DBWI: Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird?

Have you guys read To Kill a Mockingbird? It's one of the best books in the Black Holocaust genre. Our teacher's reading it to the class and it's pretty good so far, it's basically about how a family hides blacks from the killing squads of the CSA during the Second Great War. So have you read it and what do you think of it?

Its the second Uncle Tom's Cabin. Pissed off the Rebs pretty bad though. I think that was the subject of the "Book Burning Riots" the US occupation army had to put down in '61.

Not a particularly good book. Its writing is mediocre and the saccharine moral against racism is nothing special. No one would have made a big deal about it if not for all the controversy it generated. I guess I can see the merit about reading old books to learn about society and the mindset of the people of the time it was written, but it's nothing I'd read on my own time, that's for sure.

(OOC: perhaps the term "holocaust" isn't entirely appropriate to refer to any other genocide, seeing as it's ultimately a word exclusive to Judaism. It would be like using "Ancien Régime" to refer to the Romanovs)

Not a particularly good book. Its writing is mediocre and the saccharine moral against racism is nothing special. No one would have made a big deal about it if not for all the controversy it generated. I guess I can see the merit about reading old books to learn about society and the mindset of the people of the time it was written, but it's nothing I'd read on my own time, that's for sure.

(OOC: perhaps the term "holocaust" isn't entirely appropriate to refer to any other genocide, seeing as it's ultimately a word exclusive to Judaism. It would be like using "Ancien Régime" to refer to the Romanovs)

OOC: Well, I'm using the terminology of a person in TTL which without the real Holocaust of Jews could the genocide of blacks a Holocaust.

OOC: Well, we certainly can't have any words or terms being exclusive. I remember when gay stood for something else.

ooc this is TL-191 universe right?

OOC: Yes.

IIRC: To all those who disliked the book-I personally think the scene where the Finches are sent to Camp Determination is extrmelely horrific and blunt. I still sometimes have nightmares remembering that incident, which caused it to be banned in some schools for excessive violence and gore but it's still powerful and moving.