DBWI: Tbilisi occurs without incident

We know how fateful that day in 2005 was when that Georgian threw the grenade at George Bush in Tbilisi. There are some similarities with the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, but the similarities IMO are exaggerated.

Goes without saying that, after Cheney became president and launched his invasion of Syria, Iran, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan in 2006, the world quickly went to shit (and not just because of the Great Depression which followed, which led to far-right nationalists taking power in India, Japan, Greece, Indonesia, and Italy).

We know how, in order to sustain the invasion/occupation, Cheney ordered a draft, which led to such civil unrest that many troops were deployed at home for conterterrorism operations. We also know how Senator Obama's campaign to "bring our boys home and restore our constitution" ended in his assassination at the DNC, which led to the cancellation of the 2008 - and all subsequent - elections. Which, in turn, led to the US military splintering by 2010 into three nuclear-armed factions.

We know how 40 million Americans would not have died in the ensuing civil war, cities like Boston, Chicago, Nashville, Sacramento, and Atlanta would be more than smouldering craters, and there would be no "Christian State of America" behaving like the Taliban.

We also know how the Persian Gulf is the private lake of the "Democratic Republic of the Gulf", a statelet formed by abandoned US military forces who survive by holding the world's oil supply to ransom.

Where would the world be if Bush's rally in Tbilisi occurred without any incident? Would China have so brazenly taken back Taiwan? Would Russia have so nakedly restored its Soviet borders *and* marched onto Athens? Could the US have ended its occupation of Iraq peacefully without a humiliating Vietnam-style retreat? And how would an Obama presidency looked like?

OOC: EternalCynic, I am now LOL at this DBWI. Seriously, I doubt the second U.S. Civil War would happen, IMO. Not to mention Cheney's invading multiple countries at once.

Just my .02.

OOC: EternalCynic, I am now LOL at this DBWI. Seriously, I doubt the second U.S. Civil War would happen, IMO. Not to mention Cheney's invading multiple countries at once.

Just my .02.
I thought of posting this in the ASB section, but after reading the threads about what Cheney would have done, it doesn't seem so ridiculous. Might as well run with it.

OOC: America invading Saudi Arabia? That is ASB. The rest are... merely implausible in comparison. Nonetheless, the whole thread is too deterministic. What's the fun of a DBWI when the whole world has already been laid out? Leave some details up to the other posters to fill in.

OOC: Why would so many people tend to forget Congress would need to approve all of this, which is why it would never happen. You can't wave a magic wand and turn Cheney into a tyrant who can invade six nations and issue the draft while Congress sits with thier collective thumbs up thier asses.

OOC: Also, keep in mind that Pakistan had NUKES in 2005.
And why would the Russians march on ATHENS? Not to mention that the Russians would have to put up with INTENSE guerilla fighting in some of their former republics. Not to mention that in 2004 Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia were already NATO nations, so Britain and France might object to their reoccupation.

OOC: Why would so many people tend to forget Congress would need to approve all of this, which is why it would never happen. You can't wave a magic wand and turn Cheney into a tyrant who can invade six nations and issue the draft while Congress sits with thier collective thumbs up thier asses.

OOC and off topic:

I've wondered how the POTUS can engage in a nuclear war without congress saying it's ok... and it's totally impossible for him to be able to get congressional permission when he has 30 minutes before the nukes hit.

Is there some kind of 'if/then' clause?

OOC: Well Cheney becoming president is rather alarming he can't exactly do what is proposed here.

Realistically he would lean on Pakistan and probably support a coup to install someone more to his liking, and probably seriously push for an invasion of Iran. If he managed to pull that off...well things would be pretty FUBAR.

At worst in geopolitical terms he would order the bombing of the Roki Tunnel during the 2008 Georgian War which would bring him into conflict with Russia...and probably China when they see the US is willing to use force to alter the balance of power in Eurasia.

OOC: On top of everything else, there is simply no way for the Russians to march onto Athens. They would have to firstly take either a bunch of Balkan states or Turkey and logistics just can't support such a move. But that's minor in comparison to other points, like the US invading half the muslim world or a US civil war among all the other things.

Also, "private lake of the "Democratic Republic of the Gulf", a statelet formed by abandoned US military forces who survive by holding the world's oil supply to ransom"? That's not remotely plausible.

This scenario can't work.

If this scenario is to be taken seriously for a moment, the revolving door at NATO's exit would stuck from the mass of European countries desperately rushing to get out as soon as the US started acting like a crazyman of out-of-imaginable proportions. They would then create a European defense organisation and, by the time violence in the US started to erupt, they would include Russia in that organisation and make every effort to check the madman's catastrophic ventures in the Middle East. The US would be seen globally as a global security threat not seen since Hitler and alliances would realign so quickly that they would be isolated before you can say "impeachment unanimously approved by the Senate".

My best guess is that the Japanese-European Joint Space Agency wouldn't have gotten to Mars. Humanity would probably be stuck in near-earth orbit.