DBWI - No American Brothers' War?

We all, at least those of us who live in North America, know of the American Brothers' War. What if the war hadn't happened? What if, instead, for some reason, preferably United States of America's acceptance that the Constitution had failed to pass, the American Brothers' War never happens? How would the world be changed with a unified government making up the bulk of North America?

For those unenlightened on the American Brothers' War:

The newly founded United States of America attempted to strengthen their weak nation by passing the "Constitution," a set of laws to replace the undeniably imperfect Articles of Confederation. 9 states (Basically like departments.) were to ratify this new set of laws to have it pass. Only 8 passed it. The U.S.A. government, specifically the state governments of those who passed the Constitution, attempted to enforce it anyways, in violation of existing laws, causing the states who refused the Constitution, Virginia, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Rhode Island, & New York, to rebel, with later help from Britain. This resulted in the destruction of the young United States of America, the only independent unified East-Coast North American government to date. The war lasted from 1788 - 1791.

Last edited:
We all, at least those of us who live in North America, know of the American Brothers' War. What if the war hadn't happened? What if, instead, for some reason, preferably United States of America's acceptance that the Constitution had failed to pass, the American Brothers' War never happens? How would the world be changed with a unified government making up the bulk of North America?

For those unenlightened on the American Brothers' War:

The newly founded United States of America attempted to strengthen their weak nation by passing the "Constitution," a set of laws to replace the undeniably imperfect Articles of Confederation. 9 states (Basically like departments.) were to ratify this new set of laws to have it pass. Only 8 passed it. The U.S.A. government, specifically the state governments of those who passed the Constitution, attempted to enforce it anyways, in violation of existing laws, causing the states who refused the Constitution, Virginia, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Rhode Island, & New York, to rebel, with later help from Britain. This resulted in the destruction of the young United States of America, the only independent unified East-Coast North American government to date.

The change that fairly leaps out @ one is the
reduction in the size of Canada. Put in a viable U.S. of A. & Canada's borders would
not extend- as they do today- so far south to
what used to be Virginia.

The change that fairly leaps out @ one is the
reduction in the size of Canada. Put in a viable U.S. of A. & Canada's borders would
not extend- as they do today- so far south to
what used to be Virginia.

Good point. Without Britonnic invasion, the Canadian departments of Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiania, New Albion City, and portions of Canada Proper would have been under USA control. Chances are the Republic of Illinois also wouldn't have come around, at least not in its current form. Maybe this could entail further Canadian penetration into the Pacific Coast, unlike OTL, where the former USA's "Northwest Territory" had instead been the "New Britonnic Frontier."

I honestly don't envision America as anything more than a reason for British expansion. America was poor, had no allies, (France, the Netherlands AND Morocco all considered allying America, but decided against it.) had no way to expand, (It was boxed in by major European powers, some looking at it with hungry eyes.) had copious amounts of angry Native Americans AND angry European Americans, had no way to grow its population, and on top of that had an embargo from Britain, the list just goes on. America was bound to collapse, even the "Constitution" couldn't have saved them.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

[OOC: If you like the scenario, you like DBWIs, and/or you're good at DBWIs, come join!]

Last edited:
While most of those are true, I think you're mistaken about the US having no way to grow its population. It grew like a weed, but its population had nowhere to go except into other countries' and tribes' areas.

The United States couldn't survive as a nation. An alternative way to avoid the ABW is for the United States to become an alliance instead. The USA would probably remain an enemy to Britain so New England would never be annexed into Canada once it was granted independence. As for the Northwest Territory I can see it being controlled by some of the powerful states for awhile before being granted independence. This means that Canada wouldn't be as powerful and would never become the great power it is in OTL.

While most of those are true, I think you're mistaken about the US having no way to grow its population. It grew like a weed, but its population had nowhere to go except into other countries' and tribes' areas.

I meant in the long run. If America somehow did manage to survive to the Age of the Industrial Revolution, I doubt they'd successfully industrialize. They'd probably be a conflict-stricken, poor, agrarian nation of 30,000,000 where it easily could have 100,000,000.

The United States couldn't survive as a nation. An alternative way to avoid the ABW is for the United States to become an alliance instead. The USA would probably remain an enemy to Britain so New England would never be annexed into Canada once it was granted independence. As for the Northwest Territory I can see it being controlled by some of the powerful states for awhile before being granted independence. This means that Canada wouldn't be as powerful and would never become the great power it is in OTL.

I see, that is an interesting alternative. What do you think America would be like had they been like this? Also, what would Canada be like as a solid secondary power? And what would the incentive be for spinning the Northwest Territory off as its own nation?

I see, that is an interesting alternative. What do you think America would be like had they been like this? Also, what would Canada be like as a solid secondary power? And what would the incentive be for spinning the Northwest Territory off as its own nation?
Without the ABW it's obvious that America would be way more peaceful. There'd be no tensions like in OTL and less war. Perhaps if the United States is a good enough alliance it would eventually unite into a single entity similarly to how the Lima Pact united into the Andine Federation. As for Canada it would be incapable of sustaining the British Empire after the Great War so I wouldn't expect the king on the throne or the United Commonwealth in this timeline. If the USA was effective I feel like it would grant freedom to the Northwest for two regions. Firstly it was culturally diffierent from the rest of the states (at least enough by American standards). Secondly, none of the smaller states would want to see the larger ones, like Virginia, get more powerful than they already are.

Thomas1195

Banned
I meant in the long run. If America somehow did manage to survive to the Age of the Industrial Revolution, I doubt they'd successfully industrialize. They'd probably be a conflict-stricken, poor, agrarian nation of 30,000,000 where it easily could have 100,000,000.
Their potential power would be second to none. I believe that they would industrialize successfully, as their economy in many ways was already more advanced than most European kingdoms. Also, the fact that the USA was the first country to be created from the struggle of their people for what could be called "the Rights of Man" would make it extremely attractive for European folks who were oppressed by their monarchs and nobilities.