DBWI: No United States of China

• Thread starter Deleted member 109224
  • Start date

Deleted member 109224

The United States of China was formed in the 1990s, via the merger of the rump Republic of China on Taiwan and Hainan with British Hong Kong, Portuguese Macau, and French Guangzhouwan into the Confederation's 5 States.

What if there'd been no USC? I suppose by extension, what if the underlying circumstances that led to the People's Republic of China to assent to the USC's formation hadn't occurred? The formation of the USC also resulted in international agreement that the Republic of China no longer existed and that the People's Republic of China was the legitimate successor (and thus entitled to the UN Seat). I suppose Taiwan/Republic of China would continue to hold the seat?

1591198204767.png

I don't think you can butterfly the USC. The PRC was very vocal that the last territories they needed were the breakaway capitalists, the colonies, Tibet(Greater Tibet, including Qinghai) and Turkestan. Mao even threatened to cede Gansu and Ningxia to a Hui communist state. IIRC that was replaced by an autonomous Hui republic.

The PRC decimated the Central Chinese region. Thankfully, their harmful policies were not implemented by the Hui, the Mongolians or the Manchus.

If they break up. I believe the 60s would be the best. IIRC Hainan wanted to join the PRC because of the lack of coordination between them and Taipei. This was vetoed by Mao. If Mao doesn't go crazy and rejects all important territories, the PRC would be far better. Maybe even have Chiang die in the 40s because w/o Chiang, they will not retreat.