Intro
dgogo8keawa71.jpg

So, to get this out of the way real quick, this inspired by Monument Mythos, but I'm attempting to create a realistic scenario for all this, with some bits taken from how people speculated Dean would have become President in an AHC.

Of course the big POD is that he survives his 1955 car crash, but I'm also open to any suggestions for the timeline.

1955 - 1961
In 1955, James Dean was going over 65 mph and ended up in a near fatal accident. While the other driver and Dean's passenger were not injured, Dean himself wound up for in the hospital for three weeks. During this time, Dean seemed convinced he had been saved for something but he was unsure of what exactly it was yet.

While in the hospital, many friends and former co-stars visited him. Dean would recall his friend Elizabeth Taylor chastising him for driving so fast, and Dean agreed to start living less recklessly.

Dean's first brush with politics would be in December of that same year, when Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat. After Dean voiced support for the Montgomery bus boycott, many studios became afraid to work with him until many of Dean's fellow actors (including Marlon Brando and Charlton Heston) also began to speak in favor of the protests.

While Dean continued acting, he and many of his contemporaries would voice support for desegregation throughout the late fifties. Dean wouldn't return playing lead roles until the sixties, with his most notable appearance before that being in 1957's Sayonara, which starred his friend Marlon Brando on the lead role.

Dean would meet with President Eisenhower in 1957 about the youths of America, and during the 1960 presidential election, Dean would support John F. Kennedy for president.

Many saw Dean as a hypocrite for going with the establishment rather than against it, and Dean would explain his actions in interview with NBC

"It is far too common for young Americans to feel that they have no choice in the country decision but this is simply not true, political an economic matter can be changed by the youth and rebellion against the establishment can be achieved within that very same establishment, so no I do not consider myself a hypocrite. I only wish for more young Americans to have more opportunities to vote and enter politics." - Dean during a 1960 interview with Walter Cronkite.

With Kennedy victorious in 1960, Dean was invited to attend the inauguration but couldn't make it for due to his racing, as well as poor weather in Washington. After the election Dean became much more involved in America politics.

1961 would end up being the year Dean would return to leading roles, with him staring in Breakfast At Tiffany's. The film, while regarded as a classic, is also notable for being where Dean would meet Audrey Hepburn, who he'd begin a relationship with the following year (1).

(1) This isn't based on anything, it's just kind of a joking reference to this song

Last edited:
1962 - 1967
Dean and Hepburn had both spoken in favour of civil rights and the movement. The two were spotted at the March On Washington with other actors such as Paul Newman, Charleston Heston, Sidney Poitler and Marlon Brando. After the event the two would became a friend of Dr. Martin Luther King. Dean promised King that he would speak to President Kennedy about helping desegregation.

He never got a chance to do so before November 22, 1963. Dean would be at a racetrack when he heard about the assassination. Like the rest of America at the time, Dean was left shocked by the news of the assassination.

"I remember, I sprinted to a phone booth, and called just about everyone I could remember the number of." He would recall in a 1973 interview. In the wake of the national tragedy, Dean ended up proposing to Hepburn, and the two would marry that same year.

As the conflict in Vietnam raged on, Dean would be vehemently against the conflict. Due to his disapproval of Johnson, who had decided not to seek reelection that year, Dean decided go into politics himself... much to the shock of his new wife.

Last edited:
Dean and Hepburn had both spoken in favour of civil rights and the movement. The two were spotted at the March On Washington with other actors such as Paul Newman, Charleston Heston, Sidney Poitler and Marlon Brando. After the event the two would became a friend with Dr. Martin Luther King. Dean promised King that he would speak to President Kennedy about helping desegregation.

He never got a chance to do so before November 22, 1963. Dean would be at a racetrack when he heard about the assassination. Like the rest of America at the time, Dean was left shocked by the news of the assassination.

"I remember, I sprinted to a phone booth, and called just about everyone I could remember the number of." He would recall in a 1973 interview. In the wake of the national tragedy, Dean ended proposing to Hepburn, and the two would marry that same year.

As the conflict in Vietnam raged on, Dean would be vehemently against the conflict. Due to his disapproval of Johnson, who had decided not to seek reelection that year, Dean decided go into politics himself... much to the shock of his new wife.
LBJ doesn’t run for reelection in 64? Interesting that has been rarely done.

1968 - 1973
James was eventually talked out of running for President by Audrey, who convince him it would best to let the situation in Vietnam be handled by someone more experience, with though Dean was able to convince her on a senate run. With that in mind, Dean had until the day after Lyndon Johnson announced he wouldn't be seeking re-election to file the paperwork to run for senate. According to Hepburn, Dean just barely made the deadline, saying that after he had "plenty of time left over. Roughly 14-and-a-half minutes to spare!"

After throwing his hat into the California Senate race, James would end up keeping a close eye on the presidential race, eventually throwing support behind Bobby Kennedy's campaign. Kennedy would return the favor, encouraging his supporters in California to vote for Dean in the Senate race.

Unfortunately, Bobby Kennedy would die tragically after a shooting at the Ambassador hotel. James would end up eulogizing him during a campaign speech, similar to what Bobby Kennedy himself did in wake of MLK's assassination.

Despite, or perhaps because of this tragedy, Dean found himself winning the 1968 Senate race against Republican Max Rafferty. The following year, Dean and Hepburn would welcome two children into the world: Connie, named after Hepburn's best friend and Charles, named after Dean's paternal grandfather.

During his tenure in the Senate, he openly opposed many of President Nixon's decisions regarding Vietnam, questioning Nixon's devotion to his campaign promise to bring troops home from Vietnam.

Displeased by Dean and Hepburn's anti-Vietnam War activism, the FBI and CIA had been surveilling the two for months and the National Security Agency was tapping their phone calls.

In spite of this, Hepburn would continue in this up into the 1970s, even finding herself getting arrested during a protest alongside friend and fellow actress Jane Fonda.

When the Watergate break-in happened a year prior to the election, Dean and many other politicians began pointing fingers at Richard Nixon. Due to the coverage of the story by the Washington Post, Nixon very quickly found himself in hot water and his troubles were about to get worse.

After once again floating the idea of running for President to Audrey (who was much more receptive to his ideas this time around given Dean's new political experience), Dean launched an exploratory committee.

On what was a fairly quiet winters night on the 30th of November, the news media reported that the Vietnam war claimed more Americans lives, and Richard Nixon was enjoying a peaceful night in the White House, going over his reelection strategy, but was rudely interrupted by the White House phone ringing, when answering the phone Nixon was greeted by his Vice President Spiro Agnew, in a worried tone Agnew asked Nixon if he was watching NBC. Confused, Nixon asked for a more detailed information about what was on NBC. Agnew simply told him to turn on the TV and see for himself. He was greeted by an ad which featured Senator James Dean addressing the nations frustrations over the Vietnam war, with Dean himself simply saying "What are we waiting for? Let's bring 'em back home!

image.jpeg

Image from Dean's famous 1971 presidential campaign announcement.

The day after the announcement, Senator Dean held a press conference, in his statement he said "This isn't a joke, I am putting my name forward for president because we need to bring our boys back, Nixon had four years to do it, and he clearly wants to make this a campaign issue, so I guess it's up to me now." Through the entire election afterwords, campaign ads from James Dean (which Dean and Hepburn are said to have directed themselves initially) would air every Friday on NBC.

Many young Americans were ecstatic about Dean's candidacy and he would end up dominating the Democratic primaries. Dean thanked the people who voted for him, hoped that he would not disappoint them and also hoped that the older folks of America could trust him. While Dean was giving his acceptance speech violence broke outside the Democratic convention, with many believing that Dean was the wrong man for the job and his youthfulness and potentially empty promises weren't what America needed. For his running mate, Dean had originally wanted Senator Eugene McCarthy, but when signs that more conservative voters would be upset by him getting the nomination, Hepburn persuaded him to look elsewhere. Dean instead choose former Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough in hopes to win some of the more conservative democrats, the race for the White House was on.

Despite his efforts to appease them, many of the more conservative voters in America were vehemently against Dean, with a group known as the Anti-Dean Association even forming and disrupting the Senator's campaign events. Some would even begin to claim that Dean's good looks, love of jazz and foreign wife were signs he was the Devil in disguise, though those members were ignored for the most part.

The deciding factor would come in October, after months of Nixon and Dean being neck and neck in the polls. Dean would reveal during a press conference evidence that President Nixon had interfered in the 1968 peace talks in Vietnam to help his chances in the previous election. Nixon would comment on the matter by claiming their was a Democratic conspiracy against him. The announcement would help Dean pull ahead of of Nixon in polling. On the night of the election Dean would be victorious by winning 330 votes and also winning the popular vote. Nixon would congratulate Dean on his victory.

Dean would infamously end up discussing foreign policy with Nixon at a racetrack Dean had been known to frequent.

James Dean became the 37th president of American on the 20th of January, 1973 and American had a new hope.

Last edited:
After Dean voiced support for the Montgomery bus boycott, many studios became afraid to work with him until many of Dean's fellow actors (including Marlon Brando and Charlton Heston).

With Kennedy victorious in 1960, Dean was invited to attend the inauguration but couldn't make it for his was racing and the weather for the day in Washington was reported bad for the day, after the election Dean became more involved in America politics.

After the event the two would became a friend with Dr. Martin Luther King.

Unfortunately, Bobby Kennedy's would die tragically after a shooting at the Ambassador hotel.

Due to the coverage of the story Washington Post, Nixon found himself in hot water very quickly and his troubles where about to get worse.

when answering the phone Johnson was greeted by his Vice President Spiro Agnew, in a worried tone Agnew asked Nixon if he was watching NBC.
I really urge you to proofread your writings, some of these sentences are incomplete. If not, there's a different error.

Having binge-watched Monument Mythos recently, I'm very intrigued by this timeline, which, while intended as realistic, has some call-backs to Monument Mythos scenario.

I really urge you to proofread your writings, some of these sentences are incomplete. If not, there's a different error.

Having binge-watched Monument Mythos recently, I'm very intrigued by this timeline, which, while intended as realistic, has some call-backs to Monument Mythos scenario.
Apologies for that, I've been writing this in-between other stuff and I've had a splitting headache for the last few days.

The First Crisis of the Dean Administration, 1973
FaceApp_1645791485957.jpg

James Dean, 38th President of the United States

James Dean's inauguration was widely viewed, with an estimated 1.2 million Americans in attendance. In a move many considered shocking for the time, Dean actually only spoke for about 11 minutes before turning the mic over to prominent civil rights leaders, Native American families and other activists.

"For the first time in history, America speaks for itself." Dean explained before turning speaking over African American activist Fred Hampton. This would be the first time Hampton had spoken in public since a failed attempt on his life four years prior.

James Dean's first challenge as president would come later that year, during the Yom Kippur Crisis. President Dean was informed of tensions building between Israel and Egypt, due to Egypt wanting seize a foothold on the eastern bank of the Suez Canal and subsequently leverage these gains to negotiate the return of the rest of the Israeli-occupied Sinai Peninsula.

The Soviets thought little of Sadat's chances in any war. They warned that any attempt to cross the heavily fortified Suez Canal would incur massive losses. Both the Soviets and Americans were at that time pursuing détente and had no interest in seeing the Middle East destabilized.

In a June 1973 meeting with Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev, Brezhnev had proposed Israel pull back to its 1967 border. Brezhnev said that if Israel did not, "we will have difficulty keeping the military situation from flaring up"—an indication that the Soviet Union had been unable to restrain Sadat's plan.

Fortunately, President Dean, with help from Vice President Yarborough, able to prevent the conflict, convincing Brezhnev to convince Sadat to a peace treaty. This would prove to be a big success for Dean's administration early on as the two were credited with preventing a war.

Not long after this crisis, Dean would begin to meet with troops stationed in Vietnam, promising to bring them home.

Last edited: