DBWI: Morsi elected President of Egypt

You'd probably have the Muslim Brotherhood setting up a dictatorship; Morsi wasn't exactly shy about those ties. A shame, really... all that protesting just to get a guy who makes Mubarak look pleasant.

Last edited:
After the success of the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists in the Parliamentary elections earlier in the year, it really looked like they were going to win the Presidency as well. However since the election of Shafik and the dissolution of the parliament by the Supreme Court, the country has taken a completely different path. Egypt's no Utopia now, but I'm glad they've remained secular and haven't taken a path similar to Iran.

Would Morsi even been able to stay in power for the duration of his term? Even Shafik has to walk a fine line with the generals, and he is a military man. It would have taken a lot for Morsi to strike a balance between placating the military enough to avoid a coup while still retaining his authority to make any significant decisions.

Another factor has to be the political and military pressure Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu placed on Egypt. Lord knows Netanyahu threatened to tear up the 1975 Camp David Accords over Muslim Brotherhood and launch preemptive air strikes....

There probably wouldn't have been the second revolution a couple years later and then the counter coup against the Muslim brotherhood/Dignity party unity government.

I don't think that army would have bear long islamist president. There was conflict between Muslim Brotherhood and Egyptian army decades. Probably we would see military coup and very autotarian regime. And ISIS might be even more active in Egypt as in OTL.

Best case, the military overthrows him at the first given opportunity.

Worst case, Egypt becomes a despotic AND theocratic hellhole on par with what we're seeing emerge out of Syria.

Best case, the military overthrows him at the first given opportunity.

Worst case, Egypt becomes a despotic AND theocratic hellhole on par with what we're seeing emerge out of Syria.

Problem with military is only that it hardly gives democracy new chance.

My point was more that they're lucky they don't have a terrorist organization (Hamas or Muslim Brotherhood) as their government.