DCEU have to use second tier characters

The MCU only did it because they didn’t have the movie rights to their A-Listers. It is a bit hard for me to see that happening with DC without a POD going back to the start of superheroes.

The MCU only did it because they didn’t have the movie rights to their A-Listers. It is a bit hard for me to see that happening with DC without a POD going back to the start of superheroes.
Not necessarily that far back, but it would probably need to go back so far that Marvel might not exist at all (or at least not have the same name).

At any rate, DC just didn't have the same money problems that Marvel did.

If DC had to use its second tier to start its Cinematic Universe, you would probably see something very much like the Justice League: International with the Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, and Green Arrow as your centerpiece. Maybe Aquaman is involved as the character isn’t taken too seriously by some fans. Maybe you see the likes of some of the Justice Society members, as we are seeing in Black Adam, in a period piece set in the 40’s or 50’s and using the Atomic Age story as another possible springboard.

If I’m going with a JSA start, my first movie is either with Hourman as a detective thriller where other JSA members are discovered chasing the same villains or a full JSA film as the first leg of a chase of the Spear of Destiny. The JSA cycle would end with a 2-part Atomic Age which opens the door to the more familiar names that we know.
If it is a Justice League: International set up, I would possibly go with a JLA-Year 1 retelling without there being any involvement of the big 3.

If I’m going with a JSA start, my first movie is either with Hourman as a detective thriller where other JSA members are discovered chasing the same villains or a full JSA film as the first leg of a chase of the Spear of Destiny. The JSA cycle would end with a 2-part Atomic Age which opens the door to the more familiar names that we know.
If it is a Justice League: International set up, I would possibly go with a JLA-Year 1 retelling without there being any involvement of the big 3.
Agreed, I think a DCEU focused around the JSA would be really interesting.

Did you people actully read comics back in the day?
”B” listers? Really?
While i will admit that in the late 70s and early 80s the Xmen and Spiderman were the big comics for Marvel. Ironman Hulk and Captain America and the Avengers were not exactly also ran level.
Anymore then Batman and Superman were the big two in DC and WonderWoman and the rest are not as well known…

But this is a self fulfilling profisy. Spiderman and The XMen were well known because they had movies kade of them the same way Superman and Batman were well known because they had movies and TV shows in the past.

Without the Spiderman movies and the Xmen movies you average Joe has little idea who Spiderman is and NO idea who most (if not all) of the XMen are. And before Tim Burton did Batman the average person only knew batman from the 60s series. Superman is a bit better known but it os not like you average person was reading comics.
And dont get me started on the Fantastic 4. They are probably better known for their primary villain (who the movies always mess up) then anything else.

Also without the success of the Spiderman and Xmen movies Marvel is not getting the money to make the movies they did. And they wont be as good if they do make them.

How you sell a JSA centered continuum is acknowledging there have been Batman and Superman movies already. Acknowledge that Batman has been established in the “present” with Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney and certainly acknowledge Christopher Reeves as Superman. This saves you from having to establish them in the timeline, especially as both have had their origin story told before.

Also, by having established locations like Gotham City, Metropolis, Smallville, and the like means that you can play off of that knowledge and fill in the DC map. Where is Star City for the Star Man movie? If Keystone City is in Pennsylvania, is it analogous to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia? This will not only flesh out the “DCEU”, but will mean if/when the “current” iteration of the Flash or Green Lantern arrives, then fans would know where they would fit in both chronologically and geographically.