DBWI: WI Bernard Bee as Killed at the Battle of Manassas?

Anaxagoras

Banned
Today, Bernard Bee is rightly regarded as the greatest military genius in the history of the world. However, he was very nearly killed by a Union bullet during the Battle of Manassas. It actually cut through the left side of his torso, causing a painful but ultimately non-life threatening wound.

Suppose the bullet had struck him directly in the belly, causing a fatal wound. How would history have been different?

Oh, come off it. Bee was good, there's no question about it, but the 'greatest in the history of the world'? Please. I know Southrons like to look to him as a leading figure, and I get that his post-war military and political career gave them someone to rally behind after the failure of the Confederacy. But, it still gets eye-rollingly bad sometimes.

But, I'll bite - without Bee the war probably ends a bit sooner; he definitely played some masterful games during the last phase of the war that slowed Grant and Sherman's offenses. What's interesting, of course, will be after the war. Bee was one of the few Confederate military figures to rejoin the Union army afterwards (and, he was accepted due to the glowing words he received from Grant. Those two had a 19th century bromance going on by the end). The fact that he came out against slavery as hard as he did, and seemed to do so with real conviction, certainly helped his position.

His modernization of the US army and his alliance with Mahan certainly had some major impacts on the United States which helped it win during the Third Anglo-American War.

Still, I just can't get behind the "greatest of all time" nonsense.

OOC: Honestly took me far far too long to realise this was a DBWI and I was so confused as to who this Bernard Bee was that he was supposedly such a great general.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Okay, maybe I got carried away. But I think it's hard to argue that he was the best general produced by America and the only one to truly rank with the likes of Napoleon and Marlborough.

I thi nk another reason he gets that "greatest mind" stuff is he foray into politics - Pershing credited him with a lot of the modernization Bee ordered as President after he beat Taft in '08, said it came from Bee's own mind, not the War Department. Even TR was reluctant to run againin 1912 with Bee so popular, but he did in 1916 and there's that famous quote after Roosevelt and Congress declared war, something about how thanks to his reforms, America can float like a butterfly and sting like a Bee.

I thi nk another reason he gets that "greatest mind" stuff is he foray into politics - Pershing credited him with a lot of the modernization Bee ordered as President after he beat Taft in '08, said it came from Bee's own mind, not the War Department. Even TR was reluctant to run againin 1912 with Bee so popular, but he did in 1916 and there's that famous quote after Roosevelt and Congress declared war, something about how thanks to his reforms, America can float like a butterfly and sting like a Bee.
OOC: He'd have been 84 in 1908, you might want to make his presidency earlier.

(OOC: Redacting)

I think another reason he gets credited as a great leader is his work at reforming the War Department and the military in general. I mean, few expected him to win the Election of 1884 - with worries bout that scandal Cleveland was relegated tot he Vice President's role, and then he beat Blaine in a close race. Pershing later credited him in his work on U.S. military history with a lot of the changes that made the U.S. such an effective fighting machine. After he won another term in 1888, Cleveland won in '92 but then of course the Panice of 1893 pretty much wiped out any hopes the Democrats could win again, but the point is, he knew how to run a military, and did all his work despite the U.S. not having that big of a military. He not only set the stage for the "more with less'd octrine that characterized later U.S. entry into WW I but a lot of his techniques are still taught in today's military academies, with modifications, of course. He really was a visionary.