DBWI: McDonalds was a national chain?

McDonalds and In-n-Out have long competed for the title of most beloved regional Californian fast food chain. But I have to wonder if it could have ever become a national chain without sacrificing the high quality and flavor of the food?

So what would McDonalds look like as a national - perhaps even a global chain?

Wasn't their an offer to turn McDonalds into a franchise much earlier than when it actually became one? Suggested by roy kroc or somebody

Deleted member 94680

It's a pretty good burger place, although a tad bit overrated. Went there a couple times on a road trip with my friends, it's alright but not the best.
Burger? As in Hamburger? Like German food? Ah, ok. We call them frikadeller here in the U.K.

It's a pretty good burger place, although a tad bit overrated. Went there a couple times on a road trip with my friends, it's alright but not the best.

Having moved to California, don't let the people who live here let you hear that. They practically worship the place.

Wasn't their an offer to turn McDonalds into a franchise much earlier than when it actually became one? Suggested by roy kroc or somebody

Yeah, but the McDonald brothers didn't have a good feeling about him and thought he would cut quality control - something the McDonald family has kept a tight lid on.

Fast food is way too regional for a place like McDonald’s, a subpar burger chain in SoCal, to catch on. Here in Ohio we have Wendy’s (for those not from the Great Lakes region, it’s fresh-made square-shaped burgers and thick-cut fries; the founder named the chain after his adopted daughter.) We can’t even get Kentucky Fried Chicken here; the Wendy’s family pushes Sisters Chicken on us like the damn Mafia.

There would have to be a way to nationalize fast food and not make it so damn regional.

It couldn’t compete with America's number 1 fast food chain Jack in the Box! That’s a place that’s got everything!

Plus you can get a taco at breakfast or pancakes at night if you want too!

ASUKIRIK

Banned
I think health would be a lot worse. Many a study have shown MacDonald's can cause a lot of bad things.
let's be fair, their deep-fried in pork-fat triple crispy beef burger wrapped in shredded bacon served with onion rings and mayo coated chicken wings aren't your ideal daily meal.

They're pretty much the ideal food for festivity though. There's a reason their mascot Clown, Ronald McDonald is a comically fat guy.

I wonder if Burger Chief success on the East Coast would have been effected .
It hard to image Mac Donald being more successful with out others like Jack in the Box and Burger Chief , not having restaurants every few blocks.

McDonald's would probably be a minor fast food chain (such as White Castle), operating in the shadow of bigger fast food chains such as Burger Chef or Jack in the Box.

Fast food hamburgers are interesting. But in my neck of the woods it would have to replace fried chicken. I have a hard time seeing people take burgers over Popeye's.

This suggestion is utterly ASB. Who has ever heard of a National restaurant chain. Obviously around this same time you had the emergence of national hotel chains with Holiday Inn. However restaurants are too individual and quality control is simply not possible. There is an extensive literature on this topic on business schools.