DBWI: Margaret Thatcher wasn't elected President of the United States in 1980

Exactly what it says on the tin, what would have happened if Margaret Thatcher lost the election in 1980 and didn't become President. How would this have affected politics, hell how the 1980's themselves turned out due to, well... basically everything she did for both good and ill.

Well, the relationship with Britain might not have broken down. I know it seems ridiculous that anything could have prevented the break of '87, but without the close relationship between President Thatcher and Prime Minister Reagan, the two countries wouldn't have coordinated as closely, meaning the Green plans wouldn't have existed, and thus been disastrous for the British when they were leaked to the Indians. Preventing the destruction of Manchester might have saved San Fransisco, too, and California might still be inhabited.

I also think the Unified Israeli/Palestinian government might have lasted far less than the 30 years (and counting) it has in our world. The destruction of East Jerusalem via French dirty bomb did quite a bit to unify the Israelis and Palestinians, and the war that followed did even more. On the same note, Paris probably would still be around instead of a radioactive crater. Of course, that would mean the 1988 olympic games in Lyon wouldn't have ended with fully half of the IOC getting cancer, and we might still have a horribly corrupt bureaucracy running the games.

That's on the state of New York for electing to the Senate no less than five times. :p

Hey, you ask for a radical leftist Democrat, you get a radical leftist Democrat. What was that quote of his about Wall Street? "I'm not saying they're all criminals, but most of them should probably be in prison." Populism sells, man; it worked for Thatcher after the Tehran crisis, after all.

OOC: what's your PoD? How can Margaret be a 'natural born citizen', and if the PoD is THAT early, how the heck does she end up being married to a guy named Thatcher? ??

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
OOC: what's your PoD? How can Margaret be a 'natural born citizen', and if the PoD is THAT early, how the heck does she end up being married to a guy named Thatcher? ??
I'd take a stab and say that the PoD is that her father decides, for some godforsaken reason, the US is preferably to the UK before 1925 (which given Alfred Roberts personality and inclinations, is a hard pill). Which would mean Margret is an utterly different person from who we know (and given how her father is an old school Liberal who heavily influenced her political outcome, the realignment of the 1960's and 70's, assuming her political position resembles anything like her's from OTL, will leave her out of the cold somewhat). Factoring other things, such as where her family immigrate, she is, once more, not Thatcher.

I'd take a stab and say that the PoD is that her father decides, for some godforsaken reason, the US is preferably to the UK before 1925 (which given Alfred Roberts personality and inclinations, is a hard pill). Which would mean Margret is an utterly different person from who we know (and given how her father is an old school Liberal who heavily influenced her political outcome, the realignment of the 1960's and 70's, assuming her political position resembles anything like her's from OTL, will leave her out of the cold somewhat). Factoring other things, such as where her family immigrate, she is, once more, not Thatcher.

OOC: I did assume that her parents had immigrated, Margaret's RL husband, Denis Thatcher is still British, but he is a businessman and was married and divorced prior to meeting Margaret due to his service in WWII taking him away from his life. I also assumed that they had met and gotten married like in RL, but I'm not sure if that would be realistic.