and Korea (less in Vietnam). In that case more ammo is better, so light weight, less heat producing, and faster is the best combo to achieve hits per the SALVO research program (and more lethal too per the ALCAD research program).

No doubt OTL US Army would want a battle rifle cartridge and a universally compatible one for all roles, but we're in thought experiment territory here.
The GPMG at the squad level was basically judged a bust by Germans and Brits during WW2 and the US during Vietnam. That brought us the StG44, EM-2, and M249 SAW instead.

As to your idea of a select fire carbine, they could have beefed up the M1 Carbine and necked the cartridge down to .22 caliber, though they'd probably want to lengthen the case, as the .22 Spitfire was a tad underpowered because it was such a thin case (a .19-20 cal version would be better suited to the case size), which restricted the powder capacity when necked down.
Here was an OTL effort to upgrade the M1 Carbine, no reason they couldn't have made a .22 version, though a .20 version would be a better match for the size of the case and powder load:
01152016-001.jpg

Having experience with the drums on the M1928, winding the drum isn't a problem, Finns and Russians had no issues with that, or the rounds rattle in the drum
You sure about that? The Soviets dumped the drum on the PPSH41 later in the war over reliability issues and the PPS43 only ran on stick mags.

But like the PPSh, Drums must be matched to the weapon, or they won't be reliable. Jam city.

But the main reason?

100 rounds of 45Auto is almost 5 pounds by themselves. How many of those rascals you expecting guys to hump around all day long, stored in a big steel can?

It's one thing to have some loaded while you're doing a drive-by shooting on another Family's Mooks in a V8 Ford, but dont forget the Tommy gun is around 10 pounds unloaded. it's a heavy beast to walk around with
That's a pretty good reason too.

Why, what is a Automatic Rifle if not an early heavy battle rifle or a early undeveloped lacking LMG......?
Open bolt heavy magazine fed weapon capable of greater sustained automatic (well burst at least) fire than even a heavy barreled rifle.
It would be a SAW rather than an LMG largely thanks to lack of a quick change barrel and the need for a 2nd crew member to operate at full capacity, while generally being lighter. The BAR failed in that by WW2, as the Bren was nearly as light as it, but basically an LMG.

The problem is with hindsight its easy to drop the weight/cost or give it a high rate of sustained fire (better feeding or QC barrel) and both are almost certainly better but stop it being an Automatic Rifle?
Yes, but adding more complexity in the feed system or by having a QC barrel increases weight and complexity in manufacture and operation. Certainly it improves certain categories of operation in the field, but at a cost, which generally includes increased weight, things that could go wrong, and cost, and manufacturing time and resources.

The problem is the technology (apart from stamping?) isnt really hard to do they probably could have built mini14s if they have the design easily?
Given what a nightmare it was to get the M14 to work apparently it wasn't as easy as you think to get that going. Even the FAL/FN-49/SLEM-1 took years to get working despite being started pre-WW2.
Since the US didn't use stampings in small arms in WW2 apparently it wasn't a move that thought was viable at the time, though the Germans did prove them wrong in that regard.
We'd need some serious changes in US small arms construction/design conceptions to go there.
Technically something like the FAMAS was viable at the time too, as John Pedersen invented that operating system and it was already used in Europe to some degree, but they never opted to try that out.

I was looking at a COTS solution but the Lanchester SMG used 50 round mags to the side with out issue as far as I am aware - and if firing from the Bipod then it should not pose any stability issues (if any!)
Sounds like we might have a decent option there even with the sight picture disrupted by the magazine and it sticking up so high.

So out of a pistol 7.62 x 25 Takarov depending on ammo and weapon has a MV of between 1200-1800 FPS

A hot loading (more powerful propellant) out of a longer Barrel (325 mm for the ZK 383) should result in superior MV (I am guessing 2000-2200 MV?) and increased effective range.

Not sure how much hotter you could make it without getting into PETN supplemented powder like in the German 'verbessert' loads for aircraft MGs (which required special high pressure tolerant MGs and heated up more quickly). If you do that though then you need at least a delayed blowback system or a gas piston, because the pressure will be too high to use in a simple blowback system without a really heavy bolt (too heavy to be practical) and/or a very strong spring. I have been wondering if a MP40 style telescoping bolt with a stronger spring might be enough though to deal with the increased pressure...

I highly doubt though that you'd be able to improve the muzzle velocity that much given the small powder capacity of the 25mm long case even with a 20 inch barrel (at some point barrel length stops increasing muzzle velocity and friction starts slowing down the bullet), though to LAD did increase the Tokarev's velocity somewhat over the PPSH41, I just cannot find what the number was.

The Spitzer would help, but the increased weight due to the larger internal volume of the bullet might offset whatever gains would come from increased barrel length, which heavier bullets would increase pressure. See the .30 carbine high pressure load as an example; the standard bullet was the 110 grain round nose, but the high pressure load was a 150 grain spitzer bullet:

You could 'cheat' though and either fill the bullet with steel instead of lead or just go with a solid steel bullet coated with copper, which would cut weight by about 25% for the overall bullet (steel is about 30% lighter than lead, but only the core is lead).
Using the 7.92mm flat base spitzer as a model, the bullet weighed 154 grains total, the lead core was about 120 grain and the gilding metal jacket was about 34 grains (a 7.62 should be slightly less for both).
So replacing the lead in the .30 carbine 150 grain bullet would probably save about 36 grain, which gives you a heavier bullet than the 110 round nose, but not by much probably 114-115 grains total. Keep in mind though the 7.62x25mm bullet for the Tokarev was only about 77 grain.

Last edited by a moderator:

McPherson

Banned
Since the US didn't use stampings in small arms in WW2 apparently it wasn't a move that thought was viable at the time, though the Germans did prove them wrong in that regard.

1. (Cough)M3 Grease gun(cough).
2. Logic. Milled steel is harder and more durable than the ductile steels that are best for stamp processes. IOW a milled steel gun's O/S parts made out of harder steels has better function tolerances and lasts longer and fits together better. Less wear over time means interchangeability of fit is easier to guarantee as well.
3. The Germans did NOT prove them wrong. Thompsons functioned better than MP40s. So did Barettas and ZK383s. The German soldiers NOTICED this, and traded for the better Italian and Czech SMGs whenever they could.
4. Wartime logic; throwaway gun with quick cheap manufacture. This works in war when you need a low quality gun right now that sort of works, STEN, MP40 PPsH. M3 Grease Gun fit this.
5. GP Machine guns cannot follow that logic. These are not throwaway weapons unless you are damned fools. Milling is acceptable with the added expense, so long as the platform has a user service life that allows complete rebuilds and overhauls. Classic example FN MAG versus the M60. As the M60 has been "improved" over its 60 modes in its 70 year existence, it has beefed up, had some stamped parts revert to milling and its alloys have been hardened and plastics buffed and replaced by stouter more wear resistant materials. FN MAG today has much the same robustness as it had in 1955. Less to redesign or tweak in the guts of the machine gun.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1487

1. (Cough)M3 Grease gun(cough).
Fair point, but it was a single late war PDW made in small numbers. Combined with post-war production they made less than were made of the Thompson, let alone actual rifles.

2. Logic. Milled steel is harder and more durable than the ductile steels that are best for stamp processes. IOW a milled steel gun's O/S parts made out of harder steels has better function tolerances and lasts longer and fits together better. less wear over time means interchangeability of fit is easier to guarantee as well.
I am aware of the reasons why the US didn't make stamped steel weapons, which increased cost, production time, and required much more skilled labor, but resulted in longer service life and arguably reliability...though in a world war situation where output matters most and combat losses of equipment tend to quite high those really aren't that important in the overall scheme of things as they would be in peacetime when small arms could be expected to serve for a long time.

3. The Germans did NOT prove them wrong. Thompsons functioned better than MP40s. So did Barettas and ZK383s. The German soldiers NOTICED this, and traded for the better Italian and Italian SMGs whenever they could.
Source? The Germans used anything they could get their hands on. Plus it's not like soldiers didn't like grabbing foreign equipment for bragging rights and some idea that the enemy had better gear. Allied forces also used MP40s when they could. The MP40 (and StG44) are even in use today in Syria!
The big problem with the MP40, which also impacted the Sten, was the magazine design, which was the reason for nearly all the jams. That said the Allies apparently quite preferred it to the Sten and I've come across many accounts of Allied soldiers using MP40s when possible, though front line infantry was wary about using it due to the likelihood of being shot by their own troops because of the sound of the weapon being quite distinct. Apparently though it happened so much the US even produced a training film to 'prove' that the US M3 and Thompson were superior to the MP40.

4. Wartime logic; throwaway gun with quick cheap manufacture. This works in war when you need a low quality gun right now that sort of works, STEN, MP40 PPsH. M3 Grease Gun fit this.
Yeah, in a war of material the cheap weapon is king.

5. GP Machine guns cannot follow that logic. These are not throwaway weapons unless you are damned fools. Milling is acceptable with the added expense, so long as the platform has a user service life that allows complete rebuilds and overhauls. Classic example FN MAG versus the M60. As the M60 has been "improved" over its 60 modes in its 70 year existence, it has beefed up, had some stamped parts revert to milling and its alloys have been hardened and plastics buffed and replaced by stouter more wear resistant materials. FN MAG today has much the same robustness as it had in 1955. Less to redesign or tweak in the guts of the machine gun.
Shocking that the MG42 worked so well then and continues to be used as the MG3. It's almost like design matters, after all the FN MAG is based on several components of the MG42.

McPherson

Banned
Fair point, but it was a single late war PDW made in small numbers. Combined with post-war production they made less than were made of the Thompson, let alone actual rifles.

GM.

I am aware of the reasons why the US didn't make stamped steel weapons, which increased cost, production time, and required much more skilled labor, but resulted in longer service life and arguably reliability...though in a world war situation where output matters most and combat losses of equipment tend to quite high those really aren't that important in the overall scheme of things as they would be in peacetime when small arms could be expected to serve for a long time.

1. Up to now I have not been shown that an understanding of industrial processes is apparent.
2. Commented on war logic so please see quote of me.

Source? The Germans used anything they could get their hands on. Plus it's not like soldiers didn't like grabbing foreign equipment for bragging rights and some idea that the enemy had better gear. Allied forces also used MP40s when they could. The MP40 (and StG44) are even in use today in Syria!

1. New builds.
2. Rommel's memoires.
3. Barettas and ZK383s were not "foreign" to the Germans. They made the Czech gun when they commandeered BRNO and they traded with their Italian allies.
The big problem with the MP40, which also impacted the Sten, was the magazine design, which was the reason for nearly all the jams. That said the Allies apparently quite preferred it to the Sten and I've come across many accounts of Allied soldiers using MP40s when possible, though front line infantry was wary about using it due to the likelihood of being shot by their own troops because of the sound of the weapon being quite distinct. Apparently though it happened so much the US even produced a training film to 'prove' that the US M3 and Thompson were superior to the MP40.
4. You've seen when I posted that film? Good, then aside from the propaganda and the takedown myths, the Thompson WAS more reliable because it was a tighter better built gun with a more controlled muzzle drift due to a lower rate of fire (See MG42 further.).
Yeah, in a war of material the cheap weapon is king.
Tell that to the 20 million Russian DEAD.
Shocking that the MG42 worked so well then and continues to be used as the MG3. It's almost like design matters, after all the FN MAG is based on several components of the MG42.
1. Nope. New postwar builds has a lot of milled parts refinements in the O/S internals in the MG3 that make it tighter overall and lowers its rate of fire. MG42 wasted ammo and had dispersion problems which matters little in defense but in offense is NTG. The Germans changed what they found did not work in the MG42.
2. No. . All FN (Browning) and a LOT of it based on the French/Belgian refined BAR O/S (John Moses Browning) which you seem to despise.

Last edited:
The side drum was issued so the gunners could have some ammo on the gun when moving rather than have a loose belt sloshing around dragging in the mud or picking up dirt and tripping the gunner up. In combat the drum came off asap and was replaced with a belt. 50 rounds would last less than 3 secs.
Understood, but if the solider wants to keep moving (and firing) after they empty the first drum they either need to put a new drum on or deal with a belt sloshing around.

The way the implication of this type of issue was explained to me, it can be hard for a solider armed with a belt feed MG to keep up with soldiers armed with magazine fed weapons once the MG needs to be reloaded.

Edit to add:
I realize many armies had / have doctrine that calls (called) for soldiers armed with machine guns and rifles to move separately at times, but if one wants to have the soldiers armed with automatic rifles keep up with the soldiers armed with normal rifles once the shooting starts then a magazine fed automatic rifle makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

IMHO a reasonable way to look at an automatic rifle in this context is:

An automatic weapon that a single solider can employ to deliver effective automatic fire at typical battlefield distances while working with other soldiers armed with rifles. It should be capable of a reasonable degree of sustained fire and be easy to carry, fire effectively and reload while the operator is keeping up with soldiers armed with rifles.

I don't see an automatic rifle as a poor substitute for an LMG or an overweight selective fire battle rifle.

I could envision that in practice certain soldiers might be better suited for using an automatic rifle than others..

But the main reason?

PPSh had a 71rnd drum.
It's the weight of the rnd and the gun that's the problem, not the drum mag.

Well if we start to address all such issues then we end up with increasingly more powerful bullets and the 'Automatic Rifle' ultimately becomes a 10 kg LMG ;)

Tracer ammunition might resolve windage allowing the gun operator to correct at range.

No worries I should have used better terminology

To quote Edna Mode from the Incredible's

View attachment 535675

PROS:

Large capacity

CONS:

Large
Heavy
Generally unreliable (the Suomi 72 round was excellent)
Not conducive to wartime mass production
More difficult / clunky to carry / load carrying equipment issues than stick magazines
Slower mag changes than stick mags - big problem if you get a stoppage that requires a mag removal or change
Slower to reload the magazines than stick mags
These last 2 are a particular issue in FIBUA / FISH (Fighting In Someones House) and other high intensity types of combat where the Soldier will want to have a fresh magazine for each room clearance lest he experiences the loudest sound on a battlefield - "CLICK"
Yeah, and Soviet troops hated the PPSh and it's 71 rnd drum mag.
In Stalingrad they had whole squads equipped with PPSh-41s using drum mags.
And who won Stalingrad?
Not the Germans with their shitty, heavy MP 40 using stick mags.

Deleted member 1487

Yeah, and Soviet troops hated the PPSh and it's 71 rnd drum mag.
In Stalingrad they had whole squads equipped with PPSh-41s using drum mags.
And who won Stalingrad?
Not the Germans with their shitty, heavy MP 40 using stick mags.
Actually the Germans did basically clear the Soviets out of Stalingrad by November. The problem was all the Soviet troops on the flanks.

Deleted member 1487

It was all part of the strategy.
It was never part of the strategy to lose the city regardless of any post hoc rationalizations by the Soviets.

Now back to discussion.
PPSh 41 (71rnd drum) > MP 40 (32rnd stick)
Not sure that much of a discussion. What's your criteria for 'greater than'? Given that the Soviets replaced the PPSH41 with the PPS as much as possible and dumped that drum magazine due to all the jamming issues that doesn't really support your position. They did introduce an improve drum in 1944, but even then they only loaded them to 65 rounds to avoid overtaxing the springs. Certainly the German magazines needed improvements like those introduced in the Swedish K magazines, but the MP40 was itself one of the great SMGs:

An automatic weapon that a single solider can employ to deliver effective automatic fire at typical battlefield distances while working with other soldiers armed with rifles. It should be capable of a reasonable degree of sustained fire and be easy to carry, fire effectively and reload while the operator is keeping up with soldiers armed with rifles.

I don't see an automatic rifle as a poor substitute for an LMG or an overweight selective fire battle rifle.
I just dont see much gap between,
CW BRs M15/G3 on bipod - your AR - Light weight mag fed LMGs ie Bren guns?
In detail - IMO,
- a single solider can employ/be easy to carry, fire effectively and reload while the operator is keeping up with soldiers armed with rifles - This suggest no belt feed and a limited max weight?
- deliver effective automatic fire at typical battlefield distances - This effectively means from the bipod if you are using 30-06 in full auto?
- reasonable degree of sustained fire - This realistically means an QC barrel or you are just as limited as a BR?
I just dont see the advatage to an AR over a light LMG even if it slightly heavier for one guy this more than make up by the advatage in firepower he will deliver to suport the rest of his team who can help by carrying some of his load?

I also question the concept as almost all army's have gone with a LMG/GPMG when they had the choice?
(especially if you remove army's armed with box mag fed (battle or assault) weapons for the rest of the section, in 38 you have to assume that the rest might have bolt guns and the AR might be the only automatic in the squad if the M1 doesn't get produced sufficiently fast)

marathag

Banned
Given that the Soviets replaced the PPSH41 with the PPS as much as possible and dumped that drum magazine due to all the jamming issues that doesn't really support your position
My Uncle in Korea wasn't the only one to have kept a few PPSh near the foxhole as last ditch weapon for when thw Chinese tried to rush in. He didn't like the M2 carbine for this, M3 not good enough and when close, Garand would not do either.

He said that when somebody is close enough to smell them, the high round count and controllable made it the goto choice for that set of circumstances.

Deleted member 1487

I just dont see much gap between,
CW BRs M15/G3 on bipod - your AR - Light weight mag fed LMGs ie Bren guns?
In detail - IMO,
- a single solider can employ/be easy to carry, fire effectively and reload while the operator is keeping up with soldiers armed with rifles - This suggest no belt feed and a limited max weight?
- deliver effective automatic fire at typical battlefield distances - This effectively means from the bipod if you are using 30-06 in full auto?
- reasonable degree of sustained fire - This realistically means an QC barrel or you are just as limited as a BR?
I just dont see the advatage to an AR over a light LMG even if it slightly heavier for one guy this more than make up by the advatage in firepower he will deliver to suport the rest of his team who can help by carrying some of his load?

I also question the concept as almost all army's have gone with a LMG/GPMG when they had the choice?
(especially if you remove army's armed with box mag fed (battle or assault) weapons for the rest of the section, in 38 you have to assume that the rest might have bolt guns and the AR might be the only automatic in the squad if the M1 doesn't get produced sufficiently fast)
At the squad level several pushed the LMG back to the platoon level and kept automatic rifles at the squad level.
See the Germans with the STG44, what the British wanted with the EM-2 and have done recently by basically eliminating any SAW at the squad level (even dropping the LSW) and adding in markman rifles, the USMC did with adopting the M27 IAR, etc.
Mobility and ammo load matter; the heavier the SAW the less ammo they could carry and the harder it is for the SAW gunner to keep up. Many modern militaries are realizing the problem of having heavy belt fed SAWs at the squad level when on maneuver; the only time that they want a belt fed SAW with QC barrel is on the defensive in fixed positions.

Deleted member 1487

My Uncle in Korea wasn't the only one to have kept a few PPSh near the foxhole as last ditch weapon for when thw Chinese tried to rush in. He didn't like the M2 carbine for this, M3 not good enough and when close, Garand would not do either.

He said that when somebody is close enough to smell them, the high round count and controllable made it the goto choice for that set of circumstances.
As a last ditch weapon in a fixed position I'm sure it was fine for the job, especially as it had a much shorter barrel than the other weapons cited, which is pretty important for close range rapid pointability. Did they have stick or drum mags though?