DBWI: No President Powell?

In 1996 Bill Clinton looked unbeatable. After Dole won the nomination he trailed Clinton by twenty points, so he pinned his hopes on a running mate. Dole practically had to beg Powell to accept the nomination, but he did. Powell would prove a proficient organizer in the Fall Campaign, but by early October Clinton still had a twelve point lead, but then the real shock of the campaign came along. Ross Perot, despite claiming early in 1995 that he had no interest in running again, began buying airtime on network television and comparing President Clinton to a criminal/pervert. "Would you leave this man alone with your sixteen-year-old daughter? No. So how can you trust him with nearly unlimited power?" That was probably the most successful quote.

By election night President Clinton still had a five point lead in the Gallup poll, but the returns were surprising. While most forecasted a 50% voter turnout, it ended up being closer to 60%. After two weeks of tallying Dole/Powell held a lead in the national popular vote of just under 100,000, but Dole/Powell carried the South and Midwest, and shocked everyone by carrying California. Clinton made accusations of voter fraud in several states, but public opinion turned against him, and he left office with an approval rating of 42%, and Hillary left him the next year amid rumors of a paternity suit being settled with a former campaign aid, and wrote a seething tell all. She moved back to Arkansas and won a seat in the House of Representatives in 1998.

Many believed that a Black man in such a position of power would draw assassination attempts, but ironically it was President Dole who would not see the end of his term, passing in June of 1998 as a result of complications from a routine surgery to remove a benign intestinal tumor.

Powell became the first Black President of the United States. By 2000 it appeared he would win reelection easily, with approval ratings hovering in the mid 60s. However, he shocked the nation by saying he had no interest in returning for a second term, for reason he has asked friends and family not to reveal until after he and his wife pass on.

Soldier, Statesman, Private individual, he is the most talked about living former President.

Had Powell stuck to his guns and refused to run for VP in 1996, President Clinton would be re-elected. Dole was never a great orator as compared to Powell. Any other running mate would not have given Dole 38 percent of the African-American vote.

I give Powell points for his selection of John McCain as Vice President and picking Jack Kemp to replace Phil Gramm as Treasury Secretary. With Powell's backing, Secretary of State Richard Lugar was able to broker a peace agreement between the warring factions in Somalia. Today, Somalia is a thriving democracy.

And I will not forget President Powell's dressing down of Robert Mugabe. There have been stories that the CIA sponsored gun running operations that led to the overthrow of Mugabe in 1999.

I'm not surprised that Powell chose not to run in 2000. He never aspired to elected office and wanted to spend more time with his family.

Powell also did manage to somewhat reenergize the moderate and perhaps even (to a far, far lesser degree) the left of centre factions of the GOP during the late 90's (after all, his ancestors, like many blacks, associated with the GOP to begin with because of the old progressives and moderates who had fought Jim Crow. And that showed in many of his pretty centrist policies). Not perhaps a revolutionary spark, but one that did well for the GOP's image to many people who would otherwise be turned off by the conservatives.

Thanks for the history lesson, Dave :p

With no President Powell, it's possible that there'd be no President Richardson now. Bill Richardson's election last year was kinda helped out by there being a "precedence" of non-white presidents.

ah, Powell, powell, Powell....
Good man. Opened up the Office for all us none-whites.
Some will argue he was a poor PResident, but I feel he was a Very good president.

Some will argue he was a poor PResident, but I feel he was a Very good president.

Well, I don't think Powell was a bad president. He just didn't have enough time to establish anything while he was there and I'm sure he knew it. Most of us know the Republicans used Powell as a tool to get a significant percentage of the Afro-American vote and to give McCain experience in the White House so he would have more credibility running for president in 2000. Got to hand it to the Republicans, they planned the whole thing out pretty well as we've had a Republican president since 1996.

Can't say McCain's bad for those eight years too... Richardson, still don't trust him, even if he floor-crossed to our side...

Richardson, still don't trust him, even if he floor-crossed to our side...
(OOC: Jeez, can you say "Republicanwank"?)

That was pretty surprising, I gotta say. I mean, the guy's gotta be the most liberal Republican president since... well, Theodore Roosevelt. And yet the Republicans voted for him in the primaries...

Y'know, it occurs to me that the Republican's shift to the left actually started with Powell, too - in the same way the Democrats' shift to the right started with Clinton. It was really Powell's succession of the Presidency combined with Gingrich's political implosion in 1998 that killed the conservative movement, just like the Reagan-Bush years followed by Clinton's election pretty much killed off the liberal movement. If it weren't for Powell, it's entirely possible that rather than having two centrist parties as of now, America would have one centrist party (the Democrats) and one right-wing party (the Republicans). Now that's a weird thought.

Well, Bill Richardson did win... but not by much. The Green and Libertarian parties have gotten really popular with a significant minority of the country to such a point that they could be just one very charismatic person away from doing major damage in an election. Most people are dissillusioned in the fact that there are two centrist parties because it feels like two of the same.

But the parties really aren't the same when you look at how they choose candidates. That's where it matters. I mean, President McCain and Vice President Snowe were so obviously "presidential material" from Day 1. But Janet Reno had no hope in 2000, nor did Howard Dean in 2004. The Democrats wouldn't be in so much trouble today had Powell never been President.

I got to hand it to President Richardson. He is the most opportunistic SOB.

I would not want to have been in the same room with Bill Clinton when he learned that Richardson switched to the GOP.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Of course, thanks to Powell there are now black presidents of France and Germany, and a black Prime Minister in London :)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf