DBWI Gay marriage not legalized during the 80s

Eh, the military continues to be an interesting place.

Contrary to stereotypes, the military took it better than most - probably because a good chunk of the enlisted, especially the women, were in the closet at that point. ROTC programs have always been popular with Lesbians, and after Reagan legalized gay marriage, they took to West Point and BCT just as much.

I know there was a lot of blowback when President Clinton tried to introduce "Don't Ask Don't Tell". Another thing I like Dubya for is finally getting rid of most of the sexual misconduct regulations from the UCMJ - they were ass backwards to the point you could be punished for things as mundane as masterbating and having sex out of wedlock.

One of the guys in my platoon was openly gay, good soldier. Only time we ever gave him shit about it was when his boyfriend snuck into our room in the barracks and their liason woke the rest of us up. I was on the top bunk, it was awkward.
"Guys, I'm happy for you, and I'm gonna let you finish, but could you not do this the night before I have a PT test?"
"Yo Korsgaard, no homo or nothing, but could you keep talking? You're accent is damn sexy, and I've always had a thing for European accents."
"I hate you both... so much..."
"Love you too big guy, get some rest, sorry to wake ya."

OOC: This is all mostly actually OTL, at least as of my time in the Army back in 2008-2012. Those sexual misconduct regulations are, as of OTL, still in place except for DADT. Yes, there were gay guys in my unit, and nobody much cared as long as they were good soldiers, which ost were. Even if they were pricks about waking you up at odd hours of the night with thier funtimes.

Speaking of Captian America, you also wonder if the filmmakers would have chosen to include the romantic motivation between the two without those extra two decades of cultural presence. I mean, you read some accounts from that period of those that served, a few do come off as what today would be seen as having gay undertones. Of course, if they didn't, assuming they still have a similar dynamics between Bucky and Steve I can still see pairing being very popular with fans. You know how some fandoms get when it comes to slash.

The Poarter

Banned
I don't really think the film makers were trying to go for that dynamic. I mean Captain America and Bucky have been confirmed to be straight via Stan Lee so it's probably not true.